Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Junior Member Plays socially on a regular basis

Default Connect Golf Testing

Hey folks.

Courty and Lefty have suggested I move the CG testing discussion to this section. It was happening over in the Welcome section where I'd been introduced. A few of the guys have been testing CG for me since it was launched on Thursday night and have identified some bugs and areas for improvement. I can update people in this thread as things are identified or resolved.

Okay so bug-wise we have identified the following:

- Facebook integration not working for some people (it's working for me so any screenshots would be appreciated)
    - A couple of popup typos
    - Handicaps sometimes changing to -1 mid-round in Scorecard - (can be fixed by doing a minor round edit and they will be restored)
    - Stableford leaderboard showing total points instead of total against Par
    - Individual scorecard not showing cumulative total - shows result for individual holes
    - Notification icons not removed unless the push notification itself is opened
    - Chat history sometimes taking a while to load and also sometimes disappearing
    - Need chat notifications working too
    - Some people with short fingers and big phones can't reach the "<" back button so want back gestures - sheesh!
    - "Done" and tab buttons missing from edit controllers

Have I missed anything?

Priority-wise the handicap bug needs squashing, then after that I thought I might focus on the notifications. If someone misses a push, it's hard to work out where the notification is, and also there aren't proper alerts for new group chat messages which is a vital part of the fun. The other bugs are in the area of "can live with them for a bit" while more serious stuff is worked out.

Then it'd be kinda cool to get the social media stuff going so guys can share upcoming rounds or round results on FB/Twitter so the conversation can continue there. If anyone knows any examples of apps that integrate with forums I'd be interested to hear about them too.

Another cool thing that happened today was I met an Android developer who is keen to help build for that platform.

Thanks again folks!

Jezza

P.S. I am keen for any testers to give me direct feedback, so if anyone is using the app (just search "connect golf" on the iOS App Store), please add me to your app contacts ("Golfers") so you can tell me what you like, don't and would like to see. PM me for a phone number.
    Last edited by ConnectGolf; 7th June 2015 at 09:34 PM.

Senior Member Major Winner

Those with short fingers and big phones can double tap the home key. Sorted

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    Those with short fingers and big phones can double tap the home key. Sorted
    Love it! Gestures are something I want to add, but it's one of the lower priority things compared to bug squashing, improving notifications, adding alternative game types and the like.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

The Facebook thing isn't working for me. I open the page in the app.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433713692.303661.jpg

So I press Connect and get this

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433713716.649543.jpg

But nothing happens. My Facebook settings look like this.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433713757.903405.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    The Facebook thing isn't working for me. I open the page in the app.

Attachment 35836

So I press Connect and get this

Attachment 35837

But nothing happens. My Facebook settings look like this.

Attachment 35838
    Thanks for those screenshots mate, we'll look into that and let you know.

Is anyone else having the same issue?

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by ConnectGolf View Post
    Thanks for those screenshots mate, we'll look into that and let you know.

Is anyone else having the same issue?
    Yes. The only difference for me is that ConnectGolf doesn't appear in my list of FB apps.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    Yes. The only difference for me is that ConnectGolf doesn't appear in my list of FB apps.
    Could I please get screenshots of your CG Settings and FB Settings so we can compare them? Thanks, mate.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I have the same issue as Bushy. ConnectGolf definitely appears in my FB settings too and is turned on.
    Chopperlink | Chopperstats | Chopsticks | #ConfederatetillIdie

Quote Originally Posted by BenM View Post
    I have the same issue as Bushy. ConnectGolf definitely appears in my FB settings too and is turned on.
    All-rightey then. We'll go and give Mark Zuckerberg a kick up the codified backside.

Also if this was you, thanks very much. 🏻🏻

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Yep - guilty!
    Chopperlink | Chopperstats | Chopsticks | #ConfederatetillIdie

Default Connect Golf Testing

Quote Originally Posted by BenM View Post
    Yep - guilty!
    If and when the time comes, I'll be looking after you boys. 🏻

You keep putting in improvements like you mention I'm sure it will be a two way street. I know I'm happy to help.

You keep putting in improvements like you mention I'm sure it will be a two way street. I know I'm happy to help.
    I've got a list of improvements as long as my... well much longer than that actually. Firstly though it's about getting the basics right, being managing rounds and scoring them. Then we can start adding the bells and whistles.

Can't wait.

Member Club Pro

Looking forward to the Android version. I've trying to convince some if my apple using friends to give it a go in the meantime

Quote Originally Posted by hippo10 View Post
    Looking forward to the Android version. I've trying to convince some if my apple using friends to give it a go in the meantime
    Fantastic! Tell them they can add you and keep score for you so by the time We get CG Android going, you will have all you history waiting for you.

Coalesce asked a great question of me via PM which I thought I'd share here. It's about adding your phone contacts to your CG Golfers list:

I hate spam and CG was built to avoid it entirely. CG does not send any unsolicited messaging. Ever.

The app allows users to invite their friends via SMS either from their friend's profile or when they add them to a game. The SMS comes from you. Not the CG servers.

So if you've got lots of golfing friends, I hope you're on an unlimited messaging plan!

Oh yes, if any friend installs it after you do and they are in your Golfers list, you will get 30 days added to your subscription. If two people have the same friend, they both get the 30 days. If three people have the same friend... ah you know the rest.

Posting here to subscribe to thread.

Also FYI, have the same issue as Courty, CG doesn't appear in my FB approved apps.

Also now, when I tap the Connect button I get a popup box that says "Contacting Facebook..." but disappears after 0.1 of a second (just long enough to read it if I push it 5 times quickly!)

Apart from that, used it on Saturday and was pretty impressed. Very easy to use once the course is set up.

Couple of quick questions, but I'll shoot them through in our chat.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    Posting here to subscribe to thread.

Also FYI, have the same issue as Courty, CG doesn't appear in my FB approved apps.

Also now, when I tap the Connect button I get a popup box that says "Contacting Facebook..." but disappears after 0.1 of a second (just long enough to read it if I push it 5 times quickly!)

Apart from that, used it on Saturday and was pretty impressed. Very easy to use once the course is set up.

Couple of quick questions, but I'll shoot them through in our chat.
    Lefty asked me offline, but I might post the questions here if anyone is interested.

Lefty Q: Just curious mainly, firstly, does my course input stay in there for everyone playing that course? Ie, joe bloggs joins CG next week and plays Portland, he doesn't need to set up the indexes etc? I assumed it would, just wanted to double check.

CG A: During testing we made the scorecards network based, meaning if you add one, then everyone in your Golfers list has access to it.
    We now want to make that a global thing, but tweaking the code to do so will take a bit of time.
    So it's lower down the priority scale than quite a few things, but anyone in your network will now have the Portland GC scorecard off the blue tees, single index.
    A new scorecard file is created if the parameters change. Say next time you're playing off the white tees.

Lefty Q: Secondly and more important for us, ladies course set up? We have Shazza that goes to a number of OZgolf champs, and doing women's course indexes / pars etc becomes an absolute nightmare.

CG A: So for Shazza, in the Invited Golfers screen for an admin, they can change the tee boxes for individual players, and "in theory" - according to the instructions I've given to my devs - it should use the scorecard for that set of tees. You've given me something to test out properly as I reckon there will be some bugs in that process that will piss both you and Shazza off. It is definitely something that, even if currently buggy, has always been part of the plan.
    It's also extremely high priority. I have the handicap bug, the facebook stuff, the notifications and the scorecard as top priorities.

Just in spectating today's current rounds for Courty and Lefty I had a couple of issues.

The chat screen often came up blank even though I knew there was a conversation in there. Also I'm not getting any notifications when someone has added to the chat even though all my notification options are enabled. Not sure if this is a feature yet but it would be nice.

The other thing is sometimes I kept getting this message when watching Courty's round this morning.

Thanks.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

The other thing is sometimes I kept getting this message when watching Courty's round this morning.
    I had that message a few times last week, but haven't had it at all today. I have seen some odd behaviour with the chat messages & notifications though.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Just in spectating today's current rounds for Courty and Lefty I had a couple of issues.

The chat screen often came up blank even though I knew there was a conversation in there. Also I'm not getting any notifications when someone has added to the chat even though all my notification options are enabled. Not sure if this is a feature yet but it would be nice.

Thanks.
    In last weeks testing we noted the issues with chat. There are a few bugs in it that have been reported for fixing.

- Chat lag - previous chat is sometimes taking 5-10 seconds to be displayed
    - Disappearing chat - if an admin updates the round - previous chat is deleted
    - No chat notifications - app is not alerting users of new chat when app is closed

We are working on the lag and disappearing chat as that can be fixed pretty quickly.

We haven't built a proper notifications system yet, apart from the chat notification icons you can see within a round itself, but it's annoying for users to have to manually check the app to see if any new chat is posted.

The notifications system is vital and I am in the middle of designing it. The plan is it will work in much the same manner as Whatsapp or other messaging apps. You will get an alert for:

- Contacts registering with the app
    - When a registered contact adds you to their Golfers list
    - Invitations to rounds
    - Invitation responses (for admins)
    - Round updates
    - Rounds starting/ending
    - Round chat

The server is in the West US (placed there because the global structure of the app meant we had to have one server & the US is the biggest market), which adds a bit of latency to requests, so if your connection is weak there's a better chance you'll see the "Cannot Connect to Sever" error. I'll report this to my team and see if we can't improve the performance a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    I had that message a few times last week, but haven't had it at all today. I have seen some odd behaviour with the chat messages & notifications though.
    We had some server issues last week, but it is running normally now. I hope to get the chat bugs fixed this week, although even when they are fixed, it takes over a week for Apple to review and update apps in the App Store. I am still waiting for them to approve the handicap rounding bug fixes.

If you want to become a software developer... come and talk to me so I can tell you to wake up to yourself!

Hahaha. Cheers Jezza.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I see that Gamebook is being used for the Vic Champs. What happened to this?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    I see that Gamebook is being used for the Vic Champs. What happened to this?
    Handicapping issues.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Thread Information