Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Senior Member Major Winner

Default 2015 S.A Champs Feedback

Post any comments/feed back about the 2015 Champs.
    We are keen to know what you liked or didn't like so we can think about what needs to be done for 2016.
    Tell us about how good or bad this years courses were and any experiences with welcoming or un-welcoming staff at any of the Clubs we played at. We already know of a few little issues and need to know if there were any others.

I'll kick the thread off and say Schnit House was House of much disapoint. We were crammed in like sardines, could not hear each other speak, two of the crew could not be fit in and the meal was small and average at best.
    I was looking forward to it and it was more disappointing than my golf game ☹.
    Last edited by Hatchman; 19th November 2015 at 05:28 PM.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

It's the first time I have played RA and lived here for nearly 40 years. Considering I play my home track 8-10 times a month and now that I'm with Ozgolf and get to play RA once a year, It won't get stale for me.
    There are still many tracks around SA that I still haven't played, and a lot that I've only played once. It all comes down to you guys that have played some of these courses to see their potential for Champs.
    Over the weekend I played 3 courses that I had never seen and enjoyed them all.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

RA and Kooyonga would be major attractions to me. If you can get on the best course in the state and mix the others up you are on the right track.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    I fully get what your saying Benno and is something we need to be mindful of.
    I like you, enjoy playing courses I've never played before.
    I think I can safely speak for my SA organising brothers in that the intention so far has been to include different courses in the mix around the Royal Adelaide game to avoid the pitfalls of being stale. Being able to get onto Royal Adelaide is one of the big attractions to get other fellow OzGolfers over for the SA Champs.
    At some point down the track we will run out of other new courses around that to play.
    Hatchy pretty much covers above how we as organisers have viewed the SA Champs, RAGC on the Sunday, then try to pick different locations for the other days. For a weekend round, RAGC is probably the only Grade 1 course we have a hope in hell of getting a booking, and that is only available to us on a Sunday. One thing to bear in mind where RAGC is concerned is the fact that it would not take too many more participants to take us over the available guest quota without getting another member on board to help out!

Where the Saturday round is concerned we are also quite limited in options as most clubs close to the CBD, (and by that I'm including the likes of The Vines, Blackwood etc, are normally fully booked out with their own members - hence the Champs having to travel a bit on that day. In some of the feedback I have received it has been mentioned that Tanunda Pines was preferred over Gawler/Sandy Creek; as not many visitors played Tanunda and I believe we can get on there for a Saturday round that already puts it in the running! (is probably the same distance northwards from the CBD as VHGC is southwards!?)

That would then leave the rounds for Thursday, Friday, Monday open for unused venues.

To keep it all 'close' from a traveling perspective isn't that straightforward, again due to course availability. Personally I am not a fan of heading all the way out to the Riverland, interstaters have already made to effort to travel here without lobbing the trek there on top PLUS it's a long way from the airport if having to rush back!?

Here is a hypothetical proposal for what next years Champs COULD be course wise, note 'could be', this is not to be taken as gospel, just a possible scenario!

Thurs - Flagstaff Hill/Adelaide Shores - that's close to the airport!?
    Fri - The Vines (Kitchener Cup)
    Sat - Tanunda - Champs Rd 1
    Sun - RAGC - Champs Rd 2
    Mon - Blackwood, (Glenelg/Kooyonga!?)

This would keep travel distances down, Tanunda being the furthest away, 95 minutes from the airport: Flaggy, Vines, Blackwood are approx 40 minutes from the city. Other course that spring to mind are Barossa, Links Lady Bay, McCracken, Fleurieu, (tho I'm still not sure what is happening down there!?), but al these are once again introducing long travel times, along with the North-South logistics.

We Can throw West Lakes and Grange in there as Options as well. Only saying Grange as Jimandr was stating he would like to play there as somewhere different.
    I am like Hatchy on this one and don't think it is worth the coin they are asking, especially IMO there are better tier 2 courses than at Grange.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Some of us aren't big fans of the place but Tee Tree Gully is honestly worthy of inclusion.
    My old man is a Monday member and I do know the Club Manager.

W.I.T.B

Some of us aren't big fans of the place but Tee Tree Gully is honestly worthy of inclusion.
    My old man is a Monday member and I do know the Club Manager.

That could be handy, I no longer know any members there hence why I didn't include it. Never been there, but I am guessing this would have to be a non-weekend round?

And we can all stay at TC's joint!!
    bio cell+ big stick - fly z+ 3W - b'bertha 4h - srickson 545/745
    46-50 RTX, 56-60 md2 - tank cruiser 38" count balance
    delilah smiley driver and MAGNETIC putter cover
    sun mountain bag C130S - clicgear & knob

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Quote Originally Posted by wbennett View Post
    RA and Kooyonga would be major attractions to me. If you can get on the best course in the state and mix the others up you are on the right track.
    +1

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

You guys are overthinking some of this, and reacting to every individual point made.

The bottom line is that the event itself is the main attractor, with the fun and banter and other stuff, and the Tier 1 courses are next in line. So you need to do what you can to get two tier ones on the roster each year. Royal Adelaide is being handed to us on a plate and at a discount, so we play there every year until Marcel gets tired of us.

My personal view is that the Kitchener Cup is best played on a Friday, at a lower level course. Saturday is wherever we can get on, Sunday is RA and Monday is either Kooyonga or Glenelg, depending upon how successful our local contact is. If our local contact is very successful, we may be able to do Thursday at one, and Monday at the other. I would certainly do a full 5 days if that was the likely schedule.

I didn't get to meet Dave T, but if Chilled needs a Kitchener to keep him onside, I'll buy it (and eat it before it reaches the course, probably).

RA might get stale for us eventually. For me, that could be 20 years into the future. I love the place.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Kooyonga on the Monday👍

I personally wouldn't mind a hit at the Grange but that is just me. I like to try different things sometimes, though I am also of the opinion when on a good thing then keep going with it, ie bulk kitcheners whenever I am in SA.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Lefty asked for feedback on the Vic Champs, maybe seek his thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by nadg63 View Post

That could be handy, I no longer know any members there hence why I didn't include it. Never been there, but I am guessing this would have to be a non-weekend round?
    Correct, would have to be a non weekend round. TTG is one of the most used courses in the state by its members.

W.I.T.B

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default 2015 S.A Champs Feedback

I'm sure there's plenty of courses we could still play that aren't Adelaide Shores

Grange could only ever be a Thu/Mon option as they will want too much money for us to get enough of a discount to attract enough local players (as we know no members). Potentially an afternoon round on Thurs on one of the courses and Mon on the other could be doable at about $100/head/round

More food would be good

Looks like I didn't put on any weight while in the southern state. What the F is all I have to say.

I'll kick the thread off and say Schnit House was House of much disapoint. We were crammed in like sardines, could not hear each other speak, two of the crew could not be fit in and the meal was small and average at best.
    I was looking forward to it and it was more disappointing than my golf game ☹.
    Geez Hatch after crisis crossing the state eating schnitzel, you found the boys a shit schnit. Should have gone out for some King George whiting.

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    Geez Hatch after crisis crossing the state eating schnitzel, you found the boys a shit schnit. Should have gone out for some King George whiting.
    Ordered King George Whiting at Kooyonga and for $19 got a small frozen piece of pre crumbed fish that had been reheated in oil or microwave with 4 medium sized chips and a salad garnish the size of a 50c piece.

Best breaky - Cafe at the Grange beach
    Best Lunch - Gawler GC
    Best dinner - Shitshouse

For me the trip soured when it became apparent that all the games would be off the forward tees. I know that my scores were shite but have never really tried in forward tee stableford. It's like you're used to playing best of three set tennis in Beisbane and then travel all the way to Adelaide for first to 4 games fast tennis. I would like to play this again so maybe I need to play more Stablefords with the vets to prepare psychologically.

I would like even more time for lunch in between nines.
    bio cell+ big stick - fly z+ 3W - b'bertha 4h - srickson 545/745
    46-50 RTX, 56-60 md2 - tank cruiser 38" count balance
    delilah smiley driver and MAGNETIC putter cover
    sun mountain bag C130S - clicgear & knob

I really enjoyed the lunch at Gawler.

Not that it was great but compared to all the other crap being dished up.

That lunch at Gawler was a mistake

Ferrins: Tanunda comp is always off the blue tees which is the second to last, you will not feel shortened by the experience should Tanunda host the Saturday game next year

As for RA - trust me you would not want to play off the blue tees

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    Ferrins: Tanunda comp is always off the blue tees which is the second to last, you will not feel shortened by the experience should Tanunda host the Saturday game next year

As for RA - trust me you would not want to play off the blue tees
    Blues at RA longer but not so bad, it's the Black plates that make you feel in-adequate.

W.I.T.B

Thread Information