Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member Major Winner

Default Benno's Swing (Yes this swing beat NSW's finest!?!?!?!?!)

Been spending a bit of time hovering between 13ish and 15ish, lots of my game needs working on. But figured I'd post up a video of a 7i swing at the range.

Saw a pro a couple of months ago which determined i came way inside, ridiculously flat at the top, then massively OTT. I have been working on my takeaway for the last little while, and I am relatively happy with the progress compared to where I was. I can still see issues with what happens from there though, but I have no fixed time frame for working this out. I love playing and hoing, even if my swing is rubbish.

My goals for the work is simply consistency. I have gone from pull hooks, pull fades, and block fade, to basically hitting light fades now. would love to be able to hit a baby draw on demand, but not fussed if I stay a fade player.

Feel free to slice, dice, offer criticism, or potential remedies. I don't have the ability to practice as mush as I would like, but I am all for improvement.

Fire away!

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Something not right with that link.....

Quote Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
    Something not right with that link.....
    Anyone else? It was my first youtube upload.

Paste the straight URL

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    Been spending a bit of time hovering between 13ish and 15ish, lots of my game needs working on. But figured I'd post up a video of a 7i swing at the range.

Saw a pro a couple of months ago which determined i came way inside, ridiculously flat at the top, then massively OTT. I have been working on my takeaway for the last little while, and I am relatively happy with the progress compared to where I was. I can still see issues with what happens from there though, but I have no fixed time frame for working this out. I love playing and hoing, even if my swing is rubbish.

My goals for the work is simply consistency. I have gone from pull hooks, pull fades, and block fade, to basically hitting light fades now. would love to be able to hit a baby draw on demand, but not fussed if I stay a fade player.

Feel free to slice, dice, offer criticism, or potential remedies. I don't have the ability to practice as mush as I would like, but I am all for improvement.

Fire away!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-c...&v=pHZo4Irmkhw

Im just a hacker as well, but...... Your chest looks pretty closed (or put another way, your shoulders hunched over towards the ball).

Solid swing Benno. Ever so slight coming over the top creating slight out to in path.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Looks like you start taking it back low and well inside, but save it somewhat at the top where is is basically in the slot, with the face perhaps a touch closed. When you unwind, your top half and bottom half unwind together, rather than your bottom half leading. This gives you the closed shoulder position at impact, a bit of smother action.

Obviously see your pro for further guidance, but some suggestions of things to check yourself;

I like to make sure I have the grip and hand position right first up, 2 knuckles, lead hand on top on the grip, grip in the finger/palm line, marry the hands. Arms should be hanging straight down, drop your right hand off the club and see where it hangs? Get you hands forward, they should be in line with your left tit, not middle of your stance. Focus on impact and past to your finish (down and out), let your subconscious worry about the backswing.

Edit: Also check your divots? are they down the target line, to the left or right, fat or bacon strips?
    Last edited by Daves; 25th January 2015 at 09:30 AM.

Cheers Dave.

Divots are down the line to a hair left. I'd say bacon strips.

Agree that downswing sequence is out. Haven't been working on that mostly take away, as old take away was even further inside, and laid off.

Hands havent been forward (like coach says they should) so will work on that.

Cheers.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Benno looks better than the last time I saw you swing and you where a winner that weekend as Daves said still get inside quickly so keep working on that but looks pretty repeatable and good luck with it
    If it aint for sale the right price has just not been offered

Cheers Lucas, it still stinks, just less.

Took the tips to the course today, hit 30balls before hutting the course. Getting the right tempo for the hips was tough, but really happy with daves setup tips, and working the clubhead out side the hands at parallel on the take away.

Verdict, stunk up the first 6 holes, but a kick in the butt from Jiminy saw 29points from the last 12 holes.

As usual, all really came togethe on the last hole with a 220m 3w straight up the middle, followed by a pw that pitched next to the hole and spun back 4ft.

Not cocky to think I have it solved, but happy that it is moving in the right direction.

Day off tomorrow, so might try see the pro at flightpath driving range for some drills on hip action.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I'll do a video for you on how to hit draws

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Cheers Lucas, it still stinks, just less.

Took the tips to the course today, hit 30balls before hutting the course. Getting the right tempo for the hips was tough, but really happy with daves setup tips, and working the clubhead out side the hands at parallel on the take away.

Verdict, stunk up the first 6 holes, but a kick in the butt from Jiminy saw 29points from the last 12 holes.

As usual, all really came togethe on the last hole with a 220m 3w straight up the middle, followed by a pw that pitched next to the hole and spun back 4ft.

Not cocky to think I have it solved, but happy that it is moving in the right direction.

Day off tomorrow, so might try see the pro at flightpath driving range for some drills on hip action.
    Benno, swing looks good

I've been working on clearing the left hip, that gives me better rotation and allows me to finish properly. I'm looking for the same finish position as Rory, arm positions, facing target (obviously different shot outcomes

I really only started working on this last week, put it into practice at the range yesterday before our game, and games it straight after.

Excellent results already, much better ball contact and accuracy, played one of my best games ever I'd say.

I found one YouTube clip was a real breakthrough and allowed me to fully "get it" finally, you may not need it but I will post or PM the link anyway and see if it's of any help

Quote Originally Posted by highballin View Post
    I'll do a video for you on how to hit draws
    Real draws, or backwards draws???

I already hit the left handed draw very well.

Update:

No driving range yet, but plenty of non contact drills in the last 2 days.

2 things I noticed - if I keep the weight on my right foot on the inside of the foot, the movement seemed easier. Secondly, I concentrated on not standing up through the swing and maintaining spine angle, it seemed to come together better. Bloody tough on the back though - damn me and my lack of core strength and flexibility.

1st real test tonight at the range.

Update #2:

Driving range last night. Mostly off the mats due to the rain (though did hit some irons off the wet grass once it stopped). 2 objectives - not bringing the club too far inside, and firing the hips through the ball.

Verdict:
    Irons - very happy. Much better striking, dispersion much much better.
    Driver - not so happy. With the longer club, the sequencing is still a struggle. Hitting low, straightish stingers. Definitely more work required, as maybe half the time still not transferring the weight and coming through the ball.
    Me - sore in the obliques. My trunk is now twisting while maintaining spine angle. Not painful, but highlights I am using muscles I rarely do.

In closing, I am not cocky to think I am cured, but happy to be moving in the right direction. Off to the range again tonight. Will try and get a few minutes of the pro's time to help with the driver.

Benno
    Your swing is missing retraction of the right shoulder at the top and during the downswing. Without it you will be an over the topper/ flipper who will hit weak fades as his best shot.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Quote Originally Posted by razaar View Post
    Benno
    Your swing is missing retraction of the right shoulder at the top and during the downswing. Without it you will be an over the topper/ flipper who will hit weak fades as his best shot.
    Wow, you're good at this. Where have you seen me swing before???

I will look up shoulder retraction now. Thanks!

Benno
    Righto, my research has me thinking I understand the "retraction" of the shoulder.

To me it is having your shoulder blade pulled back towards your spine (so to speak). Have I got this part right?

Now, (in your most excellent opinion), what should I be doing to achieve this? Is it something you setup with, or is it part of backswing itself as rotation occurs?

Any links, or vids, would be mucho appreciato!

Edit: While I sit at my desk retracting my shoulder, I am wondering if this is what helps to really get your right elbow in tight with the body through the downswing????

II looked at your video. With a protracted right shoulder during the last stages of the backswing, the only way down is outside the swing plane. Outside = early release = flip= keeping the left forearm pronated to avoid the dreaded pullhook.
    Last edited by razaar; 29th January 2015 at 03:16 PM.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Righto, my research has me thinking I understand the "retraction" of the shoulder.

To me it is having your shoulder blade pulled back towards your spine (so to speak). Have I got this part right?

Now, (in your most excellent opinion), what should I be doing to achieve this? Is it something you setup with, or is it part of backswing itself as rotation occurs?

Any links, or vids, would be mucho appreciato!

Edit: While I sit at my desk retracting my shoulder, I am wondering if this is what helps to really get your right elbow in tight with the body through the downswing????
    In your swing it would be best to retract the shoulder later in the backswing. Similar to a backstroke action in swimming. Try for a high right shoulder in the backswing (keep the left up also) and retract the shoulder as the shaft starts towards horizontal.

In your swing it would be best to retract the shoulder later in the backswing. Similar to a backstroke action in swimming. Try for a high right shoulder in the backswing (keep the left up also) and retract the shoulder as the shaft starts towards horizontal.
    Excellent! Will try tonight.

What is you address for delivery of payment? (hookers and blow)

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Wow your swing looks great and apart from a small swing flaw its a good action and one that could be easily repeated ! Simple drill with out the head !@#$ is learn to hit a ball with the left hand only using neutral grip and setting parallel to target with head shoulders knees and toes all aligned to the target line. But then again get a set of kuro onoff's 15's and a shingo driver with a 80t shaft will add more happiness than anything quoted here. . Easy fix
    Did someone mention hookers and blow! Yummy
    BTW do you enjoy a can or two?

Quote Originally Posted by Coldtopper View Post
    But then again get a set of kuro onoff's 15's and a shingo driver with a 80t shaft will add more happiness than anything quoted here. . Easy fix
    Agree with the OnOff's. I will wait for your offcasts there...

Did someone mention hookers and blow! Yummy
    Yep, seem to get a lot more repeat help that way.

BTW do you enjoy a can or two?
    Believe it or not, I have been stone cold sober for 8yrs...

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Agree with the OnOff's. I will wait for your offcasts there...

Yep, seem to get a lot more repeat help that way.

Believe it or not, I have been stone cold sober for 8yrs...
    Thats a good thing. Maybe I should try it. But then again I doubt I could write as much crap as I do on forums without assistance!

Its all in the short game!

Thread Information