Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 1000 AUD, Received: 650 AUD (65%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 62 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 31 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Daves, what are your thoughts on the SLDR Hybrid and the Speedblade 4 iron?
    Driver - TM R11S 10.5
    Fwy - TM Rocketballz Tour 3 14.5
    Irons -
    TM Burner 2.0 3-PW
    Wedges –
    TM ATV 56 and 60
    Putter -
    TM Fontana Ghost (JDM Spec)
    Ball:
    Titleist NXT Tour
    Bag
    TM Hybrid Stand bag
    Shoes -
    Footjoy DryJoys

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Hamo84 View Post
    Daves, what are your thoughts on the SLDR Hybrid and the Speedblade 4 iron?
    The SLDR is set at 17.5*, so more a #2, than 3. Speedblade is 20*.

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    Tomorrow's bag;

Driver: Adams Super LS with Aldila NVS K Reg
    Fairway: Cleveland Launcher
    Hybrid: Adams A12 Pro 16*, TM SLDR #3
    Irons: Adams A4 with Matrix Studios, TM Speedblade 4i
    Wedges: Yururi 53* & 61*
    Putter: Nike Method Concept 36.5"
    Ball: TM TP (2015)
    Buggy: CrockGear
    Better golf yesterday. I started to work out my iron swing and hit more greens accordingly.

I made a late change to the Super LS. I original fitted a Kuro Kage shaft, after having found the PL Blue feeling heavy and firm in a practice round. But after some thought I put in a Aldila NVS K (Japanese flex) shaft which was one of the main stock shafts on the Fast 12 LS. When I checked, I found the Super and the Fast 12 LS head weighed the same, which surprised me, but made sense when I thought about the design evolution. The combo went very well. I hit plenty of fairways, was able to shape it, and it was long. I suspect the Fast 12 is still perhaps slightly longer, but there wouldn't be a lot in it.

With somewhat of a revival of my iron swing emerging during the round, the A4s helped me getting it going. Really liking this combination of head and shaft.

This was the first run for the Nike concept and it went well. I didn't have quite the confidence in it, that I do with my Centre Shafts, but it was close. Only one 3 putt green yesterday, and that was was due to pilot error (didn't follow routine), not the putter. 31 putts was OK, though it is the first time I have exceeded 30 in a quite few rounds now. Partly a reflection of more GIRs and more 2 putts (rather than U & D 1 putts).

Tomorrow's bag;

Driver: Cobra Fly Z with PL Blue Reg
    Fairway: Cobra LD F Speed
    Hybrid: Cobra Baffler 16* & 18*
    Irons: Cobra AMP 5 - PW. Cobra Bio Cell + 4i
    Putter: Yes Stacey 12 CS Mallet 36"
    Ball: TBD
    Buggy: TBD

Tomorrow's bag;

Driver: Cobra Fly Z with PL Blue Reg
    Irons: Cobra AMP 5 - PW. Cobra Bio Cell + 4i
    Ball: TM TP (2015), Topflite Game V2
    Ugggh golf yesterday! It was Monthly Medal day 280! ish field, and the green were much quicker. A recipe for slow golf, and we ended up as a 3, so it was slow torture all day! 5 and 1/4 hours later it was over. I knew it was going to be one of those days when I twice had to hit out sideways on the 3rd hole. It was just a grind from there, and pars just weren't happening. It took till the 7th for me to final make one!

I struggled to aim the Fly Z. The face looked really closed, which I don't recall when I used it previously? First time with this shaft and adapter, so maybe it was the setup? Will check further when I get a chance. I also noticed the face marked up a fair bit, and it doesn't easily rub off. The closed face lead to a few hooky pulls, and hits out sideways. I was actually hitting it well otherwise. They were mostly coming out of the middle, and going long. I was also able to hit some baby cuts when I needed to, something I struggle with at times with other drivers.

The face angle confusion leaked into other clubs as well. The Speed LD is also a slightly closed face club, and the Baffler Pros can be hooky at times as well. I was in hook avoidance mode, so lost a few to the left with pushes/late cuts.

Despite all this, I was still striking the ball quite solidly, but the stop start golf just mucked my tempo up completely for a while. I started counting off a tempo in my head towards the end, which seemed to settle it a bit. I really struggle with standing around waiting for 5 to 10 minutes, and then not rushing my shot when I finally get to hit.

My short game was a little off at times as well, again a tempo issue where I just seemed to rush the shot at times. I did hit some really nice wedges as well though.

The greens were significantly faster and some pins were in interesting positions, so putting was different to the bash the ball at the hole it has been. I actually putted pretty well, but didn't seem to make as many, and I missed a couple of short ones, rushing the putt. Including one impatient reach across pull from inside 3 feet, that should have been an easy par putt.
    Last edited by Daves; 10th April 2016 at 09:01 AM.

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

They must have mowed it fairly short cos they were a bit shaggy and slow on friday evening when I was there. Although given that was my first visit for a month maybe they were not compared to what they had been.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyD View Post
    They must have mowed it fairly short cos they were a bit shaggy and slow on friday evening when I was there. Although given that was my first visit for a month maybe they were not compared to what they had been.
    I thought theywere quicker on Friday than they had been, which isn't saying a lot. Quicker again yesterday, and less bumpy.
    Last edited by Daves; 12th April 2016 at 02:50 PM.

Tomorrow's bag selection;

Driver: Cobra ZL Encore 10.5* with Aldila NVS Reg
    Irons: Cobra Bio Cell + 4 - PW.

Driver: Cobra ZL Encore 10.5* with Aldila NVS Reg
    Wednesday's round ended up being a 4BBB, so I didn't record anything. The bag will get a proper run tomorrow. One change; the ZL Encore went OK but was a touch spinny. I need to makes some mods to it to get the spin down, so have swapped in a ZL 9.5* head instead.

Senior Member Major Winner

4 rounds of golf at Champs Dave. Will we see a new setup every day?

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    4 rounds of golf at Champs Dave. Will we see a new setup every day?
    At least a couple.

Driver: Cobra ZL 9.5* with Aldila NVS Reg
    Ball: TM Tp & Gamer V2
    Buggy: Smoothy Micro Suspension
    I played Husband Golf yesterday, I couldn't do a thing right all day!

I was striking the ZL quite well, but direction control was my problem. I had a case of the pulls, not badly but just enough to get me into trouble on a number of holes.

The pulls were also evident through the bag, just enough to miss in the wrong spots. I tried to hit fades to compensate, but mostly didn't get my distance control right. And I was spinning the ball as well, so shots that came up short, stopped pretty much where they landed. I changed to the Gamer on the 2nd 9 to lower the spin and it worked a little, but by that time the damage was done.

I even managed to hit a couple of Jordan wedges! And my usually reliable putting was missing right edge all day. A round to forget!

Driver: Nike VR S Covert 2.0 with PL Blue Reg
    Fairway: Nike VR S 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Nike VR S #2 18*
    Irons: VR Pro Blades 5 - PW, VR Forged Cavity 3i & 4i

Driver: Nike VR S Covert 2.0 with PL Blue Reg
    Fairway: Nike VR S 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Nike VR S #2 18*
    Irons: VR Pro Blades 5 - PW, VR Forged Cavity 3i & 4i
    Ball: Topflite Game V1
    Solid golf yesterday, I struck the ball pretty solidly for most of the day.

The Covert went very well. It isn't super long, but it was consistently long and straight. I only missed one fairway all day. My previous experience with this driver saw everything go left, it was a fade machine. Previously it had been used with the stock shaft (a Kuro Kage). I decided to fit up a couple of my standard PL shafts to try. In doing so I noticed it was swing weighting very high, some trial and error saw it shortened to 44.75", which gave a D4 SW. This seemed to work pretty well on course, set at Neutral 10.5*. I will definitely give this club some more bag time, and do some further experimenting with settings. I also have version 1, which seems to have a deeper face, so it will be an interesting comparison.

The VR Pro Blades are beautiful irons and this is one of my favorites sets, along with the Cobra S3 Pro Combos. I have a full set of the Blades, a Combo set, and a set of the Forged Cavities, so I can mix and match various combos. The blades aren't hugely forgiving, but a bit more than you would think. My ball striking seems to improve when I play them, maybe I focus a bit more with them? Yesterday they were coming right out of the middle, but I was hitting little pulls for much of the time. Distance control was pretty good and flight was great. I might try and get out to the practice fairway and check the dynamic lofts. A pull is my default miss, but this was consistent enough to suggest something else might be happening?

The VR 3 Wood went OK, but the #2 Hybrid was great. I really liked it, and I found it very versatile.I could hit low stingers, high fades, what ever was needed on the shot. I MOI matched it with the irons and it ended up close to 43" long!, so almost a 5 wood!

The Method Concept is an interesting looking putter that drew a lot of comments. I putted quite well with it (30 putts) and have found the double bend shaft give a centre shaft type feel to it. Distance control is very good, the benefit of the high MOI.

Today's bag selection;

Driver: Titleist 910 D3 with PL Blue Reg
    Fairway: Titleist 910F 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Titleist 913 Hd 18*, TM Burner 2.0 4i
    Irons: Titleist 710 AP2 4 - PW
    Putter: SC Kombi 37"

Today's bag selection;

Driver: Titleist 910 D3 with PL Blue Reg
    Fairway: Titleist 910F 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Titleist 913 Hd 18*, TM Burner 2.0 4i
    Irons: Titleist 710 AP2 4 - PW
    Putter: SC Kombi 37"
    Ball: Titleist Trusoft, Topflite Game V1
    Yesterday was one of those rounds where half way through, you started to wonder why you got out of bed! The Golf Gods can be really A Holes sometimes!

Playing the 910 D3 was like putting on a favorite shirt, familiar, well fitted and comfortable. I was hitting it sweetly and long. 2 fairways missed on the start of the 2nd nine, when frustration lead to trying too hard, but they were still in play.

Ditto the 910F, it has been a while since it has been in the bag. The first time I have used a stiff flex shaft (RIP Red) in a 3 wood for a while. It took the right side out of play, they were coming out straight.

The AP2s are also favs, but luck wasn't helping me yesterday. I was striking them well, but I had to, given some of the lies I ended up on! 4 divots in one round must be some sort of record I think! The Burner 4i went really well, right up there with the Speedblade as a Driving Iron.

I hadn't used the Kombi for a while and when I took it out for a run on Friday, it felt short compared to the putters I have been using, so I added some length and took it up to 37". The putting stats look good (28 ), but I didn't feel as comfortable with it as I have with the Centre Shafts I have been using.

As tends to happen, the day finished on a high note, with a holed out bump and run chip on the last for birdie!

I was given some Trusofts and put one into play off the 1st. It went OK, felt good and seemed to be as long as any. I change to a Gamer at the turn, but only to try to get something going!

I must do a full review of the CrockGear soon, another typical disappointing round yesterday. The sand bucket hook is a joke, so I end up hanging it off the handle height adjustment knob. Where it bumps against the Cooler bag 1) because the Cooler Bag attachments don't hold it in place and 2) the Cooler Bag top pocket Magnetic lock doesn't keep the top closed. Result sand in the top pocket and all over the food I carry in there! Why don't you get an optional Sand Bottle I hear you ask? I have one, but it is way too much hassle disconnecting it from its hanger to use it! Shame they didn't use the same fastening for the Umbrella Holder!

But how good are the steering knobs!!!
    bio cell+ big stick - fly z+ 3W - b'bertha 4h - srickson 545/745
    46-50 RTX, 56-60 md2 - tank cruiser 38" count balance
    delilah smiley driver and MAGNETIC putter cover
    sun mountain bag C130S - clicgear & knob

Quote Originally Posted by Lagerlover View Post
    But how good are the steering knobs!!!
    The Steering Knob is brilliant, best feature by far. I am trying to work out how to put one on my Smoothy! And the Net storage area is also very good. And it is easy to push on flat, smooth surfaces. But that is where it ends, nothing much to redeem it other than those 3 things. The trouble is you buy one because everyone raves about them, then spend the same amount again on accessories that should be standard, and then find out it is a Crock in day to day use!

Yesterday was one of those rounds where half way through, you started to wonder why you got out of bed! The Golf Gods can be really A Holes sometimes!

Playing the 910 D3 was like putting on a favorite shirt, familiar, well fitted and comfortable. I was hitting it sweetly and long. 2 fairways missed on the start of the 2nd nine, when frustration lead to trying too hard, but they were still in play.

Ditto the 910F, it has been a while since it has been in the bag. The first time I have used a stiff flex shaft (RIP Red) in a 3 wood for a while. It took the right side out of play, they were coming out straight.

The AP2s are also favs, but luck wasn't helping me yesterday. I was striking them well, but I had to, given some of the lies I ended up on! 4 divots in one round must be some sort of record I think! The Burner 4i went really well, right up there with the Speedblade as a Driving Iron.

I hadn't used the Kombi for a while and when I took it out for a run on Friday, it felt short compared to the putters I have been using, so I added some length and took it up to 37". The putting stats look good (28 ), but I didn't feel as comfortable with it as I have with the Centre Shafts I have been using.

As tends to happen, the day finished on a high note, with a holed out bump and run chip on the last for birdie!

I was given some Trusofts and put one into play off the 1st. It went OK, felt good and seemed to be as long as any. I change to a Gamer at the turn, but only to try to get something going!

I must do a full review of the CrockGear soon, another typical disappointing round yesterday. The sand bucket hook is a joke, so I end up hanging it off the handle height adjustment knob. Where it bumps against the Cooler bag 1) because the Cooler Bag attachments don't hold it in place and 2) the Cooler Bag top pocket Magnetic lock doesn't keep the top closed. Result sand in the top pocket and all over the food I carry in there! Why don't you get an optional Sand Bottle I hear you ask? I have one, but it is way too much hassle disconnecting it from its hanger to use it! Shame they didn't use the same fastening for the Umbrella Holder!
    No problems if your club has decent sand buckets

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    No problems if your club has decent sand buckets
    It would still clash with the Cooler Bag, plus you have to reach around to get to it. I guess you would be familiar with that though.

It would still clash with the Cooler Bag, plus you have to reach around to get to it. I guess you would be familiar with that though.
    Ah Pattaya.

Focus please

Blog Entries

... The trouble is you buy one because everyone raves about them, then spend the same amount again on accessories that should be standard, and then find out it is a Crock in day to day use!
    Like my parents' Peugeot 407.

I had a Clicgear a few years back, and traded it for an electric buggy. When going back to buy another Clicgear, the pro recommended the BagBoy Triswivel, doubly so, as I use a standbag. (I've since replaced the Triswivel with a Bag Boy C3, which is even simpler and easier to use.)

I've also noticed a number of Clicgears around our club, now have the bottom bag support rubbing on the front wheel, which I assume is metal fatigue from either supporting large cart bags or resting the front wheel on a kerb or tree (in lieu of setting the park brake) at our hilly course.

ps. And the Peugeot got traded in for a Falcon.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Windy as today, should be fun! Today's bag selection;

Driver: Cleveland Classic XL Custom 10.5* with PL Blue Reg
    Fairway: Cleveland Launcher 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Cleveland Classic 20.5*
    Irons: Cleveland 588TT 3 - PW
    Putter: Yes Stacey CS 36"

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Clickgear weather put the umbrella up happy days!

bio cell+ big stick - fly z+ 3W - b'bertha 4h - srickson 545/745
    46-50 RTX, 56-60 md2 - tank cruiser 38" count balance
    delilah smiley driver and MAGNETIC putter cover
    sun mountain bag C130S - clicgear & knob

Thread Information