Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default It's frustrating

I would say that on the course from 145m out I would usuaually pull a 6 iron, but at the golf shop I was only carrying my 6 iron 135m, 4 iron 155m and driver 200m on the sim, what is the go with that?

A fit and healthy, 85kg, 182cm, 39 year old male and I cannot get the ball to jump off the face no matter what I try. At times it feels like I'm puring and really hitting it dead solid but clearly I'm not.

Then the guy helping me thought I was maybe a 10-12 handicap with how I was swining despite the distance being down. I'm off 18. He said I was on plane and hitting pretty straight shots with good dispersion and that he has seen lower handicaps than me with much worse swings than mine... and this is not the first time I have heard something like this.

Not an easy thing to do, but I need to add 15 metres to all my clubs and I don't know where to turn next as I feel I have tried everything.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

as your name suggests: Stop! chill out and take a step back.... IMO You are clearly overthinking your entire game and process

Your swing and how you score are completely different aspects of the game - if they were related then Lee Trevino would be playing off 18 and Steve Elkington would be the No.1 player in the world.

Spend less time on coaching and more time on the range - concentrate more on finding the middle of club and less about distance - the rest will fall into place

TC

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by stopper View Post
    I would say that on the course from 145m out I would usuaually pull a 6 iron, but at the golf shop I was only carrying my 6 iron 135m, 4 iron 155m and driver 200m on the sim, what is the go with that?

A fit and healthy, 85kg, 182cm, 39 year old male and I cannot get the ball to jump off the face no matter what I try. At times it feels like I'm puring and really hitting it dead solid but clearly I'm not.

Then the guy helping me thought I was maybe a 10-12 handicap with how I was swining despite the distance being down. I'm off 18. He said I was on plane and hitting pretty straight shots with good dispersion and that he has seen lower handicaps than me with much worse swings than mine... and this is not the first time I have heard something like this.

Not an easy thing to do, but I need to add 15 metres to all my clubs and I don't know where to turn next as I feel I have tried everything.
    Then come to Cabra on Monday and be really depressed when a short fat Asian kid knocks it past u !!

Seriously who cares how far u hit it as long as u are consistent. No idea how fast u swing it now, but if u want to hit it longer then develop a faster swing. Start working out so I can add speed, flexibility and strength. If that fails buy more stuff.

Also what a u using to measure distance on the golf course??

Okay but all the ball marks on the face show that I'm hitting middle or close to middle on most shots. I'm not really hitting heel or toe too often.

Okay but all the ball marks on the face show that I'm hitting middle or close to middle on most shots. I'm not really hitting heel or toe too often.
    the bats you are using, have they been properly fitted to you? standard lofts?
    Last edited by oldracer; 29th September 2015 at 01:01 PM.

Senior Member Major Winner

You can still hit the middle and have shit shots. Face angle, path, angle of attack, release, shaft too stiff, shaft too spft, too much spin, not enough spin etc etc.

My random suggestion - tempo. Get your tempo right and swing through the ball, don't just hit it.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

There is something wrong with your swing. Get a lesson if it is bothering you.

What are your divots telling you?

TC

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

A fit and healthy, 85kg, 182cm, 39 year old male and I cannot get the ball to jump off the face no matter what I try.
    Not having a go here but I'm over 50 and although slightly taller than you, I'm not all that fit and I've got very dodgy knees but I have been known to use an 8 iron 145m out.

What clubs do you have? What is your swing speed?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluu View Post
    Then come to Cabra on Monday and be really depressed when a short fat Asian kid knocks it past u !!
    And an old bald bloke knock a 4 hybrid inside your 6 iron.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Okay let me try and answer all in the one post. I really want to get better so I'm willing to work at it.

-I'm using a Bushnell Neo+ GPS to measure distance on course.

-Clubs have been fitted for lie and length, not shafts though. I'm probably playing thw wrong shafts but in all honesty I have had heaps of different clubs with heaps of different shafts and still hit it about the same distance. The only clubs that genuinely give me more distance are GI ones where lofts are 3 or 4 degrees stronger than what I play with. I pretty much hit them all the same distance on a loft for loft basis.

-I think that that the reason I'm hitting middle is because I'm flipping to square the club into the ball, but I'm no pro. I haven't been able to figure out a way not to flip.

-I had a bunch of lessons at the end of last year and start of this year with a pro that works out of Sharkies range, I really worked hard at what he wanted me to do. At the end of the day I may have added a few yards but not that much really and we reached a plateu together. Prior to that I had a bunch of lessons at end of 2013 and at the start of 2014 with a pro at Castle Hill, again I really worked hard at what he wanted me to do but after ending most of our lessons with me hitting shanks (and him running out of time) I thought there must be a better way. In the past I have had a number of one off lessons with heaps of pros all of whom helped me go from beginner to hacker but now I'm looking at making the leap to golfer. Most recently I have done some online lessons with a US based pro but its hard to make progress physically not being on the range with them.

-I take shallow divots, starting a little bit behind the ball but not too bad.

-I don't know what my swing speed is these days. I'm using Hogan Apec Edge Pro's with a 30 degree 6 iron and 46 degree PW. As I mentioned earlier I have tried numerous clubs and shaft combos and distance is more or less the same taking into account the differences in loft. My issue is that at best my max 8 iron is 130 (more like 115 thedse days) and I consider myself to be in great physical shape, the best I have ever been.

So I'm at a loss.
    Last edited by stopper; 29th September 2015 at 02:15 PM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Sounds like you swing like a girl unfortunately
    Taylormade M1 16' 430 10.5* Attas G7s
    Taylormade M1 17' 460 10.5* Rogue 125msi 60s
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9* Rogue 125msi 60x
    Titleist 917 D2 9.5* Rogue 125msi 70s
    Cobra King LTD AD MT 7s
    Taylormade M2 15* Speeder Pro 73s
    Taylormade SLDR 19* Matrix HD7s
    Titleist 716 AP2 5-PW KBS Tour V X stiff
    Cleveland 588 Rotex 2.0 Raw Wedges 50* 54* 60* KBS Hi Rev
    Callaway MD3 64* PM Grind
    Taylormade Spider Si 35" Slant Neck

I've got nothing to hide, I want to improve, I hope this link helps so you can see where I'm at.

Last edited by stopper; 29th September 2015 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JADO75 View Post
    Sounds like you swing like a girl unfortunately
    Yep and ugly one.

Link isnt working, I'll try and get some swing videos up another way.
    Last edited by stopper; 29th September 2015 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    And an old bald bloke knock a 4 hybrid inside your 6 iron.
    It thought it was a 5 hybrid cos definitely my 7iron.

Link isnt working, I'll try and get some swing videos up another way.
    Are u marking out how far the ball goes with the neo or u just basing it on the fmb measurements ?

What is your swing speed with a driver?? If its around 90mph u are maxing your numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluu View Post
    Are u marking out how far the ball goes with the neo or u just basing it on the fmb measurements ?

What is your swing speed with a driver?? If its around 90mph u are maxing your numbers.
    I'm marking out with the neo, I set it at 0 and walk to my ball. I have no idea what my swing speed is.

Need more compression

And nonchalance

Quote Originally Posted by Peppas View Post
    Need more compression
    Great, how? Any good drills?

Quote Originally Posted by Peppas View Post

And nonchalance
    and I guess by this you mean that I shouldn't give so much of a shit.

Why do you need to add 15m to your clubs?

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

and I guess by this you mean that I shouldn't give so much of a shit.
    There's something in this. It doesn't matter what the number is on the club you use - what is important is that you know what distances you hit each club and play to those.

I'm similar to you in age & height & not too far off in weight. From 145m I would also be using a 6i, except in summer conditions where with roll-out I'd not need as much club. I've never had my swing speed measured, and I've not been fitted for my clubs, but I use regular flex shafts, and that distance is pretty consistent for me.

What makes you think you should be hitting the ball some distance other than what you are, particularly if you feel you are making good contact?

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    Why do you need to add 15m to your clubs?
    Well I'm playing to an 18 handicap now. I hit maybe 12-13 fairways per round and 3-4 greens per round. I know chipping and putting will get my scroes down but I figure being able to hit a driver 240m and 6 iron 150m will help also. Plus for a relatively young and fit bloke I don't think 150 from a 6 iron is too much to ask.

Thread Information