Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
    Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Default Brisvegas swing analysis By Addam smith

Hi Big fella

I like to get my student's while over the internet to imagine that I am looking at you face on ,and a big clock is behind you, to make it easier to understand. address is 6 o'clock, quarter way back is 7.30 pm, Half way back is 9 o'clock and full swing is 10.30 pm.
    impact is back to 6 o'clock then follow though 3 O'clock and top of follow thu or the finish 12. o'clock.
    Remember the clock is behind you.
    Dion, Your bottom half (waist down) is great. your hip rotation is great around 40 degrees turn, really good.
    Your feet are very stable and your weight tranfer is good.

Okay here is where I feel your real prblem lies. Your takeaway is really good until your left hand passes your right leg.( around 7 30 ) At this point your right elbow disconnect's from your body( flying elbow) Not good, what then is happening is your club get's to steep. If you can keep your right elbow connected to your body At this point ( so from 7.30 thu to 9 o'****) try to keep your elbow close to your right rib's.This will flaten out your swing a lot and help a lot with your downswing and thu impact. At the 9 o'clock position when I draw a line down your shaft the line should run all the way to the ball , but in your case it is pointing to your right toe's. If you use my method you will find by the time you are at 9 o'clock the butt of the club should point toward's the ball.

The top of your swing is good, no over swing and only a touch across the line. However your left wrist is cupped at the top the left wrist should be flat as possible.

Just remember this Dion if you can fix the problem with your steep swing, and flaten it out a bit your downswing will also improve and your swing will get much more consistancy to it.

Okay this is a good drill for you to do.
    Take the club back to 7.30 (left hand just past right foot) from here, make sure that your right elbow is tucked against your right rib's.( your left wrist flat and your right wrist cupped ) Keep your left arm straight and imagine that your left arm is a arm on a clock and keep lifting your left arm toward's your right shoulder.Keep the lower part of your body (waist down) as still as possible. The main thing to look at here is at the top of your back swing (10.30 ) Your left wrist is flat not cupped and your right wrist is cupped.( you should see in your right wrist your skin folds clearly).

Now bring the club back to address position and repeat this again and again.

I hope this help's Dion and maybe put this into your pre shot routine, and do this twice before you hit the ball.

Mate the rest of your swing looks good.

Best wishes
    Addam smith

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Ta mate. I'll work on flattening it out at the range.

I've been watching (over & over!) the down the line vid and it seems I get it onto a decent plane on the downswing. I have to make an adjustment (plane shift and flatten out left wrist) to get there, but that's what I'm doing now to compensate for my backswing. No wonder I'm inconsistent!

Thanks in advance for my new flat swing!

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Just thought I'd butt in and show my artistic talents ...

Here's Brisvegas' top position:

The red lines show how his left wrist is cupped at the top and how this leaves the clubface open (ie. too vertical) at the top instead of being parallel to the left arm.

In contrast, here's Goosen's top position:

The left wrist is flat which leaves the clubface square (ie. parallel to left arm) at the top.

As Dion mentioned, he flattens the left wrist on the way down. There are pros who play with cupped wrist at the top, especially those with strong left hand grips. Fred Couples comes to mind ... Actually, your top position is not unlike Freddy Couples, Dion.

I never realised how "flat" people like Goosen got at the top. Wish I'd have had lesson when I first started golf. Bloody Nicklaus has ruined me....

golflink WITB

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Flat left wrist at the top is a hard one to get...can depend on grip somewhat can't it addam?

Yes if you have a strong left grip, I beleive a neutral grip is the best to help people to get flat left wrist at top and flat left wrist at impact. I teach this way and everyone has different view's on the swing. I played for years with a strong left and right grip and always fought a pull hook or a block. I beleive Dion has a very solid swing and if he's left wrist was flater at the top the club would be squarer at impact. I find giving a grip lesson over the net almost imposible. Because so many people grip one way hit a bad shot and go straight back. The grip is one of the hardest things to change.Also if the club is set up to far back at address instead of as I told Andylo off the left nut it can also affect what position the club is at when you are in the 7.30 position that will then affect the 9.00 position and so on.

addam

goughy

Glad you said that about the pull/hook and the block. My grip got really strong and they were my misses. Equal left and right and way more than down the middle.

Just working on a more neutral grip now days.

Had a play on Addam's launch monitor today. Average numbers after 20 shots...

109 mph clubhead speed
    155 mph ball speed
    13.5 deglaunch angle
    3100 rpm spin rate
    264 yard carry
    pretty straight, ie. no significant inside/outside path.

Damn, no excuse for a new driver then. Áll I can do it swing this one harder!

Cheers Addam!

golflink WITB

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Pretty good launch characteristics, Vegas. Was it the Vector?

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Nice specs vegas!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Pretty good launch characteristics, Vegas. Was it the Vector?
    No it wasn't a Vector. I don't know what it was, sorry. Addam doesn't rate the Vector too much.

The numbers are pretty similar to the ones I got from Terry's Vector ages ago at Oxley though. What was interesting to see was the increase in spin and launch angle when I used a ProV1x for a few swings at the end. Compared to the generic two-piece rocks, the results weren't as good. Looks like I can start buying Pinnacles and save a few bucks...

golflink WITB

Hi Dion
    It was the golf achiever II
    Brisy was swinging like a pro.
    Addam

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by BrisVegas
    What was interesting to see was the increase in spin and launch angle when I used a ProV1x for a few swings at the end. Compared to the generic two-piece rocks, the results weren't as good.
    I'm interested to read exactly how big a difference there was Vegas

X's are classed as a pretty low spin ball off the driver i believe
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Thread Information