Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Not all that harsh if you have been a member there.
    Ever since, 30 years ago, they sold lifetime memberships and made it transferable, they were
    on the decline and desperate.
    Last edited by wazamac; 25th March 2020 at 06:05 PM.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    Oh dear, the member(s) that were flush with money that threw sh!t loads at the place must have run out of $ or have finally realised what a bad investment that was and wont continue to do so.
    Not sure why the club would bother to try and buy other land and build another 2 holes to replace the others. The must have 18 holes obsession is an outdated idea.
    They would be much better off chopping the place up and make 9 really good holes rather than a hand full (this might be generous by me) of good ones and rest ordinary then sell off the rest for housing. Running costs for their long term survival maintaining 9 really good holes would be much less.
    Great idea. There are some very good short courses where you play all or some of the holes twice with very different tees, double greens or two greens and different pars each time. Add a nice big public driving range. Those things are gold mines. People who don't even play golf love bashing golf balls. You see a lot of couples on dates at driving ranges.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by flathook View Post
    Great idea. There are some very good short courses where you play all or some of the holes twice with very different tees, double greens or two greens and different pars each time. Add a nice big public driving range. Those things are gold mines. People who don't even play golf love bashing golf balls. You see a lot of couples on dates at driving ranges.
    The Public driving range idea for there would be a fantastic idea and an alternative revenue stream to playing a round. Go modern with some higher priced hitting bays that have some form of ball tracking to give reports at the end of a session.
    I'm not sure an established 18 hole course club in S.A would be progressive enough to go down this track. Too many short sighted people stuck in the 60s-70s-80s.
    People are time poor these days and one of the biggest turn offs to playing golf for the modern generation and people with young families is 18 hole club golf takes so bloody long and 1/2 if you lucky to 3/4 of a day is gone/wasted.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Agree with a modern, tech advanced driving range but can't just be a normal/ average range.
    Already have one at O'hallorin Hill and the one at Port Noarlunga just never went anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by wazamac View Post
    Agree with a modern, tech advanced driving range but can't just be a normal/ average range.
    Already have one at O'hallorin Hill and the one at Port Noarlunga just never went anywhere.
    The Range at O'H Hill closed its doors before Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by nadg63 View Post
    The Range at O'H Hill closed its doors before Christmas.
    Chris West works at TTG now

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    A good bloke is Chris, great Pommie sense of humour! Had quite a few lessons with him over the years - he once called me the laziest golfer he'd seen due to my lack of effort lol

Played with Westy in a ProAm at Victor Harbor.
    Nice guy, not very impressive from a playing perspective though as was the case for many of them I played with in 80% of the ProAms scheduled that year. Digressing from the thread title but those days are now long gone where S.A had 8-10 ProAms every year.

W.I.T.B

Haven't been that way since we have had a dual expressway.
    Chris is an ok fella, just never spoke a word to him after he started double booking my lessons.
    Not sure what he has done to other Pros but every pro that asked me if I have had lessons before, and I said Chris. They all said just forget everything he taught.
    Last edited by wazamac; 26th March 2020 at 04:08 PM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I had a "groupon" lesson with Chris a few years back. Like everyone's saying, nice enough guy but what he kept saying in the lesson made no sense in my mind (I told him at the time), and it stuffed my swing up for months. I remember telling him my main miss was a push to the right and he told me to get flatter lies on my irons.

Quote Originally Posted by wazamac View Post
    Haven't been that way since we have had a dual expressway.
    Chris is an ok fella, just never spoke a word to him after he started double booking my lessons.
    Not sure what he has done to other Pros but every pro that asked me if I have had lessons before, and I said Chris. They all said just forget everything he taught.
    That does sound familiar! When I had a lesson with Steve at The Vines, he got me to hit a few to gauge my swing and straight away said "You've been taught by Westy haven't you!?" - gave me the same advice, forget all that as too complicated!

I will stick with my fellow lefty Shane, thanks for the heads up guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

We're getting off-topic, but who else is there in and around Adelaide as far as good teaching pros go?

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    We're getting off-topic, but who else is there in and around Adelaide as far as good teaching pros go?
    I'm a bit out of touch with who's who and current now in S.A.
    I've only ever herd good things about Gareth Jones who was at Glenelg. Not sure if he's still working from there or not?
    You might hear Troy Lanes mentioned a bit. I don't rate him myself and know of some good players at the time that he messed up big time. I always though he was full of himself with what dealings I had with him when he was working in golf shops.

W.I.T.B

Daniel Blackwell has a good wrap at Kooyonga. Personally didn’t work for me but has for others.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Victor Harbors McCrappen Country Club is up for sale. For a lazy 7.5Mil. Could sell it off to devs and put in some more retirement villages.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/busin...40565632681a3a

https://www.realcommercial.com.au/fo...5211-503585906

Quote Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
    Victor Harbors McCrappen Country Club is up for sale. For a lazy 7.5Mil. Could sell it off to devs and put in some more retirement villages.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/busin...40565632681a3a

https://www.realcommercial.com.au/fo...5211-503585906
    Be interesting to see how long this stays on the market before selling.

The ton of duck crap on and around the greens is the biggest turn off to playing there. With Mount Compass 30min closer to home I've never seen the need to play it any more.

W.I.T.B

Worst course to walk that I can recall.
    Up and down twice a nine.

9 would be on my least liked list.

The wind always whipped through from the beach through the third hole corridor.

It is nearly 30 years old, but many of the tees are still original, and uneven.

Quote Originally Posted by Benje View Post
    Worst course to walk that I can recall.
    Up and down twice a nine.

9 would be on my least liked list.

The wind always whipped through from the beach through the third hole corridor.

It is nearly 30 years old, but many of the tees are still original, and uneven.
    #9 has a reasonable tee shot, but the uphill second is a drag. Not a fan of the hidden pond though

The Par 5 #8 has a fun second shot off the hill to an interesting green, bunkers are typical Cashmore 4 leaf clover with lips from the tv show MAFS

The back nine has some interesting holes, the run from 15-17 is ok, 18 is a slog up the hill.

Won't be sad to see it turned into housing. Have not played it for about 8 years and I am in town there at least 5 times a year
    Last edited by thecollective; 2nd July 2020 at 08:29 AM.

#9 has a reasonable tee shot, but the uphill second is a drag. Not a fan of the hidden pond though

The Par 5 #8 has a fun second shot off the hill to an interesting green, bunkers are typical Cashmore 4 leaf clover with lips from the tv show MAFS

The back nine has some interesting holes, the run from 15-17 is ok, 18 is a slog up the hill.

Won't be sad to see it turned into housing. Have not played it for about 8 years and I am in town there at least 5 times a year
    Agree, #18 sucks big time! Having already lost total interest in the course on the previous 17 holes you then have to finish on what has to be the worst final hole I know! Slogging up that bastard hill, wind always in your face, to finally reach a less than ordinary green. They're welcome to it.

Wow, so much dislike for the course.
    I don't mind it as a whole but just can't drive past Mount Compass for a Golf game making the trek all the way from the Northern side of Adelaide. I can get to Waikerie quicker from home than I can get to McDuckcrappin and Victor.

W.I.T.B

Only played it once. Didn't like #9. 18 was just a long slog up a steady gradient. Overall OK.
    Many courses have some bad holes. Everyone's perception is going to be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    Wow, so much dislike for the course.
    I don't mind it as a whole but just can't drive past Mount Compass for a Golf game making the trek all the way from the Northern side of Adelaide. I can get to Waikerie quicker from home than I can get to McDuckcrappin and Victor.
    As you say, why would you drive past Mt C GC to go to McCrappin - and if I did it would only be to go to VHGC! (which is a relatively short trip for me living south)

VHGC is fabulous to play crack of dawn. And you have Lady Boy not that far away as well.

McCracken was ok, I rate it better than South Lakes

I think it’s safe to throw Renmark Golf Course in here now. Once a jewel of the Riverland courses condition wise it looks like it’s not far from being non existent.
    Haven’t been to look myself but hearing all sorts of bad whispers I had the opportunity to talk to som Riverland locals on the weekend.
    Course is now a 9 hole composite from those holes that didn’t have all the grass die. Those 9 are in terrible condition too apparently.
    The Berri Hotel took over running it for a period of time then got out selling it to others. That’s when things went down hill rapidly. Locally the guy that took over looking after the course is known as the Google Greenkeeper. No qualifications and every thing he does he gets from Google.
    It too far gone for anyone to buy it and fix it up. It’s only a matter of time before it’s gone for good as no one locally wants to play it.

W.I.T.B

Thread Information