Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Can't say that I exaggerated when I played preferred lies 4 weeks ago.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Member Club Pro

That may have been misinterpreted, wasn't suggesting that you were exaggerating wazamac. I was just paraphrasing a famous quote.

Had a chat with one of the guys at work, and he was saying that in his local rag, Mt. Barker GC is looking a bit iffy (money wise) at the moment.
    Last edited by wazamac; 18th April 2016 at 10:07 AM.

Senior Member Major Winner

Over the many years I've herd stories that Mt Barker has been struggling.
    Handorf was in the same boat way back so the 2 merged.
    The land the course is on would be much sort after for housing so not surprised they are feeling the squeeze if the books aren't flush from golf alone.

It's not a great course with the multitude of mini doglegs on the back 9 that get very boring real quick.
    The course only caters to locals for convenience as if you take your golf a bit more seriously you'd travel to play on better.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Back to Flagstaff Hill GC.
    Drove past the dam yesterday on my way to the Vines and noticed it was lower than I have ever seen.
    Played with our President yesterday and he said they were having trouble cause the GM has walked out along with a few members of the committee.
    Will see how true this is I guess.

Couple of courses in Financial trouble - Willunga and Flagstaff (both are a bit ongoing I'm sure)

Picture of the new front nine for Fuxstead.

12309913_1074509649250143_4016782523826958701_o.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by wazamac View Post
    Couple of courses in Financial trouble - Willunga and Flagstaff (both are a bit ongoing I'm sure)

Attachment 42711
    Surprised about Willunga; always busy when I play it.

No surprises regarding Flaggy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Council want the land for housing at Willunga from what I herd.
    They are keen to chop the course up for a nine holer.
    I was surprised to hear this as it is quite well subscribed with members and green fees traffic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    I was surprised to hear this as it is quite well subscribed with members and green fees traffic.

This story has been appearing in our local Messenger for a while now, the council pay an amount to prop up the course, BUT have decided they no longer want to do this supposedly for financial reasons BUT they are indeed also looking at selling off the land for housing if the club cannot self support - council greed is my guess.

Looked to be in good condition when I drove passed it Monday.
    So did Echunga but I know that's a turd rolled in glitter.

W.I.T.B

Played the Echunga Classic about 10 years ago. Vowed I would never go back

Member Club Pro

Quote Originally Posted by wazamac View Post

Lot's of 'moving of greens' in that plan for Fuxstead. Not sure that there's much benefit in some of those changes.

As an ex member, it certainly needs something done about the place. Especially the old second and 3rd holes.
    I remember in Summer you would drive the ball up the hill to the corner and when you walked up to it you find it had trickled back down the hill 30 - 40m.

Someone at the club is funding the changes ( up to $3 mill) and what they are getting out of it, who knows.
    You can polish a turd as much as you like, but it will always be a turd and if the grounds keepers keep doing the same thing it will all be dead within 2 years.

We have a thread for the heaps good ones. Here's one for the not so good ones.List the ones here that you've played that you thought were a waste of your time and money playing and would be happy to not play again.I'll open the account by throwing up Mount Osmond and Stirling (formally know as Mount Lofty)I'll start off.Mount Osmond:Well established golf course built in the Adelaide Hills.As per the Mount name you spend half your day climbing up and down step mountain slopes.Ball above feet, ball below feet, up and down hill lies are the order of the day. Having balls run a long way off fairway into the kak areMount Lofty:A bit further up the freeway from Mount Osmond deeper into hills where there is more rainfall.As per the name it is also built on a mountain. Also a very well established course that is really struggling to survive in today's golfing climate with more and much better options for the same cost.Ball above feet, ball below feet, up and down hill lies are the order of the day. Having balls run a long way off fairway into the kak are common in the summer months. This is a bigger problem here than Mount Osmond as there a a lot more side hill holes as opposed to going straight up and down the hills. Six par 3's and a lot of quirky par 4's. An abundance of blind pins on greens also becomes a bore as the day goes on.Gets extremely wet in the winter with fairways turning to mud. Greens get saturated and unplayable with casual water at time. Course gets closed for days/weeks during very wet winters.Losing balls plugged in winter can be an issue also. In summer there are problems with balls landing on fairways running way off into the kak on the side hill lies. The gradient of the 1st hole results in ropes being stung across the fairway in summer to stop balls running backward down the fairway 20-100m.While hillier than Mount Osmond and sloppy and wet under foot playing it very recently I found the walk not as hard as Mount Osmond due to no thick spongy kikuyu. So happy it was Pennant and never wasted my $ having to pay for the round.
    I played Stirling earlier today and it's a layout that I don't mind (despite having too many par 3s in my opinion) but it could definitely do with a bit of investment into drainage and repairs. Cart paths were quite haggard and the tee boxes, fairways and greens could all do with some rejuvenation. Despite the warm weather there were quite a few muddy bogs around.

played Flaggy today - greens were very true and only had one bad green that needed a good flattening with the roller (#9).

The back nine is considerably weaker than the front - lots of push up flat greens and 45 deg fairways that run off into tree lines. A 189 Par 3 that goes uphill to a flat green - hardly inspires enjoyable golf

Front nine was quite enjoyable - I particularly enjoyed the stroll through the housing lined valley (#2 onwards) some nice land and interesting shots.

Bunkers also seem quite good the signature #7 Par 3 is exciting to play and reminds me a lot of Medinah in the states. The Dam was quite full

If they had the $ I would completely redesign the back nine starting with a nice chainsaw - it is certainly a course of two nines.

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    played Flaggy today - greens were very true and only had one bad green that needed a good flattening with the roller (#9).

The back nine is considerably weaker than the front - lots of push up flat greens and 45 deg fairways that run off into tree lines. A 189 Par 3 that goes uphill to a flat green - hardly inspires enjoyable golf

Front nine was quite enjoyable - I particularly enjoyed the stroll through the housing lined valley (#2 onwards) some nice land and interesting shots.

Bunkers also seem quite good the signature #7 Par 3 is exciting to play and reminds me a lot of Medinah in the states. The Dam was quite full

If they had the $ I would completely redesign the back nine starting with a nice chainsaw - it is certainly a course of two nines.
    How long did the round take as that place is normally slow as hell?

Quote Originally Posted by nadg63 View Post
    How long did the round take as that place is normally slow as hell?
    We played twilight so 3.5 hours - which was slow considering we were a two ball playing no score hit & giggle (normally can get round in about 3 to 3.25 max)

We got caught behind a slow 3-ball only to find out a social 4-ball cart-club sharing-bogan fest was holding them up

Highlight of the day was a chip in birdie kindly assisted from a wing of a duck who stubbornly refused to get out the way (took a little pace off the ball for me). He was fine in the end so no dramas there.

I sense it is a slow club - the course is not driver friendly and you can end up spending a lot of time looking for golf balls. Some of the sloping fairways do not help that either.

Member Club Pro

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    Really? I've played there multiple times and have always thought that the front nine is the least interesting. Can't think of many pushup greens at all except for 18? What are the others that you define as pushup?
    While 14 (189m Par 3) certainly isn't an inspiring hole I don't think you could say that the green is flat, it has a pretty severe slope from back to front.

Quote Originally Posted by hippo10 View Post
    Really? I've played there multiple times and have always thought that the front nine is the least interesting. Can't think of many pushup greens at all except for 18? What are the others that you define as pushup?
    While 14 (189m Par 3) certainly isn't an inspiring hole I don't think you could say that the green is flat, it has a pretty severe slope from back to front.
    top of mind: green #10 / 12 (better than others mind you) / 15 / 18 (as you noted)

Perhaps not the TWP style push up we are used to discussing - (so I will use the term 'raised' from now on), but a flat surface raised above the natural terrain - some subtle breaks in the greens no doubt but still a raised brow above ground

Member Club Pro

Can't agree on 15 and I think if you're classifying 10 and 12 as raised then so are 1,2?, 3, 8. That combined with the severely sloping fairways on the front 9 make it the weaker of the 9's imo.

It's been a very long time since I've played Flaggy but I don't remember or thinking the fairways were severely sloping.
    That was in the days where I played a bit at Highercombe with the odd round at Mt Lofty and Mt Osmond so in comparison Flaggy wasn't noticeable.
    The new holes around the dam were about 12 months away from being in play the last time I was there.

W.I.T.B

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Played the back nine at Echunga last night (well, 8 - the 17th is being completely rebuilt). First time in a couple of years and I must say, I've never seen it in such good condition. And I've been playing here for 20 years.

As far as the fairways are concerned, the old saying that you can't polish a t*rd definitely does not apply, they are really quite good; like a thick, green carpet. Even, firm under foot but just enough give to allow you to hit down on the ball with confidence. Only slightly patchy area was at the bend on the 13th. The rest was like a big green wall to wall carpet.

Shame some of the greens are still domes though they're slow enough to hold the ball in most cases.

I will see if I can play the front nine soon to check if the improvements are across the board.

Regardless, some serious coin seems to have been spent here recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Hard_Pan View Post
    Played the back nine at Echunga last night (well, 8 - the 17th is being completely rebuilt). First time in a couple of years and I must say, I've never seen it in such good condition. And I've been playing here for 20 years.

As far as the fairways are concerned, the old saying that you can't polish a t*rd definitely does not apply, they are really quite good; like a thick, green carpet. Even, firm under foot but just enough give to allow you to hit down on the ball with confidence. Only slightly patchy area was at the bend on the 13th. The rest was like a big green wall to wall carpet.

Shame some of the greens are still domes though they're slow enough to hold the ball in most cases.

I will see if I can play the front nine soon to check if the improvements are across the board.

Only ever played there once way back, and my memory of it is that it wasn't a bad place - but to be avoided like the plague when wet!

Quote Originally Posted by Hard_Pan View Post

Only played it once, the back nine was stronger IMO; more open with more approach options to the green, fairways were couch from memory but happy to be stood corrected on that.

Very boggy in winter and practically unplayable - however I would expect the conditions would be perfect for the course this time of year

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I'd really like to see if what they've done will make any difference over winter. If they've done something to avoid the bog, they deserve a medal! Again, I've never seen the fairways this good here - ever.

Thread Information