Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Played Tanunda - it too had a good drop shot 3 (about the 4th from memory?)

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

wb: that would be the 11th pal

#16 is also a downhill short par #3 and the best hole on the course IMO

TC

Senior Member Major Winner

Fuxsted Park this Sunday for what will most likely be last Pennant game for the year (no finals for us after going down 3-4 last week).
    I expect to be in here slamming the course Sunday night.
    Last edited by Hatchman; 1st July 2015 at 12:36 PM. Reason: last Pennant game not last game
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by HatchmanSS76 View Post
    Fuxsted Park this Sunday for what will most likely be last game for the year (no finals for us after going down 3-4 last week).
    I expect to be in here slamming the course Sunday night.
    I will be eagerly anticipating and most probably agreeing with your thoughts
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

If what we've seen at other course so far I can't wait for the ridiculous pins we will have for this game.

W.I.T.B

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Fuxsted Park this Sunday ..... I expect to be in here slamming the course Sunday night.
    Please do. I met a fellow claiming to be one of their greens keepers last weekend. He admitted their fairways were a 'work in progress' but claimed their greens were the 'best in the state'.

Quote Originally Posted by Hard_Pan View Post
    Please do. I met a fellow claiming to be one of their greens keepers last weekend. He admitted their fairways were a 'work in progress' but claimed their greens were the 'best in the state'.
    I've played on some fantastic greens all over Adelaide in the last 9 months. Royal Adelaide, Kooyonga, Grange East, Glenelg and Barossa were very smooth and true. I'll be staggered if Fuxted could possibly compare with these and suspect he's been smoking his own grass clippings ��
    Last edited by Hatchman; 2nd July 2015 at 11:35 AM.

W.I.T.B

Played Pennant at Thaxted today. Yep, the road leading out of the car park is still the best part of the place.

My statement above about their Green Keeper smoking his own grass clippings is right on the money. There is no way in the world they are the best greens in the state. Don't get me wrong, they are closer to very good than they they are crap. They still have the issue of unless you are a local they are extremely difficult to read. Pace was inconsistent with slick, sneaky quick and quick pace. They held quite well and took the spin/check with pitches.
    Apart from being difficult to read they are ok and better than a couple of other courses played in Pennant this year.

As for the rest of the course it's simply crap. Mixture of good and very poor fairways and crappy surrounds with grass tufts and bare patches once your more than 5m off the green. Plenty of bare lies with lots of stones to scratch and gouge clubs on the holes that climb and go across the slopes on the early holes on the front 9. Fairways range from tight couch to back/grey dirt with signs of couch trying to grow in it but losing the battle against the mud. We had preferred lie on the fairway in play. Needed to use it near the green more so than off the drives (yes I hit a few fairways ). Layout fails to excite and there aren't many if any great holes.
    Last edited by Hatchman; 6th July 2015 at 04:13 PM.

W.I.T.B

Played Pennant at Thaxted today.... no way in the world they are the best greens in the state.... they are closer to very good than they they are crap......
    Might catch up with the bloke again in the next few weeks (he's associated with one of my wife's friends). I'll tell him to keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Hard_Pan View Post
    Might catch up with the bloke again in the next few weeks (he's associated with one of my wife's friends). I'll tell him to keep up the good work.
    Generally speaking he's doing not too bad a job but you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

W.I.T.B

Went to Echunga on Thursday - was warned by one of the guys as i arrived that it was horrible out there. Thought id give it a shot anyway.. They had closed the back 9 due to water so i played the front 9 twice (should have left after the first 9). It was like playing in mud, very un enjoyable, probably the worst course i have played. Lett with clubs, bag, shoes, pants covered in mud. Would not be going back in a hurry.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Yeah really not the time of year to play there

Thought that may have been a little obvious too..

And I'm 2000km away
    bio cell+ big stick - fly z+ 3W - b'bertha 4h - srickson 545/745
    46-50 RTX, 56-60 md2 - tank cruiser 38" count balance
    delilah smiley driver and MAGNETIC putter cover
    sun mountain bag C130S - clicgear & knob

I have played a few different hills courses over the past weeks, all in the similar areas including Highercombe and they were certainly playable. Echunga in comparison was busier but borderline unplayable.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

We had preferred lie on the fairway in play. Needed to use it near the green more so than off the drives (yes I hit a few fairways ).
    Imposter! I demand you tell us what you have done with the real Hatchy and return him to us unscathed!

Just going to throw Flagstaff Hill GC in the mix.
    Played with a couple of guys yesterday and they were from Flagstaff Hill. They said the club is going downhill fast and six of their little group joined up with the Vines this week.
    Also played there a couple of weeks ago with a few of the members, and they also said that there are members leaving in droves. Fairways were very average and playing preferred lies.
    Greens were ok but the surrounds and bunkers were average at best.
    Apparently they had their Vardon yesterday and wonder if they played preferred lies in that.
    There has been rumours for a fair while now that Thaxted and Flagstaff may join forces and sell off the land in Flagstaff Hill. Wonder if this is getting close to the truth?

I played Flaggy 3 weeks ago and was surprised to see the poor state of some of the fairways. From what I remember there were bigish bare patches on some of the fairways. I distinctly remember noting to a mate of mine that day that I was surprised at the poor state of the fairways. Greens were fine....I think bunkers were ok.

Played Mt Osmond a couple of weeks ago and that's looking a treat.

I shot 18 points at Flaggy about a couple of months ago. Nearly all the fairways were rock hard and just about all my drives bounced off (fairway or otherwise), downhill somewhere stupid. Won't be going back there again in a while. Highest score that day was 32 points.

Sent my uncle a msg who's a 20yr+ member at Flagstaff saying Id herd rumors course is in poor condition and the join between them and Fuxted.
    Here's his reply "Fairways the best the have been in a long time green very good I have herd same bull not true"

Bit of home course/club loyalty bias from him maybe?

W.I.T.B

The rumours are true, I've been there and played it, they are not up to scratch like they have been in the past. I like flaggy, always have, people have no reason to lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
    The rumours are true, I've been there and played it, they are not up to scratch like they have been in the past. I like flaggy, always have, people have no reason to lie about it.
    Hey, I have more faith in 3 of my fellow OzGolfers assessment that have played a multitude of different golf courses in the last 6 months including Flagstaff in that time than a club member.

I couldn't give too hoots if he's family or not hence my home club loyalty bias ????? Being family just gives me access to ask the question?

W.I.T.B

All I can say is why are they playing preferred lies if all of the fairways are the best they have ever been.

Member Club Pro

Talked to a flaggy member yesterday and he said that the fairways weren't good a couple of months ago but since then they've had a bit more rain and done some work and they've bounced back into good condition. Having a hit there tomorrow so I'll report back and let you know.

Member Club Pro

Played Flaggy this morning and have to say that rumors of its demise have been greatly exaggerated. No preferred lies and it was in very good condition. Greens were great and the fairways were good, a bit lusher and slower than ice typically seen there. There were a few small bare patches but nothing to be concerned about and the majority of them had been marked GUR.

Member Club Pro

A couple of photos:

Thread Information