Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    Facebook (and Google to a lessor extent) are bad, soulless companies, and we are their product, not their customers. That said, I can't help but side with them on this one. Why should news media be paid when users share links to their articles on facebook? They're shared as links back to the (usually paywalled) news website, so if anything Facebook/Google are sending more business there way. And yes, they're making a buck through advertisements.What makes news media special? Facebook make money of the original content of anyone who posts on Facebook, should those users be paid too?The other scary thing (for me) that this highlights is the power of news media, which is why the government is bending over for them. Find me a news article from the last 24 hours that is balanced and fair in its reporting on this issue... it's all painting Facebook as the big bad guy, because that's the agenda they're pushing.Federal government tells Facebook they need to pay if they want to keep linking news content. Facebook says "OK, we'll stop". Government says "oh no! you can't do this!". I don't like Facebook and Google. They don't pay enough tax. But I'm glad they're standing up to this attempted extortion.
    Agree with all of this. I’m not usually one to side with Zuck and his sociopathic company, but they’re in the right here. The govt is terrified of Murdoch and have constructed this ridiculous law to give the old bloke a wristy because after all these years he still hasn’t figured out how to make a buck online and won’t change his business model. No way Facebook risks contagion of this into their global business for such a poxy little business in Australia.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Its simple. Facebook makes billions becauase its a primary source of content, much of it is commmercial. Our govts policy is that Facebook has to share the love.

Because Facebook is a monopoly the media are forced to publish there otherwise they miss out as the others will. The reduced traffic to their own pages means they lose out on advertising revenue to Facebook.

Its not just about News and Fairfax, there is lots of little guys too.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 19th February 2021 at 08:55 PM.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Its simple. Facebook makes billions becauase its a primary source of content, much of it is commmercial. Our govts policy is that Facebook has to share the love.

Because Facebook is a monopoly the media are forced to publish there otherwise they miss out as the others will. The reduced traffic to their own pages means they lose out on advertising revenue to Facebook.

Its not just about News and Fairfax, there is lots of little guys too.
    Doesn’t Facebook drive traffic to news websites?

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Its simple. Facebook makes billions becauase its a primary source of content, much of it is commmercial. Our govts policy is that Facebook has to share the love. Because Facebook is a monopoly the media are forced to publish there otherwise they miss out as the others will. The reduced traffic to their own pages means they lose out on advertising revenue to Facebook. Its not just about News and Fairfax, there is lots of little guys too.
    I heard that the Govt Law didn't apply to the "little guys". In other words, it's the Liberal Party looking after Rupert again.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Isn't it said that Facebook revenue from Australia is a rounding error? Kinda seems they could care less what they make from here. Not sure whether we're the winners or not.

I'll admit that I reckon I consumed a lot of general News from the news and tech sites I followed on Facebook. I don't do Twitter or Instagram. And quite honestly, having it all corralled in one place was convenient.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Blog Entries

I don't use Facebook, etc. (except when I am a 23yo Indian female university student living in Berlin).

How are these companies exempt from plagiarism laws, by republishing other people's articles on their sites?
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I have found it both funny and disturbing that some people are unaware that they can actually go to a BOM or Govt. dept website to get information.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by damoocow View Post
    I have found it both funny and disturbing that some people are unaware that they can actually go to a BOM or Govt. dept website to get information.
    That's not the point.My FB feed was cultivated to provide a one stop point of local, regional, emergency and international information. If info interested me, I followed the links to the source.I happily blocked things I didn't want, and had a feed I was happy with that allowed quick information gathering.Now, it means I have to click through data from 20 individual sites. I don't have time for that shit.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    Doesn’t Facebook drive traffic to news websites?
    I assume that happens as well as others that just publish content in full on FB. But Google only drives traffic, and they have already agreee to a deal to pay up.

I dont understand the policy in full, one would have to read 500 pages to do so, and I dont care enough to find out. I just agree with the basic principle and now sit back and watch other countries follow suit.

THIS JUST IN: facebook will publish its own news content by in house journalists, this will keep us safe from all those biased media giants by only showing us news that Facebook wants us to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    I don't use Facebook, etc. (except when I am a 23yo Indian female university student living in Berlin).

How are these companies exempt from plagiarism laws, by republishing other people's articles on their sites?
    I don’t use it either Dotty but I’m not convinced it worked like that.

My understanding is it was a lot like here, people (including the publishers themselves) post links to YouTube videos or headlines and links to websites where you can read the article. If Facebook posted a headline, you’d click a link to the news website to read the article. AFAIK Facebook didn’t simply copy and paste an article to their news page.

As I said, I don’t use it so it difficult to know exactly how it worked and what the changes mean but I get the impression it’s a little bit like asking the Yellow Pages to pay businesses for the right to print their phone numbers.

Happy to be corrected by someone if I’ve completely misunderstood.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    That's not the point.My FB feed was cultivated to provide a one stop point of local, regional, emergency and international information. If info interested me, I followed the links to the source.I happily blocked things I didn't want, and had a feed I was happy with that allowed quick information gathering.Now, it means I have to click through data from 20 individual sites. I don't have time for that shit.
    Same
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    but I get the impression it’s a little bit like asking the Yellow Pages to pay businesses for the right to print their phone numbers.
    yes. a little bit.
    perhaps more like Youtube paying contributors
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    Ditto

Wow, what are the chances of that!

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    It could’ve stayed that way if the government didn’t blow it up. Gerry Harvey couldn’t figure out how to make a buck online so now we pay GST on second hand golf clubs from overseas private sellers. Rupert couldn’t figure out how to make a buck online so now Facebook has messed up your feed. Main thing I don’t get about the legislation is why Facebook should be forced to pay media companies for the content they themselves voluntarily post on Facebook’s platform, but only those large media companies and not all content creators. Other than being a straight corporate handout to Rupert Murdoch, Kerry Stokes and Peter Costello of course.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Blog Entries

Thanks, 3PP.

Perfect example, as I worked for Yellow Pages many years ago and they wouldn't pay for anything that they didn't have to.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Ron, it's a straight subsidy by tech companies to struggling Australian media companies.

I am sure it won't impact their editorial direction in any way, shape or form.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Probably a bit late as FB has now put news back in but I just stumbled across this. It’s the best explanation I’ve seen of it. Bonus points for the choice language.

https://twitter.com/thejuicemedia/st...760414720?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    Probably a bit late as FB has now put news back in but I just stumbled across this. It’s the best explanation I’ve seen of it. Bonus points for the choice language.

https://twitter.com/thejuicemedia/st...760414720?s=21
    That was most enjoyable.

This came up in my recommendations on Youtube, funny stuff:

Ha good one. love those remixes popping up everywhere, I cant get the Circle Back song (michael knowles version) out of my head for weeks, but so many of them

--
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

I'm having trouble stopping myself laughing at this.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1375201775918145537
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

This is my video of the week, theres been a lot of Biden falling up the stairs but this one nails it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFzGpdqXyvU
    --
    Handy-Cap

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I found it amusing that the pointer on Fox/Kayo for the Punta Canha Corales event (the alternate while the WGC is on) had photos of Rory and Jason Day as the attractions. Maybe they think those guys will be playing the alternate field event in future.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Reed is sponsored by Grindworks, a posh Japanese forged iron brand

Using Vokeys this week at the Masters

Thread Information