Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 62 FirstFirst ... 7 47 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 1538
    Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Yesterday I played Wynnum with the Brisbane Vets. The course was in good nick and the weather was near perfect. A great day for a walk. I struggle a little with the Driver early, but managed to keep my scoring rolling along OK. But I was making nothing on the greens and that continued all day. The pace slowed to a crawl on the back nine and I started to struggle. It didn't help that we were behind (just) on our 4B match and my partner was missing in action. I staggered my way home for 18/13 = 31.

Driver: Alpha RX400 10.5* with Alpha Premium Reg
    Fairway: Taylormade V Steel 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Callaway BB Alpha 815 18*
    Irons: Taylormade RSi1 4- PW
    Wedges Mizuno JPX 50*, 53* & 57*
    Putter: Nike Ignite CS C- B 38"

I was middling my strikes with the Alpha but I really didn't feel in control. I gradually worked my way around it and hit a couple of great Drives to finish. But failed to convert either. This is a great looking Driver at address and it feels good when you hit it well. It isn't overall long, but distance is pretty consistent.

Wynnum is a short course, so Driver isn't always needed. Get out of position and it can cost you. The greens are relatively small targets. I was using 4i to good effect, too good at times, hitting well beyond my usual distances. The RSi1s felt good. They are pretty strong lofts, so some thought needs to go into the clubbing. I was hitting them pretty well on full shots, but I started to struggle a little with my strikes when I needed to take some off.

As mentioned, I made nothing with the putter. Lots of lipouts continues the story of my recent putting results . My short game was OK, but I just did not convert.

I have a decision to make on what I carry. I am not getting through my Driver options quickly enough (yes, I have way too many!), so am thinking of carry two and dropping a wedge. Next round might be my first test of the concept.

Wednesday's round was a single Stab with 4BBB in conjunction at Reddie Bay. It was my first two Drivers/two Wedges bag trial and in the end it went pretty well. I was slow out of the blocks scoring wise, though I was hitting the ball well. I just could not make a Putt. The back nine also started slowly, but suddenly the Putts started dropping and I came home strongly. I managed a final score of 16/22 = 38 points with a Birdie on the last for a 4 a 3.

Driver 1: Cleveland HB Turbo 10.5* with Miyazaki c Kua 5S
    Driver 2: American Golfer's Collection Spec 460 10.5*
    Fairway: Cleveland CG Black 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Adams A4 Boxer 19* & 22*
    Irons: Adams V4 Forged 5- PW
    Wedges Yururi 53* & 57*
    Putter: Lajosi Custom CS Mallet 34"

I quite enjoyed the two Driver option. I started with the Cleveland and I was hitting it pretty well. Not super long, but straight and pretty much where I was aiming. I switched to the AGC Driver at the 10th. It was quite different to hit. Where I could comfortably draw the Cleveland when needed, the AGC felt much more a fade/cut driver. I could draw it, but it was hard work. Probably due to the spaghetti soft flex shaft in it. Still , I was hitting fairways and I think it was longer on average than the Cleveland. I switched back to the Cleveland for the last couple of holes and hit a couple of boomers to finish. Which to me, is why the Cleveland would get my vote, easier to hit and you can step on it with confidence when required.

With the V4s in the bag, that left a spot to bag two Hybrids and I found that it worked pretty well. I still prefer a 4i in the bag, but the versatility of flight with the #4 Hybrid was nice to have.

The V4s were solid and they have that forged feel/sound. These are quite chunky backed irons, but little of that is visible at address. I hit plenty of greens, or was thereabouts, but as mentioned, it took me a while to start sinking putts.

The Lajosi Custom is a recent arrival. I put it in the bag unmolested i.e. in its unaltered configuration, standard pistol grip and 34" length. It felt comfortable from the start and I liked the way it aligned, but I just could not get the putts to drop till the 12th. 19 putts the front, 13 coming home. I would prefer to be a bit more upright at address, so I might lengthen it in due course, but the jury is out on that one.

Did I miss the 50* Wedge?, not really. There was only one shot where the distance was right, but the lie dictated another shot anyway.
    Last edited by Daves; 3rd September 2020 at 08:34 AM.

No comp round on Saturday, as I was in the Matchplay quarters. It was a real arm wrestle match and I didn't prevail till the 22nd hole. There was never more than 1 in it all day. I made nothing with the putter, and ironically I won the match with the same club I won the first hole with, putting from off the green with my #2 Hybrid (Nike VR Pro). I had seven lipouts with the putter, and one with the Hybrid when I almost repeated my off green putt in 2nd time around.

I played two Drivers; 1) Wilson FG Tour F5 9.5* and 2) Wilson Triton 10.5*. I wasn't totally comfortable with either, but went OK with them most of the time. The FG Tour tended to go left, the closed face Triton was more Right prone. Neither had been in the bag for a long time and I reckon a little time with either would smooth out any wrinkles. Neither is particularly long, but they will keep up with most Drivers out there. And the feel element is pretty good.

Irons on the Dy were Ping G10s. They went OK, but felt a bit like "blunt instruments" to use. Plenty of forgiveness, but I was were never quite in unison with them. And I seemed to not always be getting the distances I expected from some of the irons (4i in particular).

Putter was my Scotty Kombi. I was stroking it well, but just could not make anything of any length on the day. None of the group did.

I was back out early Monday for our Vets round at Pacific. I started solidly, but the slow pace of play eventually got to me. We had Matchplay groups in front of us and it glacial at times! In the end I tallied 16/15 = 31 points.

Driver 1: Ping G Series LS Tec 10.5* with PL Blue Stiff
    Driver 2: Ping I15 9.5* with JavlnFX M6 Stiff
    Fairway: Nike VR S 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Nike VR Pro #2 18*
    Irons: Titleist 714 AP1 4- PW
    Wedges Yururi 53* & 57*
    Putter: Seemore Big FGP Mallet CS CB 38"

My approach is to use Driver No.1 on the first nine, and Driver 2 on the 2nd, to give me some reasonable comparatives. The experience with the Pings was similar to the Wilson duo. The LS Tec misses went right, the I15 went left. Not that they were big misses when they happened, that was just the tendencies with my swing with them. I was hitting both quite well, and reasonably long on the day. The I15 was clearly the longer of the two, though that may have reflected the windy conditions on the day.

I was solid with the AP1s, without ever quite clicking with them. My forged club "snobbery", was probably the reason. The sound/feel was never quite there for me.

We all struggled on the greens. It looked like that had been renovated a month or so ago and while advanced they were a bit bare, bumpy and scruffy slow. I only had 30 putts, which more reflected my strong short game, As I made nothing of any length.

Yesterday, I was supposed to be playing in the quarters of our Matchplay Champs, but my opponent forfeited so I had a walk over. So I ended up playing in the Single Stab Comp. I played reasonably steady for most of the round, never quite getting into 3rd gear, but grinding out a score nevertheless. Unfortunately, I managed to wipe the last hole on each nine to spoil the result. Final score was 18/16 = 34pts

Driver 1: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* with Alta Red 55 CB Stiff
    Driver 2: Ping G30 SF TEC 12* with Alta 55 Blue Reg
    Fairway: Cleveland CG Black 3 Wood Stiff
    Hybrid: Cleveland CG Black #3 19*
    Irons: Taylormade 2011 TP CB 4- PW
    Wedges Yururi 53* & 57*
    Putter: STX 2 5.5 Mallet CS CB 38"

The G410 plus arrive a couple of days ago. I was keen to try it as the reviews have been pretty positive. I lined it up against my favorite current Ping, the G30 SF TEC to give it a serious first up test. It performed pretty well. I won't yet say it is an equal or bested the G30, but it held its own and showed lots of potential. It was long and straight, and I found it easy to shape. I would say a lower spinner without being super low. I did hit the G30 longer on a couple of occasions, but they were wind assisted. Accuracy was similar, I missed 2 FIR with each, but only one each wasn't effective *both pully hooks, trying to hit them too hard. I probably still prefer the feel of the G30 slightly, but there isn't a lot in it.

I was solid with the TP CBs without extracting their best. I will put that down to the swing changes I am still trying to bed down. Plus my impatience at times in not taking a little more time in my set up etc.

My short game was mixed, again I am trying to embed some slight swing changes, which give me much better accuracy, but I am still to get the strike consistently right. I am close, but not quite there and it mostly means I am hitting my chips a bit long on average.

I don't know much about STX putters. This one came up on eBay and I liked the look of it. I did my normal lengthen and counter balance adjustment. I putted well with it. Distance control was solid and I missed nothing that I should have made, and made a few longer putts. It is a relatively compact Mallet head, the alignment aids are good and the insert face felt pretty good. 31 putts was the result.
    Last edited by Daves; 13th September 2020 at 10:45 AM.

Monday's Vets round was at McLeod. I started well with the Driver, but struggled to put points on the board. The greens were the main barrier. None of us could pick the pace. The front nine were fuzzier than a Naturalist Picnic. The back nine were slightly better, but few putts were made. I finally tallied 13/18 = 31pts.

Driver 1: Taylormade M4 10.5* with Fujikura ATMOS 5 Reg
    Driver 2: Taylormade Jetpeed 10.5* with GD ADDI 7x
    Fairway: Taylormade M1 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Taylormade SLDR TP #3 17.5*
    Irons: Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 4- PW
    Wedges Yururi 53* & 57*
    Putter: Taylormade Rossa Monte Carlo 7 CS C-B 38"

I started off with the M4 and I was crushing it. All out of the middle and all in play. I changed to the Jetspeed at the turn and my Driving started to deteriorate. I was blocking everything with high Toe hits. Switched back to the M4 to finish and got my mojo back! I am sure the Jetty is just as long, but it is a much harder Driver to hit well, for me at least. The M4 was sneaky long and very straight.

I was mostly in good position off the tee, but I struggled at times with my iron play. The big offset put me off somewhat, and I was blocking them left too often. When i struck them well, they flew well, but I never really got my distances nailed.

The short game was very mixed. The greens were the main factor again. My short game and putting was much better on the back nine, but I still made little of any distance.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    I played two Drivers; 1) Wilson FG Tour F5 9.5* and 2) Wilson Triton 10.5*. I wasn't totally comfortable with either, but went OK with them most of the time. The FG Tour tended to go left, the closed face Triton was more Right prone. Neither had been in the bag for a long time and I reckon a little time with either would smooth out any wrinkles. Neither is particularly long, but they will keep up with most Drivers out there. And the feel element is pretty good....
    Apologies in advance for the threadjack but I was just catching up on your rounds. Daves, what weight were you using in the Wilson FG Tour? I bought a 10.5 degree version of this a while back and have finally started to tinker with it a bit to see if I can get more reliable distance out of it compared to my Cobra FlyZ+ (and before I convince myself to just buy a new driver). I've played around with the weights previously and not noticed a great deal of difference between the 3 and 7 gram weights. I tried the 11 gram weight once and didn't have a good day with the driver, although that was probably more to do with me than the club. Have you played around with the different weights much?
    Last edited by Dcanto; 16th September 2020 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcanto View Post
    Apologies in advance for the threadjack but I was just catching up on your rounds. Daves, what weight were you using in the Wilson FG Tour? I bought a 10.5 degree version of this a while back and have finally started to tinker with it a bit to see if I can get more reliable distance out of it compared to my Cobra FlyZ+ (and before I convince myself to just buy a new driver). I've played around with the weights previously and not noticed a great deal of difference between the 3 and 7 gram weights. I tried the 11 gram weight once and didn't have a good day with the driver, although that was probably more to do with me than the club. Have you played around with the different weights much?
    Hi Dave, I haven't touched the weights. It only came with one, the 7 gram. As I MOI match my clubs, I effectively re-weight the heft anyway.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Hi Dave, I haven't touched the weights. It only came with one, the 7 gram. As I MOI match my clubs, I effectively re-weight the heft anyway.
    Thanks, Daves. I had forgotten that you prefer your clubs on the hefty side. Apart from what I've read in reviews, I was just curious as to what the real world experiences had been for any other Ozgolfers that have used this driver and, experimented with various setups.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Wednesday's round was the usual single Stab at Reddie Bay. I started well and was scoring solidly till a couple of poor shots on 9. Still I managed 17 points and was on track to at least equal the Hcp. A bit slow out of the blocks on the back nine, but managed to keep the score rolling along. Till a 15 minute wait on the tee for the 16th. Struck the tee shot well but blocked it left into the water eventually. Had a chance for point on the no shot hole, but lipped out. Then a poor drive lead to a double on 17. Finished with a birdie putt that stayed out on the last for 16 points coming home and 33 total.

Driver 1: Taylormade M6 10.5* with Fujikura ATMOS 5 Stiff
    Driver 2: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* with Alta Red CB 55 Stiff
    Fairway: Taylormade M6 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Taylormade M6 #3 19*
    Irons: Adams CB3 with Matrix Program 8.1 Reg 4- PW
    Wedges Yururi 53* & 57*
    Putter: Cleveland Smart Square Mallet C-B 38"

The Driver challenge was interesting. If you had asked me to pick a winner beforehand, I would have picked the Ping by a fair margin. The M6 had not grown on me till now, but it did go very well yesterday. Only one fairway missed marginally and I felt in control of it for probably the first time. I wasn't quite so accurate with the Ping, but that was me trying too hard on a couple of holes. When I swung normally, it was very good. I absolutely boomed one down the last, to slide the Ping marginally in front at the end of the day.

My iron striking isn't yet where it needs to be. My bad shot now is mostly a block left, whereas it used to be a pull right. I am getting better strikes, but my direction accuracy is poor at times. I enjoyed the CB3 as always, but just did not do them justice on the day.

The short game was mixed, my touch isn't quite on target at the moment. Close but not there. Ironically, the more loft the better I was, normally it is the reverse. I was solid with the putter (31) without ever feeling fully confident. I like the alignment of the Smart Square but I am still to get totally comfortable standing over it. I made every short putt I should and had no 3 putts, but more work needed on the confidence levels with it.

On Friday we played the Black Marker Challenge at Redland Bay. I played steadily without ever really getting in front of handicap. I accumulated 17pts tot the turn. A single wipe on the back nine for 16pts coming home and 33 total.

Driver 1: Taylormade M4 10.5* with Fujikura ATMOS 5 Reg
    Driver 2: Taylormade M4 Tour 9.5* with Kuro Kage Black Reg
    Fairway: Taylormade M4 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Taylormade M4 #4 22*
    Irons: Adams CB2 4- PW
    Wedges Yururi 53* & 57*
    Putter: Yes Stacey 12 CS C-B 38"

This was the M4 drive off. I started with the 10.5* and drove it OK, nothing special though. And not nearly as well as Mcleod last week. The M4 Tour had similar stats on the back nine, but I felt more in control for the most part.

Hit the CB2s OK, but never really got my striking going. I realised during the round that my hands had moved back a touch in my set up and I had lost my forward lean.

I was off in my short game for the same reason. As I corrected my hands, I started to over hit my chips as my strike improved dramatically. It took a while for the feel radar to adjust. I made very little with the putter.

On Monday we played our Vets round at Windaroo. I don't remember the course ever looking better than it is at the moment. The greens were mint. They were hard, fast and bouncy which made it very interesting with the pin positions that were set. I am not sure if they have their Champs on at present, but most pins were in tough, tight spots. It felt quite US Openish. It was one of my better ball striking round of recent times, but I was unable to convert that to a better score on the greens. Back to back 16s for 32 total, no wipes.

Driver 1: Callaway XR 10.5* with PL Blue Reg
    Driver 2: Callaway Epic 10.5* with PL Blue Stiff
    Fairway: Callaway XR 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Callaway XR Pro #2 18*
    Irons: Callaway Apex 4- PW
    Wedges Yururi 53* & 57*
    Putter: Odyssey White Hot #5 35"

This was an interesting Driver comparison. The XR was the start of the lightweight series (186g HW), whereas the Epic (HW 191) is the more traditional weighted driver. There wasn't lot in it on the day. I found most of the holes I played the XR on asked me to hit a straight to L to R flight, whilst on the back nine I seemed to have more license with the Epic. I hit one bad drive with each, on the last hole of each nine. Both were straight blocks left. But I recovered both to score 2 points each time. They were quiet similar to use, easy to hit and confidence building. Neither was particularly long on the day, but they were around my average Driver distance on the stats.

My iron striking was very good. I hit a lot of greens and managed to stay on a fair few as well! But as mentioned, the Greens were hard and bouncy and a few didn't hold on the dance floor.

My short game was also good, but it was hard to make putts. One of my playing partners commented I was making tough 2nd putts look easy. I had a lot of birdie putts, but got none to drop (plenty of lipouts though). And lipped out 2 chips as well.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

On Monday we played our Vets round at Windaroo. I don't remember the course ever looking better than it is at the moment. The greens were mint. They were hard, fast and bouncy which made it very interesting with the pin positions that were set. I am not sure if they have their Champs on at present, but most pins were in tough, tight spots. It felt quite US Openish. It was one of my better ball striking round of recent times, but I was unable to convert that to a better score on the greens. Back to back 16s for 32 total, no wipes.

Driver 1: Callaway XR 10.5* with PL Blue Reg
    Driver 2: Callaway Epic 10.5* with PL Blue Stiff
    Fairway: Callaway XR 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Callaway XR Pro #2 18*
    Wedges Yururi 53* & 57*
    Putter: Odyssey White Hot #5 35"

This was an interesting Driver comparison. The XR was the start of the lightweight series (186g HW), whereas the Epic (HW 191) is the more traditional weighted driver. There wasn't lot in it on the day. I found most of the holes I played the XR on asked me to hit a straight to L to R flight, whilst on the back nine I seemed to have more license with the Epic. I hit one bad drive with each, on the last hole of each nine. Both were straight blocks left. But I recovered both to score 2 points each time. They were quiet similar to use, easy to hit and confidence building. Neither was particularly long on the day, but they were around my average Driver distance on the stats.

My iron striking was very good. I hit a lot of greens and managed to stay on a fair few as well! But as mentioned, the Greens were hard and bouncy and a few didn't hold on the dance floor.

My short game was also good, but it was hard to make putts. One of my playing partners commented I was making tough 2nd putts look easy. I had a lot of birdie putts, but got none to drop (plenty of lipouts though). And lipped out 2 chips as well.

Just finished the club champs and playing match-play champs in the coming weeks. Since the new greenkeeper Dan Stack has taken over he has had it in pretty good nick. Think renos on the greens are due mid next month.

Wednesday's round was our Monthly Mug stroke event. I played very steady golf to be 1 over handicap on each nine, and managed to finish with a Birdie.

Driver 1: Titleist 917 D3 10.5* with Kuro Kage Black Reg
    Driver 2: Titleist TS3 10.5* with PL Blue Reg
    Fairway: Titleist 917 F2 XR 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Titleist 915 Hd #2 18*
    Irons: Titleist 716 AP2 4- PW
    Wedges Yururi 53* & 57*
    Putter: SC Futura 7M C-B 38"

I was pretty solid with both Drivers. The both felt pretty good, but I would favor the TS3 ever so slightly. It did appear to be perhaps a touch longer, but the assessment reflects mainly my sound/feel preference. I would happily and confidently play either. I am a fan of the classic Titleist look at address.

I struggled a little with the AP2s, which is unusual. Some work next day at the range fixed the swing issues that contributed.

My short game and putting were my weakness. The greens were slow and fuzzy/grainy and I struggled to get the ball rolling well. Only made one decent putt all day, the birdie on the last.

I was back out yesterday for a single stableford round and an attempt to hone my game prior to my Matchplay Final today. I was again pretty solid and tallied 17/19 for 36 points.

Driver 1: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* with Alta Red C-B 55 Stiff
    Driver 2: Ping G400 LST 10* with Ping Tour 65 Reg
    Fairway: Cobra LD F Speed Wood
    Hybrid: Callaway BB Alpha #2 18*
    Wedges Yururi 53* & 57*
    Putter: Yes Stacey 12 CS C-B 38"

Again, I was very solid with both drivers and would happily game either. My vote goes to the 410 plus as being just that little bit more friendly. It would also get my vote as best new Driver of 2020 (added to my collection i.e.) for me so far. I find it very easy to keep in play, but it also has that step up aspect where I can boom one longer, when required.

My iron play was much better, partly because of the Apexes, and partly the work I did on my swing set up.

But I struggled to convert again. The Green were even slower and fuzzier. I just could not get the ball rolling properly. Perhaps some more loft would have helped, but everyone struggled with it. I found out today that they have been pouring the fertiliser into the greens to get them going well into the growing season. They are even mowing 5 days a week and still not keeping on top on them. Coring is week or so a way, so it is a short term issue. and they were better, but still slowish today as the gusty westerlies dried them out a bit.

Yesterday's Brisbane Vets round took us back to Meadowbrook (Logan City) for my 2nd round there. Last time we played 19-27/10 -18. This time it is was 1 -18, so nine new holes to sample. Unfortunately, the greens had been cored in recent weeks and were pretty sandy and slow. Not the worst, but quite inconsistent on bounce and roll. I started well with Birdie on 10 and played the first 10 holes solidly, for 20 points. Then back to back wipes and only another 7 points to the finish, though I finished solidly. I changed driver on the 2nd and lost my swing for some reason. A mystery lost ball on the par 3 3rd and I was struggling. As mentioned, all came good on the last, but the damage was well and truly done.

I didn't mind the layout of the front nine, which mostly follows the Slacks Creek boundary, but the fairways are pretty ordinary. They actually had good grass cover right in front of the tees for the first 100m or so, but it was very patchy in the actual landing areas??.

Driver 1: Adams XTD 10.5* with MR Kuro Kage Black Reg
    Driver 2: Adams Redline RPM 430Q 10.5* Aldila NVS Reg
    Fairway: Adams Insight XTD Pro 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Tour Prototype #2 18*
    Irons: Taylormade R11 4- PW
    Wedges Yururi 53* & 57*
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Golo 5 Dual Balance 38"

I was on fire with the XTD for the first 10 holes. I hit a couple of blocks left, but all were very solidly hit and most were extra long, 3 were 230m+. But the wheels fell off when I switched to the RPM and I can't tell you why?, because I have hit it extra well in the past. I quickly changed back to the XTD, but I continued to mishit Drives until the last hole of the day, the 9th.

I was hitting the R11s very well, though I wasn't quite on with my distances at times. I was mostly hitting them long

The short game was very mixed. A combination of poor lies (I didn't realise that preferred lies were allowed, Duh!) and unpredictable green bounces made it a bit of a lottery. I putted pretty solidly in the circumstances, though lots of 2 putts was the outcome as it was hard to get in close on most holes.

Yesterday we played the usual single Stab event at Reddie Bay. I scored quite well, only staggering a little over a few finishing holes to finish with 20/18 = 38 points. 1 point behind the winning A Grade score. I drove the ball well and my iron play was pretty solid. It was the par 5s that were my poor scoring holes. No particular reasons; 1 poor drive, one unlucky drive and some poor short game shots on another that I was just short for 2.

Driver 1: Cobra F8 10.5* with Aldila NV 2 KXV 60S
    Driver 2: Cobra F9 10.5* with HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 6.0
    Fairway: Cobra F Max 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Cobra Max #3 19*
    Irons: Srixopn Z-355 4- PW
    Wedges Yururi 53* & 57*
    Putter: Odyssey White Hot CS Two Ball Mallet CB 38"

I was very solid with the F8, but I was finally pumping the F9 long and straight. I got rid of the Jumbomax grip and put on a standard Jumbo. I am not sure of this helped, but it certainly didn't hinder my swing.

One of my better rounds with the Z-355s. A couple of poor swings, but generally I was hitting them out of the middle. I am not a great cast iron fan usually, but these feel OK.

My short game was mixed. I wasn't consistent on the strike. Putting was solid ,lots of tap in 2nds.

I got out today for an early round. The comp was the usual single Stab. Today's driver show down gave some very clear results, score wise. I did not miss a fairway on the front for 21 points out. Hit only one on the back nine for 16 points coming home.

Driver 1: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 10.5* with Miyazaki c Kua 5S
    Driver 2: Clevleand Launcher DST 9* MR Red 44 vsl Stiff
    Fairway: Cleveland Launcher HB 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Cleveland Launcher HB #3 19*
    Irons: Taylormade PSi 4- PW
    Wedges Yururi 53* & 57*
    Putter: Lajosi Custom Mallet 34"

I was on song with the HB Turbo on the front nine, hitting it pretty much where I aimed it. My striking wasn't perfect, a few lowish on the face strikes, but it did not seem to matter. The Launcher DST (2010) felt pretty good and I was much more out of the middle with it, but I could not keep it on the course! Ironically, the one fairway I hit was the drive of the day for me. Otherwise it was blocks left or toey pulls right. And that cost me as most recoveries were just bunts back into play.

This was my best run with the TM PSis so far. I was quite happy with my striking and I hit plenty of greens with them (nearly all on the front nine though!).

The short game was mixed. Slow, fuzzy greens again. I putted well, but made little. My first run with this version of the Lajosi Custom Mallet. It is a little short for me, but feels really nice rolling the ball.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Daves, you seem to be missing a round from Saturday. Well?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Daves, you seem to be missing a round from Saturday. Well?
    It was a Matchplay round, no comp or official score. I won 3/2.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Congratulations, that's great!

One driver or two?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Congratulations, that's great!

One driver or two?
    Thank you. I bagged two, but only ended up using one (Ping G410 Plus). I kept hitting it up the middle. My opponent was making ridiculous U & Ds, but eventually buckled. I only missed two fairways all day, and managed to square both holes.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 10.5*

Is this better than their previous models?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 10.5*

Is this better than their previous models?
    Which previous models have you tried? It is a super lightweight Driver. Compared to their previous lightweights, it is better imo. But I still like the Classic Series as their best Drivers ever.

I was back out yesterday for our Monthly Medal stroke event. I started with a double and stumbled through the front nine without a par. I was hitting the ball OK most of the time, but could not buy a putt or a bounce. It didn't help that we were being toweled by a couple of Neds off double my handicap. A bit better on the back nine, mainly due to the Driver. I still couldn't buy a putt (till the 16th), so I chipped in on 12 for a Bird. Final result 47/44 =91/77

Driver 1: Taylormade M3 10.5* with Tensei CK 60 S
    Driver 2: Taylormade R15 10.5* with GD ADDI 6x
    Fairway: Taylormade M1 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Taylormade M1 #3 19*
    Irons: Adams A12 Pro 4- PW
    Wedges Yururi 53* & 57*
    Putter: Yes Natalie CS C-B 38"

I started badly with a Toey hook off the 1st, but gradually got the M3 on track. But I never really felt in control. The middle of the face was elusive. I swapped to the R15 on the back and started hitting the ball better. This was my first run with the R15. I had used a 12* version previously, but not the 10.5* head. I liked it and was getting good distance out of it.

I was striking the A12 Pros OK, but not having any luck go with me.

Ditto the short game. I was hitting my spots but not getting the expected bounces and/or run out. I have already mentioned the lack of Putts. I just could not settle on the greens. They had cut them lower and they were a bit quicker, but still slow And now quite grainy, which sounds counter intuitive.

Thread Information