Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: That extra step

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Default That extra step

I am in a bit of form lately, down to my lowest ever handicap of 4.4. I would like to take the next step and get down to 1-2 but I am struggling to isolate where I should look for that improvement.

The thing that is costing me at the moment is just to occasional loose shot, full swing generally, and not sure how to tighten that up. My good shots are good enough, and I don't have a common miss.

I guess the answer is a lesson or two, but I am worried about destroying the form I am in! Any thoughts are welcome.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Not sure if u keep them but if u do look at your stats. It will give u pointers on what to work on. For me its was my short game, now that is going OK it has shown weakness in my iron play.

U might also find improvements might be from not shooting the bad scores u were having (ie your bad scores aren't as bad).

I would also be interested in what other suggestions ppl have.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Make your practice more 'Play' like set up as like say hit 4 shots to different targets with full routine,really focusing on the shot,and not your swing.

Then do another set say 5 shots,full routine,full commitment to what you are doing.

Then do a 3 shot set,same thing,different targets,full commitment to process.

Some ideas my coach has given me,also single figures,and it really helps.

Make practice shorter with real effort,then go home on a high.
    Callaway GBB 10.5 AD DI 6S shaft
    Callaway 2 Hybrid X Stiff Kuro Kage
    Callaway Apex Pro 16's 3-PW KBS X Stiff shafts
    Callaway 50,60 Mack Daddy 2 wedges
    Titleist SM5 54 Wedge
    Bushnell Rangefinder
    Titleist Pro V1
    Odyssey Putter 34' with Superstroke 3
    Footjoy Shoes
    Oakley /Radar Lock Path Prizm lenses
    Sligo/Oscar Jacobson/Ukko Clothing
    Loudmouth/Footjoy Gloves

Senior Member Major Winner

It is coaching time now. You will need to tighten up the technique to get to the next level.

Practice will get you about the four handicap... But past that, you have to step up the consistency

Probably should have mentioned I have not practiced at all for about 5 years, the improvement from about an 8-9 mark to where I am at currently have been mental. I used to get too caught up in playing golf swing, now I don't practice that does not happen at all. I have accepted my swing a bit and that is what worried me about coaching etc!

Honestly the last couple of shots worth have been due to buying a new putter!

I don't keep stats as I get so worried about the stats I forget to actually focus on getting the ball in the hole. Played today, Hit 10 Fairways (average would be 8-9 I would think), 9 greens (9-10 is about average for me), 31 putts, again about average (was higher prior to the new putter!). Shot 5 over. I am guessing to shoot par I need to hit 2-3 more greens and have 2-3 less putts. To make more putts I probably have to hit it closer as there was really only 1 putt I missed today from inside about 8 feet. Had a lot of 10-12 footers and a few of them burnt over the side of the lip.

Part of the reason for the lack of practice is I don't really know what to work on...I think you are right Virge, need to tighten things up a bit. It is lesson time, but have to commit to practicing too!

Quote Originally Posted by Toolish View Post
    Probably should have mentioned I have not practiced at all for about 5 years, the improvement from about an 8-9 mark to where I am at currently have been mental. I used to get too caught up in playing golf swing, now I don't practice that does not happen at all. I have accepted my swing a bit and that is what worried me about coaching etc!

Honestly the last couple of shots worth have been due to buying a new putter!

I don't keep stats as I get so worried about the stats I forget to actually focus on getting the ball in the hole. Played today, Hit 10 Fairways (average would be 8-9 I would think), 9 greens (9-10 is about average for me), 31 putts, again about average (was higher prior to the new putter!). Shot 5 over. I am guessing to shoot par I need to hit 2-3 more greens and have 2-3 less putts. To make more putts I probably have to hit it closer as there was really only 1 putt I missed today from inside about 8 feet. Had a lot of 10-12 footers and a few of them burnt over the side of the lip.

Part of the reason for the lack of practice is I don't really know what to work on...I think you are right Virge, need to tighten things up a bit. It is lesson time, but have to commit to practicing too!
    Best of luck with your quest.
    Hope it turns out much better for you than when I tried to go lower from 4 10 years ago. Started having lessons and lots of practice, didn't end well and grew to hate the game so walked away for 6 years.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I'd love to be able to hit 10 fairways and 10 greens, I'm shooting 6 to 8 over regularly with half that.

Maybe you should get a lesson a week for a month, practice with it and see how you come out the other end. You may find that 3 or 4 will pull you up, but without actually committing for a period you'll never know.

Difficulty will be finding a coach that doesn't want to change you into him

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

My guess is the next step is to learn the art of control with the irons. Control is the ability to hit exact distances with minimum role, including distances between clubs. This includes half and thee- quarter shots, knock downs and control in the wind from all types of lies and slopes. That should keep you occupied.☺
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Having played with some good players in my time, it seems to me that what they do and I don't (often enough), is hit the ball within reasonable putting distance on the green in the least amount of strokes possible. How many fairways or greens they hit is a matter of consequence. (Needless to say), at the end of the round, it's the number of strokes they took to get the ball in the hole (any which way), that counts and by focussing on getting that ball within putting distance, they seem to do this more regularly than me.

Blog Entries

Clearly you need to ask gotitatlast!
    Cobra Fly Z+ w/ Fujikura Pro 63x
    Cobra BioCell+ 16.5* w/ Diamana D+ 72s
    Cobra Amp Cell Pro 3-PW w/ Modus 120 S
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52*/56*
    Scotty Cameron GoLo 5 (knuckled)

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

How many up and downs for the 9 greens you missed?

100th ranked PGA pro in greens hit is averaging 11.7 per round and playing to ~ +5. So you are 2.7 shots behind in hitting greens but 9.4 shots on HCP. Where could you best make up those shots?

100th ranked PGA pro for scrambling is making 86%, so if you had his short game you would be making 16.4 pars per round (give or take, assuming a couple of birdies make up for the odd FU) and you would be averaging 1.6 over and playing to about +2ish.

Point is you are close to a pro in long game and miles away on short game. If you had two hours per week to practice, could you reliably hit 1 extra green or make 1 or 2 more up and downs? If you could make 2 more up and downs you would be off 2. There is a neat Bob Rotella thread on here somewhere that I cant find. Someone will point to the link I am sure.
    Nike Vapor Flex Accra Tour Z 85 ST
    TEE E8b 15* Whiteboard 100
    TEE XCG7b 19* Accra XH105 Tour Red
    j36 CB 3-9 SPB
    Scratch 48b SPB
    Vokey 54, 60 C Taper
    Boccieri F3-DF Heavy
    #3 soft bristle Aldi special
    Chromesoft

Any thoughts are welcome.
    Like what Virge says, that handicap of 4 is stage you have reached easily and many do. I think one significant reason for why many cant get past this, is because at most golf courses it means during your best rounds you are going have this big PAR sign hanging in front of your nose, which is a massive psychological barrier, and you will probably crack more often than you dont. It is so much easier to shoot a gross score equal to the ACR, if its over par than under. Its got nothing to do with improving shortgame or putting or fairways. Some people got to that handicap because those areas are their strengths.

I played off 5 for 30 years, give or take 1 shot, never got lower than 3.5. Never got lessons. But relative to where I was at 17 to now that same handicap is at least 5 shots worse (back then 5 was good enough to make the state under 18s if you had of broke 80 in the last round!)
    last couple of years have been playing the best of my life, and its pretty unusual for a 47yo to suddenly improve out of sight.

The things that must have helped me last few years, because its different
    - less practice
    - a few lessons from Marty Ayers
    - regular chiropractic treatments
    - better equipment- got the nunchuk throughout the bag

I really dunno what to make of all that, except that there is probably no single magic pill that will work for everyone. Particularly if you are new to that level of golf rather than returning to it.

Shortly after I hit my all time low handicap I have also 'hired' a regular coach and working on some major swing changes, amongst other things, new putting stroke, new chipping, pitching action, because I want to step it up further.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 18th May 2015 at 07:44 PM.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Any chopper can play off 4. Your statement about no practice proves it. Big difference between plus & 2 markers

Can't believe everyones missing the point - you need new gear. That 905s driver just ain't gonna cut it
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Quote Originally Posted by TheNuclearOne View Post
    Can't believe everyones missing the point - you need new gear. That 905s driver just ain't gonna cut it
    agree 100% buy some decent sticks toolish

Quote Originally Posted by TheNuclearOne View Post
    Haha...The 905 is long gone... Now using a Mizzy Mx700, so 6 years old.... Maybe it is driver time! Need to update WITB thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Coldtopper View Post
    Any chopper can play off 4. Your statement about no practice proves it. Big difference between plus & 2 markers
    Respectfully I disagree that any chopper can play off 4...4% of golfers are off less than , that is not any chopper!

The difference to get lower I agree with.

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by Coldtopper View Post
    so whats the answer? Short game? Putting? etc?

Haha...The 905 is long gone... Now using a Mizzy Mx700, so 6 years old.... Maybe it is driver time! Need to update WITB thread!
    All jokes aside you are at the point and ability level where some fitted gear would help, maybe even bag makeup.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Respectfully I disagree that any chopper can play off 4...4% of golfers are off less than , that is not any chopper!

The difference to get lower I agree with.
    It is true u don't need much talent to get to 4, even I got there before.

There are many players on low h'caps with dysfunctional swings. Athletic ability and some talent/confidence in ones ability can overcome flaws in technique.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 3 Jab View Post
    so whats the answer? Short game? Putting? etc?
    Short game m3j! True scratch and better players also are that much better ball strikers. When you get to the next level of players tour pros etc its putting under pressure that stands out imo.

I play with two scratch markers quite regularly. Their short games are reasonable, but they don't miss many fairways or greens at all.

One isn't overly long, both over 50 years old.

They would also practice at least twice a week. Personally think this is key, but you have to be practising the right things.

I caddied for jaster when he had his 36 hole club matchplay final against a +3 marker. Jaster was longer, straighter and inside this guy all day but this guy just putted insane and won in the end. We'd played several times with this guy and he was no better a ball striker than other low single players we'd seen, but his putting was out of sight.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Thread Information