Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default Jimandr v Jono 16/5/06, Jimandr wins 3&2

At this stage it looks like we are playing at the same time as Matt and Coffs, at Carnarvon on Tuesday 16 May, but I think we deserve our own thread.

Besides, there is a chance that we can't make this game, so if we reschedule it needs to be announced here.

Jono has revealed that he has a poor record at Carnarvon. As my record is good, with 35, 2 up (par event) and 37 points in three visits, and I won matchplay games twice at Carnarvon, naturally I have jumped at the chance to play him there.

We have a matchplay history, but not when real prestige is on the line. In 'practice matches' I beat him 3/2 at Macarthur Grange, he caned me 8/7 at Riverside Oaks (but I had my worst ever round that day) and we had a hard fought square at Bayview.

I'm declaring myself favourite, although my recent form is patchy, with terrible putting hurting my scores. I predict Jono will be playing in some new addition to his bag (maybe a hi-bore. Could there be three drivers in his bag?) creating some doubt in his mind as to the health of his game.
    Last edited by jimandr; 16th May 2006 at 07:10 PM. Reason: result included
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I'll take 2-1 odds on jim if anyone wants a bet lol .

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

go Jono
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Go jono - cause jim kicked muy butt last yr :P

s9-1 Pro 10.5 | 906f2 15* 18.5* | Maxfli a10 Tour 3-p| x-forged 52* 58* | Odyssey Black I9

It will go the way every match against Jim goes.

Both players will play average golf, & although Jim scored less point on stableford, he will win the matchplay on the last hole, or in extra holes.

Hasn't anyone noticed, it doesn't matter how good or bad you play, Jim will always just scrape through like a true matchplayer.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by connico
    I'll take 2-1 odds on jim if anyone wants a bet lol .
    How does this work? Jim is the favourite. So you have greater than 50% chance of winning if you bet on Jim. If I put $10 on Jim and he wins, how much do I get?

Shouldn't it be 1-2 odds?

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    How does this work? Jim is the favourite. So you have greater than 50% chance of winning if you bet on Jim. If I put $10 on Jim and he wins, how much do I get?

Shouldn't it be 1-2 odds?
    I think both you & I should take Connico on and put couple hundred on Jim.

i give you back 50 for being right, and i take the other 50 for transactions fees?? muahaha

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

I'll be booking 2 groups tomoz if i can, if not just one group, maybe pinglauncher could help booking another group?

Book us in, Matt.

Tuesday at Carnarvon is an Open Event. You shouldn't need Ping's help to get two groups booked.

If Jono is betting on me to win, but if he is at juicier odds, I may back him to win, do we get a situation where we are both trying to throw the game?

Remember Fine Cotton, Hansie Cronje, Salim Malik, the 1919 World Series, hundreds of dodgy league and AFL games since betting became legal. Gambling spoils the sporting event. Having said that, I cannot be bought, except with a bacon and egg roll.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I think the sledging in this thread needs work.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

we will have to show them how its done Pete.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr
    Book us in, Matt.

Tuesday at Carnarvon is an Open Event. You shouldn't need Ping's help to get two groups booked.

If Jono is betting on me to win, but if he is at juicier odds, I may back him to win, do we get a situation where we are both trying to throw the game?

Remember Fine Cotton, Hansie Cronje, Salim Malik, the 1919 World Series, hundreds of dodgy league and AFL games since betting became legal. Gambling spoils the sporting event. Having said that, I cannot be bought, except with a bacon and egg roll.
    I'd back you to win if it was a bacon and egg roll eating contest ...

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Sorry guys, have only just noticed this posting. Hope Matt can book the groups. Should not be any problems.

could only get 12.15 for 1 group, is this ok?

That should be fine, Matt.

Thanks for doing the honours Matt. Title of the thread now signifies an official venue and starting time. A late start could mean a dodgy finish in the dark. Hope we don't have to go extra holes.

I'll probably have a home game on Sunday, which I will now treat as an official Practice Round, working on my many weaknesses.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Who Won?

Come on, the guy crying can stop and post a result can't they?
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

in the title now, great consistant play too

Be patient, Grant.

Indeed, the winner was Jimandr 3&2.

I told Jono not to play me at Carnarvon, as I always seem to play well there. My Matchplay record there is now 3 from 3. I played well again today until I got to dormie 4, and then had a late round collapse, but not enough to throw away the win.

We started on the 10th, and both had a really steady and consistent first nine. I had eight 2-pointers to start, and Jono had 6 two pointers, a one and a three. I was one-up at the 17th (our 8th), and Jono chipped in for par (controversially, as even though I was on the green, I was further away, so he played out of turn) to get back to square. I made a great up&down on 18 to turn at 1 up.

Jono's game started to desert him a bit, while mine got better, so I was four up with four to play. I threw away the next, but hit a good shot on the par 3 7th to stagger home.

I'll post the actual scores of the day in the Matt v Coffs thread.

My next opponent is Brad. I'll see if I can talk him into playing at Carnarvon, but I'll bet others will advise him not to.

Well played Jim. It was close until the 2nd hole (our 11th). We were square at that stage after I holed a 6 footer on the 1st to win the hole. And then I had a 4 hole brainfart to go from square to 4 down with 4 to play. Managed to peg one back but only managed to square the 7th (our 16th) to go down 3 and 2. Again, my putting let me down, and also my driver on a couple of tight driving holes.

Whoever is playing Jim next, I suggest you don't play him at Carnarvon. The combination of tight tree lined fairways and the pre-round bacon and egg roll seems to work wonders for him. And that bloody putter of his ... I knew I was in trouble when he holed an 10 footer for a par and a half on the 10th (our 1st).

Well played Matt also ... Especially when you figured out how to control that driver of yours ...

Thread Information