Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Default Aimpoint Express

Have booked in to do Aimpoint Express green reading course in a couple of weeks.

After playing foursomes today with a 1 handicapper reading the putts for me what a nice feeling it would be to actually know where the putts are going.

Hopefully Aimpoint will give me some idea of where the putt is going.

Has anyone done a Aimpoint express session ?

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Maybe get caddy express .

Will be interested to see ur findings.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluu View Post
    Maybe get caddy express .

Will be interested to see ur findings.
    Hopefully can't make me any worse!

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by highballin View Post
    Have booked in to do Aimpoint Express green reading course in a couple of weeks.

After playing foursomes today with a 1 handicapper reading the putts for me what a nice feeling it would be to actually know where the putts are going.

Hopefully Aimpoint will give me some idea of where the putt is going.

Has anyone done a Aimpoint express session ?
    Braddles is an Aimpoint express guru..

Hopefully can't make me any worse!
    I'm thinking of doing this with the guy from Newcastle. Maybe a fathers day gift .

I had my mate caddy for me in the 2nd of champs and i only had 24 putts. I'm a shocking green reader especially on new courses.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Haven't been through an APE session with a qualified teacher, my sessions were with a tour pro who uses it. To really understand it and use the correct reading technique, the plastic device in which the ball is placed, is a necessary requirement. It is the best green reading system I have been exposed to.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I've done aim point express. It's still not an exact science and will depend on your ability to "feel" the severity of the slope gradient, being able to gauge what stimp the greens are running at, how far your fingers are from your eyes will be different depending on each individual so to calibrate that consistently with the stimp of the green is an art in itself. And then you need to be able to putt exactly to one feet past the hole for the read and line to match. It's not bad on long, big breaking putts but I rarely use it for anything lesser than a 3 gradient.
    Last edited by wizard_of_oz; 23rd May 2015 at 08:03 PM.

Only done the old book style. Still use it. It is nice to have a target I actually trust

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

What do you blame when you miss?

Aimpoint is very similar to religion. God is great when it works, but it isn't God's doing when things go wrong.

Aimpoint is a golf cult. Just like stack and tilt before it.
    Forum needs more banter.

Have also been thinking about getting in to this. Will be interesting to hear what you think after it.

Quote Originally Posted by sms316 View Post

Aimpoint is very similar to religion. God is great when it works, but it isn't God's doing when things go wrong.

Not cult but method systems. Right sided swing is another method system. With all these method systems, a player has to commit to the whole system to get results. Using parts of a system method doesn't work.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Quote Originally Posted by razaar View Post
    Not cult but method systems. Right sided swing is another method system. With all these method systems, a player has to commit to the whole system to get results. Using parts of a system method doesn't work.
    Just swing the bloody club. Golf is a very simple game made out to be complicated by salesmen.
    Forum needs more banter.

Just swing the bloody club. Golf is a very simple game made out to be complicated by salesmen.
    That usually applies to those lucky (like yourself) who learned a swing as a teenager or earlier. Those who come to the game later after other sports, seem to benefit from method systems as do players who start over again. Some adults tend to get very analytical and the methods cater to those analytical needs. But I agree with the reference to salesmen.

Your going to burn for that. Will be right along side you.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by HatchmanSS76 View Post
    Your going to burn for that. Will be right along side you.
    Thank you my diving soul brother.
    Forum needs more banter.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_of_oz View Post
    And then you need to be able to putt exactly to one feet past the hole for the read and line to match.
    That is the big secret to putting, right there.

Most of us are not bad readers of greens as such, but we can't hit the ball at the correct pace, and often we can't hit the ball where we want to hit it anyway.

I'm not a believer in Aimpoint, or plumb bobbing, or any other process based method of green reading. In my view any of those methods are a psychological crutch to rest against. I do see one positive though. One of the primary causes of slow play is people struggling to make a decision, so as long as those who take forever to make a decision do so quickly using the Aimpoint method, that is a good thing.

But, if HB goes through with it, I'll read the results with great interest, and I look forward to seeing the result for myself in November.

On the evidence of Mr A Scott though, it doesn't work with the long broomstick.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Jim when you putt as bad as I do there's nothing to lose in trying something new. I figure if it doesn't work I'll just go back to my 36-40 putt routine that works so well.

Just think of it as value for money HB. Works for me!
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Had my first round using Aimpoint Express today. Had 35 putts but that doesn't really reflect how well I putted.

First of I am really glad I did the course. Might not be for everyone but for me this has given me a process that works and I will only get better at.

For instance I had a 40ft putt up and over a tier on the 5th green today. Normally I would be flat out getting within 10ft. I read the break as 6%. That means you put up 6fingers when standing behind the ball. Equates to about 12ft of break these are approx. I hit the putt to 2ft and instead of marking and taking my normal stance. I tried to hit the putt without taking my stance as I would have been on someone's line FFS. Gave myself An uppercut there.

The next hole I had a lightning quick downhill 15footer. Concentrated on line and forgot it was downhill hit it 20ft past. Another uppercut there.
    I found on the obvious slopes I was good. On the not so obvious my eyes betrayed me. Can't wait to keep practicing this method it is fun.

Had my first round using Aimpoint Express today. Had 35 putts but that doesn't really reflect how well I putted.

First of I am really glad I did the course. Might not be for everyone but for me this has given me a process that works and I will only get better at.

For instance I had a 40ft putt up and over a tier on the 5th green today. Normally I would be flat out getting within 10ft. I read the break as 6%. That means you put up 6fingers when standing behind the ball. Equates to about 12ft of break these are approx. I hit the putt to 2ft and instead of marking and taking my normal stance. I tried to hit the putt without taking my stance as I would have been on someone's line FFS. Gave myself An uppercut there.

The next hole I had a lightning quick downhill 15footer. Concentrated on line and forgot it was downhill hit it 20ft past. Another uppercut there.
    I found on the obvious slopes I was good. On the not so obvious my eyes betrayed me. Can't wait to keep practicing this method it is fun.
    6 fingers, are u part Tasmanian??

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluu View Post
    6 fingers, are u part Tasmanian??
    Haha no I am not

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Your putting last week certainly wasn't poor when you were on unfamiliar greens.

Quote Originally Posted by wazamac View Post
    Your putting last week certainly wasn't poor when you were on unfamiliar greens.
    Yeah it is getting better particularly judging pace

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

As long as it is getting better, everyone after the game today was complaining about the speed of the greens. They obviously didn't realise we have Presidents Cup qualifying next week and Pennants
    in 2 weeks so the staff will keep the speed up.

Quote Originally Posted by wazamac View Post
    As long as it is getting better, everyone after the game today was complaining about the speed of the greens. They obviously didn't realise we have Presidents Cup qualifying next week and Pennants
    in 2 weeks so the staff will keep the speed up.
    Our greens are very quick. Last week at Barossa was relatively easy. I actually putted better today even though I had more putts. I was on more greens in reg but further away from the hole.

Thread Information