Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20 21 22
    Senior Member Major Winner

Default 2015 QLD Champs – 29-31 May – Official Thread

Time is upon us again for the famed OZgolf Qld Champs, and as the Barnum Brothers may have said, we are “taking the show on the road”!

The prestigous Duncan Bennett Memorial Trophy will again be up for grabs as golfers across the country compete to be Qld's top Ozgolfer.

Past Winners:
    2004: Iain
    2005: GazGolf
    2006: DC68
    2007: BrisVegas
    2008: Davemason
    2009: PeteThePilot
    2010: Oxy
    2011: Nudgee
    2012: Ferrins
    2013: Marto65
    2014: DaveS
    2015: Could it be YOU??

Accommodation:
    Friday and Saturday night

http://www.coralcovegolfclub.com/resort
    $320 for 2 nights in a villa (2br 1 bath - sleeps up to 4 - self contained) - That's a stella $40/night per person
    $540 for 2 nights in a condo (3br 3bath - sleeps up to 7 – self contained) - That's also an awesome $39/night per person
    There is a restaurant / tavern on site, as well as a pool, BBQ’s and tennis courts.

I have reserved 5 villas (20 people). If you want to share with less than a full quota, you are probably best booking another villa / condo yourself. Also, the accommodation is a 2 night deal, so cheap rates are valid only for the 2 night stay.

For those thinking of taking the family and want their own digs, resort can be contacted on 1800 356 722

I also have room for 8 at my place for those who want to break the return trip up Sunday night.

The Golf:
    (All golf to be prebooked and includes fees for prizes (overall / NTP etc).)

Friday: One of Country Queensland’s finest: Maryborough golf club. We will be playing in the Friday Stableford Comp. 11:00am tee - 6 groups booked
    http://www.maryboroughgolfclub.com/

$35 walking only (carts are all booked out).

Note: Maryborough is a 3hr from Brisbane Airport. We will be heading to Coral Cove after the round – approx. 90min

Saturday: Change of plans - Bargara may have forgotten this day was ladies club champs, but Rum City's finest - Bundaberg GC has stepped up to the challenge, and is going out of their way to look after us.
    http://www.bundaberggolfclub.com.au/

Tee tee start - single stableford from 11:00am.

$40 + $17 ea for cart (optional).

Note: Bundaberg is approx. 4.5hrs from Brisbane Airport, and 20min from Coral Cove

Sunday: Did anybody say Par 6? We head to the home of the 2015 QLD Champs - Coral Cove Resort. approx 7:30am tee.
    http://www.coralcovegolfclub.com/golf-course

Social round only:
    $55 Inc compulsory cart for those staying onsite
    $65 Inc compulsory cart for those not staying onsite

Monday: Not a lot of Monday comp rounds, but Royal Gympie and Cooroy are on the drive home, or the Sunshine Coast with its many courses is a small detour. I will get more information together pending interest. (Pay on the day)

NOTE: All golf to be prebooked and includes fees for prizes (overall / NTP etc). I will register interest below and deposit / payments paid early would be most appreciated. Some people may get cheaper rates for reciprocal etc, I will adjust accordingly ON THE DAY if applicable, and refund then.

Course ratings:
    Maryborough GC – White Par 70, Scr 69, Slope 119
    Bundaberg GC – White Par 71, Scr 69, Slope 118
    Coral Cove – Blue Par 71, Scr 70, Slope 129

Additional Information:
    Flight Information:
    Flying into Brisbane leaves drives as above.
    Flying into Sunshine Coast - 2hrs to Maryborough, 3.5hrs to Coral Cove. Good option as cheap flights from Melb / Sydney
    Flying into Hervey Bay - 30min to Maryborough, 1.5hrs to Coral Cove. Flights not as cheap. Direct to Brisbane or Sydney. Sydney times aren't golf freindly.
    Flying into Bundaberg - 75min to Maryborough, 15min to Coral Cove. Direct to Brisbane and connections only.

And a map to help out:
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...k.kl-RFx1ICgSw

And the fine print:
    1. You will not be considered as entered until you supply your Full name, club and Golflink.
    2. Deposits (min 20%) to be paid by end March. Remaining by end April. Late entries will be accepted pending availability.
    3. All rounds for championship purposes will be scored as stableford.
    4. We do this for fun, so don't be a dick if we don't quite have what you want, or you don't like it.

Payment by bank transfer - Please leave your user name and QLD as the message ie "QLD - Peppas"

Bank: Bankwest
    A/C: Benjamin Reed
    BSB: 303 092
    A/c #: 5689339

Player Fri Golf $35 Sat Golf
    $40
    Sun Golf
    $55/$65
    Mon Golf Sat Cart
    $17
    Fri Accomm.
    $40
    Sat Accomm.
    $40
    Owe Paid Comments
    (Max 24)
    16 16 4 9 12 12 $210 $2928
    Benno_r Y Y Y ($55) Y N Y Y $0 $210
    AndyP N Y Y ($55) N N N N (w/ SundayHack) $0 $175
    3pp Y Y Y ($55) N Y Y Y $0 $227
    Damoocow N Y Y ($55) N N Y Y $0 $175
    Davemason N Y Y Mem. N N N N $0 $55 No accomm req'd
    Daves Y Y Y ($55) N Y Y Y $0 $227 DEFENDING CHAMP!!!!!
    Ferrins Y Y Y ($55) N N Y Y $0 $210
    jimandr Y Y Y ($55) Y Y Y ($80) Y ($80) $0 $307 Own room in villa (maybe)
    Lagerlover Y Y Y ($55) N Y Y Y $0 $227
    Nudgee Y Y Y ($55) Y Y Y ($80) Y ($80) $0 $307
    Peppas Y Y Y ($55) N N Y Y $0 $210
    Peter_RS N Y Y ($55) N Y Y Y $40 $152
    Ploppy Pat Y Y Y ($55) Y Y Y ($80) Y ($80) $0 $307
    Shane788 Y Y Y ($55) N N N N $130 $0 No accomm req'd
    Shazza_RS N Y Y ($55) N Y Y Y $40 $152
    SundayHack Y Y Y ($55) N Y N N $0 $147

Friday Draw:
    Maryborough GC-1st tee (times a a little flexible - no timesheet for Fridays)

11:30: Benno_r, Nudgee, Daves

11:37: Peppas, Ferrins, Ploppy Pat

11:44: SundayHack, Lagerlover, 3puttpete, Jimandr
    Last edited by benno_r; 27th May 2015 at 11:45 AM.

Haha
    bio cell+ big stick - fly z+ 3W - b'bertha 4h - srickson 545/745
    46-50 RTX, 56-60 md2 - tank cruiser 38" count balance
    delilah smiley driver and MAGNETIC putter cover
    sun mountain bag C130S - clicgear & knob

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

It is amazing how much better you feel after 9 hours sleep, which isn't far short of what I got in the three days I was away.

I'm now lucid enough to put a few thoughts together.

Thanks to all my playing partners, who were Sunday Hack, Ploppy Pat, Ferrins, AndyP, Nudgee, LagerLover, Benno_R, Peter RS and Daves. Every round was a pleasure just for the company, and the laughs we had during the rounds will stay with me for a while.

I also saw some good golf in parts from just about all the abovenamed, but special mention obviously goes to Benno_R for performing when it counted. I recall some of his early posts as a shot per hole golfer with a massive push slice. He's got rid of that for the most part, and he's now a shot every second hole player who still has a few handicap reductions in him.

I struggled a bit with the lack of sleep, but I think I was better off for being in the centre of the action and the subject of some of the jokes. It was certainly funnier being where I was rather than being on the outside looking (and listening) in.

I'll tell one golf story, which I should have told on Sunday afternoon around the table, but the time wasn't right. Why didn't I win after holding the overnight lead? Here's why. On the long drive 6th my drive was (naturally) a long way behind the long drive, but on the fairway. I hit a worm burner with my next, which wasn't a good shot, but would've gone into a Ok position, except that MY BALL HIT THE LONG DRIVE MARKER. This cost me about 40 metres, and left me with a long shot to the green, which I totally stuffed up and sprayed into the 2ft deep cabbage to the right, never to be found again. A wipe instead of an almost certain birdie, and the champs was lost. So much bad luck!

Apart from that, good times all the time. I hope the NSW Champs in a month's time can reach this standard as an entertainment event.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    It is amazing how much better you feel after 9 hours sleep, which isn't far short of what I got in the three days I was away.

Thanks to all my playing partners, who were Sunday Hack, Ploppy Pat, Ferrins, AndyP, Nudgee, LagerLover, Benno_R, Peter RS and Daves. Every round was a pleasure just for the company, and the laughs we had during the rounds will stay with me for a while.

I also saw some good golf in parts from just about all the abovenamed, but special mention obviously goes to Benno_R for performing when it counted. I recall some of his early posts as a shot per hole golfer with a massive push slice. He's got rid of that for the most part, and he's now a shot every second hole player who still has a few handicap reductions in him.

I struggled a bit with the lack of sleep, but I think I was better off for being in the centre of the action and the subject of some of the jokes. It was certainly funnier being where I was rather than being on the outside looking (and listening) in.

I'll tell one golf story, which I should have told on Sunday afternoon around the table, but the time wasn't right. Why didn't I win after holding the overnight lead? Here's why. On the long drive 6th my drive was (naturally) a long way behind the long drive, but on the fairway. I hit a worm burner with my next, which wasn't a good shot, but would've gone into a Ok position, except that MY BALL HIT THE LONG DRIVE MARKER. This cost me about 40 metres, and left me with a long shot to the green, which I totally stuffed up and sprayed into the 2ft deep cabbage to the right, never to be found again. A wipe instead of an almost certain birdie, and the champs was lost. So much bad luck!

Apart from that, good times all the time. I hope the NSW Champs in a month's time can reach this standard as an entertainment event.
    Sounds like Benno's title needs to have an * next to it

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluu View Post
    Sounds like Benno's title needs to have an * next to it
    That maybe the case. Now the trophy is firmly in my downstairs toilet, I can tell you all of my devious plan.

Step 1 - Pair the unfortunate Jim with the groups loudest/noisiest/drunkiest player...

Step 2 - Continuation of step 1 by setting up a villa with "not the greatest" solo sleeping arrangements

Step 3 - Lull competitor into false sense of security by tieing with him Friday, and going 3 down to him on Saturday

Step 4 - Get a local ring in to play the Sunday, win the long drive, and have him place the marker in the line I knew competitors 2nd shot would be

Step 5 - Calamity ensues...

So if you think my efforts are worthy of a "*" my friend, then "*" me up!!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

"Step 4 - Get a local ring in to play the Sunday, win the long drive, and have him place the marker in the line I knew competitors 2nd shot would be"

Work of a genius!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Great work benno and congras on the win.

Thanks for organizing the weekend I just hope the resort will have us back after the caretaker didn't like the chair art .

If there is to be a next time, let me know an advance I'll work on Bargara GC to have a day at both Bargara & Coral Cove next time even if I have to book out some tee times at Coral Cove on the Saturday from 11am.
    Home Club Coral Cove GC
    Taylormade man all the way

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

We all have our gripes, my eagle putt on that hole hit the hole dead centre and lipped out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    We all have our gripes, my eagle putt on that hole hit the hole dead centre and lipped out.
    And your awesome laser readings nearly put me in the water if it wasn't for that cart path! Haha
    Titleist Jap Staff Bag,
    SLDR 8*, GD BB 7X,
    13* 3 Deep, Aldila Rogue 70X,
    Cobra Biocell+ 14*, Kiyoshi White 75X,
    Cobra BioCell+ 18*, Motore Speeder 98X,
    Titleist 712U 4i, Nippon Modus3 120X,
    Cobra Amp Cell Pro 5-9i, Nippon Modus3 120X,
    Scratch Golf 47*, 53*, 58*, DG X100s
    Scotty Cameron Newport.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane788 View Post
    And your awesome laser readings nearly put me in the water if it wasn't for that cart path! Haha
    Sorry about that I normally just use the laser for NTP readings.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Great long weekend. After playing the last few weeks in cold temperatures in Melbourne, it was weird to play in heat and humid conditions again.

Benno mate congrats on the deserved win and on organising a fantastic champs. Bloody great effort!!

Thanks to my playing partners that endured what was without doubt the worst golf I have probably ever played (yes Even worse that Vic champs).

Thanks LagerLover for all the beers during our round on Saturday, made the painful golf much easier to bear.

And a special thanks to Peppas for the genuinely sincere hug you gave me before you left with your well deserved Naga trophy!!

Let's do it again next year.
    http://i.imgur.com/faaHHg2.jpg[/img

Sorry about that I normally just use the laser for NTP readings.
    6.25m?
    Titleist Jap Staff Bag,
    SLDR 8*, GD BB 7X,
    Scotty Cameron Newport.

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    Awesome picture from the 2nd.
    Titleist Jap Staff Bag,
    SLDR 8*, GD BB 7X,
    Scotty Cameron Newport.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I love the overhead view that GameGolf gives of the tee shot on the 2nd at Coral Cove.

Interestingly, the mobile app version shows the same shot with the tide out, as we played it on the day.

28th & 30th May 2016 is the only weekend I have available.

What is the best course up this way Bundy, Bargarra..???

What is the best course up this way Bundy, Bargarra..???
    Bargara is the prettiest, but suffers from a low SCR. Coral Cove is hit and miss. Bundy generally good nick with a boring layout.

For comp - Bundy. For social, Bargara.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

More quality thread mining by the F man.

From my point of view, it might depend upon what you want.

As a place to visit, Coral Cove is the easy pick. One good view of the sea, a few challenging holes, and a novelty par 6. But I really wouldn't want to be a member and play the identical semi push up greens three times a week.

As a members course, I'd put Bundaberg way on top. I liked its variety of holes, and the clubhouse looked quite good. Bargara is, again, a course I wouldn't want to be playing regularly. The 240m par 4's and likely 45 point scores to win the comp when the old guys off 40 have a good day would get very tiresome. By far the best clubhouse though.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Played both in recent times, both are quality courses. Bargara is a links style course, shorter but tight fairways and when the wind gets up has some tough holes. Bundaberg is a flat layout more open than Bargara and more length. Hard to say one is better than the other, would depend what you liked.
    Apparently good fishing up that way and some good beaches, walking and biking tracks.

Thread Information