Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Senior Member Major Winner

Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

OK, so with kids in tow I found myself look for somewhere for an impromptu hit in the Adelaide Hills last Sunday. Played Echunga recently and despite it's inherent issues (and Hatchy's comments above), it's still holding up, is not a bog fest yet and it was reasonably enjoyable.

Last Sunday however all the carts were booked there so I had to look elsewhere. Didn't want to face Mt Barker again so I thought I'd give Stirling a go. So with hopes held low I gave them a call. Plenty of carts available!

Hadn't played there is probably 8 years so I did not know what to expect.

The weather that day was fantastic. 20deg, sunny with not a breath of breeze. The drive to the course from the expressway, down meandering tree lined lanes into the valley was pleasant, as was the reception in the pro-shop on arrival. Given I had the kids with me, I was given a discount on the cart which I thought was nice.

On first view, the course looked great and apart from a group of four booked behind me, there did not appear to be anyone else on the course.

And off I went.

Sure, the course is a goat track and there are some holes that can cause frustration (particularly the 8th, coz I struggle to hit draws), but I had fun.

I also noticed that they've changed the order of the back nine holes which seems to make the play flow better.

Actually, it's so hilly here that I noticed some groups using their 4WDs as carts! Obviously, they were sticking to the cart paths but I've never seen that before.

That said, I had more trouble hitting above and below my feet playing Flagstaff Hill so they've done a fairly good job here of keeping the fairways reasonably level despite most being on sides of hills.

There were no bogs or bare patches anywhere on the fairways/near the greens and the greens themselves, although a little fluffy were reasonably true and receptive.

So, if the weather is fine and you want a quiet, unrushed round and you are not fussed using a cart and/or have a 4WD, I'd recommend giving it a go.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

We were only discussing Stirling after our round at Kapunda.

Personally have never played there before, so would be good to experience one time.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

The 1 x Par 5 @ Stirling is quite an interesting tee shot

Castle Gif.jpg

It's been a while since I've played Stirling.

Can only remember a couple holes
    #1 uphill
    #4 downhill, approach over creek
    and that god damn hole where the fairway slopes severely left to right

I'd be open to a round there, considering they've got specials on at the moment.
    http://www.greatrounds.com/stirling-...es-cart-drinks

Had discussions with the Club Captain after the round yesterday and Flagstaff Hill is back on the agenda.

Scuttlebutt is that they are in serious financial trouble losing members because of too much spending within the clubhouse putting in lifts etc... and not on the course.
    Talk of going to a nine hole selling the other nine to a retirement village.

Apparently at our current membership levels, we can only take 20-24 more 7 day members. Too many more and you can't handle the load on a Saturday with tee times.

Quote Originally Posted by wazamac View Post
    Had discussions with the Club Captain after the round yesterday and Flagstaff Hill is back on the agenda.

Scuttlebutt is that they are in serious financial trouble losing members because of too much spending within the clubhouse putting in lifts etc... and not on the course.
    Talk of going to a nine hole selling the other nine to a retirement village.

Apparently at our current membership levels, we can only take 20-24 more 7 day members. Too many more and you can't handle the load on a Saturday with tee times.
    Had heard that we had picked up a few new members from Flaggy.

Latest on Flagstaff Hill.

Driving Range could be going for a retirement village. Says in the article that they are going to clear the debt and spend the rest on the clubhouse.
    Stop spending money on the clubhouse and put it into the course that brings the members you dickheads.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messen...d732aa1ffc24cb

Nadj and myself played Thaxted this morning.
    Still one and a half more holes to open up and finish on the new front nine but quite enjoyable.
    Most of the greens are the same but have slowed them only slightly. They have taken at least 40-50% of the trees out and trimmed them all above head height.
    Grass is now starting to grow under the trees since the sun can get under.
    Bunkers have improved out of sight and are white and a fine sand. Some are still a little silly with absoloutly no lip top speak of.
    The fairways have improved dramatically from what they were but still some foreign grass hanging about.
    Give it another 12-18 months for the new to bed in and it will be reasonable as it is very open now compared to a couple of years ago.

IMG_1287.jpgIMG_1283.jpgIMG_1284.jpgIMG_1285.jpg

The second photo in the attached is actually Lady bay and can't get rid of it. My apologies
    Attached Images
    Last edited by wazamac; 17th September 2017 at 12:47 PM.

Mt ooooooooosmond!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Yeah ummmmm errrrrrr, not a lot of support in terms of liking Ozzy from interstaters Benno and Nudgee today lol

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
    Yeah ummmmm errrrrrr, not a lot of support in terms of liking Ozzy from interstaters Benno and Nudgee today lol
    Choppers

Quote Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
    take them to Stirling next year - they will think MO is an unsung gem after a round there!

the collective

10 round split between Mt Osmond and Mt Lofty (Stirling)?
    Does the total add up to 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Benje View Post
    the collective

10 round split between Mt Osmond and Mt Lofty (Stirling)?
    Does the total add up to 10?
    Well that is a good question, would you play 10 rounds btw them! but if I did I would go 8/2 to MO

MO has some good moments, to me its not all a horrible course, the members love it and it has some interesting terrain that requires good execution. The par 3's all seem to be a reasonable standard, most of the par 4's hold up reasonably, the Par 5's are bad yes I admit that.

I played worse than anyone on Saturday and came off the course thinking it wasnt so bad but I would choose Flagstaff Hill and TTG over it if I had the choice (within the tier 2 category).

Sandy Creek is almost to the point where it should appear in this thread.
    Yes the greens are superb but that's all.
    Driving range beat up, chipping/putting green less than appealing, tee boxes beat up, fairways dying.

What happened, this course used to be in pristine condition. It looked like they have adequate water supply since both dams were full.

Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    Sandy Creek is almost to the point where it should appear in this thread.
    Yes the greens are superb but that's all.
    Driving range beat up, chipping/putting green less than appealing, tee boxes beat up, fairways dying.

What happened, this course used to be in pristine condition. It looked like they have adequate water supply since both dams were full.
    Cocky Membership full of old jocks, Cocky Owners, think that their course is top sh*t regardless of anything and everything that is happening around them

Think that by moving the tee numbers around (starting on #17) this will somewhat change the perception of its quirky layout

The course needs an entire overhaul but how can you make/propose changes when the members think its the best country track in the state!

one last point, they have lots and lots of land that is wasted, such a missed opportunity as it is a fantastic sight and perfect for golf

Asked an ex-member of SCGC why the course was in the current state it is.

He said they've been having troubles with their pumps on extreme high weather days, and we've had a few periods of those this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    Asked an ex-member of SCGC why the course was in the current state it is.

He said they've been having troubles with their pumps on extreme high weather days, and we've had a few periods of those this summer.
    The problem with dry kikuyu is all the roots become exposed making the fairways really hard and heavy to hit from; they probably need to move in the Tanunda direction and put in couch fairways (Santa Ana @ Tanunda), although I guess Tanunda are lucky to have all the Yalumba winery water run-off to maintain a consistent playing surface.

No point keeping the course good as Bill is not there anymore. 😜

Played Tanunda a couple of times this year and seems to be going a bit downhill, not sure what’s going on there.

Seems as though golf is really diminishing at the tier 2 and especially country level. Sad to see otherwise good country courses going downhill.

It has been a difficult summer - very little rain and a number of hot days.

Chilled: greens are a bit of an issue particularly holes 1 and 2; bunkers need new irrigation hence the inconsistency. Fairways still play well though so it’s not all that bad.

But considering what I have seen elsewhere and the weather I think course pulls up pretty well

Might want to give Mt Barker a miss for a while.

CLUB FRUSTRATED BY CORELLA DAMAGE TO GREENS AND FAIRWAYS Little corellas are tearing up fairways and
    destroying greens at the Mt Barker-Hahndorf Golf Course, leaving the club with no option but to call in a bird scaring contractor.

Thread Information