Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default 2016 European Tour

Got so excited last night that there was finally some live golf back on the box. Didn't get to watch too much of it but it's great to have it back on. Would like to see a young player come out of the woodwork this year to take on Rory and Henrik and the like. Would like to see Dubuisson do well too. He's cool to watch. Would love to see a bit more of Robert Rock as well. He's one of my favourite European Tour players.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Robert Rock is playing in the tour opener, in that well known european location of South Africa. He might get some TV time tonight, as I'd think he would be in a feature group.

He is one of my least favourite players, mainly because he in the top 5 of players least likely to go bald. And he doesn't wear a hat just so he can show off the hair.

It doesn't really concern me either way, but the SA Open seems to show us how deep the quality of South African golf is. They have lots of good players, and as we saw at Royal Pines, a seemingly endless supply of good looking young players. I wonder what they do that seems to be working so well.

Also, doesn't The Goose look strange with his beard. He just doesn't look like The Goose. He isn't putting like he used to, either.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

I am having a lot of difficulty retaining interest in the Eurasia Cup, currently on my TV. It is a pity that the best Asians (and some Europeans) aren't playing, which perhaps is an indicator that this event doesn't really have the respect of the players. Actually, for that very reason I'm a bit surprised Poulter and Westwood are playing, but I reckon they may see this event as a way to get in Darren Clarke's good books for when captains picks are being handed out for the Ryder Cup.

The one very interesting thing I have seen so far is Shingo Katayama's putting style. I'm watching with sound turned off, so maybe the commentators have mentioned it and I missed it, but he is still using a broomstick with a fixed/frozen elbow angle, so it looks like anchoring to me.

Perhaps someone who is passionate about this issue can check it out on tomorrow's telecast and explain why his stroke complies. Every other ex-anchorer seems to to have gone back to a conventional style.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    I am having a lot of difficulty retaining interest in the Eurasia Cup, currently on my TV. It is a pity that the best Asians (and some Europeans) aren't playing, which perhaps is an indicator that this event doesn't really have the respect of the players. Actually, for that very reason I'm a bit surprised Poulter and Westwood are playing, but I reckon they may see this event as a way to get in Darren Clarke's good books for when captains picks are being handed out for the Ryder Cup.

The one very interesting thing I have seen so far is Shingo Katayama's putting style. I'm watching with sound turned off, so maybe the commentators have mentioned it and I missed it, but he is still using a broomstick with a fixed/frozen elbow angle, so it looks like anchoring to me.

Perhaps someone who is passionate about this issue can check it out on tomorrow's telecast and explain why his stroke complies. Every other ex-anchorer seems to to have gone back to a conventional style.
    There are a few Europeans that are playing the Eurasia Cup that are close to being selected for the Ryder Cup on the European team I think. If you check the standings for the Ryder Cup and the team members for Europe in this one, I think guys like Broberg, Willet, Fitzpatrick, Kjeldsen and co are all within spitting distance of playing their first Ryder Cup so there is some strong representation on Europes team from what I've seen.

It looks like Abu Dhabi is the place to be this week. Appearance money must grow on trees there.

Jordan, Rory and Rickie Fowler in the same group. Stenson and Kaymer on the other side of the course. I presume there will be other big names in the afternoon half of the draw.

Apparently Jordan is playing in Singapore next week, too.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    It looks like Abu Dhabi is the place to be this week. Appearance money must grow on trees there. Jordan, Rory and Rickie Fowler in the same group. Stenson and Kaymer on the other side of the course. I presume there will be other big names in the afternoon half of the draw.Apparently Jordan is playing in Singapore next week, too.
    The game is fortunate that two of the top three ranked players in the game are prepared to travel as much as they are.
    Forum needs more banter.

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Appearance money grows in the ground over there!

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Amazing what they have done in that part of the world. It could easily have gone down to he same path as Saudi Arabia. Pretty smart move given the oil glut etc.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Banned

Pretty much used slave labour to get there though so not that amazing to me. Still look like cool golf courses and I do like the Middle East events. Always draw good fields.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Great field in Abu Dhabi this week. Very interested in watching Rors and Spieth head to head. Solid opening round by Rors...
    Ping G400 Max 9* w/ KuroKage TiNi Silver 60
    Titleist 917 F2 15* w/ Aldila Rogue Max 75 S
    TaylorMade TP UDI 20* w/ KuroKage 70 S graphite
    Mizuno MP-4 4-PW w/ Project X Rifle 6.0
    SM5 Vokey 50* F Grind & 54* F Grind
    SM6 Vokey 60* S Grind
    Bettinardi Queen B 8

For those thinking that watching the cyclists do 20 laps around Adelaide isn't very interesting, the remainder of the 3rd round is live on Fox1.

This promises to be one of the great tournaments. About 20 guys within 2 shots, and all of them with a story to tell. And Jordan finished last night, so those who refuse to watch him can watch all the other more exciting players finish this afternoon. I think Rickie is also hiding the tops of his shoes again, so that sight won't spoil your spectating either. EDIT. I just saw Rickie. The shoes are worse than ever, black hightops with white trousers. But, he's leading so he can wear what he likes.
    Last edited by jimandr; 24th January 2016 at 02:30 PM.

Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

This is set up for a cracking final round. Fowler up by 3 but a log jam after that, if he comes back slightly then it should be good.

How much better is this than the USPGA crap on at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by oldracer View Post
    How much better is this than the USPGA crap on at the moment
    Poles apart isn't it. Some decent putts being holed too. Rickie looks in control at this stage.

Richie looks the schniz

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Lucky Ricky has those hightop hiking boots on

Well that's made it a bit closer. Back to two shots.

Till he holes out for eagle , great shot that

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Wow! Nice bounce back eagle!!

Haha what a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by oldracer View Post
    Richie looks the schniz
    Richie Ramsay? Haven't even seen him on the telecast, even though he is having a decent round.

It was getting exciting for a while after Rickie (Fowler not Ramsay) had his lob wedge brain explosion on the par 3, but it is dull again with a three shot lead. Or is it exciting again, with the lead back to two?

It isn't quite as good as it was looking like it going to be this afternoon, but it is still by far the best tourney so far this year. Rory isn't going so well, but there are lots of good signs in his game. I think he'll have a good year if he stays healthy.

Banned

Anyone else think Robert Rock is one of the coolest golfers on the planet? I think it's cool how he's not a walking bill board and doesn't seem to give a stuff.

Edit: Just realised I've mentioned Robert Rock in the first post as well. I'm a bit concerned about myself now.

Turning into a good finish now

That should do it for Fowler. 2 shot lead with one to play. Pieters needs an eagle you'd think.

Thread Information