Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 62 FirstFirst ... 9 49 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 1538
    Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Yesterday I played Mt. Warren Park with the Vets. The course improvements continue there at a fair pace. The greens were the best I have seen them and probably the best we have played on this year. Volunteers? were weeding the green edges as well played and there seemed to be plenty of activity around the course. The fairway still need a bit fair of work, but are improved.

I had really mixed round. I drove the ball very well, but got bent over on a couple of holes due to some poor lies, unfamiliarity and impatience. We spent a lot of time looking for balls in the trees (not mine), and I had long waits between shots at times. Which really stuffs with your tempo, I find. I also hit power lines twice in the round with cracking shots, but they are auto reloads so no damage done in the end.

Final score was 17/10 with 4 wipes for 27 points off 9.

Driver 1: Cobra F Max (non offset) 10.5* with Superlite 50 Reg
    Driver 2: Cobra Max Offset 10.5* with Matrix White Tie 55g Stiff
    Fairway: Cobra F Max Offset 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Cobra Max #3 19*
    I
    rons: Cobra F8 4 - PW
    Wedges Yururi 53* & 57*
    Putter: Nike Ignite 4 CS C-B 38"

These two Cobra Drivers are very similar in design and both are fairway finders. I missed only two all day, one a quick transition block left, and the other a horrible bounce up hill on a drive that looked the perfect line off the tee. Both Drivers look a little closed and have a touch of offset, the Max more so as it is the Offset model. Neither really bothered me, and I had no issue with them going right on me. I found I was able to get serious distance as I got familiar with each during the round. The Max felt the best, probably due the the stiff heavier shaft. But I had no issue with the F Max and it was probably the longer when I utilised the whip in the shaft well. I would highly recommend either Driver for anyone starting out, or if you have trouble finding and staying on fairways. Both can still be bought new quite cheaply.

My iron play was a little mixed. I hit plenty of greens, but also hit some pretty ordinary shots at times.

The F Max 3 wood was a real weapon. It got me close for two birdies on a couple of the par fives. Again a cheap 3 wood for those that need help.

My sort game was OK and I putted well (30), no 3 jabs.

I played in our Medal of Medals round yesterday, in the heat at Redland Bay. There was a stiff Northerly blowing that took the edge off to a degree. I tried to walk in the shade where I could, but ended up spending more time than I had planned there, looking for my playing partners balls! I played pretty solid without luck on the scoring front to finish with 42/41 for a Net 73.

Driver 1: Wilson Staff D7 10.5* with UST Helium 45g Reg
    Driver 2: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 10.5* with Miyazaki c Kua 5S
    Fairway: Cleveland Launcher HB 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Cleveland Launcher HB #3 19*
    I
    rons: Cobra Forged TEC Steel 5 - PW, Titleist U510 4i
    Wedges Yururi 53* & 57*
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Golo Select CB C-B 38"

Two high launch drivers in windy conditions was not necessarily the best bag selections, but I managed them pretty well. There was a not a lot between them. I felt a tad more comfortable with the Cleveland and did not miss a fairway with it. I was also solid with the Wilson, my misses were only minor blocks left. The super light Helium shaft is a bit of a noodle, so timing comes into it to a degree with the D7. I did not hit either right all day. Which is sort of counter to their nature. Distance wise, I was longer on average with the Cleveland, but the longest for each was only a metre different.

I was solid with the TECS without really getting on top of them. I was getting extra distance a times when I did not need it! And they were a little clicky at times on chip shots.

My short game was solid most of the time. But I did struggle with distance control, which is usually a strength. My putting was very solid (27), but I still had 5 lipouts, so it could have been so much better with a touch of luck.
    Last edited by Daves; 7th December 2020 at 09:54 AM.

Yesterday I played in our end of Year Mug of Mugs stroke round. I hit the ball OK from the start, but scored very poorly on the front nine to turn in 48. I brought it home OK though for a 41 finish and 89/79 nett result. Not great, but I was happy how I finished. I was very slightly off with my ball striking and it took me till half way through the back nine to twig to what it was. Just a subtle move in the takeaway that helps me with my striking timing and accuracy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TINI...Mwxi7&index=17

Driver 1: Callaway BB 816 DDB 9* with Prolaunch Red Stiff
    Driver 2: Cobra BB Alpha 815 10.5* with Fubuki ZT60 Reg
    Fairway: Callaway FTiz 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Callaway Alpha 815 #2 18*
    I
    rons: Callaway X Forged 2013 4 - PW
    Wedges Yururi 53* & 57*
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 7M C-B 38"

Both Big Berthas went OK. I had not bagged either for a few years. They are similar at address and feel much the same. The added loft on the 815 helped a little, I think. I tend to hit a low ball, so some extra launch often helps. There wasn't a lot between them. They were both competitive with modern drivers on distance and were reasonably forgiving on lesser strikes. The 815 took the points for a tad extra forgiveness, and flight. And it was a touch longer when I found the screws.

My iron striking was a little off for the reason mentioned . I was getting a little harsh feedback that told me my timing was off slightly. It made a noticeable difference when I "fixed" the issue. And it filtered into my short game. Not quite clean contact and damp conditions saw a lot of chips stop short. I putted OK, but the greens had been de-thatched and we all struggled with distance. And I had a putt popped back out of the hole off the Ball Lifter arm on the ninth. It happened to the group another two times in the round. The back nine was much better with the short stick as I started to hit them closer and got a feel for the greens. Ironically, the best green of the day is usually our worse due to shade and tree root issues. But they hadn't de-thatched it so it rolled much truer. The de- thatching is only a short term issue though . A bit of sand and time and the greens will be smick again in no time.

Three other "Equipment issues to note from yesterday;

1. The oldest of my current Game Golf Belt units will no longer last a full round on the battery. It is the first time i have had a battery issue. Normally the belt clip breaks first.

2. The Zip Navigator did a yet another back flip into a bunker, when it was supposedly turned off via the remote and parked on the edge of the green. I have lost count for the number of times it has done this or similar. You can not trust the remote.

3. You have to remember to recharge the Garmin Z82 between rounds! I don't use it a lot on my home course and had lost track o when I had charged it. It is not something you have to think about with most Rangefinders that have disposable batteries. It went into battery save mode half way through the round and kept turning off. So it was a wait while it started it up again when I needed it.

Last edited by Daves; 10th December 2020 at 09:42 AM.

With all the rain, yesterday was my first chance to have a hit in a week. It was a usual single Stab at Reddie Bay. I was super solid off the tee and very steady in my scoring. In the end I had 9 pars and 9 bogeys for 36 points (17/19).

Driver 1: Cleveland CG Black Custom 10.5* with Bassara 50g Reg
    Driver 2: Cleveland 588 Custom with PL Red Stiff
    Fairway: Cleveland CG Black 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Cleveland CG Black #3 19*
    I
    rons: Cleveland 588TT 4 - PW
    Wedges Yururi 53* & 57*
    Putter: Cleveland Smart Square Mallet C-B 38"

I missed only one fairway all day. We started on the 10th and I used the CG Black first. It was so easy to swing and everything was coming out of the middle. I swapped to the 588 Custom and hit lots more, but the 588 did not feel nearly as good. I still got pretty good results, but I just never felt as in control and the feel was not as good. The CG Black was the winner and also had the most potential. I found it easy to shape and flight, and I was able sneak a few out there when I step on it a bit. Super light head and shaft won't suit everyone, but it works for my 95mph swing. I have quite a few of the bonded versions in the shed, so they should get a run sometime soon.

The 588TTs were super solid. They always feel good and I was on with them most of the day.

My short game was solid, but the damp conditions meant variable bounces and lots of wet patches to pull chips up dead. I putted well too, but made little over 10 feet. The greens looked terrific but were touch slow, understandable in the humid conditions.

On Friday we played in the Black Marker Challenge at Redland Bay. It was a bit a of a struggle all the way. The greens were very slow and grainy, and the wet surrounds were giving variable bounces. The Ferret bounced his first 3 putts off the flag sticks and went walkabout, which kept us amused. I was hitting the ball OK, and was actually pretty solid off the Tee, but I could not score. Not a single 3 pointer all day, but no wipes either for 14/14 = 28 points

Driver 1: Ping G Series SFT 12* with Ping TFC419D Blue Reg
    Driver 2: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* with Alta Red C-B 55 Stiff
    Fairway: Ping G Series 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Ping G400 #3 19*
    I
    rons: Ping G10 4 - PW
    Wedges Yururi 53* & 57*
    Putter: STX 5.5 2 CS C-B 38"

I started with the G Series and hit it OK, but never quite felt like I was in control.I was a bit more solid with the Plus on the homeward nine and only missed one fairway. Both were solid without being wow. The 410 plus won the day and was also the longer of the two.

I was overdue to bag the G10s and thought the wide soles would work well in the damp conditions, which they did. They are super forgiving but just lack any real feel or feedback. I struggle with distance control in the short game, 1) because of the damp conditions but 2) I had no feel off the face of the irons.

As mentioned, the greens confounded us. They were so slow, it was like putting through treacle. And the harder you hit the putts the more they bounced and dug in. I don't think they had been mown (the temp 18th certainly hadn't). They were totally different on Saturday (see my next round report), much faster and had little grain. Ditto the surrounds and fairways, though I could understand them not being mown due to the damp conditions and playing catch up on the mowing.

I was back out yesterday for the usual Saturday Single Stableford. I was very solid off the tee, but could not take a trick early on the front nine and finished with 12 points and my first wipe in four rounds. I started to get a little roll on on the back nine. But for double on the last, from the middle of the fairway, I would have played to handicap. The final tally was 17 /12 = 29. The greens were much better, but it took me a while to re-adjust to their speed.

Driver 1: Cleveland CG Black 10.5* with Bassara 45g Stiff
    Driver 2: Cleveland CG Black 10.5* with Bassara 45g Reg
    Fairway: Cleveland Black 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Cleveland CG Black #3 19*
    I
    rons: Cleveland CG Black 4 - PW
    Wedges Yururi 53* & 57*
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Golo 5 CB Dual Balance 38"

This was the battle of the super light Clevelands. I was surprised how different they felt, with the shaft flex being the only difference between them. My first drive with each was poor ( A pull and push respectively). But I settled down after that and hit most of the fairways. I felt like I could control and shape the Reg Driver better and my results showed that. Both were pretty solid and I was able to put them thereabout. The Reg Driver was noticeably longer on the day.

Th CG irons, like G10s, had plenty of Sole for damp turf interaction. But again I noticed a lack of feel off the face. It did not seem as obvious as it was with the Pings, but it was noticeable. The fairways, approaches and surrounds had all been mowed, but there were still wet patches to be navigated. My scrambling was a little bit better according to my stats, but still well short of my normal standard.

I putted well on the faster greens, but had a lot of lipouts on the front nine. I gradually adjusted and the putts started to drop on the homeward run for 29 total (16/13).

Yesterday we played out last Vets round for the year at Brisbane GC. It was hot and steamy and an extra long walk due to 3 temp holes being in play. I struggled most of the day. I was blocking Driver on the first nine and pulling everything on the back nine. It was my worst round in a while, 14/11 = 25 points, 11 off the pace as 36 won the day.

Driver 1: Taylormade M2 10.5* with Fujikura Pro 50 Reg
    Driver 2: Taylormade M6 10.5* with Fujikura ATMOS 5 Stiff
    Fairway: Taylormade M6 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Taylormade M6 #3 19*
    I
    rons: Taylormade RSi2 4 - PW
    Wedges Yururi 53* & 57*

As mentioned I was in trouble off the tee. I was blocking the M2 left, and without any consistency. Sometimes I hit fairway, sometimes I went way left. I switched to the M6 on the 2nd nine and was into straight pulls right. I was hitting them very solidly, so they were going a long way, but more often than not that meant further into trouble. Then I hit a straight one on 15, well a little draw actually, and hit it so far I ended up in the water just short of the green! I aimed way left on the 18th to take into account the pull and you guessed it, I hit it straight to where I was aimed. I still managed to lipout my par putt, so went my day!

I was all over the place with my irons shots. I hit my 6i tee shot to 6 feet on the 7th for an easy birdie, and my 9i almost off the planet right to wipe the short 21st temp hole.

My short game was very mixed. I had the pulls with my chips shots too, but I was solid closer to the green. I putted very solidly ( 28 ) with little luck. I was happy to be putting well with the STX again after Friday's slow greens damaged my confidence. Love this putter, so compact but still easy to use and effective.

Yesterday was the usual single Stab event at Reddie Bay. It was the battle of the My Golf Spy top Drivers and they both went pretty well. I only missed two fairways all day and both misses were marginal. I was very solid right though my game and there was barely any sign of the blocks and pulls that I endured on Monday. By the end I tallied 16/19 = 35 points.

Driver 1: Taylormade M1 10.5* with Miyazaki Kusula 61S
    Driver 2: Srixon Z565 with Miyazaki JDL Tour 5S
    Fairway: Lynx Parallax 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Lynx Parallax #3 19*
    I
    rons: Srixon Z765 4 - PW
    Wedges Yururi 53* & 57*
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Golo Select CB C-B 38"

I started with the M1 and it went very well. I felt very comfortable with it right from the first drive. It was easy to shape and flight and I was putting the ball where I wanted. Distance was very solid. I changed to the Srixon at the turn and it was also very good. I would slightly favour the M1 for easy of use, but the Z565 was noticeably longer, which surprised me little.

I hit the Z765s very well, and managed to achieve well above my average GIR stats. I was hitting them long too, sometimes too long. This followed through to the short game were I was middling them and going a little long more often than. I gradually adjusted but the high GIR and long chips meant I had lots of long first putts. For example I made par from the back of 16th after being 30m long with my tee shot. My distance control was zeroed in and I made some great 2 putts. Only one 3 putt, and it was from a misread of the 2nd putt. But there were lots of two putts and a only a couple of one putts in the round. Probably the best I have putted in a month, yet I took 6 putts more than my average just because I hit more greens and had less chips etc.

Saturday was my likely penultimate round for the year, the usual single stab at Redland Bay. I started very well, but tripped and fell and never quite recovered. I struggled for tempo and was hitting them very inconsistently. I lipped out a birdie putt on the 1st, after hitting the green in reg, a not very usual start. Stumbled for a double after a good drive on the 2nd. Parred the 3rd in reg. then I shanked my tee shot on the 4th, but still managed to make bogey after lipping out the par putt. And so it went; wipes from the middle of the fairway followed by a uneventful regulation par. I was all over the place. And the usual, the harder I tried the worse I got rang true. A very frustrating round that contained a lot of very good shots mixed with some shockers. My tally at the end was a miserable 26pts (14/12) with 3 wipes.

Driver 1: Titleist 909 D2 10.5* with Prolaunch Red Stiff
    Driver 2: Titleist TS3 10.5"with Prolaunch Reg Reg
    Fairway: Titleist 909 F2 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Titleist 910H #2 17*
    I
    rons: Srixon Titleist 714 CB 4 - PW
    Wedges Yururi 53* & 57*
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Golo 7 Dual Balance 38" (Heavy)

I started with the 909 and it went very well. Only one drive wasn't an effective FIR and it was quite long and super easy to hit. I I swapped to the TS3 and topped my first drive. Not really the Drivers fault though. I was pissed at having walked the 200m to the 10th tee, beating the other in carts and being the only one ready to hit on the tee. It wasn't the first time on the day and did not help my tempo one bit! It is something that I strike way too often at Reddie Bay. Even worse are the ones that race to the tee and then just sit there fiddling and pretending to be busy because they don't like to tee off first! The 909 won on the day. The TS3 didn't get my best swing admittedly. And I did not like the PL Red feel in it, despite it being a favorite shaft usually.The Evenflow seems to suit it better.

My striking was so mixed with the CBs, it was very frustrating. It was particularly evident in my short game were my usual touch was struggling. When I struck then well they felt great, but poor tempo and too fast a swing saw some pretty ordinary strikes as well.

My putting was probably the best part of my game, but I still struggled a little. The Golo 7 is a new arrival. It is very similar to my Golo Select, but with a Satin finish and the Dual Balance grip. But this putter came with 2 x 35g weights and felt super heavy. I am pretty sure 2 x 10g was the standard set up. I putted okay with it but I never quite felt like I had my distance control nailed. The extra weight calms your stroke, but seemed to dull the feel somewhat. I might have to swap in some 10g weights for its next outing.

Yesterday was my last comp round for the year. It was the usual Wednesday single stab event. I started poorly and never really recovered. My first 3 drives were a straight block left, a slappy cut left and a straight pull right. How is that for consistency! I was off with my irons as well and that fed into the short game. I was probably lucky to score as many points as I did, and I can thank my putting for that. The final tally was 15/14 = 29 points with 3 wipes.

Driver 1: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* with Alta Red CB 55 Stiff
    Driver 2: Ping G400 LST 10* with Ping Tour 65 Reg
    Fairway: Ping i15 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Ping G30 #3 19*
    I
    rons: Ping Eye2 + 4 - PW
    Wedges Yururi 53* & 57*
    Putter: Ping Ketsch Straight Arc C-B 38"

This was to be the 2nd round of MyGolfSpy Best Drivers' comparison. The Ping G400 LST vs the G410 Plus substituting for the LST version. My poor swinging at the start mucked that up somewhat. I did hit some good drives with the Plus on the front nine. But I was definitely better with the 400 on the back nine. Not that it helped my scoring much! In reality there wasn't a lot in it. The 400 felt the better of the two, but that may have been just me on the day. Distance was similar, but the 400 won just in that area as well.

I just did not get on with the 2+s on the day . I could not get my distances nailed. They are very weak lofts compared to my usual irons. But even allowing for that I was coming up short most of the time. And I was no better with them in my short game. Which feed into the confidence. I did putt well, but got a lot of lipouts on the back nine trying to make a score.

Some quick stats for 2020 for me;

131 comp rounds in 2020 vs 95 in 2018. I played very few non comp rounds this year, partly due to Covid restrictions on non comp fee bookings.

Ave Score was 0.26 lower than 2019

I hit 0.1% less FIR, and 0.02% more GIR. So all but identical stats.

Ave Putts per round was .2 higher.

Similar to last year, my last quarter was my best. Part due to seasonal factors, and part due to some swing changes.

In the last quarter my ave score was 0.98 shots lower, FIR and GIR were basically unchanged. My putting was .25 per round lower. I gained 1m on my average drive.

Starting GA HCP was 9.4 and the finishing was 10.1. But the system change on 20/1/2020 so they are really not comparable. Playing HCP (same course and ratings) was 10 at the start and 9 to finish the year.

Yesterday we played a Par event at Redland Bay to start off the year. I played one of my more consistent rounds and was pretty solid in all aspects. Game Golf tells me I had the most pars in round (14) in all my recorded rounds to date. I started with a bogey on each nine and then just became a par machine hole after hole. My final tally was +1/+2 = +3 which was good enough to secure me 3rd place in A Grade, only a shot off winning.

Driver 1: Honma TW747 460 9.5* with Honma Vizard 60 Reg
    Driver 2: Ryoma Maxima D-1 Type G 10.5* with Aldila NVS 65 Stiff
    Fairway: Honma TW747 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Tour Edge Hot Launch #3 19*
    I
    rons: Nike VR Pro Combo 4 - PW
    Wedges Miura 52* & 56*
    Putter: Yes Stephanie Mallet C-B 38"

I thought I would go with some JDM goodness to start the off the year. I barely missed a fairway all day. One poor swing cost me a double, but other than that I was pretty much where I aimed the club. The course was very wet and there was no run at all. The Ryoma was slightly longer on the day but there wasn't a lot in it. Both were a joy to use and look great at address. I would happily bag either regularly if that was my thing.

The VR Combo were a joy to use. It was nice to get my ball striking back on track and the Nikes felt pure! And they looks so good still (2001 release). The short irons are blades, identical to the VR Blades set I have, other than the engraving. The CB longer irons are very sleek but still quite forgiving. All give a great feel when you hit them anywhere near middle of the face.

My short game was very good. I hit a lot of chips to inside 4 feet which helped making the par relatively stress free. And I putted well anyway (27) but still had a couple of lipouts that annoyed me. The holes were a week old and getting quite ragged on the edges.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

So you finally found a combo that works?
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    So you finally found a combo that works?
    It isn't the first, or even a top 10 combo. So the search goes on (as if it would be any other way!). Oh, and two more Drivers are on their way.

Yesterday we played the opening round of the Brisbane Vets for 2021. The venue was Oxley, which was in the best condition i have seen it in a long time. We played the White Tees, so I only had 7 shots to play with. I got out of the blocks solidly and kept it going for the first nine (10 - 18 ) to turn with 18pts and a birdie to finish the nine. But it all went south on the 2nd nine as I tried a bit too hard to overcome only having 2 shots on the nine. The final tally was 18/11 = 29pts

Driver 1: Adams Fast 12LS 9.5* with Aldila NVS 55A
    Driver 2: Adams XTD 10.5* with MR Kuro Kage Black 60g Reg
    Fairway: Adams Tight Lies 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Tour Prototype 18*
    I
    rons: Adams CB2 4 - PW
    Wedges Miura 52* & 56*

I started with the Fast 12 and was hitting it very well. There wasn't a lot of run, but distance was solid and I was hitting them where I aimed. Till I over stretched on 17 (big pull) and wiped the hole. I never really got going with the XTD. I was spraying them everywhere. Not the clubs fault, poor execution. To make the point, I actually hit a good drive on the index 1 4th and made a regulation par, but was back to shite after that.

The CB2s went well, particularly when I was in position. And I made some good recovery shots as well. I hit lots of greens, so that wasn't my problem. My short game was poor, I just wasn't striking the ball cleanly most of the time. so I had lots of two putts (16 to be precise), many for birdie, but the single birdie was the only one putt. I putted well, but never quite got the roll of the greens. Some broke, some didn't and some were a touch grainy and hard to get the ball rolling cleanly.

I was disappointed with how I played. I could have ground it out much better by just keeping the ball in play more often. Dial it back and keep the ball on the short stuff, when needed.

I was back out in the heat yesterday for a single Stab/4BBB combo. The conditions were oppressive, the occasional lick of breeze was the only reprieve. I got my Cooling Towel out for the first time in a while. I played pretty steady golf without a lot of luck. I birdied the 2nd hole of the day (11th) but that was it for the day, just a slow grind from there. The final tally 16/17 = 33 points.

Driver 1: Cobra S2 10.5* with MR JavlnFX M7 Stiff
    Driver 2: Cobra S3 10.5* with Prolaunch Blue Reg
    Fairway: Cobra Baffler F Rail 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Cobra Baffler Pro 18*
    I
    rons: Cobra S3 Pro Combo 4 - PW
    Wedges Wishon PCF 52*, Cobra Trusty Tour 56*
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 C-B 38"

I had been wanting to bag the retro Cobras for a while. I was steady with them most of the day. I wasn't getting great distance, but I was finding Fairways after a slow start. The S3 had the advantage of being second and won the day fairly clearly, both on accuracy and distance. Both are very easy to play and pretty friendly by 2010/11 standards. They look very typical Cobra at address.

The S3 Pro Combos are always a pleasure to play. I wasn't totally on with my striking, so I did not do them complete justice, but they were thereabouts and my short game was hot with the bladed short irons. I putted very solidly on the sluggish greens and made everything I should get for 28 total for the day.

I slipped out early yesterday for a quick round with a mate. We got news of the lockdown during the round. There went the next few rounds for me, but we were lucky to get one in before the curfew. I was keen to test a newly arrived Driver. Conditions were pretty ordinary, constant light dizzle and a gusty SE made it uncomfortable. I started OK and the round had its moments (2 birdies), but I never got in front and I seemed to be playing catch up till the end. The Final tally was 16/14 = 30 points

Driver 1: Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5* with UST Helium f43 Reg
    Driver 2: Callaway Rogue 10.5* with PX Evenflow 6.0
    Fairway: Callaway Epic 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Callaway Epic #3 19*
    I
    rons: Callaway Apex 4 - PW
    Wedges Callaway X Tour 52*, Callaway X C Grind 56*
    Putter: Odyssey White Hot Two Ball CS C-B 38"

The Mavrik arrived late Thursday, just after an Epic Flash that needed to be shafted up. I decided to compare the Max to the Rogue. The Flash should get a run against the original Epic when we are allowed out again. I was impressed with the Max's potential and it felt very good. But on the day the Rogue gave me the better results, both statistically and according to my mates' assessment of my drives. I did boom a couple with it. The course is still pretty damp and there is very little run. I was getting good carry with both. There wasn't a lot between them on feel or forgiveness. With the Rogue perhaps a touch ahead on work-ability. I would favor the Max slightly on feel. The lightweight shaft perhaps being the difference?

The Apex were solid for me and always feel good. The gusty wind added some challenges but I still managed to hit a few close and was generally thereabout.

The short game was mixed. I wasn't quite on with my distance control. Partly, I think, because of the damp conditions giving me mixed bounces with my chip and run game. And the bunkers were damp and heavy as well making it harder to judge distance and spin. I putted very well without luck. I made everything inside 6 feet, but my history of lipouts continues.

Saturday's round was my first in since Lockdown. I was looking forward to testing a new Driver. I swung the clubs alright, but never really got going scoring wise. And anytime I went near the trees, I was dead and had to hack out sideways. It was a Monthly Mug Stroke event from the back tees. I finished 45/45 =90/81

Driver 1: Callaway Epic 10.5* with Aldila Tour Green ATX 65 Stiff
    Driver 2: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5* with Aldila NVS 55 Reg
    Fairway: Callaway 3 Deep 14* 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Callaway XR Pro 18*
    I
    rons: Callaway Apex/Apex Pro Combo 4 - PW
    Wedges Callaway X Tour 52*, Callaway X C Grind 56*
    Putter: Odyssey Tank 2 Ball V Mid C-B 38"

The Flash was a new arrival. I thought I would try a lightweight shaft in it to match the lightness of the head. The original Epic would provide a comparable benchmark. I started with the Epic and it was pretty solid. I only missed one fairway and that was due to a rushed swing. It was solidly long and went where I aimed it. I took me a while to settle with the Flash. I certainly wasn't hitting it as well as the Epic, nor as long or straight. More work needed on this one. I will swap another shaft in to it next time out. Late breaking news; I have just picked up a Flash SZ head, now awaiting its arrival to add to the comparisons.

I was hitting the Apex OK, but they had a bit too much work on the day. The Pro irons always feel a little bit hot and harsh to me and it was the same this round. I was hitting my chip shots a touch long at times. I have also moved my typical pull to more often now a push left.

The short game was cool. The greens had been scarified and were running a bit quicker and more true. But the mini tram tracks were still evident enough to derail putts more often than not. I putted well but made nothing of any length. Lots of lipouts and the odd hanger (over the front edge).

After another slow week for golf, I played 3 rounds in 4 days. It doesn't take long for match fitness, or lack of it, to impact in the heat and humidity. But by yesterday I was back in "trim", or as trim as I get! .

Friday's round was in the Black Marker Challenge. I started solidly and managed 17 points on the front nine. But stumbled at the turn and staggered to the finish for another 15 points for 32 total.

Driver 1: Ryoma Maxima D-1 Type D 10.5* with PL Axis Red 60 Stiff
    Driver 2: SMT Nemisis 370 9*with PL Blue Reg
    Fairway: Lynx Parallax 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Lynx Parallax #3 19*
    I
    rons: Srixon Z765 4 - PW
    Wedges Muira 52* & 56*
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 5 CB - C-B 38"

I started with the Ryoma and was very solid off the tee with it. I didn't miss a Fairway and I was hitting it where I wanted to, but I wasn't totally happy with my swing. My iron striking was off a little and it was only my driving that kept me in it. I change to the SMT at the turn and struggled with it at first. I topped my first drive into the hazard and it took me a while to stabilise with it. I wasn't Driving badly (except for the 10th tee shot), but I wasn't hitting nearly as well I as know I can. As you will see in later reports, this was to become a pattern over the next few rounds. All to do with the Drivee, not the Drivers in question.

My iron striking wasn't up to scratch. They were coming off the face OK, but I was blocking a lot right and gradually lost confidence in my swing. I still hit some good shots, including a tee shot to inside 2 feet on the 16th for a Bird. But I was never quite sure what was coming! I did finish more solidly, but that was to prove to be a false dawn!

My short game mostly kept me in it and I putted solidly without much luck (29).

I was back out the next day for a Single Stab event over the same course set up as for the previous day. I struggled to score right out of the blocks. I didn't miss a fairway on the front nine, but could only muster 12 points for all that. I improved slightly on the back for 15 points coming home, 27 total.

Driver 1: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5* with PL Blue Stiff
    Driver 2: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* with PL Blue Reg
    Fairway: Mizuno ST- 180 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Calalway Epic #3 19*
    I
    rons: Taylormade Speedblades 4 - PW
    Wedges Taylormade 50* & 56*
    Putter: Taylormade Spider Mallet 74 CS C-B 38"

I started with the Epic Flash and was solid with it through the front nine for 100% FIR. It felt much better with the PL Blue shaft vs the Aldila NVS I originally had in it. I was still not hitting the ball completely clean, but it was good enough with the Epic's forgiveness to keep me in play. I switched to the SZ at the turn and initially struggled with it. They were all going left. I gradually got in tune with it and started to hit fairways, but the damage was done. I thought I had set the SZ at 2* up, but realised eventually it was actually set at standard loft and lie (N & S). Which probably explained my early struggle with it.

My iron striking continued to struggle. I was blocking plenty and getting very frustrated. And as usual, the harder you try to fix it, the more you deteriorate. The other factor that was becoming evident was that the rough had become quite penal as the course conditions continues to improve.

My short game was mixed. Some very good U & Ds, but some struggles to get good contact out of the thicker stuff. I made a good putt on the first and that was the last of the day. Lots of 2 putts, one 3 jab.

I was back out again yesterday for a Vets round at Wynnum. The course is in really good nick after the rain. The Greens were very good and relatively quick. I started very poorly, 3 points through the first 5 holes, but then settled somewhat to finish with 11 on the nine. The second nine was much improved and I managed to accumulate 16pts for 27 total.

It is amazing how quickly your game can deteriorate once a small fault starts to creep in. I realised during the round that I was tending to slap my Drives and my Timing and Tempo were all out of wack. I was also hitting the ball with the Putter, rather than rolling the ball. I made some adjustments during the second nine that started to fix things, but I still have some work to do to get back on track to some confidence.

Driver 1: Cobra Max Offset 10.5* with Matrix White Tie 55 Stiff
    Driver 2: Cleveland HB Turbo Launcher 10.5* with Miyazaki c Kua 5 Stiff
    Fairway: Cleveland HB Launcher 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Cobra Max #3 19*
    I
    rons: Cobra Fly Z 4 - PW
    Wedges Cleveland 50* & 56*
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S C-B 38"

I started with the Cobra Driver and I was not hitting it well. Mostly it was blocks left, but I was also losing distance and accuracy due to my poor swing. I started to come good towards the end of the nine, but the scoring damage was done. The Launcher got the benefit of the fixes and I hit it pretty well. Nothing to really tell about the equipment in question other than they are fairway finders if you are swing OK, even not so well.

Ditto for my iron ball striking. I hit some really crap shots and some really good ones, but lacked confidence for most of the round.Again it was starting to come good towards the end.

My short game was pretty good, and it had to be at times. I made some solid U & Ds. My Putting was off early, but came good once I started rolling the ball. It was a Yip Fest with my fellow group members, so I was happy to escape relatively unscathed with 30 putts.

Yesterday was the usual mid week Single Stab event at Reddie Bay. We got off early to beat the heat, but it was still humid as hell. A light breeze dropped in for the last few holes, but our sun sleeves were still dripping wet when we finished. Lost balls is a common problem now with the lush rough conditions. We and other groups all had the same problem. Interestingly though the round was still relatively quick and under 4hrs.

I started poorly, but managed to scramble a couple of 2 pointers to start. Then wiped the 3rd after a lost ball. Parred the 4th and was steady to the turn for 16 points. Ditto the back nine for another 15 points for 31 total. Enough to get a ball in the rundown. In that score I played the four pars 3 in one under for 11pts, and the four par 5s for 5 points total. That left 15pts from the ten par 4s. My iron play is my main struggle at the moment, it is so inconsistent.

Driver 1: Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5* with MR Fubuki ZT60 Stiff
    Driver 2: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* with PL Blue Reg
    Fairway: Callaway FTiz 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Tour Prototype 18*
    I
    rons: Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 4 - PW

I started OK with the Mavrik and mostly hit it quite well. It is quite friendly and solidly long when you hit it well. Which is easy to do. It is one of those Drivers that is easy to settle into. The Fubuki went very well in it and felt really good. It is becoming noticeable that changing shafts in it changes the feel, the results not so much. So it is worth persevering if at first you aren't convinced. I struggled at times again with the Flash SZ. I think the loft and low spin get in my head a bit and I try to hit it higher, rather than just putting a normal swing on it. I had it ticked up 2*, though it did not look it at address. When I caught it well it had a good flight and showed good potential. But it is definitely much harder work than the Mavrik.

The FT iz went really well. It stands up well against the newest crop of 3 woods in both feel and results. I was one of the first Composite 3 woods. And it brought back memories for a couple of us of Hux standing on a tee (the 5th?) at Woodford after his tee shot with the remnants of his after the back of the club disintegrated.!

MY iron striking is generally OK, but my direction and control is all over the shop. I hit some pretty good tee shots on the par3s, but at other times I was hitting big blocks or pulls. Which is not a good combination to try and play with! It can get quite disheartening at times, especially after hitting good tees shots to put yourself into position to score.

My short game was pretty solid. I made (had to make!) lot of good recovery shots and backed it up with the Putter (27). I really like the STX Putter. It is a shame they are no longer made.

Last edited by Daves; 28th January 2021 at 11:37 AM.

Back out yesterday for the usual Saturday Single Stab in the humidity. I started poorly, but slowly built a score only to derail it a couple of times with poorly directed irons shots. In the end I accumulated 14/15 for 29pts total.

Driver 1: Cobra King F9 0.5* with HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g Stiff
    Driver 2: Cobra King Ltd 10.5* with PL Blue Reg
    Fairway: Cobra F/St Speed 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Cobra F6 #3 19*
    I
    rons: Cobra Forged TEC Black 4 - PW
    Wedges Mizuno JPX 50* & Muira 56*
    Putter: Rife Hybrid Two Bar Mallet CS C-B 38"

I started with the F9 and did not miss an effective FIR with it. But I never found the middle of the face. I started out hitting healy cuts and then moved to high toe hits. The ball wasn't going any distance, but accuracy didn't seem to suffer greatly. The switch to the King Ltd did not start well with a big block left, but I gradually got in tune with it. The PL Blue soften the feel a bit. I have found it a touch harsh in the past with the Stiff Aldila Rogue it originally came with. I wasn't swing it all that well but it was noticeably long with a great flight.

The Speed Fairways are one of my favorites ( I have 3 of them). I hit this one very well, other than a poor block first off. And it was relatively long by my standards.

Again, my ball striking was OK, but my direction was inconsistent and cost me shots. And it was a mix of blocks and pulls, just to keep it interesting! The Black TECs felt great with the Recoil 780s. It was just a shame I wasn't hit them well enough to take advantage of their qualities.

My short game was pretty good and I was putting well. But I had little luck on the greens when I was outside 10 feet. I had one putt actually get tipped back out of the hole by the ball lifter wire facing the back of the hole. The ball was falling in the right side. I heard the ting and wondered what had happened? It dawned on me after a few seconds that it had sprung the ball back out of going around the flag into the back of the hole.

It was a horror day scoring wise yesterday. Not a single 3 pointer in the round. It was an early round at Reddie Bay. The usual Wednesday Single Stab event. I started OK but my swing started to deteriorate and the harder I tried to retrieve it, the worse it got. Perhaps a case of over thinking it and focusing too much on the mechanics. All I could muster was 25pts, 10 x 2, 5 x 1, 3 wipes.

We had a good fall of rain on Tuesday and more was expected, so I set up the bag to sort of suit the conditions.

Driver 1: Wilson D7 10.5* with UST Helium 45 Reg
    Driver 2: Adams Fast 12LS 10.5* with Aldila NVS K Reg
    Fairway: Cobra F Max 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Adams Pro Gold Proto 20*
    I
    rons: Adams CB3 with Matrix Program 8.1 Reg 4 - PW
    Wedges Adams CB3 49* & Muira 56*
    Putter: Yes Stephanie Mallet C-B 38"

I started with the D7 and hit a good drive down the 1st. But then it started to creak. It seemed to be under the grip. I guessed the Graphite Extension I had put in it had come loose. A check this morning confirmed same. The Epoxy seemed to have let go, though it might have also not been a perfect fit in the oversize Butt end. I tried to use it, but had no confidence and swapped to the Adams pretty quickly. It went OK for a while, but as I struggled to score, I think I started to try and hit it harder and lost Tempo and Timing as a consequence.

And this all flowed into my iron game. I started OK and was generally hitting the ball OK, but the pulls and blocks snuck their way back in.

And to top it off I wasn't on my game with the short shots. The greens had been de-thatched and sanded again and were bouncy. It was sort of strange to see a spray of sand as the ball landed, only to see it scoot way past target like it had landed on a path. I putted well, but wasn't close enough to make up the difference.

I am a bit behind in my write ups. 3 games in 4 days and some other things have kept me busy. Unfortunately, the golf has been mostly shite. No good scores to report and a lot of frustration with an inconsistent swing.

Last Friday we played an early round in the regular single Stab.The upside was it was Millionaire's golf on Friday, no one else in front or behind and a very casual and unrushed 3 and a bit hour round for our group of two. I struggled to score out of of the blocks and could only muster 15pts the front. It didn't get any better coming home, 13pts for 28 total.

Driver 1: TM 2017 M1 10.5* with PL Red Reg
    Driver 2: TM AeroBurner10.5* with PL Red Stiff
    Fairway: TM M1 3 Wood
    Hybrid: TM M1 19*
    I
    rons: TM 2014 MCs 4 - PW
    Wedges Cleveland 50* & Yururi Tour 57*
    Putter: Seemore Si3 CS C-B 38"

My driving was actually quite solid for most of the round. I only missed one fairway on each nine, one block and one pull. There is little to no run on our course at the moment. Length was consistent and solid with both. The AeroBurner was probably slightly more consistent and very straight. The M1 had the little bit extra when you went after it and was a little more workable. Not much between them otherwise and either would justify their place in the bag most rounds.

It was my iron play that was off tune. Blocks and pulls, diminishing confidence was the story line.

The short game was off a little as well. But course condition was also a factor. Our rough has become quite penal and if you are blocking or pulling your approach shots, you get to see lots of it at present. I was hitting my short game shots OK, but not getting close enough to recover most of the time. That was also partly due to the greens. We have had an outstanding growing season and the course staff are struggling to stay on top of our green growth. They have de-thatched them again for the umpteen time and they are now a bit bumpy and somewhat inconsistent. No two pitch shots react the same. This is showing up in the winning and average scores being generally lower than usual. I didn't quite realise how much the greens had gone off till I played a lesser course yesterday (Meadowbrook) and was blown away by how good their greens were comparatively. Anyway, I made nothing and had 34 putts for the day.

Last edited by Daves; 9th February 2021 at 11:07 AM.

I was back out on Saturday for a Medal round off the Blacks. I started pretty well and posted a reasonable score through the front nine. But I went somewhat off the rails on the back nine and leaked shots till the end. Partly due to some poor driving, and also due to growing frustration at not being able to score.

Driver 1: Cleveland Classic Tour 310 with Miyazaki Kusula Tour Black 61S
    Driver 2: Cleveland Black 265 with Diamana Bassara E45 Reg
    Fairway: Cleveland CG Black 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Cleveland Mashie M2 18*
    I
    rons: Cleveland 588TT 4 - PW
    Putter: Rife Barbados C-B 38"

I started with the Classic, an old favorite that I am very familiar with. And I drove it pretty well, one pull otherwise pretty good. The change to the Black 265 wasn't smooth though. 3 pull hooks in the first 4 drives had me scrambling to make scores from poor positions. The Black has a closed face and along with the super light whippy shaft was made to go right for me. But I can hit it straight and control it once I adjust. Unfortunately, there is no adjustment break in a competition round and I just had to work with what I had. Once I got on top of it went well and was very straight. But the damage had been done.

More pulls and blocks, but not quite so frequent was the story with my iron play. I still didn't hit many greens, but was mostly around where I aimed it. The short game was coolish as I continued to struggle with the rough and greens. Better than last round though, I made nothing on the greens, but got U & D enough to keep it to 30 putts even with 3 x 3 jabs.

Thread Information