Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Member Club Pro

Default Portable Launch Monitors

Hi guys

new to the forums here, stumbled on it today when looking around for info on portable launch monitors.
    reading through, seems like lots of knowledgeable people here willing to help out fellow golfers.

ive been looking around for a portable launch montior.

questions would be:

- are they worth it?
    - whats best to get? been looking at voice caddy sc200, ernest sports es 14 and the sureshot versions. mainly because these are the most available on ebay currently.
    - the optishot2 caught my attention due to the golf simulator type setup (who knows how good it would be).

im looking for one of these as i have no range close, and in the winter months, can get home and hit some balls in the garage with data feedback.

might be totally not worth it and would love to hear what you guys out there have to say about these.

thanks

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

I bought the optishot and sent it back for a refund. It was junk, it was telling me all the wrong data and I had been on a trackman a few days before so my numbers from that were pretty accurate I reckon. The optish*t was way out.

Senior Member Major Winner

The Sure Shot had me interested but never got around to getting one. http://www.sureshotgps.com/sureshotg...ch-monitor.php
    Always found another club to buy instead
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Depends how accurate you want the unit to be.

From memory (I could be very wrong) something like the SureShot unit picks up the ball speed, club head speed and then depending on what club you have selected on the unit inputs typical launch & spin numbers for the selected club to give you an estimated distance.

If you want something that will be accurate you are looking $$$ - I believe the GC2 is still the 'cheapest' way to go to get something with really accurate readings though without the extra attachment it won't give you anything other then Ball data (Speed/Launch/Spin).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dM. View Post
    Depends how accurate you want the unit to be.

From memory (I could be very wrong) something like the SureShot unit picks up the ball speed, club head speed and then depending on what club you have selected on the unit inputs typical launch & spin numbers for the selected club to give you an estimated distance.

If you want something that will be accurate you are looking $$$ - I believe the GC2 is still the 'cheapest' way to go to get something with really accurate readings though without the extra attachment it won't give you anything other then Ball data (Speed/Launch/Spin).
    GC2 is the only one that would be worth using indoors from what I understand. Forget All those cheap ones. Also, Track man and flight scope use radar to track a ball flight so don't even worry about those.

If you want something to give you proper data, I think GC2 would be the only one to look at but as mentioned above, they are expensive. If you want strike data as well as ball data, you will need the HMT attachment to go along with the GC2. To quote an internet pro, "strike is king". Ball data can be misleading if you don't know how well you are striking it.

Welcome BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz18 View Post
    GC2 is the only one that would be worth using indoors from what I understand. Forget All those cheap ones. Also, Track man and flight scope use radar to track a ball flight so don't even worry about those.

If you want something to give you proper data, I think GC2 would be the only one to look at but as mentioned above, they are expensive. If you want strike data as well as ball data, you will need the HMT attachment to go along with the GC2. To quote an internet pro, "strike is king". Ball data can be misleading if you don't know how well you are striking it.

Welcome BTW.
    We used a Flightscope Kudu 2 indoors but you needed to have a long hitting room for it to get enough data to be fairly accurate. Personally out of the two I preferred the GC2 and with the HMT attachment it would be my 'go to' if I was investing in one of these.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Skytrak is about 1/4th the price of a GC2 and about 80% as good (as the base unit, obviously incomparable once you add HMT to the GC2). Good for simulating as well. Not great for portability because its a much bigger pain to set up.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

My coach uses Flightscope and they are awesome and I really like the look of Skytrak..they are the realistic two I would buy
    Callaway GBB 10.5 AD DI 6S shaft
    Callaway 2 Hybrid X Stiff Kuro Kage
    Callaway Apex Pro 16's 3-PW KBS X Stiff shafts
    Callaway 50,60 Mack Daddy 2 wedges
    Titleist SM5 54 Wedge
    Bushnell Rangefinder
    Titleist Pro V1
    Odyssey Putter 34' with Superstroke 3
    Footjoy Shoes
    Oakley /Radar Lock Path Prizm lenses
    Sligo/Oscar Jacobson/Ukko Clothing
    Loudmouth/Footjoy Gloves

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

LM are worth it if you happen to be a good player who wishes to work indoors and work on clubface control and swing path. I can't see how a LM indoors would help a golfer who has a flip or flip/roll release through impact. The algorithm of these indoor units may not computer what is really occurring through impact with a fast rotating clubface. Waste of money in my opinion.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Anyone used sureshot?

Member Club Pro

thanks for the feedback so far.
    certainly like the look of skytrak, out of my price range though.

not a good player, so if what you say is true razaar, then looks like ill put this idea on the backburner.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug View Post
    thanks for the feedback so far.
    certainly like the look of skytrak, out of my price range though.

not a good player, so if what you say is true razaar, then looks like ill put this idea on the backburner.
    A better training aid would be a couple of pieces of foam or rubber to set up an inside to out pathway on the back swing side of the ball. Make the takeaway straight back without the clubface opening and swing the clubhead between the foam/rubber guides out at your target. Pro golfers do this drill on occasions when working on swing path.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Member Club Pro

sounds good....ill give it a try.
    my golf game is steadily on the improve, although ive flatlined a little of late. started playing consistently 12 months ago, starting on 28 handicap. down to 19 now, but always on the lookout of ways to improve my game, hence the question around the launch monitors.
    always happy to take on any advice!!

1.jpg

Razaar, is this the drill you are talking about?

Nope. Two strips of thin foam or rubber with the outside rubber parallel to the target line from the ball position (length on trail side), the inside rubber parallel to the target (length on target side). The concept is to promote width on both sides of the swing with an inside attack on the ball.

My Head hurts !!!!!
    Proud to use Circle"B" Sun Protection!

Member Trainee Pro

I have been present when testing of a Trackman, Flightscope, GC 2 and ES 14 were conducted together and unfortately the numbers on the ES 14 are way out.

For that sort of money a skypro could be worth a look depending on what data you are looking for.

Thread Information