Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 62 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 51 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Default Dave's Bag Lotto and Club Reviews

I posted the post quoted below in my WITB thread, but thought I might start a separate thread, as I intend to complete some club reviews and updates at opportunity.

Today's bag sees my 710 AP2s (105Ts) back in my bag after months of absence whilst I tried a number of new new acquisitions, plus a number of rebirthed and lengthened sets. These are one of my favorite long term iron sets, so will be interesting to see if they still have it!

Driver for today will be an Epon AF101 with Bassara 73 in Reg. I haven't hit this club very much for some reason, never in comp, but remember it as being very straight, if not particularly long.

Hybrid set up for today will be a set of Adams a12 Pros in 16, 18 & 20*.

Last night I built the set of irons that I will likely play on Friday. TM TP CBs (2011) with R300s. I have had these heads for a while, but only just got around to building the set. Looking forward to trying them.

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    I have started a system of bag make up I am calling Bag Lotto. The main rules are I have to use a different driver, and a different set of irons each comp round. My Hybrid set up is also now getting mixed up. Only the core Wedges (Yururi 53* and 61*) and the Putter stay the same. This includes adding Drivers and irons cold, never before hit. I have started to also include practice rounds in the mix, just so I don't get attached to any single Driver or Iron set.

Makes for an interesting first couple of holes!, but it is actually working quite well, and giving me a better chance to assess and appreciate the various clubs in my collection. It has also (coincidentally?) coincided with me playing some of my most consistent golf in quite a while. Eventually I will complete a ranking/preference list of the Drivers, Hybrids and Irons, and then see if I can come up with the best combination as a target bag.

Today I played an X2 Hot 10.5*, and my just acquired set of MP53/59s. The X2 Hot (Aldila Blue) wasn't overly long, but fairly easy to hit and forgiving, pretty easy to hit fairways. I wasn't getting the greatest feel/feedback from the Mizzys, but I couldn't argue with the results. Good flight, very straight and consistent distances. At this stage I am putting the (lack of) feel down to the shafts (XP S300s).
    Last edited by Daves; 9th February 2015 at 01:51 PM.

Well test bag #1 went pretty well. 40 points in yesterdays comp, including a couple of Birdies and a NTP.

The AP2s are old faithfuls, so no great surprise there. And the Adams Hybrids have been working very well for me in recent weeks. I ended putting the wrong Epon in the bag somehow?? Ended up playing the AF101 with Prolaunch Red in stiff. It was its usual accurate self, and got some good distance out of it as well. Though I only used it on 7 holes, as the 16* Adams Hybrid is quite long off the tee for me, and usually very accurate.

I won't post up my reviews just yet, I will wait till I have a few more bag rotations. I have drawn up a 10 factor, 100 point scoring scale that should keep the reviews short, but hopefully useful.

Tomorrow's irons are going to be the yet to be hit TM TP CBs with newly installed R300s. I haven't chosen Driver or Hybrid combo as yet, something for later today.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

The Lotto part implies gambling on the eventual result and a prize.

I predict the winner will be the cheapest and least liked combo, and the NAGA will be your sentimental favourites, the ones you want to be really good.

Have you got a putter collection as well? I haven't, but I know a number of Ozgolfers could play a different putter every day of the week. I challenge them to do so and post the results.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Not sure if Genius or Insanity. However, like a car crash, I must watch it.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

This will be like Mark Crossfield reviews.

But in the real world.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyD View Post
    Not sure if Genius or Insanity. However, like a car crash, I must watch it.
    Hah! Articulated my sentiments.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I wish I had the available cash to be able to do the same (also wish I had not moved on some of the sets of irons I have had).

I shall live vicariously through this thread!
    Golf is an ineffectual attempt to get an uncontrollable sphere into an inaccessible hole with instruments ill adapted to the purpose

Woods: Titleist 915 D2 10.5*,
    915 f15*, 915 h21*
    Irons:
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW
    Wedges:
    Titleist SM5 54/10* & 60/7*
    Putter:
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red
    Bag: Eagles & Birdies Links
    Bugy: Clickgear 3.5

Home Club: Kooringal
    Handicap
    Game Golf

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

You've playing well for a while now?

As a regular topflite tour user, players with any semblance of ability can use anything that is suitable.

Ghouls!

No point in having a club collection if you don't use them, is my theory. Plus it can be used as an excuse for buying more toys!

Actually I have been doing the bag lotto thing with my Irons and Drivers now for a couple of months, I just haven't been recording it (other than in Game Golf) and completing reviews before.

Yesterday's Driver ended up being a Cleveland Classic 290 10.5* with Miyazaki C Kua 43 R shaft. The soft shaft enables me to work this driver both ways aggressively. Though hookability tends to stop me going too hard at it, so those sneaky longer drives don't tend to happen too often with it. A pretty easy club to find the middle with, and it is quite consistent distance wise. I only missed a couple of fairways with it yesterday.

The TM TP CBs barely got a run. I didn't pull an iron till the 4th hole and that was PW, and it was the 8th hole before another iron was used, and that was a bump and run shot. I only played 6 fullish iron shots all day, and half those were PW. So will need more rounds to reviews these.

Today's bag rotations in will be;

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 8.5* with Rombax 6X07

Hybrids: Cobra Pro #2 and #3

Irons: Titleist 714 CB with SF i95s

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Two Epon drivers? That's like having 10 Taylor mades
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Two Epon drivers? That's like having 10 Taylor mades
    Closer to 20 I think. Yet to find a TM Driver that I like.

Today's changes in;

Driver: Cleveland Classic Tour 10.5* Kusala Black.
    Hybrids: Adams a12 Pros #1, #2, #3.
    Irons: Cabra S3 Pro Combo

Dave, can you add tees to the lotto? So many to choose from

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    Dave, can you add tees to the lotto? So many to choose from
    You have been moved to the 55th spot on my list of those that could inherit my golf tee collection. Any more lip and you will go to the back up list! Lost one into the water on the 18th tee. The memorial will be next week.

PS - average score today, but love those Cobra Pros!

You have been moved to the 55th spot on my list of those that could inherit my golf tee collection. Any more lip and you will go to the back up list! Lost one into the water on the 18th tee. The memorial will be next week.

PS - average score today, but love those Cobra Pros!
    So harsh. You're the one that started this bag lotto and now you're going to half-arse it. Disappoint.

What about ball markers?

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

He was trying to steal the poker chip off BITS today, might have to watch him if you use $2 coins

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Quite a large bag of tees was seen today.

You're all so mean!

Tomorrow's kit;

Driver: Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ADDI 7x
    Hybrids: #1 Nickent 3DX 14*, #2 Jetspeed 19*, #3 Cobra Baffler Pro 20*.
    Irons: Mizuno MP 53/59 combos with S300s

I had my first equipment dud today. The Nickent 14* Hybrid just doesn't feel right. It has been problematic since it arrived from Dallas Golf. It came set up very short, 39" from memory, I have lengthened it to 42 3/4", which is probably a tad long. But it is the same length as an Adams Super Hybrid 15* I have, and it works OK. SW on the Nickent is only D3 even at the extra long set up, and that is with 3 strips of lead tape. On top of that the Reg shaft in it seems to be very soft. Whatever, I struggle to hit it even remotely consistently. I have a stiff shafted version coming. will see how it looks. The club itself looks good at set up, it just doesn't follow through to contact for me. The Adams a12 Pro 16* (42" and SW D6) is an absolute weapon in comparison, and easily substitutes for Driver on tighter/shorter holes, and 3 wood off the deck.

Driver was a mixed bag today, it seems to be a very low spin combo and I found it was running out and in to trouble a fair bit.

The Mizzy Irons were generally good, actually hit a few shots too long.

Latest rotations saw the Cleveland 588 Custom/Kusala Black into the bag for a trip to Bribie. I struggled with it all day, and ended up deferring to the #1 Hybrid off the tee for most of the day. It was a bit puzzling as the same driver had worked quite well for me previously with a Prolaunch Red. A check on the SW scales when I got home threw up a possible reason. The Kusala combo struggled to make it to D1, whereas the PL Red combo was D3.5. Somewhat strange as the 2 shafts are very similar weights etc, and are set up at the same playing length?.

I threw the 588 back in the bag today with the PL Red in it and it was working much better. So next step is to probably length the Kusala to get the heft up a bit.

Bribie island GC? I'm quietly in love with that joint at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    Bribie island GC? I'm quietly in love with that joint at the moment
    Pac Harbour am, Bribie pm.

Pac Harbour am, Bribie pm.

Today's bag was;

Driver: Cleveland Classic 290 with C Kua 43 Reg.

Hybrids: Adams A12 Pros #1, #2 & #3.

Irons: TM TP CBS, R300s

2nd round with the Cleveland 290 now, one at Nudgee, and today at Reddie Bay. I have missed 2 Fairways total so far, and neither were by very much!!! In fact I think I made par from both misses at Nudgee!

2nd round with the TMs, I hardly used them first time out (interestingly was the same round that I used the Cleveland 290 for the 1st time as well). Today they were very solid, I actually hit most shots at least pin high or longer.

Adams Hybrids were as solid as ever. The #1 was responsible for 6 of the 14 FIR today as well.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

What about rotating your putter collection.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

I'M Bagging the TM TP CBs at the moment to Dave and am reasonably impressed, Solid Feel and nice Turf interaction!
    Proud to use Circle"B" Sun Protection!

Thread Information