Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Senior Member Major Winner

Default 2015 S.A Champs Feedback

Post any comments/feed back about the 2015 Champs.
    We are keen to know what you liked or didn't like so we can think about what needs to be done for 2016.
    Tell us about how good or bad this years courses were and any experiences with welcoming or un-welcoming staff at any of the Clubs we played at. We already know of a few little issues and need to know if there were any others.

I'll kick the thread off and say Schnit House was House of much disapoint. We were crammed in like sardines, could not hear each other speak, two of the crew could not be fit in and the meal was small and average at best.
    I was looking forward to it and it was more disappointing than my golf game ☹.
    Last edited by Hatchman; 19th November 2015 at 05:28 PM.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

More me, less Lagerlover.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

What I liked:
    -the team aspect of the Friday game + I enjoyed the banter as it was fun & friendly
    -Wazas amazing trophy making; total legend for donating his time and materials
    -the mixture of courses played
    -the participation and enthusiasm from interstate visitors
    -RA; everything about this course is sheer class; from its members to its staff, the course and the brilliant quality of food

What I disliked:
    - the choice of places to eat although to be honest that is always going to be a lottery to some extent
    - the stableford match play format; to me match play should be the real thing
    - a few members at Gawler spoiling the experience for a select few of us
    - the travel; North / South / North was a logistical nightmare

All in all it was a fantastic champs event and topped last year by a country mile. Great to see everyone chipping in prizes and I hope that trend continues next year.

TC

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Positives:

The people - meeting more OzGolfers is always good and this was no exception. Seeing the ones we knew from last year again was also good (even 3pp).

The Kitchener Cup - the matchplay aspect of this adds something to what would otherwise just have been a warm-up round with nothing on it. It also helps people get to know each other as you will be in a group with 2 locals and 2 interstaters

2 day champs - adds to the banter and the achievement

The Tier 1s - RA was fantastic again and is my favourite course in SA, but Glenelg isn't far behind. As others have said, it is nice to play courses requiring some thought rather than just bashing the driver all day long. That's not to say I don't enjoy Kooyonga too, but it does seemed designed to play each hole a particular way

The other courses - Tanunda, Victor and Gawler were in good condition. We are blessed in SA that we could equally have chosen a different set of 3 courses and it would likely have been much the same.

Negatives:

The clash with the GSM/WA Champs - even them being in the same month is going to deter visitors from interstate to one or other of them, and the visitors are what makes the event extra special because they are the ones we only get to play with once a year (unless we ourselves travel interstate). Having said that, November does seem to be the best month to play here in terms of course conditions - if we go later in the year it will be dryer and hotter, and also starts to clash with Christmas/New Year and then Vic Champs. If we go earlier, the courses won't be in as good a condition which will be noticeable on the non-Tier 1s

The food arrangements - I think we should be more proactive and actually research/arrange this in advance next year. Potentially we could ask the club we choose for the Saturday to do something special for us - it benefits them, plus we'd know what we'd get.

For me personally, the way I played. Oh well, there's always next year.

Questions for interstate visitors:

Are you happy with the quality of the non Tier 1s you played?
    Everyone arranged their own accommodation both this year and last year - are you happy with this approach? Should we all sleep in cars in the same car park as Ferrins next year?

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Positives.
    Weather
    Golf courses were superb
    SA OZgolfers were very friendly and eager to help
    The locals that I met out and about accross the state were interesting and informative.
    The beaches at first light.
    Botanic Garden.
    Yiros from charcoal chickens on Grange road.
    Clarendon township
    The shower at room 18 The Links hotel
    The 4,guys who sold me stuff
    The little cafe at Grange Beach.
    Grange beach pier watching the dolphin swimmng under it.
    The birds of the open forrest
    Negatives
    Google maps getting me lost.
    Servo coffee
    Playing stableford from the foward tees
    The food at Links and schnitzhouse.

I have made comments in other threads about what I liked. Very short version: just about everything.
    To address some of Coalesce's questions, the most important thing to remember is that they are the SA Champs, and you need to keep the locals in mind at all times.
    Having said that, take note of today's weather and tomorrow's forecast. 36 today and 38 tomorrow. I can't play 2 rounds in that heat. So any changes in date should be forward not back.
    I would've liked more prizes though. Then I may have got one. I think everyone else who played 4 days got something except me.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

What I liked
    OzGolf champs friendliness, as always all good
    Contrast of courses, all great
    Fridays concept was cool

What I didn't like
    My crap golf
    Schitzhouse
    West End Beer

Highlights
    The look on Coalesce when I holed the bunker shot for birdie on the 3rd at Victor Harbour.
    Longest drive at RA, the only drive i hit that did not quack off the clubface.

Everything else was great, idea for next year's Sat night entertainment/dinner, Bare foot bowls with a BBQ at a bowling club would be really cool.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Here are some quick thoughts on what has been posted so far:

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    I'll kick the thread off and say Schnit House was House of much disapoint. We were crammed in like sardines, could not hear each other speak, two of the crew could not be fit in and the meal was small and average at best.
    I was looking forward to it and it was more disappointing than my golf game ☹.
    Though I was not in attendance, that is a bit of an embarrassment, apologies to those it concerns - it will be left off the venue list next year!

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    More me, less Lagerlover.
    So you're eating more, Lager on a diet!?

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    What I disliked:
    - the choice of places to eat although to be honest that is always going to be a lottery to some extent
    - the stableford match play format; to me match play should be the real thing
    - a few members at Gawler spoiling the experience for a select few of us
    - the travel; North / South / North was a logistical nightmare

TC
    - Places to eat obviously needs some attention!
    - Stableford Matchplay - I thought the Stableford scores were secondary for the Ironman comp, and that the matchplay WAS to be the real thing!? (H/Cs were collected just to match up the pairings as fairly/evenly as possible).
    - Gawler - yes there were a couple of arrogant prick members there BUT we have been there done that now, so not on the course list for next year.
    - North/South/North - that kind of happened by accident, Tanunda and Gawler were already in when the decision to join 3PP and LL at Victor Harbor was made, won't happen next year! For the Friday round we would be looking at somewhere not so far away to save the rushing about/drive of those people that fly in that morning; I know it's my home course but somewhere like The Vines might be a goer, only 40-45mins from the airport PLUS we could all have dinner there afterwards in the clubhouse!?

Quote Originally Posted by coalesce View Post
    Negatives:

The clash with the GSM/WA Champs - even them being in the same month is going to deter visitors from interstate to one or other of them, and the visitors are what makes the event extra special because they are the ones we only get to play with once a year (unless we ourselves travel interstate). Having said that, November does seem to be the best month to play here in terms of course conditions - if we go later in the year it will be dryer and hotter, and also starts to clash with Christmas/New Year and then Vic Champs. If we go earlier, the courses won't be in as good a condition which will be noticeable on the non-Tier 1s

The food arrangements - I think we should be more proactive and actually research/arrange this in advance next year. Potentially we could ask the club we choose for the Saturday to do something special for us - it benefits them, plus we'd know what we'd get.

For me personally, the way I played. Oh well, there's always next year.
    - The clash is unfortunate BUT for golf here in SA early November is the best time to have our Champs, weather, course condition etc are all favourable. Later it is highly likely to be uncomfortably hot, earlier it has the potential to be very wet and the courses boggy! I am of the opinion it stays where it is on the calendar!
    - Eating out/food: as per above, certainly needs looking at.
    - Cannot do much about how you played I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    I would've liked more prizes though. Then I may have got one. I think everyone else who played 4 days got something except me.
    All say 'Ahhhh' for Jim! I'm sure we could have found you something Jim! (give him a hug Peppas!)
    Last edited by nadg63; 17th November 2015 at 08:12 PM.

Not much I can say that hasn't been said.

Thanks to Nadg, Hatcy and other organisers. Thanks to members of the clubs we were lucky enough to play. Thanks again to Nadg for the use of the clicgear - most appreciated!

RA was special as always, and thoroughly enjoyed my rounds at Sandy Creek, Victor Harbour, and Kooyonga. Tanunda and Glenelg certainly exceeded expectations for me, 2 great days there.

Kitchener of the trip was the Yankalilla Victory Kitchener (thanks Nadge), and honourable mentions go to Bakery on Oconnell, and Absolutely Rapt @ Mount Compass.

Congrats to all the winners as well!

Edit: Dayum - too many windows open - got the threads mixed up:

Positive Feedback:
    Courses - superb
    Organisation - outstanding
    NTP and markers - excellent
    Trophies - best around

Negative Feedback:
    Prefer a true seeded draw on the last day
    Travel distance
    Courses with too many trees
    Too many damn flies

Overall, not too much to complain about. While not really a criticism, having RA on the Sunday every year, I worry it might become "stale".
    Last edited by benno_r; 17th November 2015 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nadg63 View Post

All say 'Ahhhh' for Jim! I'm sure we could have found you something Jim! (give him a hug Peppas!)
    Pretty sure he might've got one on Monday

If not there was plenty of high fives and fist bumps

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I would like to suggest there is a prize on Sat & Sun for lowest score off the stick. We have some very good low markers amongst us who are not likely to have over 40pts at RA. I think it would Create another contest within our groups and keep it interesting for them.

Default 2015 S.A Champs Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by highballin View Post
    I would like to suggest there is a prize on Sat & Sun for lowest score off the stick. We have some very good low markers amongst us who are not likely to have over 40pts at RA. I think it would Create another contest within our groups and keep it interesting for them.
    As the lowest marker for the last 2 years you would think I'd agree to this but I don't. I don't think an off the stick prize is necessary to cater for a few low markers and it requires all to play holes out rather than picking up when the shots are used up.
    If low markers want to win they just need to play better, simple IMHO. Personally I get more out of a higher marker playing well on good S.A Courses over my own desire to win. It won't stop me trying to do my best but it's more about the social aspect of the game for me.

If the majority think it's a good idea it will be in.

W.I.T.B

Yeah good point on playing out. Maybe a single figures stableford prize. I just think that some recognition for the lower handicap players would be good. More of a prestige thing than a big prize if you know what I mean.

A compromise would be to have multiple grades like your club comp would have.

I totally agree on the vines hosting the Kitchener cup next year. A big tick from me

I totally agree on the vines hosting the Kitchener cup next year. A big tick from me
    Is this because half the SAnkers are members at the Vines and you need the home course advantage for a chance to win back the cup? Just saying.

PS Kitcheners are delicious. The interstaters obviously appreciate them more so their appetite to win them is greater.

I like it. Don't have to be big prizes just some recognition for each grade winner.

I won't have the time to captain the SA team next year sorry... the commitment this year obviously affected my game.
    bio cell+ big stick - fly z+ 3W - b'bertha 4h - srickson 545/745
    46-50 RTX, 56-60 md2 - tank cruiser 38" count balance
    delilah smiley driver and MAGNETIC putter cover
    sun mountain bag C130S - clicgear & knob

That could be a possibility and I assume your talking nett in grades?
    The numbers we get don't require anything more than A & B thou. The hcp spread would also need to be worked out once all hcps of participants are known too.

If the field size is small this doesn't work either.

W.I.T.B

I like the idea of The Vines as Kitchener Cup venue.

Tanunda, Barrosa Valley and Lady Bay

W.I.T.B

That could be a possibility and I assume your talking nett in grades?
    The numbers we get don't require anything more than A & B thou. The hcp spread would also need to be worked out once all hcps of participants are known too.

If the field size is small this doesn't work either.
    Yeah I meant still have stableford but divide it into groups appropriate to the spread of players we have

Tanunda, Barrosa Valley and Lady Bay
    Assuming you don't mean playing all of those, we should try and avoid going north south north again. Having said that, wherever we play on Sat is likely to be outside the CBD one way or another

Tanunda, Barrosa Valley and Lady Bay are worthy options for the Saturday 1st Round of Champs. LLB and Tanunda we can get on easy enough. Barrosa I couldn't see being a problem but would need to confirm. There is no Comp round in the afternoon at LLB to enter thou if that bothers anyone wanting to Golflink their rounds.
    Dare I suggest my home track Kapunda for the Saturday. You'll be hard pressed to find a more welcoming club and group of people. Concession priced green fees plus comp fee for $20 or under (last group of guests I got on it only cost them either $10-15)

We won't get on Saturdays at tier 1&2's clubs in metro Adelaide as they are full members days.

I'd like to suggest Blackwood and Flagstaff Hill as options for rounds that are outside of Sat-Sun.

W.I.T.B

Assuming you don't mean playing all of those, we should try and avoid going north south north again. Having said that, wherever we play on Sat is likely to be outside the CBD one way or another
    Na, not suggesting all. Just listing possibilities to consider.

W.I.T.B

Had to double check. How'd you quote my post content before I'd finished and sent it.
    Special Mod powers

W.I.T.B

Thread Information