Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 62 FirstFirst ... 10 50 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 1538
    Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Do you think two drivers are having any impact with your scoring? I am assuming since you have been doing this for a while now, you would have some comparable data?
    G/L

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Yesterday was a Brisbane Vets round at Meadowbrook. A not forecast strong South Easterly kept thing cool, but we also seemed to be hitting into it most of the day. I started poorly but gradually righted the cart and managed to score most holes to tally 15/16 = 31 for the round. Which turned out to be a better than average score on the day. The day did not start well for most of us with the M1 a car park, most were late arriving only to find a long queue to the Proshop to pay and collect our cards. So no warm up or practice putts for most. The course was in the best condition I have seen it. The fairways are still fairly ordinary with no proper irrigation, but at least there was grass. And the greens were really good with a lush and consistent grass cover. They were a touch slow, but consistently so.

Driver 1: TM M6 10.5* with Fujikura ATMOS 5 Stiff
    Driver 2: Callaway Maverik Max 10.5* with Speeder 565 Reg
    Fairway: Adams Insight XTD Pro 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Adams A12 Pro 18*
    I
    rons: Ping i15 4 - PW
    Wedges Cleveland 50* & 56*
    Putter: STX 5.5 2 CS C-B 38"

I did not start well with Driver. The M6 was first up. I topped the first drive down the middle and bounced the second off a Sewer Lid sticking up in the fairway into the left hazard, for zero points for the first two holes. I settled a bit after that, but had little luck off the Tee. I did finish the nine well though with a boom drive pin high. I was slow and steady with the Mavrik. My drive down the 12th was a bottler, a little draw around the corner to be inside 80m for my 2nd. But as I struggled to get momentum, I started swinging hard and sprayed it bit over the last few holes. I don't think there is much between these two. My swing wasn't up to scratch, so it is hard to draw anything from the day other than they both had good potential if you put a decent swing on them.

The iron game was OK, a little better than recent efforts, but still a sprinkle of pulls and blocks. And the short game was good. But it had to be around the push up greens and all the lumps and bumps of the surrounds. The greens themselves were in great nick, but there were lot of subtle breaks that weren't obvious to the visiting golfer. Getting it close took some skill and luck. I putted solidly but made little outside 10 feet for an average 31 putt day.
    Last edited by Daves; 9th February 2021 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    Do you think two drivers are having any impact with your scoring? I am assuming since you have been doing this for a while now, you would have some comparable data?
    Good question, I get asked it a bit and have been meaning to look at what my stats say. The short answer is it is actually the opposite. My scoring average since I started carrying two drivers is 1.4 shots lower than average for the prior 12 months. And a full 2 shots lower than the prior six months. I think it has made me more aware of my swing and a bit more flexible in the way I swing and adapt to different clubs.The downside is I tend to get a bit mechanics transfixed at times (hence my current swing issues, I think).

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Thats a good question, and there is no way to quantify absolutely whether its a benefit or a disadvantage to your golf game. Even if the stats were analysed, it couldnt be certain what really improved your game. it might just be your biorythms lining up better

Whatever it is, after doing this for so long your current handicap takes two drivers into account, therefore compared to other golfers you are no better or worse off.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Thats a good question, and there is no way to quantify absolutely whether its a benefit or a disadvantage to your golf game. Even if the stats were analysed, it couldnt be certain what really improved your game. it might just be your biorythms lining up better

Whatever it is, after doing this for so long your current handicap takes two drivers into account, therefore compared to other golfers you are no better or worse off.
    Except I was comparing Gross scores, not Net, so handicap doesn't come into it.

Wednesday's round was a Midweek Medal event, stroke play off the blacks. And another round of frustrations and a tiny ray of light. I started poorly, doubled the first two holes, settled a bit but never got into any rhythm. All my shots gone on the first nine, I improved five shots coming home for a 47/42= 89/77 finish.

Driver 1: Mizuno ST180 10.5* with PL Blue Reg
    Driver 2: PXG 0811X 10.5* with PL Blue Stiff
    Fairway: Krank Formula 6 13* 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Krank Formula 6 #3 19*
    I
    rons: Ping S56 4 - PW
    Wedges Cleveland 50* & 56*
    Putter: Yes Stacey 12 CS C-B 38"

The forecast was for strong winds which did not eventuate. The drivers were selected because they are both low spin, low launchers. I started with the Mizuno and promptly topped my first drive. Then it was a case of the blocks left, mixed with some OK drives. I switched to the PXG and promptly pulled it into the trees right!. But I recovered to make par and then parred the 2nd in Reg. to get a mini roll on. And my drives for the rest of the nine were pretty solid and safely in the middle. The PXG won the day on consistency, but my poor swing spoilt any real comparison.

Club of the day was the Krank 3 Wood. I was a bit concerned as to whether I could launch it, but I was absolutely nutting it. It had a great low penetrating ball flight that was just right for the situations I used it for.

But I couldn't quite finish it off with my iron play. More blocks left me scrambling for pars from bad spots mostly. I made a few pars, but too many Bogeys and one double out of a fairway bunker, where I was stuck up under the lip after a weird 90* bounce off the fairway.

The short game was mixed. I putted solidly (30) but was rarely close enough to make up ground.

I was back out for an early morning round Friday. It was Millionaires golf, no one in sight in front or behind, our three finished in a touch over 3 hours. We had a scratch marker in the group, so there was some good golf to be watched close up. I started solidly for a change, stumbled, then got back on track for 16pts the front with a wipe. But the wheels fell off on the back nine with just 3 points through the first 5 holes, then parred my way home for another 10 and a 16 + 13 = 29pts finish.

Driver 1: Mizuno JPX- EZ 10.5* with PL Axis Blue 60 Reg
    Driver 2: Cobra F6 10.5* with PL Red Reg
    Fairway: Mizuno JPX-900 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Mizuno JPX Fli Hi #3 19*
    I
    rons: Titleist 716 AP2 4 - PW
    Wedges Titleist Vokey 50* & 56*
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 7M C-B 38"

Just to mix it up, I started this round by pulling my first 3 drives with the EZ. I recovered for par on the the 1st, but not the next two. I settled after that it hit fairways for the rest of the nine. The switch the the F6 was uneventful until a couple of late blocks tripped me up. I will blame trying to play catch up after a horrible start scoring wise on the nine. The wasn't a lot between these two drivers in results. The EZ launched surprisingly low though. The F6 felt the better of the two.

I started OK with the irons but then the blocks left started again and I lost all confidence. And I was blocking Hybrid as well! And the score started leaking badly.

Amongst this block fest, my short game was OK, at times very good. I made half a dozen good U & Ds, but need to make a half dozen more. My Putting was rock solid (29) to support it.

Yesterday's round was a single Stab/4BBB combo. I started poorly yet again with two doubles, and it was another here I go again moment! But I somehow settled and made a reasonable fist of the first nine with all 2 pointers to the turn for 15 points. The 2nd nine started a lot better and I finally started to put a few 3 pointers on the card. A slight stumble in the middle but I scrambled out of it and finished with 19 points for 34 total. Not a great score, but my best round in over a month. And I felt like i made some progress with correcting my swing. I still need to get to the range and hit a bucket to sort it fully, but it is basically slight set up and alignment issues I need to address.

Driver 1: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5* with PL Blue Stiff
    Driver 2: Taylormade M4 10.5* with Fujikura ATMOS 5 Reg
    Fairway: Taylormade M4 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Callaway Epic #3 19*
    I
    rons: Titleist 710 CBs 4 - PW
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 5 CB C-B 38"

I started with the Flash and hit 4 pulls in a row. Only one was a full pull, the others were just slight. Not enough to put me in trouble, but pulls nevertheless. I sorted my set up and hit some good drives after that to the turn. The fix helped me hit the M4 quite well. Only a couple of minor misses and I was getting good length. A much better driving effort overall, with the M4 sneaking in front on results.

I wasn't striking the CBs super well, but neither were the usual blocks or pulls evident to any great degree. Hence I hit more GIRs than I have been for a while. But my short game was a little off and my U & Ds performance wasn't my usual standard. Hence lots of 2 putts, though I kept it to 32 total with no 3 jabs. I was really solid with the Futura and managed the furry greens very well.
    Last edited by Daves; 14th February 2021 at 07:41 PM.

Yesterday I travelled over to the Northside to play Royal Wantima with the Brisbane Vets. The course was in great condition and a solid SE wind took the edge off the humidity to make it very pleasant conditions to waste a good walk. I started both nines poorly, but sort of recovered a bit to accumulate 16 + 16 = 32.

Driver 1: Taylormade 2017 M2 10.5* with PL Blue Reg
    Driver 2: Honma TW747 460 9.5* with Honma Vizard 60 Reg
    Fairway: Honma TW747 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Taylormade 2017 M2 19*
    I
    rons: Cleveland 588CBs 4 - PW

I started with the M2 and it took me a couple of holes to get my swing and aim corrected. But after that it went well. M2s (either version) are very easy to hit and super friendly, I find, ditto the M4s. And they all look great at address imo. I snotted a couple extra long on the day. Not sure if it was the wind or my doing? The switch to the Honma was smooth. I really like this Driver, it looks and feels very nice. Whilst I wasn't quite as long with it at its best, I think it was slightly longer on the average hit. Line ball between these two. I would be happy with either in the bag for a round.

I was still somewhat inconsistent with my irons, just less so. My blocks were less so, but still tended to cost me. And of course when I allowed for them, I pulled it right! I did middle to odd one and hit a good few greens. Just not close enough for birdie chances.

The short game was off and I did not make my usual number of U & Ds. My striking was generally poor. Not sure why? The Putter however was very solid (31) and I made everything I should have. The greens were lush and a touch slow, so it took work to get the ball to the hole most times. I really like this STX Putter, it is quickly moving towards the top of my favorites list.

Most of last week's golf got washed out, so yesterday was my first round since my last Vet's round. The Vets were at Bribie Island this time and the course was in great condition. The greens were the best we had played on this year. And the rough was lush and had teeth. I wasn't good off the tee early but somehow managed to scramble my way through the back nine for 19 points. With only had a few shots of handicap on the front nine, I played solidly but without luck for 17 home, 36pts total.

Driver 1: Titleist 913 D3 9.5* with Nunchuk
    Driver 2: Titleist 917 D2 10.5* with PL Blue Reg
    Fairway: Titlesit 917 F2 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Titleist 915Hd 20.5*
    I
    rons: Titleist 714 CBs 4 - PW
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Golo 5 Dual Balance 38"

I started with the 913, but I was swinging poorly early and did not get the best out of it. I did hit one very good drive with it, but it was mostly blocks or pulls. I was much better with the 917, though the odd pull still snuck in. Both were solid for distance when I managed to put a good swing on them. In the end the 917 won the day on consistency. Though I was a touch longer with the 913 when I caught it right.

I managed some improvement with my iron striking and hit a good number of greens in reg. And the 4i got plenty of use getting me back in play off the poor drives.

My short game was good, but I did not manage to convert enough putts. I putted very solidly though (32) , but I made nothing outside 10 feet.

Yesterday I played the usual mid week Stableford comp on a very sodden course. Lies were Preferred and the Bunkers were out. I was steady from the start, but did not make a 3 pointer till the 13th. 15pts out, 17 back in for 32 total

Driver 1: Cobra F8 10.5* with Aldila NV2 KXV 60S
    Driver 2: Cobra Fly Z 10.5* with Aldila Rogue MSI 95 Stiff
    Fairway: Cobra F8 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Cobra F8 #3 19*
    I
    rons: Cobra F8 4 - PW
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 7M C-B 38"

I started with the F8, but struggled a bit with it. I wasn't spraying it around, in fact I hit most fairways, but my strikes were nearly all out of the bottom of the face. Not a good strike position for Cobra Drivers historically. The wet course plus heavy humid air made distance a challenge. I settled in straight away with the Fly Z on the back nine and hit all but one fairway on the home route. The Fly Z won the day on consistency and was just as long if not longer on most drives.

I was solid with the F8 irons and hit a reasonable number of greens, but converted nothing unfortunately.

The short game was mixed. The wet conditions made chip and run approaches a lottery. But I did bounce 3 chips off the flagsticks, none went in unfortunately. The rain seemed to have packed down the greens, as they were hard and bouncy. Which was strange because they were also shaggy, slow and grainy, and very two paced. Putting ended up being the difference. I made nothing of any length, and 3 putted a few when the long approach putts fell well short on the slower greens.

Played a quick early round in the slop last Friday. I played pretty solidly without really ever getting out of 2nd gear. The finally tally was 18/17 = 35 points with a Birdie on the last to finish in style.

Driver 1: Cobra King LD F Speed F 9* with Aldila NVS 55 Stiff
    Driver 2: Cobra Bio Cell+ 10.5* with PL Red Reg
    Fairway: Cobra F Speed LD 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Cobra Baffler Pro 18*
    I
    rons: Cobra Fly Z Pro Combo 4 - PW
    Putter: Lajosi Custom CS Mallet 35"

The F Speed was very straight and I only missed one fairway with it. Not particularly long, but the condition were very wet, with no run at all. The Bio Cell+ seemed to be longer but not as forgiving. I was hitting them out of the bottom of the face for a while, which did not help.

The Fly Zs were solid but the S300 shafts give me a level of feel harshness I don't get in my other combo sets. They were very straight, but I was blocking shots straight left though.

The short game was pretty solid and I putted very well with the Lajosi (2. Normally, I would lengthen my putters and counter balance them, but the Lajosi looks right at 35", feels great and I can't fault the results with it.

Last Saturday we played the usual Single Stab at Reddie Bay in very soggy conditions. It was more of the same for me, solid but I could not put the scores on the board. In the end I tallied 17/15 =32pts.

Driver 1: Taylormade AeroBurner 12* with Matrix Ozik 50 Reg
    Driver 2: Callaway XR16 10.5* with PL Blue Reg
    Fairway: TM AeroBurner 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Callaway XR Pro 18*
    I
    rons: Taylormade RSi2 4 - PW
    Putter: Taylormade Spider Mallet 74 CS C-B 38"

I started with the AeroBurner and it was very straight. There was no run at all, so distance wasn't long, but it was pretty solid in the circumstances. I hit the first 4 fairways easily, but stumbled toward the end of the nine trying to hit it harder/further. Frustration in not scoring derailed me. I switched to the XR16 at the turn and topped the first Drive. Steadied, then topped another!. When I hit it well, It was very solid and sneaky long on occasion. In the end I would give the points to the AeroBurner, but the XR16 had potential once you adjusted to it. My frustrated chops didn't help!

The RSi2 were solid. They have the Program Shafts and feel very good. The wet conditions didn't make it easy and this flowed into the short game. The approaches were mostly sodden, but the greens had packed down and were bouncy. It was usually a tough choice; did you try and bump and run through the muck, or flt one to the green hope it stopped?. I putted solidly to back it up (29), but not often enough in the end.

On Monday the Brisbane Vets played Redcliffe. The course was in great condition and the greens were immaculate, but very grainy. I started solidly and had a good score going, but buckled over the last 4 trying to hit big drives. Lost a ball on one, and missed fairways both sides with two others. In the end I accumulated 17/16 = 33 points.

Driver 1: Cobra ZL 10.5* with PL Blue Reg
    Driver 2: Cobra AMP Fujikura Fuel 57 Reg
    Fairway: Cobra S9-13 Wood
    Hybrid: Cobra Max #3 19*
    I
    rons: Cobra AMP 4 - PW

I started with the ZL and hit a couple of poor drives to start. They were coming out of the bottom of the face, an issue I had been battling in recent rounds. I teed the ball lower and it seemed to fix it. I hit some pretty good drives after that, till the final few holes. The AMP was also solid and I was getting similar length out of both. My bad drives were a two blocks left, followed by a big pull right. My final drive was probably my best, though still slightly pully.There wasn't much between these two. they performed pretty well when I swung them well.

I was pretty happy with the AMPs. I hit them well and was mostly middling them. I hit a good few GIRs and was mostly there abouts.

The short game was a bit mixed. Deep rough right up to the fringes tested me at times. But it was putting that let me down the most. I hit a few really good putts, including a 45ft bomb. But I also had 4 x 3 jabs. The heavy grain made the greens very tricky. And the well covered greens and freshly cut holes made it hard to pick at times.

Wednesday's round got washed out so my next round was an early one on Friday at Reddie Bay. It was another mixed round for me. It was a grind from the start. I wasn't swing that well, but was somehow scoring on each hole. I gradually started hit them better, but could not overcome the slow scraggy greens. The final score was a very familiar 15/17 = 32. No wipes though, but 5 one pointers, and only one 3 that took 13 holes to achieve.

Driver 1: Ping i15 9.5* with MR JavlnFX M6 Stiff
    Driver 2: Ping G400 LST 10* with Ping Tour 65 Reg
    Fairway: Ping i15 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Ping G400 #3 19*
    I
    rons: Ping i20 4 - PW
    Putter: Ping G5i Craz-E CS C-B 38"

I started with the i15 and immediately topped my first drive. I slow got control after that but never quite got in sync with it. The combo of lower loft and lower launch shaft probably aren't an ideal match for me, as I already launch it relatively low. But I could see the potential in the club. Perhaps a higher launching shaft might help?. I felt more comfortable with the G400 and got better results, though I don't think it was any longer. The conditions were still damp and there was no run.

The i20s were solid, but my striking was a little off. I hit my GIR average and was there about most of the time, but I wasn't hitting the middle that often.

I struggled around and on the greens. Soggy approaches and bouncy greens made short shots more difficult. My proximity wasn't up to my usual. And the greens were very slow and scraggy. I putted solidly but made nothing (31)

Last edited by Daves; 9th March 2021 at 09:06 AM.

And back out on Saturday for a Monthly Medal round. After a good Drive down the first, it all went to mud. Pulls, tops and blocks for the first half dozen holes to be nine over and a long way back. I settled slowly and swung it a bit better, but the block and pulls continued till the end. My final score was 47/45 = 92 Nett 79.

Driver 1: Taylormade SIM Max D 105* with Fujikura ATMOS 5 Reg
    Driver 2: Taylormade M6 10.5* with Fujikura ATMOS 5 Stiff
    Fairway: Taylormade M6 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Taylormade M6 #3 19*
    I
    rons: Taylormade 2017 M2 4 - PW
    Putter: Taylormade Spider Ghost Mallet C-B 38"

The SIM arrived late last week and I was keen to give it a run. The first Drive with it was was a beauty, but my swing went to shite after that. I wasn't really any better with the M6. I swung them poorly and didn't really perceive any significant differences between them. They seemed to be about the same length wise, though both showed some long potential with my better struck Drives, which were noticeably longer than recent efforts with other Drivers. The damp course makes getting distance a tough ask at present.

I hit the M2s quite well, but they had a huge workload. Most of my bad drives ended up dead and were chips outs, sometimes not even that.

My short game striking was OK, but I just could not get them close enough to make more putts. I struggled with the Putter (35), our greens just aren't up to scratch at the moment. or they weren't, they got chopped up for Renos this week. Hopefully they will come back to their old quality this time.

And to bring it up to date, yesterday the Vets played at Gainsborough Greens. The course was in pretty good nick, though there was the odd bare patch from stagnant water laying around. It is basically reclaimed marsh country (there are still cane fields next door), so to be expected. The Green were pure. The best we have played on in recent times. I was horrible off the tee, but somehow managed to tally a reasonable score 19/14 = 33 points with 3 wipes.

Driver 1: Ping 410 Plus 10.5* with Alta CB Red 55 Stiff
    Driver 2: Ping G25 9.5*with PL Red Stiff
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Gold 18*
    I
    rons: Adams A4 Forged 5 - PW, Taylormade M4 4i

My Driver swing was horrible. It was the first time in a while that I have managed less than 50% FIR. Tops, pulls, and big blocks with no consistency between any of them. It made it very hard to aim!, not knowing what the next one would be.

My iron play was much better. I was striking them generally pretty solidly and I had a lot of confidence in the A4s. This enabled me to make some amazing saves, from horrible tee shots.

My short game was hot for most of the round and my putting was in the zone ( 28 ). Anything inside 20 odd feet was a fair chance, and I lipped out a few longer ones as well. The greens were pure and had very little grain to contend with. You just had to get it rolling towards the hole.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

I only just noticed the Yururi wedges are out of the bag this year. Did you wear the grooves out?

Quote Originally Posted by aussieashley View Post
    I only just noticed the Yururi wedges are out of the bag this year. Did you wear the grooves out?
    Nope, I just decided to have a change and to perhaps get a bit more versatile with them. I have lots of wedges, but need to do some work on them to bring more into the rotations. In recent rounds I have used the SW perhaps a couple of times each round. But I can't remember the last time I used the GW.

Saturday's round was originally listed as an Irish Stableford due to freshly renovated greens, but was changed late to a normal Stableford. Wednesday's round had been a Gentsome and I wasn't expecting the Saturday round to be a counter. So a late bag update saw the following in play;

Driver 1: Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5* with Fujikura Speeder 565 Reg
    Driver 2: Taylormade SIM Max D 10.5* with Fujikura ATMOS 5 Reg
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Gold 18*
    I
    rons: Taylormade RSi2 4i - PW
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Golo & Dual Balance 38"

The conditions were very soggy, the greens had been lightly cored, and the rough was wet and long. So adjustments had to be made on my course management. I started really solidly and kept it going for much of the round to tally 18/19 = 37 points. The greens were the biggest limitation, so many lipouts!

I started with the Mavrik and it was very solid. I was hitting it pretty much where I aimed and keeping it in play. There was absolutely no run, so it was all about placement. And the Mavrik made it pretty easy, being so friendly and easy to aim. The switch to the SIM came with a run of pulls right. Draw bias and a closed face (though not overly) made it hard to aim at first. The results weren't terrible, but it was making it harder to score from poor positions. So I started setting up with the face well open and I was back on track. It didn't always work and it wasn't as easy to hit as the Mavrik, but it was effective and felt pretty good as well. Results were similar, but the Mavrik took the points on easy of use. The SIM seemed to have a bit more in reserve, if you could control it.

I was very solid with my irons and hit a well above average GIR stat. The challenge came with the short game and trying to putt on the cored greens. Wet approaches meant the usual bump and run game was a lottery. Carrying the ball to the green was the alternative, but variable bounces off the sand and core holes made it less than reliable as well. Somehow I kept it going and made the putts I needed to. The Golo 7 is a very heavily weighted putter, that helps get the ball to the hole. It didn't always work (2 x 3 jabbs), but it was still effective in the conditions to keep it to 32 putts overall.

Yesterday was the Monday Vets' round, this time at Pacific. After some heavy rain overnight and in the prior week, it was a pretty soggy track. To add to the "fun", the greens were freshly heavily cored. I started poorly scoring wise, two wipes in the first 3, but then settled and was solid but for one more wipe to the end. The final score 14/18 = 32 with 3 wipes on the front.

Driver 1: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5* with PL Blue Stiff
    Driver 2: Titleist TS3 10.5* with MR Kuro Kage Black Reg
    Fairway: Callaway Epic 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Titleist 915Hd #3 20.5*
    I
    rons: Cobra Forged TEC Black 4i - PW

I started with the Epic Flash and I was hitting it pretty well. It wasn't my driving that was the problem, it was the conditions. There was zero run, so distance was restricted. My GIR result was well above average, so again Driving wasn't the issue. The swap to the TS3 took some time to settle. But once it did, I was hitting them pretty solidly. Again no great distance, but solid and in play and I finished with my Drive of the day. Points to the Flash for easy of use, but the TS3 felt like it had more potential.

I was very solid with my irons. I had a high GIR ratio and the misses were mostly very close. It was the short game when I struggled, or on the greens to be precise. Approach shots and Chips were a lottery, one would stop where you landed it, the next would run the length of the green, depending on the spot it landed on. And putting was just as big a lottery. There was no warning of cored greens prior and I did not think to pack a heavy putter in case. It was almost impossible to get the ball rolling consistently, and even if you did it got bumped off line and speed any way. Add lots of lipouts for the whole group and it was just a cluster on the greens. I kept it to 37, but my colleagues had a lot more.

Saturday was my first round in nearly a fortnight. And will now probably be my only one before next Saturday (or later depending how long the lockdown goes). I started poorly off the tee, both went right, a big pull and a toey over turned draw. Then I settled, but scoring was struggle in the damp conditions and on the cored greens. I managed 15 points the front, started the back well, but then faded for another 14, 29 total.

Driver 1: Cobra F Max 10.5* with Cobra Superlite 50 Reg
    Driver 2: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 10.5* with Miyazaki C Kua 5S
    Fairway: Cleveland F Max 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Cobra Max #3 19*
    I
    rons: Adams V4 Forged 5 - PW, Adams A4 22* Hybrid
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Golo & Dual Balance 38"

I chose both drivers to suit the wet conditions. I figured there was going to be no run, so as much carry in the air was the way to go, and that proved to be a good decision. Once I got the rust out of my swing I started to hit both very well for much of the round. But the big pulls did sneak in again, when I slowed it down a bit and then started steering it!. I did finish well though. Both of these drivers are pretty effective fairway hitters and are mostly point and shoot.I did struggle a bit trying to do more with them, when I really didn't need to. Both were solidly long in the conditions and there wasn't much between them. The Cleveland is a little more workable, the Cobra very straight if you point and shoot.

I was striking my irons OK, but the pulls were sneaking in at times. The rough was savage, so the pulls were mostly costly mistakes. I did hit a reasonable number of greens.

But the short game was mixed 1) due to the thick rough 2) wet approaches and 3) bumpy greens. One chip would land and stop the next would take off like it had hit concrete. I still managed to hit a couple dead, but it was a lottery most of the time. Ditto the putting. The green speeds varied and it only took one small bump to knock you off line. Still, I putted solidly with my Heavy Putter and kept it to 32 jabs which was OK in the conditions.

It has been a while since I did an update or report. It rained for a couple of weeks and I did not get back onto a course till late April. And that was on a flooded Ashgrove where I accumulated a total of 22 points in the slop. Then the Game Golf data transfer App went went missing in action for about 6 weeks and I had no way of reviewing my rounds other than memory. It is back now and I have upload, reviewed, corrected and saved some 20 rounds I had accumulated (The Live belt unit will hold at least 14 rounds I discovered, probably closer to 20 in a push).

In those rounds I had the low mentioned above of 22 points, won two comps with 38 points and 43 points respectively. And lots of in between scores (see GL link). I have dropped from 13.3 GA to 10.5 and am off the soft anchor. I have continued to rotate the bag, but rounds being a haze, it is hard to remember anything significant to report. Most of the rounds were on wet or soft courses, with little run. Yesterday at Nudgee was the first time we had played with some runout in a while. But as it as was temporary composite course I have no meaningful data to review.

I will look to start posting updates again now I have Game Golf etc sorted.

Yesterday was a Single Stab at Reddie Bay. It was a composite course. Temporary Hole 3B a 155m par 3 was in play (probably our best hole, shame it isn't always in play). I wasn't hitting driver well early, but gradually got back in control. It was a pretty solid round strike wise, but nothing dropped on the greens. End result 16/17 = 33pts

Driver 1: PXG 0811X 10.5* with PL Blue Stiff
    Driver 2: Callaway Razr Fit 9.5* with PL Blue Stiff
    Fairway: Lynx Parrallax 3 Wood
    Hybrid: PXG 0371 #3 19*
    I
    rons: Adams A4 Forged 5 - PW, Cobra S3 4i
    Putter: Taylormade Rossi Monte Carlo 7 CS CB 38"

I was slapping the Driver (PXG) early. I slowly got it back on track and was hitting it well by the end of the nine. I changed to the Razr Fit at the turn and hit it well except for one bad pull. It was very solid and at least matched the PXG, which is one of my longer drivers. I have an Xtreme version as well and it will get another run shortly. Both hold up very well to modern drivers and are amongst my most consistent longest.

The Lynx 3 wood is earning a place in my favorite list. Looks great and is so easy to hit. Ditto the PXG Hybrid, it is a dart hitter. I have a PXG 3 Wood on its was to complete to set.

I have two sets of A4, these have Matrix Studio Reg shafts, that launch high. Which I don't mind at all when there is little breeze, like yesterday. Love these irons, super value and hold up well. I should also mention the Cobra S3 4i, awesome club for its age. It is my go to club from the rough and was lazer straight when I needed it.

I putted solidly but never quite got the pace. Bunted a few through the break, had some lipouts and burned the edge too many times.
    Last edited by Daves; 3rd June 2021 at 07:52 AM.

Yesterday was Monthly Medal round off the Blacks. I started solidly and kept it going pretty well, but never quite got into the top couple of gears. The finally tally was 43/43 = 86/ Nett 76

Driver 1: Cobra King Ltd 10.5* with PL Blue Reg
    Driver 2: TaylorMade M4 Tour 9.5* with Fujikura Speeder 77 TP Stiff
    Fairway: Cobra King Ltd 3 Wood
    Hybrid: TaylorMade M4 #3 19*
    I
    rons: Adams A4 Forged Steel 5 - PW, TM Burner 2.0 4i
    Putter: Seemore Si3 CS CB 38"

It was forecast to blow a bit, 20+ knots from the south, but it never eventuated. There would have been a lot of pissed off boaties, because the Bay was a pond. Condition were glorious and the course was now relatively dry.

I started with the M4 and hit it OK, albeit a bit slappy early. Other than one purposely steered up the left on the first, I hit every fairway on the front, so was pretty solid. Nothing real long, but well controlled and safe. Which is why I like this Driver.

The Cobra was noticeably longer and also pretty straight, I hit all 7 FIR on the return trip. The LTD had a quite different sound and feel, and I don't mind it at all.

I bagged the lower flight Steel shafted A4 Forged set this time, to see how different the flight is between the SL S300s and the Matrix Studio s I used last round. The SLs are noticeably lower launching, though not super low in an overall context. In fact they pretty versatile really. You could launch a bit lower or higher as needed. And the A4s are a lovely iron to use. Pretty of help without that really chunky look and great feel.

My short game was solid but never quite at its peak. I made some good up and downs but never quite got the pace of the greens. Lot of putts left in the jaws and I burned plenty of edges as well. 32 total and no 3 Jabs.

I have a couple of interesting new Putters on the way. An Acer i-Sight Santa Rosa Heavy CS and a Probe 20/10 N CS. Looking forward to review these quite different styles of Putter at opportunity.

Thread Information