Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 62 FirstFirst ... 38 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 58 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1538
    Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

That should help you narrow down which driver to use......

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Which model Callaway Apex?

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Which model Callaway Apex?
    The originals, 2013s with DGSLs. I bagged them on Saturday and won B grade. I have a 2nd set of heads I must shaft up sometime.
    Last edited by Daves; 16th May 2019 at 01:52 PM.

Some more Stats from over 400 comp rounds I have recorded;

Best Iron Stats;

Iron Brand/Model AVG GIR% AVG Score* No. of Rounds recorded
    Adams CB2s 39% 82.8 5
    Adams XTD Forged 39% 84.2 5
    Cleveland 588CB 33% 85.3 7
    Adams V4 33% 90.3 3
    Nike VR Forged Split Cavities 32% 82.7 3
    Callaway Apex 32% 83.8 15
    Adams MB2 31% 86.5 4
    Cleveland 588TT 30% 84.7 18
    * AVG Score all rounds = 86.6

Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

The above suggests ditching all the others and using just Adams CB2s could shave a few strokes of the handicap.

Though I sense that's not your plan

Since coming back from our travel my short game has felt a little rusty and I was struggling with my ball striking. I worked out my striking issue was I wasn't setting my wrists on take away and therefore was too stiff armed (and not loading the club). This meant my striking was more of a slap. It took me a while to correct, but once I had it reasonably under control I was playing pretty consistently, but not quite finishing it off. Then I broke through a couple of weeks ago with 40 points and won B Grade. But my short game still wasn't were it has been in the past.

On Friday I played the 9 hole Scramble and the penny dropped after I left my glove off for a chip shot. I practice without a glove and have mostly played short shots un-gloved in recent years. For some reason I had gotten into leaving the glove on, and it seemed that it was reducing my touch just enough to matter.

Yesterday's bag

Driver: Mizuno JPX-900 with PL Blue Reg
    Fairway: Mizuno JP -900 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Mizuno JPX-850 19*
    Irons: Mizuno MP54 4 - PW
    Wedges: Yururi Tour 49*, 53* & 57*
    Putter: Bettinardi (Mizuno) C05 38"

On Friday the Bettinardi was still at its original 35" length. It was very solid on shorter putts, but I was struggling with it a bit on long putts. The tendency was to pull the putt trying to hit it harder. I had been contemplating lengthening it to my more normal 38" Counter Balanced set up, so I did the deed on Friday night.

I started with a super solid par on the 1st (Index 2), and just kept it going pretty much all day. The end result was 10 pars, 8 bogeys for an 80 and 41 points, which won B Grade easily.

I drove well and was very solid with my irons, but it was the short game that was back on song. I was hitting it closer and making the up and down more often than not. And the Bettinardi was working beautifully. Super solid inside 10 feet and I was just as solid with my distance control on the long ones, including a 60 footer to make a very scrambled bogey after a couple of poor shots made a wipe look more likely.

The JPX-900 was very solid and straight. I felt very comfortable with it. Only 4 fairways missed, and only due to poor routine on set up.

The MP54s were very solid and I put that down the S300 shafts. They are not shaft that I particularly like the feel of, but I can't argue with the results.

Stats were FIR 71%, GIR 22% Putts 27.

Overall very solid, but I need to start making Birdies again (I made 2 on Friday's 9 hole round).

Club Champs start next week.
    Last edited by Daves; 26th May 2019 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    The above suggests ditching all the others and using just Adams CB2s could shave a few strokes of the handicap.

Though I sense that's not your plan
    On the surface yes and they are very nice clubs to use as well. Yet they did not make a single bag in the list of 10 lowest score rounds (see post #1175). They were in the bag for my 16th lowest score (a 79) and 23rd lowest (also a 79).

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Daves I’d be interested to know your thoughts on club fitting by companies that charge quite a bit for the service. I think you’ve said you MOI match pretty much all of your sets. A club fit might get you 10m or 20m extra on your driver, but it seems like some days you just have a good day & it doesn’t matter what clubs were in the bag. Aside from the MOI match are there any other things you always do to a set when you’re setting them up?

Quote Originally Posted by aussieashley View Post
    Daves I’d be interested to know your thoughts on club fitting by companies that charge quite a bit for the service. I think you’ve said you MOI match pretty much all of your sets. A club fit might get you 10m or 20m extra on your driver, but it seems like some days you just have a good day & it doesn’t matter what clubs were in the bag. Aside from the MOI match are there any other things you always do to a set when you’re setting them up?
    Hi Ash,

I am not sure I can comment on the full fits, I have never had one myself, only single clubs (Drivers). The limited Driver fits I have experienced seemed to be pretty much about correcting any swing defect with adjustments, which may help some but seems to be a short term band aid to me. Given the amount of time usually available for a single club fit, I guess anymore than that isn't really realistic. A full fit should hopefully be about more than that, and allow the time needed to fully match clubs to your swing.

Yes, I MOI match all my clubs other than Putters. Putters I usually extend and Counter Balance as that seems to give me the best match to my putting stroke, height and posture preferences. MOI matching helps me move from club to club more seamlessly. Other than MOI matching, the only other thing I usually do is install or modify the grips to Midsize to suit my preference, With Adjustable Drivers I will often play around with settings in the first practice round, but once I have a feel for it, I tend to set and forget them.

The mechanics of altering a club to match an MOI target is relatively easy if you have an MOI Analyser. But establishing your MOI target is the hard part. For me, I did it by taking variously set up irons to the practice fairway and used what I will call Dynamic Fitting** to find the set ups that gave me the best ball striking and flight. This narrowed it down to a much smaller range and a 2nd session got me to a target MOI. I then built a set at that target and trialed them for a few rounds. The target seemed to be right, so I set it there and it has not changed since. Though I should probably repeat the fit process again when time permits, now that I am a few years down the track (and older!) I found over time that the MOI target also worked for me on Drivers, Fairways and Hybrids, and also Wedges.

One thing I have never done or felt the need to do is to change the lie of my irons. Building my clubs longer and heavier gives me some versatility on grip positions I guess which would help to negate any problems. But I think the main reason it hasn't been an issue for me, is so many irons sets are built so upright as standard these days, that when I lengthen them I am naturally flattening them back to a more neutral lie angle in my swing.

Dynamic Fitting**

Designed originally for Lie Angle Fitting, I found it was also very helpful helpful to me for zeroing in club builds to enhance my ball striking.

Lots more Videos on the subject in this search link;

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+angle+fitting

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Since coming back from our travel my short game has felt a little rusty and I was struggling with my ball striking. I worked out my striking issue was I wasn't setting my wrists on take away and therefore was too stiff armed
    For the short game i have learned to use arms only, no wristcock ( well feels like none) but then the power doesnt come from arms or hands, but by using internal hip rotation. Hard to get my head around that but it works.Result for me is lower flight, more spin, consistency and distance control.

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    For the short game i have learned to use arms only, no wristcock ( well feels like none) but then the power doesnt come from arms or hands, but by using internal hip rotation. Hard to get my head around that but it works.Result for me is lower flight, more spin, consistency and distance control.
    Yes, limited wristcock does work, Phat Phil is an advocate. I have used (and can still in need) the method, but my hips tend to get lazy and then it just becomes an arm swing with all the inherent problems associated. I find a little cupping at takeaway tend to help fire the hips and keep everything on plane/line, giving me more consistent timing and contact. I also found that with "stiff arm" method my tendency was to pull the shot, whereas with wristcock I am (dead) on target more often than not.

I have been playing lots of Comp rounds recently, but I have been slack doing write ups. I have joined the Brisbane Vets which means I am now playing other courses every Monday morning. I used to play other courses quite regularly in previous years, but that had fallen by the wayside for various reasons. I felt it was time to get back to playing some variety and so far it has done my golf no harm at all. My form has been a bit patchy but there have been some solid rounds and the handicap is slowly heading south. The short game is starting to get quite sharp and playing on undulating courses rather than flat as a pancake Reddie Bay is also helping.

I have continued my Bag Rotations and have a few new clubs about to enter the rota including an M3, an M4, and some Srixon irons. There is also a TS3 on order to clear out my Pro Shop account.

My best round in the last 2 months was a Mizuno Bag; JPX-900 Driver & 3 Wood, 850 Hybrid, MP54 irons and Mizuno Bettinardi Putter, closely followed one shot away by a TM Bag; M2 (17) Driver, SLDR 3 Wood and Hybrid, RocketBladez and a Spider Mallet.

The M4s will get tested tomorrow and should be in the bag on Saturday.

The Driver that has surprised me the most recently is a SMT Nemisis 370 9* that I used on Wednesday for only its 2nd outing. If I catch it right it is extra long and very straight. A super small head limits forgiveness a little, but it is still relatively long even on slight mishits. SMT have substantial Long Driver Championship credentials, but the 370 is such as small head it surprises you the way the ball comes off the face. I have a SMT Encore 10* that will get a run very soon to compare.

Sorry for the lack of posts. Between some travel, I have played a series of super soggy courses in recent times, I am struggling to remember the last dry one. McLeod, Keperra, Caboolture and Reddie Bay have all been super wet, though still playable. One issue I have struck with the early Monday Brisbane Vets rounds is most of the courses I have encountered so far don't seem to bother mowing their greens before they play?? I am sort of over the Art Student stubble we seem to mostly have to putt on. I rely on my short game a lot these days and it really gets tested on this fuzzy greens. Still, I have managed to average less than 30 putts a round for the last 7 rounds, the quality of our Reddie Bay greens has been the main contributor to that though.

The wet conditions tend to make meaningful club reviews difficult to quantify. I have been running a TM M3 and an M4, plus a Titleist TS3, but with no run it is hard to compare my data to other Drivers played in dry conditions. I do know the M3 and the TS3 seem to be super straight and I have been catching them out of the middle most of the time. The M4 seems to be longer, but my striking has been a little less precise so far.

I was very skeptical about twist face, given the number of reviews I had seen that seemed to discount the effect. But my experience so far, is that for me it seems to do what they say it does. I can definitely see a correcting effect on off centre hits, particularly on the M4 where my striking hasn't been as good.

We are off to Woodford next Monday for the Vets, followed by Ashgrove, which I have not played before.

Lots of clubs in the "shed" waiting to be fitted to my spec and tested, including some Z-355 and some Becu Eyes 2+s irons.

I saw on GameGolf that you had been travelling around a bit, Daves. Now I know why. It's a shame that the greens aren't cut. A lot of courses don't cut for the Sunday, so I can only imagine how shaggy things are on the Monday.

I played a Stab event yesterday on a gradually drying course.

I had the TS3 in the bag for its 2nd run,
    Driver: Titleist TS3 with PX Evenflow 65s
    Fairway: Titleist 910 Fd 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19*
    Irons: Titleist 710 AP2 4 - PW
    Putter: SC Squareback No. 1 38"

The TS3 continues to be super straight and a real fairway finder. I only missed 2 of 14, and only because of poor swings (trying to hit it too hard into the strong winds). I am yet to really get a feel for its distance potential with very little run out at present. But I did get a couple out there downwind. I suspect the Evenflow shaft is helping with the dispersion, and will test it with another shaft to see if there is any difference in dispersion or distance.

In found it interesting that the TS3, the M3 and the M4 all met my MOI target without modification. Something I had also noticed on other more recent Driver purchases. It seem to me that there is a trend that Drivers are generally getting Heftier.

Finding fairways helped me hit more greens, which I needed to to do because my handicap is now at its lowest point in a while. I ground out 16 points on the outward nine, and was going better on the back nine till I lost a ball off the tee on the 13th??, wiped the hole and lost my momentum.

I traveled up to Woodford on Monday to play this enjoyable country course with the Vets. It was not surprising to find to quite wet and very soggy in places, but it was playable though with little run and the long wet rough was a shot killer.

Driver: TM M3 with Fujikura ATMOS 5 Reg
    Fairway: TM M1 3 Wood
    Hybrid: TM SLDR 17.5*
    Irons: TM 2011 TP CB 4 - PW
    Putter: TM Spider Mallet CS CB 38"

The M3 continues to impress with its accuracy. Bad swings aside, it goes where I aim it and I can shape it when needed.

I started solidly with 3 pars in the first 4, but the greens were a little slow (but true) and we all struggled to make anything of any length. I tried to go a little harder, but started to spray them and spent the rest of the nine getting back on track. The 2nd nine (front) was the opposite, I started badly, steadied the ship and finished strongly, but birds and pars were hard work on the slow greens.

The TP CBS are old favorites. I always enjoy playing them and they were very solid, plus got me an NTP on one of the longer par 3s. But the wet conditions made shot play extra challenging.

My short game was OK, but I needed to get them inside 5 feet if I was to make birdies. I made a few pars and bogeys that way, but
    no birds.

Saturday's round was played in a gusty Westerly, not my favorite wind at anytime.

Driver: Srixon Z565 10.5* with Miyazaki Mizi Tour 5S
    Fairway: Srixon Z355 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Srixon Z355 19*
    Irons: Srixon Z355 4 - PW
    Wedges Yururi 49*, 53* & 57*
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Red X 35"

It was the first runs for both the Z565 Driver and the Z355 irons and both went quite well. Ditto for the Red X Putter. I have always wanted one and finally found one in good nick, at a reasonable price.

The Z565 was very solid first time up. It took me a few swings to get a feel for it, but after that I felt pretty confident with it. The downside was the luck wasn't with me and I ended up dead against a tree 4 times in the round, and only one of them was staked. Ironically, I hit all but one of these shots too well and they ran through the end of fairways into trouble. I now need to do a comparison with the Z765 and the Z355 Drivers. The 565 silhouette looks almost identical to the 355, but it seemed to be very low spin, like the 765.

The 355 irons were also solid. I don't mind the look of these and there is the right amount of GI without spoiling the look or feel.

The Red X never got hot, but then neither did I.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Counting the last 18 greens you've hit at Redland Bay how many putts did you have?

Monday's round was at Ashgrove, my first time around there. A very different course that has suffered the effects of neighbouring development. Apparently the course had to be significantly altered after a unit development was built on the Waterworks Rd boundary right up to the course boundary. Their signature par 5 hole, is now a par 3 and the hole sequence has been changed around. It was bitterly cold and the gusty Westerly just added to the lack of any early sun into the valley.

Driver: Titleist TS3 10.5* with Project X Evenflow
    Fairway: Cobra LD F Speed 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Cobra Max 19*
    Irons: Srixon Z565 4 - PW
    Putter: Odyssey Tank 2 Ball V Line CB 38"

First time out for the Z565 irons and the Odyssey Putter.

This is a really tight course and the TS3 was in the bag for that reason. It performed pretty well, but I didn't in the conditions!

The Z565s look and feel great. I was really happy with the feel, when I hit them well, which wasn't often enough unfortunately! I was tending to over club them. Lots of overshoots to the back or over the greens . it was only when I got home and checked, that I realised that their lofts are quite jacked. Exactly the same as the Z355s and much more GI lofts than Players.

I really struggled on the greens. Unlike most Vet rounds these had been mowed and they were quite dry and quick. Add to that some severe pins and a brownish cover that disguised the break very well and we were all quite lost on them, even the home club player!

Whilst the course is quirky, compressed and short, I would not mind playing it again as it is quite different and presents its own unique challenges. The greens are generally very small and pushed up. Lots of false fronts, sides and backs.Being above the hole was often not a good idea! I wouldn't like to be playing it every week though!

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    I wouldn't like to be playing it every week though!
    I played several times a few years ago as part of, or practicing for Brisbane Pennant. They had a decent membership option, when I was looking a couple of months back, that included 20 rounds, but that seemed like an awful lot of times to play there in a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Counting the last 18 greens you've hit at Redland Bay how many putts did you have?
    Last 18 Reddie GIRs = 39 putts, 15 x 2, and 3 x 3.

Last Wednesday's round was a Back Marker Stroke. I started OK, but gradually crumbled with "Lost Ball Syndrome". We spent so much time looking for lost balls, I think I lost interest in the end. The break point came when we spent a couple of minutes looking for my own ball where I was told it had gone, only to find it where I thought it was but had not yet checked. The joy of playing with old farts!

Driver: TM M4 10.5* with Tensei CK 60 Stiff
    Fairway: TM M4 3 Wood
    Hybrid: TM 2017 M1 19*
    Irons: Srixon Z355 4 - PW
    Putter: TM TP Collection Ardmore 35"

The first time out with a different shaft in the M4. I definitely prefer the Tensei. I may get a yard or 2 extra out of the ATMOS, but I feel much more in control with the Tensei.

The Z355 continue to impress. The Z565s feel better, but the 355s are just as effective.

My short game was mixed, but I putted very well with the Ardmore. It just feels "natural" for me and works at the standard 35" without my usual lengthen and counter balance treatment.

I did a bit of thinking after Wednesday's round. I had made a Birdie on Wednesday which was my first for a while (8 rounds). I wasn't giving myself the opportunities and it struck me that in hunting fairways hit, I had lost considerable distance. This had been disguised by the wet conditions of a few week ago, but was now apparent on the drier courses. So during Friday's practice round I tried to find my distance again. My back swing has become quite abbreviated in recent years. Partly chasing control, and partly protecting my back. I lengthened my swing and widened my arc as much as possible and it worked pretty well. But boy did I feel it the next morning! So I loaded up with Anti-inflammatories and opened the shoulders during Saturday's round. It was a 4BBB Stroke, and the qualifying for our 4BBB Matchplay finals (The President's Cup).

Driver: TM M3 with Tensei CK 60 Stiff
    Fairway: TM M4 3 Wood
    Hybrid: TM 2017 M2 19*
    Irons: Srixon Z565 4 - PW
    Putter: SC Golo 5 Dual Balance CB 38"

Boom! the distance was back, plus some! So much so that it became a problem at times because I was going long into trouble I usually can't reach. I started solidly but had a triple on the 3rd but then parred the next 3 to recover. Only to double the last 3 for 45 to the turn. I gradually got control on the back and was looking like a sub 40 back nine till I tripled the 17th. My score was pretty average but we combined pretty well for a nett 61 to make the finals this coming Saturday.

The M3 was very solid. I only missed 3 fairways and those were all from pulls from too fast a transition on my lengthened swing. My average/typical drives on the day was 10m+ on my long term average. And I think there will be more there over time, if my back holds up!

The extra distance was also evident in my irons. I was hitting them better than a full club longer, and the flight was way better too. I am really liking the Z565s. They feel terrific and look great.

Again my short game was mixed, but I putted solidly.

Yesterday's Vets round was at Pacific. A course I don't mind (except in Summer when it can be suffocating hot!), but have never done well on. I decided it was going to be a (slightly) retro day with the bag;

Driver: TM Burner Superfast 10.5*
    Fairway: TM Burner Superfast 3 Wood
    Hybrid: TM Jetspeed 19*
    Irons: TM Burner 2.0 4 - PW
    Putter: TM Spider Ghost 38"

I started like a house on fire. The Driver distance was there again and my iron play was deadly early. We started on the 10th and I was even par through the first 6 holes, with 2 birds in that. But the luck went south from there. A booming drive down the left side on the 16th bounced 90 degrees sideways into the water hazard and I never recovered from there.

The Burner went well for a while, but I lost my swing a bit and was hitting too many out of the toe. I was still hitting fairways for the most part, but lost a bit of my distance as I started missing the middle of the face. I reckon I can probably hit the Superfast a touch longer than the M3 & M4 but the forgiveness is noticeably less.

The Burner Irons were solid and felt pretty good. They stand up against their modern equivalents pretty well still.

My short game was OK, but my putting was off. It wasn't noticeable early when I was hitting them close, but as the putting got more challenging, I really struggled with distance control on the slick greens (yes, they had been mown!). My own fault, I should have changed the grip on the Spider. I had lengthened it but still had the original TM grip on it. It really needs a CB 15" and that will go on today!

Another round of Grist for the Mill stuff. It was a Stableford at Reddie Bay with a mate who had not played for quite a while. We ended up as just a after last minute pull outs by members that had been down to play on the booking sheet for almost a fortnight, Grrrr!

Driver: Ping G400 LST with Ping Tour Reg
    Fairway: Ping G Series 14.5* Wood
    Hybrid: Ping G400 19*
    Irons: Ping E1 4 - PW
    Putter: Ping G5- Craz-E C CS CB 38"

My driving was almost faultless. I only missed one fairway and that was a slight push left when I got a little wristy. It still went long and was in play. Everything else went pretty much where I aimed it, and long. I wasn't trying to smash the cover off the ball, but I was focusing on getting a long wide swing arc, and it worked very well. Every drive came pretty much out of the middle. I did open the shoulders down the last and belted one out close to 250m. It has been a while since I have been able to do that!

But I wasn't able to capitalise on my good driving because my iron play was off. I had a case of the pulls and just could not tame it. Only 2 GIR and not many close misses. so I spent my time mostly trying to get up and down from bad positions and lies on the right sides. I managed it on the first for a very solid opening par, but struggled to do it regularly.

I had a CB long putter back in my hands and it made a huge difference. My distance control was near perfect, nothing worse than a 2 putt and lot of kick ins inside a few inches. The problem was I was rarely close enough to have a real birdie chance.

I am off to the range tomorrow to try and sort out my irons!

Thread Information