Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 62 FirstFirst ... 5 45 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 1538
    Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Can you compare the Titleist U510 against a Mizuno H4?

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Steve57 View Post
    Maybe it is the offset on the Apex compared to the Apex Pro's is what you like?
    I don't normally have any issues with little or no offset in my other players irons e.g. X Forged. It may be the shafts (KBS Tour V 110s), they just give me harsh/hard feel feedback irrespective of where I catch them on the face. And it isn't even that I can't hit them, I seem to be able to golf them OK, but they feel shite for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Can you compare the Titleist U510 against a Mizuno H4?
    I haven't tried a H4 as yet.

I would say the U510 4i flies like a regular 6i, perhaps even higher, but it goes 3/4i length, for me anyway.

Looking at the two, they are quite different designs. There is lots of help in the U510 and it has a very wide sole. I looks a little like a Cleveland MT 588, or a Ping Driving Iron (Crossover).

I will put it in the bag for Friday, so you can see it in action. I think I saw that perci had one recently as well?

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    I don't normally have any issues with little or no offset in my other players irons e.g. X Forged. It may be the shafts (KBS Tour V 110s), they just give me harsh/hard feel feedback irrespective of where I catch them on the face. And it isn't even that I can't hit them, I seem to be able to golf them OK, but they feel shite for me.
    Ok it does sound like shafts then in that case.
    I have the same problem with KBS C Tapers yet $ Tapers are fine, go figure!
    Golflink

WITB
    Ping G400 SFT 12* Accra ST55 Tour Z M5
    Srixon Z355 17* FW Miyazaki Jinsoku S
    RBZ Black 3 HY 19* Rocketfuel 65S
    Srixon Zu65 3 20* Nippon NS Pro 980GH
    Srixon Z765 S300 4-PW
    Tourstage X Wedge 54/10, 58/12
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red CS 35"

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

I haven't tried a H4 as yet.

I would say the U510 4i flies like a regular 6i, perhaps even higher, but it goes 3/4i length, for me anyway.

Looking at the two, they are quite different designs. There is lots of help in the U510 and it has a very wide sole. I looks a little like a Cleveland MT 588, or a Ping Driving Iron (Crossover).

I will put it in the bag for Friday, so you can see it in action. I think I saw that perci had one recently as well?
    Ta

Quote Originally Posted by Steve57 View Post
    Ok it does sound like shafts then in that case.
    I have the same problem with KBS C Tapers yet $ Tapers are fine, go figure!
    The shafts in the X Forged are also KBS Tours, but no mention of V or 110 on the label. The step pattern is identical, so I assume they are a prior version. I even tried a different ball (Srixon Soft Feel) but it made no real difference to the "feel".

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

The shafts in the X Forged are also KBS Tours, but no mention of V or 110 on the label. The step pattern is identical, so I assume they are a prior version. I even tried a different ball (Srixon Soft Feel) but it made no real difference to the "feel".
    The difference between the C Tapers and the $ Tapers are like chalk and cheese, you couldn’t believe that they were made by the same manufacturer!
    Golflink

WITB
    Ping G400 SFT 12* Accra ST55 Tour Z M5
    Srixon Z355 17* FW Miyazaki Jinsoku S
    RBZ Black 3 HY 19* Rocketfuel 65S
    Srixon Zu65 3 20* Nippon NS Pro 980GH
    Srixon Z765 S300 4-PW
    Tourstage X Wedge 54/10, 58/12
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red CS 35"

Back out on Saturday for another single Stab. I was super consistent without getting a real roll on at any stage. I ended up with 36pts (16/20). 13 x 2 pointers, 1 x 3, 1 x 4, and 3 x 1.

Driver: Mizuno ST-180 10.5* with PL Blue Reg
    Fairway: Titleist 910F 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Nickent 3DX 17*
    Irons: Cobra Forged TEC Steel 5 - PW, Titleist U510 4i
    Wedges TM RSi1 50*, 53* & 57*
    Putter: SC Futura 7M C-B 38"

The St-180 was pretty solid. I didn't hit a lot of fairways, but my misses were mostly marginal. It did go too long for me a couple of times, running out of room. I was getting good distance with it, even into the wind. You have to work at it with the Mizzy, but it rewards the extra effort. I am enjoying playing it and slowing working out how it fits into my game. I have an F9 on the way and will be keen to compare the two.

The Forged TECs were solid, but I need to improve my GIR stats if I want to go to the next level.

My short game was pretty warm. I broke a few spirits in the 4 ball match we played. And my putting back it up (27) with a birdie putt from 10ths fringe the highlight of the day.

I again tried a different ball, this time a Srixon Distance. It performed pretty well, though it isn't the most durable of balls.

I teed up Friday in the monthly Black Marker Challenge with a few Ozgolfers. It ended up being a full hackfest for 3 of us. My first shot was a blocked Drive down the first that we never found (hole wiped) and the 2nd another block up the left side of the 2nd that apparently hit a Tree Root, went sideways and finished dead up against (the other side!?) of a tree butt, sitting on/against a protruding tree root. After calculating the distance back to the car park, I decided instead to play out the hole and managed to squeeze out a point. But it never really got any better than that. Regular drizzle and a gusty Southerly added to the "enjoyment". Luckily the company was good, though somewhat less buoyant than usual!

Driver: Ryoma Maxima D1 - Type D 10.5* with Prolaunch Axis Red 60S
    Fairway: TM M6 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Srixon Z-65 #3 19*
    Irons: Cobra S3 Forged Pro Combo 5 - PW, Titleist U510 4i
    Putter: SC Golo 5 Dual Balance CB 38"

I struggled with direction with Driver for a while, though I was actually striking it somewhere near the middle most of the time. I got it under some sort of control on the back nine, but the damage was done. It wasn't even that I was hitting it wildly, it just seemed to end up in a shite lie most of the time.

I never really got going with the S3s, and as the round went on my swing became a little erratic as I tried to chase some sort of form.

But the biggest issue for us all was on the greens. We just could not come to grips with the pace. They were much slower than they looked (and they looked good for the most part). And some nasty pin positions didn't help.

Saturday got washed out, so my next round was the return of the Brisbane Vets at Virginia GC. Virginia was in way better condition than the last time we played there (February). I was thereabouts most of the day without quite being able to get into top gear. In the end I accumulated 35points ( 17/18 ).

Driver: Callaway XR Pro with Prolaunch Blue Reg
    Fairway: Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Gold Proto 18*
    Irons: Taylormade PSi 4 - PW
    Putter: SC Golo Select CB 38"

I was very solid with the XR Pro and hit some of my best results with it so far. It felt as good as any of my Drivers and I had good confidence with it. Distance was very good and I was mostly straight, with only the odd (very solid) block left spoiling my accuracy.

The PSis are new arrivals. I already have RSi ( 1 & 2) and the PSis are very similar heads to the RSi2s. However these came with C Tapers, whereas the RSi2s have Matrix Program F15s, so I expected them to feel different. But there wasn't a lot in it. I was hitting them pretty solid, but I was getting the occasional straight block right flight, which had me puzzled. It isn't a shot result I get a lot. To add to the confusion, I also hit the odd pull, my traditional bad shot. I played the RSi2s yesterday (see coming report) and didn't get anything similar happening. So I m putting it down to either the shafts? or possibly the PSi lies are too flat?

My short game was solid and I made a few good putts, but I also had a few lipouts and a couple that bounced back out off the flag stick.

The next round was a single Stab at Reddie Bay on Wednesday. I started solidly, but stumbled a couple of times for 17 pts with back to back wipes on the front. No wipes on the back, but too many 1s for 16 pts coming home and 33 total.

Driver: Taylormade M610.5* with Fujikura ATMOS 5 Stiff
    Fairway: Cobra F Max 3 Wood
    Hybrid: PXG 0371 #3 19*
    Irons: Nike Vapor Fly 4 - PW
    Putter: Rife Barbados C-B 38"

I was a bit mixed with the M6, and in the end missed too many fairways in the wrong places. I made a some good recoveries, but couldn't keep it going.

The Vapors Flys went OK. They are a fairly large head compared to say the TM PSi/RSi2, but look pretty good at address and feel good off the face.

I scrambled pretty hard and my U & D and Sand stats were good. Putted with little luck for 31 jabs.

Last edited by Daves; 28th June 2020 at 07:56 PM.

We were back out on Friday on a glorious Qld winter morning. It was a bit more of the same for me scoring wise, I ended up with 33pts ( 15/18 ) again, but this time there were no wipes, all 4s and 5s bar a finishing 6 on each nine.

Driver: jBeam FX BM 435 10* with Crazy YZ Yamzaki SR
    Fairway: Adams Fast 11 Ti 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Mizuno JPX Fli Hi 19*
    Irons: Taylormade PSi 4 - PW
    Putter: Yes Natalie CS C-B 38"

The jBeam went really well for me. I was belting it extra long and it felt great. I have been changing my Driver Grips to Jumbo size Deshampoo style, and it seems to be working most of the time.

But I struck the same problem with the PSis i.e. blocks left and that damaged my scoring opportunities.

And my short game was not on enough to make up for the bad irons misses. I putted without luck for another 31 jabs round.

Back out again yesterday for another single Stab at Reddie Bay. And a continuation of my recent scoring patterns. This time my 33pts came via 19pts the front with a wipe, and 14 coming home with 2 wipes. My problem was off the tee. I started OK but started to struggle with my swing consistency and my lack of patience.

Driver: Cobra King F9 Speedback 10.5* with PL Blue Stiff
    Fairway: Cleveland Classic XL 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Titleist 915 Hd 17.5*
    Irons: Taylormade RSi 4 - PW
    Putter: SC Kombi C-B 37"

The F9 arrived Friday. I was keen to try it and threw it straight in the bag untried. I have to say I struggled a little with it. It felt great off the faced, but I wasn't hitting the centre of the face enough with it. And as I tried harder and got too mechanical, my swing started to falter. Even so I have to say I was a little underwhelmed by it. Even when I struck it well, it wasn't particularly long. Obviously more experimenting needed, but a little disappointed. I would take the F8 over it on first impressions.

The RSi2s didn't duplicate the blocks left that I got out of the PSis. Shot of the day was a 165m 5i into the wind to 4 feet on the 4th for an easy bird. They did suffer from my swing hiccups lat in the round, but were generally pretty solid most of the day.

My short game was mixed. Either very good or very ordinary. I putted very well but again had lipouts and flagstick bump outs go against me for 30 jabs this time.

Yesterday was a Brisbane Vets round at Caboolture. This was my second time around this layout. The course had obviously got some good rain on the weekend, and it looked better than my first round there. But there were still plenty of bare spots, and the greens grass looked to be in its dormant phase, very brown and not much growth/ friction evident. I started poorly score wise, stymied by casual water approaches and poor (impatient) putting. I struggled through the front nine for 14 pts. A better start on the back, another putting hiccup on the long 13th and then I started playing proper golf and came home over the rest in even par for 22 points, 36 total which got me runner up in A Grade..

Driver: Ping G30 SF Tec 12* with Alta Blue Reg
    Fairway: Callaway 2015 BB 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Titleist 913 Hd 18*
    Irons: Titleist 716 AP2 4 - PW
    Putter: Taylormade Spider Mallet 74 CS CB 38"

I needed to reset my driving and the G30 SFT is always the answer for that. It is so easy to hit and just feels right. It isn't particularly long, though I can get it out there when needed. And it is so easy to shape as required. Whilst I didn't hit every fairway, I put it pretty much where I aimed it each time so it didn't matter.

My iron striking wasn't my best. It wasn't poor, but there were too many pulls right and toey hits compared with my usual striking with the AP2s. Nevertheless I exceeded my normal GIR stats and was there abouts most of the time.

The short game was where the early damage was done and where the resurgence came from. Everyone in the group got stymied by the wet approaches. You could not see where the water that had pooled in front of the greens until you were up close. Bump and runs stopped dead and you ended up with the inevitable mud balls (no Pref Lies in play) just to make it a little more difficult. And I could not read the greens, some broke, other didn't and the pace was quite variable. I had 20 putts on the front but only 14 coming home, and only 6 over the last 5 holes. So I worked the out eventually, but it was very frustrating for much of the round. Basically I stopped going through the putt read motions and went back to feel putting and started sinking them.

Back to Reddie Bay for an American Stab event yesterday. The Computer worked out our scoring and I ended up with 50pts, 10 behind the winner. Under conventional Stab it equated to 32pts, one wipe.

Driver: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo with Miyazaki c Kua 5S
    Fairway: Cleveland Launcher Steel 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Cleveland H3 Mashie 20.5*
    Irons: Cleveland 588 CB 4 - PW
    Putter: Cleveland Smart Square Mallet C-B 38"

I have been wanting to try the HB Turbo for a while. It gets good reviews and I usually like Cleveland Drivers a lot. And it did not disappoint. It does look very Ping like and is quite similar to the SFT models imo, which isn't a bad thing. It performed really well. I barely missed a fairway and when I did it was user error. It is super consistent on distance, and averaged well above the norm, partly because there were no bad shots to drag the averaged down. And it is very forgiving. My bad shot was a high toe strike. I felt it and the feedback was good, but there was little loss in performance. And it can be sneaky long when you want to step on it. The face sits slightly closed, yet I did not a single shot right all day with it. It looks great at address, with its "Turbulator like" Fins making great alignment lines. It is often tagged as loud, but I didn't really notice. It is a bit Ping sounding though, which will divide some.

The Mashie was great, I really enjoyed it. It launches very high which is also useful. And it makes a great off green putter!

My iron striking isn't great at the moment and that continued yesterday. But it was also quite mixed. Strangely I was striking the longer irons well and struggling for accuracy with the short irons. I am hitting too many out of the toe at present and need to fix this before it starts dragging down my game. The 588s were great. They are classic Cleveland irons and still look good.

First time out for the Smart Square Mallet. Not the prettiest putter around, but it was very effective on the day (28 Putts).

Saturday's round was another American Stab at Reddie Bay. I was very steady, 54 points which was 36pts ( 18/18 ) under normal Stableford scoring.

Driver: Cobra King F9 Speedback 10.5* with HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 Stiff
    Fairway: Cobra LD F Speed 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Cobra Baffler Pro 20*
    Irons: Cobra Fly Z 4 - PW
    Wedges Mizuno JPX 50*, 53* & 57*
    Putter: Never Compromise Sub 30 Type 50 C-B 38"

My second outing with the Speedback and we got on much better this time. I put the stock shaft back in and it felt much better. I presume it is the counter balancing that was making the difference? Perhaps I need to back-weight some non balanced driver shafts and see if it makes a difference? Plus I just remembered I have some Shotmaker inserts in the cupboard I should probably drag out and install. It went pretty much where I aimed it and was quite long at times. I struggled a little to move it L to R, though my first drive of the day was a nice little draw down the 1st. I was more comfortable hitting little fades where I could.

I really enjoyed the Baffler Pro. They are still one of the best Hybrids I own.

I was solid with the Fly Zs, without going to the next level. My irons swing is still my game weak point at times. Blustery Westerlies didn't help, but I need to lift my GIR stat if I am to go lower.

The short game was warm and I putted well for 28 jabs total. Highlight of the day was hitting my drive too long on 11, ending up hanging on the edge of the hazard with a very awkward lie, but only 90m out. I concocted a shot with a 5i that got the ball onto the green fringe, pin high and sunk the 20+ footer for a bird.

Monday's Brisbane Vets' round was at Meadowbrook (Logan City). My first time round this course and I won't be in a hurray to go back. To be fair to the Lessees, they have obviously spent a lot of money and made a lot of improvements, and continue to do so, but it is still fundamentally a goat track without fairway watering. The layout we played (10 to 27) was pretty average for the most part. The greens were probably the best feature though lots of jumbos had been sacrificed in their construction. And there was weed couch evident on many that had taken over completely on a few. It was very coarse leafed and super grainy. Putting was a real challenge, hence 37 points won the day, despite the fairly benign layout. I ended up with 28pts (12/16) with 3 wipes. The low slope and par rating meant I was playing with 3 shots less than my recent rounds.

Driver: Ping G30 10.5* with Alidal NVS 55 Reg
    Fairway: Ping G Series 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Ping G Series #2 17*
    Irons: Ping i20 4 - PW
    Putter: Ping Ketsch Straight Arc C-B 38"

I was pretty solid with the G30, though it never quite felt right. Perhaps it was the light weight shaft? I had in it, though I think the stock Altas are around 55g as well if I remember correctly. Might be a back weight candidate?

I struggled with the I20s and never got comfortable with them. I was thereabouts most of the time, but hit few out of the centre.

The short game and putting were not up to my usual standard. The greens were certainly a factor and the dry rough fairway into wet approachs and surrounds (which do have irrigation) caught us out more often than not. I actually putted OK, but there were some pretty brutal breaks in play. I played with the winner and he had 3 x 4 pointers (an eagle and two birds where he hit them dead) and he still only managed 37 points.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Seems you are liking the "bafflers". I am still wondering what makes these work. Is it the actual rails, or simply the fact that its more weight down low.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Seems you are liking the "bafflers". I am still wondering what makes these work. Is it the actual rails, or simply the fact that its more weight down low.
    You are probably asking the wrong person, because I bagged these for a long time, so familiarity comes into the equation. I think the rails are a factor from some lies, the worse the lie, the better they seem to work. They also have always felt well weighted, though they are now MOI matched, like all my clubs. But I think the face also comes into it. They have always felt/sounded good. My favorite 3 wood is a Cobra from the same era, an LD F Speed (no rails) with a cheap stock NVS made for. It is noisy, but the strikes always feel really good. I like the Bafflers so much, I have a spare set, still in the plastic, as reserves.

Last Saturday's round was a Month Medal comp, our first for quite a while. I had a horror day and racked up my worst score for quite a while. I ended up with 96/84.

Driver: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 10.5* with Miyazaki c Kua 5S
    Fairway: Cobra LD Speed F/St 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Tour Edge Hot Launch #3 19*
    Irons: Adams CB3 with Matrix Program 8.1 Stiff
    Putter: Medicus CM2i CS Mallet C-B 38"

My driver swing got me into all sorts of trouble early, all pull rights. Then trying to correct it saw over-corrections for a while. I steadied it, but the pressure to try and recover my score built and I had a couple of bad stumbles mixed with some very solid holes. My good drivers were really good, and may bad drives were ugggh!

In all of that the Speed 3 Wood performed very well. I have two of the LDs, an F and this one. The F is a long time fav, but the F/St was very impressive in a otherwise pretty shitty round.

The CB3s were also solid. But I couldn't stop hitting bad pulls at the wrong time in this round. Whilst it was only occasionally, they cost me dearly.

The short game never really got going. My putting was solid, but I made nothing of any length.

I was back out yesterday for a Single Stab Comp. I started solidly and played some good golf through the front nine for 17pts. My back nine start was mixed , a very good par followed by a double bogey wipe. But after that I was on and I played the remaining 7 holes in one over for 21 points the back, and 38 total. I was winning A grade till the last cards went in, so had to settle for R/Up.

Driver: Taylormade Burner Superfast 10.5* with Matrix Ozik Xcon 4.8R
    Fairway: Callaway Epic 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Adams DHY Pro 18*
    Irons: Taylormade Speedblades 4 - PW
    Wedges Speedblade 50*, 53* & 57*
    Putter: SC Futura 5CB C-B 38"

I wasn't swing the Driver great, but I had somewhat fixed my alignment and was hitting them straight and in the general directions I was aiming them. The Burner felt good. Still probably one of the best Drivers TM has made over the years. I have 2.0 version I must throw in the bag again soon.

The Epic 3 Wood was a real weapon all day. I was often hitting it as far or further than my drives.

I can always rely on the Speedblades to perform. They were super solid. My GIRs were above average and a lot of approach shots ended up close on the fringe. Where the short game took over. I think I was also 100% out of the sand. 28 putts, and lots of tap ins.

Sorry for the Hiatus. Too many rounds of late that I would rather forget.

I will record what I can remember for continuity, but there was only a few rounds where I felt that clubs' performances weren't over shadowed by my poor tempo/rhythm.

Sorry for the Hiatus. Too many rounds of late that I would rather forget.

I will record what I can remember for continuity, but there was only a few rounds where I felt that clubs' performances weren't over shadowed by my poor tempo/rhythm.
    Friday 17th July was a hackfest for our group in the Black & White Marker. Except for Blakey, but we managed to drag him down to our level by the end!

Driver: jBeam FX BM 435 10* with Crazy YZ Yamazaki SR
    Fairway: Cleveland FL Launcher 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Tour Prototype 18*
    Irons: Taylormade 2017 M2 4 - PW

I managed to wipe the first from the middle of the fairway and it didn't get lot better from there! In the end I somehow managed to accumulate 25pts (14/11) with 4 wipes. The only good part of my game was my putting (27), the score could have been much worse otherwise! I just had no consistent rhythm.

I was back out the next day (Saturday) for what I thought was going to be a social round at The Palms SC, but we ended up in a comp. So I will record the round. I didn't change my bag due to lack of time in the turnaround, so same clubs as Friday's round;

I played better but not by a great deal. I was bouncing from pars to triples. Consistency was non existent. In the end I managed 30 pts. Started with par, finished par, par, but there was a lot of shite in between.

Driver: jBeam FX BM 435 10* with Crazy YZ Yamazaki SR
    Fairway: Cleveland FL Launcher 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Tour Prototype 18*
    Irons: Taylormade 2017 M2 4 - PW

Last edited by Daves; 4th August 2020 at 09:26 AM.

Monday's round was a Vets round at Gailes. A course I never quite seem to get on with. I was hitting the ball a lot better, but kept getting bent over regularly. Great drive down the middle on the first, only to end up in the middle of a unfilled divot on the down slope, Scrambled a bogey. Hit a great drive on the 2nd, only the find my ball had rolled 70m back down the fairway slope. Hit a great hybrid 2nd only to find the same thing had happened in the next gully. Hit my third to the middle of the green, but then 3 putted on the un-mown scrag of a green for another bogey and on it went. Final tally was 23pts! (11/12).

Driver: Ping G30 LS Tec 10.5* with Alta Blue Reg
    Fairway: Titleist 910 Fd 3 Wood
    Hybrid: PXG 0371 19*
    Irons: Nike Vapor Speed 4 - PW
    Putter: Yes Stacey 12 CS C-B 38"

I hit plenty of fairways and greens but could not score to save myself. 37 putts told the story, nothing made and lots of three putts.

Thread Information