Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
    Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Default Albany Golf Club - A walk in the wind

Rightio. So I intend to do a hole by hole walk through of my local track here. This will be my opinion only and will be done over time. Our Manager of Golf is a dab hand with a camera so as he posts up pics of the course, I will use them and do a walk through of the hole, some may take longer to do than others, and it will be added to slowly over time. I am in no rush.

The Albany Golf Course is set in traditional links land, but as far as I am concerned that is about the closest we will get to a "links" reference. The course is long and the only place you will find a level lie will be on the tee box, and then only sometimes. The first 9 holes began in 1898 and remain relatively untouched. A further 9 holes where added in the 1960's. Kikuyu grass makes this course play unlike a traditional links course. Drives rarely run on so the course plays a lot longer than its listed 6068 meters. When you step onto this course, it just feels different.

I love this course, its the first course I really played and is the only one of any decency in my area, so the following may be biased

Hole 1 - Par 4, 355 Meters - The Whaleback
    Hole1_tee.jpg

A nice start to your round of golf. You walk up to a raised tee box that is set back between a chute of trees forcing you to line up aiming down the left. The hole gets its name from the distinct hump that makes up a very narrow fairway running down to roughly 80 meters out. Unless you shape your shot perfectly left to right and hit a small area, you will be in the rough left or right. Left will leave you with a tricky lie while right will flirt with the thick bushline. If your going to miss, miss far right onto the 9th fairway.

Unless you clear a 250meter drive you will have an interesting sloped lie. This fairway gives visitors a taste of what is to come. More than once I have been asked "Are all the holes this hilly?" to which I laugh, you ain't seen nothing yet.

The green introduces you to the Albany's raised, small sloped greens from Back to front. Like most greens on the course there are no bunkers but the green has its own protections. Hitting from a sloped lie on the fairway means hitting the greens is a challenge. The first if you miss left or right you will be struggling to get up and down. Short is safe and this hole can easily be run up to. Going long on this hole is a challenge with the rear of the green sloping severely, if you short yourself on the back, left or rear you are going to have a bad day.

The green has many "levels" that are hard to spot. As the greens are not super fast all undulations really effect the ball. This green slopes pretty nasty on the right edge, be careful putting to those pin positions, too hard and its another 3 shots before you might be in the hole. Any pin position at the rear is no give me and the only safe pin position is front centre. A nice little starting hole with Birdie a real chance, but bogey more than likely.

Hole 2 - Par 4, 398 Meters - Memorial Drive
    hole2_green.jpg

With an index of 1 this hole plays easier that others and is a generous rating, however still not easy by any stretch of the imagination. You walk to a rasied tee box set back from the fairway. Between you and the short stuff is around 50-60 meters of thick nasty bush. Over time Woolybushes have grown, as well as the Juniper trees so low drivers need to be careful. This hole "doglegs" to the left so cutting the corner makes for a very short hole. However that shot is blind and if you stray just slightly to the left you will be in some of the thickest bush on the course. The right is safe with the 7th Green sitting off the right of the Fairway. However any shot near this green leaves you with a decent length shot into the green of around 165 meters to over 200 meters depending on the tee shot.

The safest route is to locate the Blue 100 meter marker on the right hand side of the fairway. If you hit a nice draw aimed at this you will be in the mayors office. There are 2 antenna in the distance on Memorial Drive, the aggressive player will take this line but reload anything to the left of these. The perfect drive will have the ball roll down to a flat hollow 135 meters out on the left.

The green is a tricky approach from either side of the fairway. It is a long green protected short right by a reasonable sized bunker. An approach right is safest and there is natural bank on the left that will move the ball to the green and part of the green encroaches on this hill. If you stray a fraction over that hill you are under massive pines and other trees which make getting the ball out below the branches but over the rough covered hill, a challenge.

The green has the familiar rear to front slope and is raised on the right past the bunker. Although this green does have subtle contours it is mainly governed by the encroaching hill on the left and most puts will roll to the right regardless of what you might see. A slippery hole but not too tough to putt on, once you get there.

Hole 3 - Par 4, 292 Meters - Peppermint Hill

Hole 4 - Par 5, 496 Meters - The Old Clubhouse
    Hole4_pin.jpg

This is a beautiful golf hole. Named after the old clubhouse that stood just beyond the green, this was an awesome hole to watch people finish their round on. You stand on a raised tee box looking out over the magnificent Middleton Beach. The view is truly awesome. The tee box lines you up on the right hand side of the hole, aiming you down the left. This is the safest play. If you stray mildly off to the right hand side there are more than enough Woolly bushes to eat your ball, reload. Easier said than done as the wind generally is blowing in off the ocean forcing the ball to the right. There is a pine tree set back on the right hand side, this is a good target for distance, get to this tree and you are halfway home. Play your ball down the left off the tee and hope for a friendly roll back to the right. Too far left and the ball will bounce down the slopes and leave you with having to navigate several baby pines and developed trees giving you the option of playing down the 15th of bringing it meekly back to the 4th Fairway.

Many a long drive on this hole is stopped short as the ball hits the many up slopes in the landing area stopping the ball dead.

There is no flat lie on this entire hole until you get to the green, so expect the ball above or below your feet on either a downhill or uphill lie. Thankfully the main bunkers are to the left of the green with 2 stopping your ball from heading to the other fairway. With no protection in the front the safest route is to attempt to run it up onto the green, if you are that way inclined. If you slice right there is only one bunker but you would prefer to be in that rather than the garbage further right.

The green is one of the largest on the course and runs back to front. Like most greens at the Albany subtle contours are everywhere and with the slightly slower speed than most Perth courses, these contours come into play heavily. 3 putts are not uncommon if you have a long putt on this green. Putting to the front left has seen many golf balls continue off back to the fairway. This is one of the tougher greens on the course and can be quite brutal.

Hole 5 - Par 4, 327 Meters - Links Road

Hole 6 - Par 3, 171 Meters - The Old Road

Hole 7 - Par 4, 343 Meters - Seppings View

Hole 8 - Par 3, 134 Meters - Devil's Ridge

Hole 9 - Par 5, 493 Meters - The Dam
    hole9_pin.jpg hole9_green_wow.jpg

This hole is a pretty easy Par 5. Long and straight the real trouble only comes from the second and third shots in. Long hitters will get there in 2, but that carries a risk. Shorter hitters will have to contend with "the dam" that sits about 160 out from the flag and is so big and deep it takes my the width of the fairway and finished just shy of the 100 meter markers. It is "the dam" in name only and contains no water but the shots from within are from well below the hole, blind and usually on a nasty slope.

Most second shots will take place from the 100 meter marker or closer. If you can clear the ridge at about 75 meters you will have probably one of the only flat fairway shots on the course...you will need it. The green is narrow and long, with a ridge running across the back 3rd that gives the impression of a "tier". It slopes to the right so even if you hit the green on the right, it will most likely disappear down the gully of death on the right. You don't want to be down there. This means aiming further left and risking missing the green. Miss the green left and the ball will find its way into the scrub. Its a tight shot.

The green is relatively easy with the tier being the only obstacle. Most puts will roll to the right and although there is the traditional back to front lean on the back of this green, it is overpowered by the pull to the right. A relatively easy hole for this course. Easy 5.

Hole 10 - Par 3, 163 Meters - The Keyhole

Hole 11 - Par 5, 472 Meters - Thru the Gap

Hole 12 - Par 4, 342 Meters - Sea View

Hole 13 - Par 4, 400 Meters - Breaksea
    Hole13_pin.jpg

Rated number 2 on the course although I am still not sure why not number 1, the Breaksea is level with the rolling surf of Middleton beach. Its not uncommon on windy days to have the spray from the surf reach you on the green. The Tee is set back in a natural Tea Tree patch. From here unless the wind is blowing straight in your face, you would not know what is happening a mere 50 meters away.

The tee box aims you to the right, which is the safest play as there really isn't much trouble out there but getting home in 2 is a struggle. Left makes this hole very short however the car park for the beach is just beyond the out of bounds, more than one car has felt the wrath of a wayward tee shot. There is a grey roof on the mountain beyond the course with a startling bright chimney. This is the perfect line with a slight draw. If you can manage to fly the hill (near impossible in a strong head wind) this hole will feed the ball down to the only flat area of the hole around 140-150 meters out.

The approach is up hill, so club up accordingly, and the green is raised meaning running it up is harder than most. Flying the ball to the large green is usually the best bet or risking the hill on the right to feed the ball onto the green. Too far right however and you will head down a steep, deep grass gully where the local Tiger Snakes wait in anticipation. Go long or left and this hole will make it very hard to get up and down.

The green slopes rear to front with drop offs at the rear and both fronts. This is easily the slipperiest and hardest green on the course. Getting a birdie here is a rare feat, one worth boasting about. I have seen more 3 putts on this hole than any other 3 holes combined. The wind is unaffected at green level so the ball will keep rolling on some days, stop suddenly on others and generally just act "unnaturally".

This hole can ruin your day, or put you on cloud nine. If the wind is behind you (rare) have a rip and don't be afraid. A solid 5 on this hole is nothing to be sneezed at. This hole is a good thermometer for how your day is going. Long hitters will love this hole, but I have seen the longest of hitters still need a strong 3 wood after their drive if the wind is against you.

Hole 14 - Par 3, 126 Meters - By The Pines

Hole 15 - Par 4, 312 Meters - The Garden

Hole 16 - Par 5, 496 Meters - The Woolybush

Hole 17 - Par 4, 358 Meters - The Gully

Hole 18 - Par 4, 390 Meters - The Gunbarrel
    Last edited by Slothman; 8th April 2016 at 11:24 AM.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

I remember the 18th when it was a Par 3 !!! (With the old shed behind it)

Although I am old and it was a long time ago

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

If ever a course were in need of a chainsaw its Albany. Great little site, but overgrown to buggery. Routing is also sub-optimal. Too many holes look the same - just gunbarrel down the middle of a dune corridor

Some amazing ground movement over the whole site and some gorgeous moments, but just needs a few mill spent and it would be world class. Alas that's a few mill more than they have

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Your club photographer is amazing. Just looking at those 3 pics I'd have thought Albany was a top ten course in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by westy View Post
    If ever a course were in need of a chainsaw its Albany. Great little site, but overgrown to buggery. Routing is also sub-optimal. Too many holes look the same - just gunbarrel down the middle of a dune corridor

Some amazing ground movement over the whole site and some gorgeous moments, but just needs a few mill spent and it would be world class. Alas that's a few mill more than they have
    Cant really argue with much of this. The couple million won't help though. Being listed historical site (something like that) they are not allowed to touch most of the course to a degree where they can't even use bricks on a retaining wall or cart part as that was not in the original style *shrugs*. We get the security of the listing, but it comes with some rather nasty conditions.

The local volunteers have been hard at work taking chainsaws and other equipment to the course. But not overdoing it. You can now find your ball in the shite, but your still in the shite.

I think the true appreciation comes from this course once you play it more than a handful of times to experience the effect of the wind. But generally...yes most holes are the same direction and general layout. One thing I have noticed, people either love it or hate it. If you like resort style golf, you will hate this course, if you are after a traditional "links" style course, you will not like this course...if you love golf, you will love this course.

That is a bit of a generalisation, but I think sums it up as best as I can put it.

Quote Originally Posted by Icestorm959 View Post
    Your club photographer is amazing. Just looking at those 3 pics I'd have thought Albany was a top ten course in Australia.
    You wait till you see other shots I have. The 9th and 18th get the most as the club manager can just wander down with his camera. Some of the shots of the 9th hole.....awesome. I will do that one next

Senior Member Major Winner

Nice work Slothman
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

I will get back to updating this again now the sun is out and I have a chance of taking some pics and uploading them somewhere.

Also anyone coming down for the Classic this weekend? I wasn't going to play due to bad form but the course in in EPIC condition, so I signed up just to get to play it at its best. The greens are amazing right now. Running true but not overly quick. If you are down, you are in for a real treat

Thread Information