Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default Single figure blokes using chunky irons?

Gents,

For those of you with single figure handicaps, just wondering what irons you're gaming? I'm around 7-8hc and in the last few months have been using 712MBs (I actually hit the 712MBs better than I thought I would) and now MP-64s; prior to that I was using 710CBs and 712 AP2s. Played with a bloke last weekend who was playing off 5 (so around 3.0 in Golflink) who was gaming Callaway Apex irons (not the Pro model, just the standard). Was a bit surprised by that given he had a pretty solid swing and a decent handicap, but anyway he was killing it - shot two over par off the stick on medal day, which included a three under par front 9.
    Are any/many of you single figure blokes using something slightly chunkier? Callaway Apex, X2Hot/Pro, i20/i25, JPX825/Pro, Covert Forged, etc? Just curious. Cheers Lads.
    Ping G400 Max 9* w/ KuroKage TiNi Silver 60
    Titleist 917 F2 15* w/ Aldila Rogue Max 75 S
    TaylorMade TP UDI 20* w/ KuroKage 70 S graphite
    Mizuno MP-4 4-PW w/ Project X Rifle 6.0
    SM5 Vokey 50* F Grind & 54* F Grind
    SM6 Vokey 60* S Grind
    Bettinardi Queen B 8

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

I practice with AP2 714's but play with Cally Diablo forged (model before the Apex).
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

I've got my muscle blade Mizunos with DGS300 shafts, this proves beyond any doubt that I'm a player (until someone sees the ball flight)

Went to Adelaide a month or so ago, my clubs didn't arrive. Played at The Grange with a hire set of Callaway chunkies with regular shafts, never hit it better.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Default Single figure blokes using chunky irons?

When I started playing again 3 years ago I got to scratch playing my junior set of 1996 callaway big bertha irons, they were horrible.
    Then I bought a very cheap set of mizzy Mp60's which were a huge improvement and still love the feeling of them. Now I have sets of mp60 with s300, mp32 with x100, mp60/32 combos with s300, mp64s with matrix program 130 and a set of cobra amp cell pro with nippon modus 120x. Mainly use the cobras and 64's but there all good sets, will never go back to the chunkier heads even though I'm hitting it like shit, love the look of compact head at address.
    Titleist Jap Staff Bag,
    SLDR 8*, GD BB 7X,
    13* 3 Deep, Aldila Rogue 70X,
    Cobra Biocell+ 14*, Kiyoshi White 75X,
    Cobra BioCell+ 18*, Motore Speeder 98X,
    Titleist 712U 4i, Nippon Modus3 120X,
    Cobra Amp Cell Pro 5-9i, Nippon Modus3 120X,
    Scratch Golf 47*, 53*, 58*, DG X100s
    Scotty Cameron Newport.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I am off 4 and am using srixon z545, but before that was using 714 Ap1 irons and used taylormade speed blades before that. Our pro at the club used 712 ap1 and he can score good. No way I would use blades, you can still miss hit these and still hit the green, just don't lose as much distance.

You can buy cyclone gear at the hardware if shovels are required.

I just picked up a few sets of Yamahas at value maybe some of the best sets going imo.

The InpresX TM cb's look amzing beind the ball imo not bad for a JDM weapon @ 100 a stick inpres x.jpg

Or the RMX 2014 MB are super sexy like a dressed up 33.
    Attached Images

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I have been playing Nike VR Pro Blades for the last 12-18 months. I bought a set of 714 AP2s, but hit the blades much better. I am experimenting with a set of 714 CBs at the moment. I am trying to get a forgiving set of irons I like and hit well...I am wasting a lot of money doing so!

Senior Member Major Winner

Up until a few weeks ago I was still playing the original AP2s. Now have some Mizzy MP-68's, but I'd hardly call them blades either.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Custom Lajosi DD201 - 390g head
    GolfMap

I currently use i20s which will soon be replaced by i25s. I tried Cally X Proto blades a while ago but it only made the game harder.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Combo set of x hot 3 and 4 irons and Topflite Oversized (Tours ) 5 to wedge.

Used my backup set of Topflites (4 to wedge) at Wingham on Satdy, finished bogey, double, par for 8 over.

Players sticks are overrated

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Using Cally X2Hot Pro irons, with PX95 flighted 5.5's, half inch over, 2* up.
    Have had sets of blades over the years, (Hogan Producer, Titty 690's) but have never hit the ball better than recently.
    Been playing 44 years and just hit my lowest 'cap ever.
    Golflink

WITB
    Ping G400 SFT 12* Accra ST55 Tour Z M5
    Srixon Z355 17* FW Miyazaki Jinsoku S
    RBZ Black 3 HY 19* Rocketfuel 65S
    Srixon Zu65 3 20* Nippon NS Pro 980GH
    Srixon Z765 S300 4-PW
    Tourstage X Wedge 54/10, 58/12
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red CS 35"

Quote Originally Posted by Coldtopper View Post

I just picked up a few sets of Yamahas at value maybe some of the best sets going imo.

The InpresX TM cb's look amzing beind the ball imo not bad for a JDM weapon @ 100 a stick Attachment 33776

Damn ct those look amazing...I have a feeling you will make me a convert at some point!

Blog Entries

Under the original USGA handicap system (10 flags from 20), I got down to 7.7 with Cobra S9, and down to 6.9 with Callaway X20.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

I have played off 2 to 4 for a fair few years and have used tommy armour 855 silver scotts, hogan edges, ping zings, ping i20s and now ping i10s. The zings were ugly as but I played awesome golf with them. I went back to chunkier irons when i got i20s but i hated the offset on the 3 4 and 5 irons. The i10s arent massive but have enough forgiveness to get by.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

I use Wilson FG Tours 3-pw with DGR300's. Very happy with them.

The InpresX TM cb's look amzing beind the ball imo not bad for a JDM weapon @ 100 a stick Attachment 33776

Verrrrrrrryyyyyy sexy business there CT. So you got these babies from Bunnings then?. Just kidding.
    SM6 Vokey 60* S Grind
    Bettinardi Queen B 8

Quote Originally Posted by davidw88 View Post
    I am off 4 and am using srixon z545, but before that was using 714 Ap1 irons and used taylormade speed blades before that. Our pro at the club used 712 ap1 and he can score good. No way I would use blades, you can still miss hit these and still hit the green, just don't lose as much distance.
    Played with a bloke a few weeks ago who was off 3 and rocking the AP1s too.
    SM6 Vokey 60* S Grind
    Bettinardi Queen B 8

What year model are those? They are hot!

On-Off are my dream jdm irons, but these are giving them a run.

I know what you are thinking! You don't have to ask around just buy some and try them yourself!

Now back to being serious, I don't play off a single figure. Currently off 10. I have only ever played off 9 just once in a competition. But since I have met you in person and read about your family situations on here, I'd like to give you my two cents worth because I have been there and done that.

Since I took up this great game six years ago at a age of late 30s with a handicap of 26, it has become my life and I have spent so much money trying to do everything I can to improve my game. I am not loaded with cash either and my wife is not too happy but because I am a what makes me tick, I gotta do type of guy.

To keep the story short, ever since I started, I have always played with some kind of players iron (Mizuno MP-33s, 53s, 54s, 59s, 62s, and 63s and wishon 550c).
    Whenever I played with an A-grader with chunkier club than mine and when they told me they found my clubs are harder to control, I started to believe I am playing an iron set that is too difficult for my level of golf.

So I went and bought a set of G25s, the first set of chunky clubs ever I played with. Did I like or get the results? I don't think they made too much difference. I hit them higher and further which would regarded as being better but I could never like the feel of the cast clubs.
    It never gave me the same feeling I get from a Mizuno even if I flush one.

Earlier last year after a fitting session at PPGL, I started to believe a set of iron with these fancy graphite iron shafts would benefit me so I went to a Callaway fitting session at my golf club and was fitted into X Hot 2 heads because I have already chosen I wanted the recoil shafts.
    After forking out another $1300 for a set of irons, did I like it or see the results? I don't play them at the moment because I don't have the swing speed to generate enough height and the spin with them. Whenever I hit the green with a good shot, I'd end up over the green having too much roll-out. They are sitting at my workshop gathering dusts.

Well after trying two sets of chunkier clubs, I can tell you that I never liked them and I regret spending so much $$$$ on them.

What I learned after hurting my bank balance a big time is that you have to have CONFIDENCE in your equipment and you have to LIKE what you play to give you the best outcome no matter what sort of clubs you play.
    The moment you started to have doubts about your equipment, it will ruin your rounds and your bank balance.

I feel you are in the same boat as me, trying to do whatever it takes to lower the handicap. I was playing off 10 January last year then my handicap blown out back to 16 during the year and now I managed to get it back down to 10.
    I would like to play off scratch and I know I might run out of time before I even get any closer but if I believe I gave it my all, I wouldn't have regrets.

After going through so many sets of clubs, I know for a fact, any equipment change will never lower my handicap. But I still dig the Proshop for whatever I like and I don't know how long my current set of clubs will last because I am a ho and its all part of the fun.

I bought my Ping I20's new about 2 1/2 years ago now. Went in to the shop to get fitted for S56's, but walked out with the I20's.

Was fairly happy with them for a long while and still have them.

Picked up a set of s56's a couple of weeks ago and the difference is amazing. I think I will be sticking to the S series pings for the next few years at least.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Does anyone want to swap their 714 AP2's for some 714 AP1's......?

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

I like blades, just the look really.

Tried some GI irons, i hated the strong lofts, the ball went way too far and i felt i couldnt control it at all.

Current gamers are from early 90's, 48 PW, and i love them. Hitting the ball well and i dont feel the miss hits are that bad really.

Play what works but i didnt feel that GI irons helped me any more than blades do.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

I played on single figures for the last 8 years using TM XD irons with titanium insert, other than chipping, these clubs were great and felt like cheating because they were so easy to play. I am now gaming Apex pro's and whilst I have to concentrate a lot harder on each shot I play with them, the results regarding distance control and dispersion are substantially better with the Apex compared to the XD's. 20c worth!!!!!!!

Ozgolf Mod Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 3 Jab View Post
    I like blades, just the look really.

Tried some GI irons, i hated the strong lofts, the ball went way too far and i felt i couldnt control it at all.

Current gamers are from early 90's, 48 PW, and i love them. Hitting the ball well and i dont feel the miss hits are that bad really.

Play what works but i didnt feel that GI irons helped me any more than blades do.

That view at address is nothing compared to the 3 iron.

I'm sort of in a transitional phase once again. My Burner TPs are very nice, look sensational at address, but am looking at several different options that are more forgiving. My swing just doesn't repeat itself well enough for me to get the consistent results that I want.

Pings are in the crosshairs...even something as old as the mighty i5s. S56 is a fantastic iron though...

Quote Originally Posted by KristianJ View Post
    That view at address is nothing compared to the 3 iron.

I'm sort of in a transitional phase once again. My Burner TPs are very nice, look sensational at address, but am looking at several different options that are more forgiving. My swing just doesn't repeat itself well enough for me to get the consistent results that I want.

Pings are in the crosshairs...even something as old as the mighty i5s. S56 is a fantastic iron though...
    Go the S56

Thread Information