Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 59 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

I played the 9 hole scramble this afternoon. I managed to put together 19 points with a wipe. I removed a few grams of lead tape (3 grams on my scales) off the Epon, which brought it back to D2. The tape I left on it should have given it a slight draw bias, which it did. Still a bit of tinkering to do, but it is getting pretty accurate and longish now. I will have to do a side by side with the PL Red version. Love the way these Epons are so tune-able!

The Versa #7 continues to impress!

I am playing Nudgee in the morning with Perci and Co. Bag selection as follows;

Driver: Epon AF101 with PL Red Stiff
    3 Wood: TM SLDR Mini 14*
    Hybrids: Adams A12 Pro 16*, Titleist 910 19*, Titleist 910 21*
    Irons: Titleist AP2s 710 5 & 6, CB 710s 7-9
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 46*, Yururi 53 & 57*
    Putter: Odyssey Versa #7

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    I am playing Nudgee in the morning with Perci and Co. Bag selection as follows;

Driver: Epon AF101 with PL Red Stiff
    3 Wood: TM SLDR Mini 14*
    Hybrids: Adams A12 Pro 16*, Titleist 910 19*, Titleist 910 21*
    Irons: Titleist AP2s 710 5 & 6, CB 710s 7-9
    I played very average golf in this round (31 points). The Epon was its usual accurate self (71% FIR), not long but pretty straight. The ones that weren't (up the middle) were straight pulls right, my default bad shot. I used the SLDR Mini off the deck for the first time and it went OK when there wasn't an Operator error!

I wasn't hitting my irons that well, again Operator error! If I wasn't pulling them right, I was over compensating in the set up and hit straight pushes!

The Versa continues to impress, particularly with distance control. But none of us could buy a putt on the day, so I will put it down to the dampness and the somewhat fluffy greens.

Tomorrow's Bag;

Driver: TM SLDR 460 14* with Motore Speeder Tour Spec VC 7.3
    3 Wood: Cleveland Launcher
    Hybrids: Maxfli Ezi Driver 16*, Titleist 910 19* & 21*
    Irons: Callaway Apex 5 - 9
    Putter: OdysseyTank #7

Senior Member Major Winner

Love that bag Dave. 3 longest clubs are 14*, 15* and 16*.

Gapping schmapping!

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    Love that bag Dave. 3 longest clubs are 14*, 15* and 16*.

Gapping schmapping!
    It is all about options Benno!

Actually the SLDR 14* is quite long, just more forgiving than its lower lofted brothers. With the Speeder I am expecting it will be very straight. My 200 to 220 club. The 3 wood, 185 to 200, depending on situation, and the #1 Hybrid is my 175 to 190 club, so the gaping is quite all encompassing. I have actually found I can get to the 5th hole, sometimes the 6th at Reddie, without ever pulling an iron, at least not for a full shot anyway.

Tomorrow's Bag;

Driver: TM SLDR 460 14* with Motore Speeder Tour Spec VC 7.3
    Hybrids: Maxfli Ezi Driver 16*, Titleist 910 19* & 21*
    Irons: Callaway Apex 5 - 9
    Putter: OdysseyTank #7
    Another ordinary round yesterday, though it was all the operator!

The SLDR 14* with Motore Speeder 7.3 performed exactly as expected, straight and longish. That is, when I wasn't pulling the ears off ! The Motore is quite stout and tip stiff, you really notice the extra weight.

The Cleveland Launcher is a great little draw machine, perfect for those shorter par 4 tee shots where position is important.

The Maxfli 16* was the surprise of the round. This was a cheap club ($19 still in the plastic) and it looks cheap, but it performed remarkably well. It comes out quite low, more like a driving iron than a Hybrid. Great to hit stingers with, but it was also easy to shape a shot when needed, and it also proved to be quite long when needed.

I struggled with the irons, my fault. I was pulling lots of shots and then over allowing when I tried to correct. Much the same as my Sunday round. I need to work on the swing a bit!

Without starting another JDM love-in, I have got to say that the more I play the Yururis the more I love them. I hit some seriously good wedge shots yesterday, to a foot a couple of times. And the spin these things generate is just awesome, if not a little bit too much at times! There is nothing like hitting a shot pin high, but to the side, and seeing the ball sizzle and spin back and sideways towards the hole! It the ones that spin back off the green I need to work on a bit!

The Tank went well, but doesn't feel quite right. It is a touch shorter than I would prefer (34" vs 35"), and the thick grip is not something I usually use.It didn't feel as natural as say the Versa #7. A bit of tinkering might be in order.

Next round may be Saturday, if I am not dragged off house hunting for the Kids, and/or it doesn't rain.

Didn't get a game on Saturday so tomorrow is now it;

Driver: TM R15 460 12* with PL Red Reg
    Hybrids: SLDR 3/17.5*, Titty 910 19 & 21*
    Irons: Adams A4 5 - 9

Do you find it difficult continuously playing with different clubs?

Quote Originally Posted by sheezymaneezy View Post
    Do you find it difficult continuously playing with different clubs?
    Not at all, I really enjoy the variety and challenge. And I self fit to my specs, so the clubs aren't too foreign or varied to use in reality.

My handicap has probably been its most consistent in my playing history since I started my Bag Lotto. It probably also makes me a bit more aware of managing my way around the round as well. I find I can sometimes start a bit roughly, and then right the ship and put together very consistent par runs that bring me right back into it.

I do plan at some stage to pick a favorite set combo, and perhaps play it for a month or more and see if I can play better? That would be interesting.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

What is your handicap dave? Do you play the one track every time that must help if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by D22marshall View Post
    What is your handicap dave? Do you play the one track every time that must help if you do.
    It is around 10/11 most of the time Dean. A high of 11.7 and low of 9.4 for my GA over the last 12 months. I have probably played 80% of my golf on my home track in that time. I do try to play other courses as often as I can, but there have been noticeably less OzGolf games organised this year, compared to previous years. I generally find my game travels reasonably well, though I have hammered it with lots of Back Marker events in the past, and it can get a little wobbly on tougher set ups at times.
    Last edited by Daves; 1st September 2015 at 10:36 PM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Yeah have noticed the yururis have been the staple in the bag always nice to go to a wedge that you trust when out of position.
    Will be interested to see what bag set up you settle on and see if it produces results.
    I change my gear a lot always looking for something to tinker with and find it costing me shots but I love equipment so it's hard to settle down.

Quote Originally Posted by D22marshall View Post
    Yeah have noticed the yururis have been the staple in the bag always nice to go to a wedge that you trust when out of position.
    Will be interested to see what bag set up you settle on and see if it produces results.
    I change my gear a lot always looking for something to tinker with and find it costing me shots but I love equipment so it's hard to settle down.
    I used to stick to the one putter as well, on the basis it is all about the short game, which it is. But I have found I can now rotate the putter and maintain reasonable consistency. I can probably do that with wedges as well, and will start to at some stage, but cautiously so!. I think I understand my swing and game much better now from the experience of playing a different bag each time, not necessarily controlling it better! but the understanding of strength and weaknesses is better.

It may just be the way I play the game, but I find my irons aren't as crucial to my scoring as you might imagine. Partly because I am not a long hitter, and rely somewhat on my Hybrids more for example, and partly because I am reasonably confident with my short game and make a reasonable amount of saves in a round. I mentioned it elsewhere I think, that I have played rounds were I haven't pulled an iron till the 6th hole (a shorter par 3 on my home course).

Didn't get a game on Saturday so tomorrow is now it;

Driver: TM R15 460 12* with PL Red Reg
    Hybrids: SLDR 3/17.5*, Titty 910 19 & 21*
    Irons: Adams A4 5 - 9
    Average results today, though I thought I hit the ball very well. Just didn't get the rewards.

I am really liking the R15. It isn't super workable, pretty straight really, but that means it isn't prone to hook either! And it is pretty long, consistently for me.

The Launcher is close to the perfect 3 wood for me. A great alternative off the tee, and just as easy to use off the deck. The Custom XL is close to this, but the closed face at address is a bit off putting.

A bit mixed with the Hybrids today, I either hammered them, and almost duffed them! The longish rough ( Club Champs due shortly) contributed at times, but a lack of consistent tempo and routine also contributed! I have never played comp before with someone who just stops to listen to a horse race! I am a keen punter, but FFS!

I really like the A4s, and hit them well. Too well at times! I was long, rather than short most of the day with them.

The Wedge set up just keep working for me. I hit some great approach and recovery shots, I just didn't convert enough with the putter!

I really like the Versa, but just wasn't able to get them into the hole with it today. Everyone in our group struggled with the greens, today including the club pro. I think I finished with 4 x 3 putts!

A quick turnaround with a Pro Am on tomorrow morning. The chosen bag is;

Driver: TM R15 with PL blue Reg
    Hybrids: Adams A12 Pro 16*, Titty 910 19* & 21*
    Irons: Titleist 710 AP2s 5 - 9
    Putter: TM Spider S

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Do you hit many, or any, full shots with the Yururi's?

I think you've said before how much they spin. Are they almost too spinny on full shots, to the point where you lose distance?

Quote Originally Posted by aussieashley View Post
    Do you hit many, or any, full shots with the Yururi's?

I think you've said before how much they spin. Are they almost too spinny on full shots, to the point where you lose distance?
    Hi Ash, I don't hit any full wedges shot with any Wedges (Yururis or others), other than PW. 75% is about my max, anything longer than that I flight a PW. My theory is once you get much past 45* loft, you are hitting up more than forward ,and it is too hard to 1) control the spin and 2) the distance.

A quick turnaround with a Pro Am on tomorrow morning. The chosen bag is;

Driver: TM R15 with PL blue Reg
    Hybrids: Adams A12 Pro 16*, Titty 910 19* & 21*
    Irons: Titleist 710 AP2s 5 - 9
    Putter: TM Spider S
    I was swinging like a rusty gate for most of the first nine today. It took a while, but I eventually worked out what I was doing wrong, and starting hitting the ball with some sort of consistency. Strong winds and rain storms threatening didn't help in getting settled.

The R15 was going left early, but once I worked out my issues, it started to be much straighter. I think I can sneak a bit more distance with the PL Blue, but with the PL Red the R15 is definitely straighter, and more accurate.

The AP2s unfortunately got used too many times to just hit back out of the trees, or from up against a tree! But I did hit a couple of memorable 9i shots in close.

I threw the Spider into today as I was expecting the greens to be a little slicker for the Pro Am, but that didn't happen, presumably because of the rain. In hindsight I would have preferred the extra loft of the SC Kombi, but the Spider was still solid.

The Wedges liked the softer greens, and I was able to at least get in close often when I was scrambling for par or bogey.

Saturday is the 1st round of our Club Champs. I have a few newbies to try out, but I am not sure if they will make Saturday's bag as yet.

Today is the first round of our club champs. I am going for a full bag rotation, every club changed;

Today's Bag;

Driver: Mizuno JPX 850 with Speeder TS 6.3
    3 Wood: Cobra LD F Speed
    Hybrids: SLDR 17.5*, SLDR TP 19* & 21*
    Irons: Nike VR Red Split Cavity 5 - 9
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX CB 46*, Miura 52* & 56*
    Putter: Yes Stacey - 12 CS

Today is the first round of our club champs. I am going for a full bag rotation, every club changed;

Today's Bag;

Driver: Mizuno JPX 850 with Speeder TS 6.3
    3 Wood: Cobra LD F Speed
    Hybrids: SLDR 17.5*, SLDR TP 19* & 21*
    Irons: Nike VR Red Split Cavity 5 - 9
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX CB 46*, Miura 52* & 56*
    Putter: Yes Stacey - 12 CS
    The Mizzy JPX went very well. The Speeder is probably a tad boardy for me, but the Driver was so straight, and the run out was awesome! Getting the Adapter setting right did add a touch more launch angle, but it does still come out quite low, and very low spin.

First time out with the full SLDR set and I was quite impressed. The TP shafts are a touch heavier (93g vs 82g) and proved their worth.

I continue to really like the VRs, very solid and easy to hit.

The wedges also went very well. The Miura are old favs, I just haven't hit them for a while. The only downsides were the too well hit PW into the last that carried the green and went OOB off a bad bounce! And the too well hit GW on the 17th that hit the flag and somehow ended in the bunker, 10m to the right!.

The Yes Stacey 12 was the star of the round, hits some great putts with it. And love the look of the CS at address!

Another day, another rotation! Today's selection;

Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 12 LS 10.5* with Aldila NVS Reg
    3 Wood: Cleveland Custom XL
    Hybrids: SLDR 17.5*, TP 19 * & 21*
    Irons: Tourstage X Blade 701s 5 - 9
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX CB 46*, Miura 52 & 56*
    Putter: TM Versa #7

Another day, another rotation! Today's selection;

Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 12 LS 10.5* with Aldila NVS Reg
    3 Wood: Cleveland Custom XL
    Hybrids: SLDR 17.5*, TP 19 * & 21*
    Irons: Tourstage X Blade 701s 5 - 9
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX CB 46*, Miura 52 & 56*
    Putter: TM Versa #7
    This ended up being a pretty ordinary round of golf!. I hit the ball OK, I just didn't get the results.

The Fast 12 LS actually impressed greatly. It is long and very forgiving. I hit lots of fairways.

I haven't really clicked with the Tourstages so far. This round was closer, but my distance control was seemingly out, and I flew a few targets by a wide margin! The shafts are Nippon 1030s, which should go OK for me. I checked a few irons on the SW scale. and they are relatively light compared to my more recent builds. So I am wondering if I need to make them heavier?! A change to R300s perhaps? Something to ponder.

Black Marker tomorrow. Bag selection as follows;

Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS, too good to not give it another round.
    Hybrids: Adams A12 Pro 16*, SLDR TP 19 & 21*
    Irons: Adams A12 Pros 5 - 9
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX 46*, Yururi 50.5* & 57*
    Putter: Kombi

Black Marker tomorrow. Bag selection as follows;

Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS, too good to not give it another round.
    Irons: Adams A12 Pros 5 - 9
    Much better golf today, managed a net 69 in the Black Marker.

The Fast 12LS continues to impress. It didn't do too much wrong today, and continues to be an easy club to hit.

Hit a couple of really nice shots with the Launcher. Another easy to hit club.

Hybrids performed well also. The SLDR TPs are becoming a favorite combo.

It has been a while since I last bagged the A12s. I am really comfortable with this irons, and they look quite smick with the Black Chrome KBS shafts. I have a 2nd set of these, still in the plastic. I must get around to reshafting them with an alternative shaft.

The Wedges were their usual reliable selves. Ditto the Kombi, which works well on our still slowish greens.

Tomorrow is the 2nd round of the Club Champs. Bag selection as follows;

Driver: TM R15 with PL Red Reg
    Irons: Ping i5s
    Last edited by Daves; 12th September 2015 at 07:47 PM.

Tomorrow is the 2nd round of the Club Champs. Bag selection as follows;

Driver: TM R15 with PL Red Reg
    Irons: Ping i5s
    I started today's round like I left off yesterday. 38 on the front (with a double on 8 ), to match yesterday's back nine. But I slowly leaked oil with inopportune doubles on the back to turn in a net 72. Good golf, but could have been so much better. At least half a dozen putts finished all but over hanging the hole. Another week of old holes (the same ones we played yesterday for the Black Marker) for the Club Champs! just love those Doughnuts!

The R15 went very well, I hit plenty of fairways and it mostly it behaved. A few pully Hooks were the only negatives. It was notable though, that as good as the R15 is, the drives were finishing 20+ metres behind where I was hitting them yesterday with the Fast 12 LS!

The Launcher is ultra reliable, and again I hit some sweet tee shots with it , as well as off the deck.

The i5s are so easy to use. GIR of 50%, compared to FIR of 57% probably says it all.

The Kombi really does suit my game, and our greens. I hit some great putts today and only luck stopped me scorching the greens, so many tap ins, many inside an inch or 2. 34 putts (no 3ps) just doesn't tell the story.

Monthly medal today, off the blacks so the Fast 12 is back in the bag, set on +1* loft (yes, it is a LH Adapter!). Not much time to change too much else. I still have a box full of Hybrids I am yet to take the plastic off!

Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS
    Irons: Ping Eye 2+ 5-9

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Monthly medal today, off the blacks so the Fast 12 is back in the bag, set on +1* loft (yes, it is a LH Adapter!). Not much time to change too much else. I still have a box full of Hybrids I am yet to take the plastic off!

Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS
    Irons: Ping Eye 2+ 5-9
    You playing the Ping Eye 2+ irons today Dave?

Have a set myself as a retro/back up set. Nice to hear you still play them, and off the blacks as well!!
    Interested to hear your report.

Also interested in why the Adams Fast 12 LS works so well for you.
    Is it that much better than other Adams drivers? (fast 10, speedline super s etc).
    Picking one up myself and hoping it goes as well for me as it does for you
    WITB -

Taylormade RBZ 9.5deg
    TM Sldr Mini 12deg
    Adams 2hy 4hy
    TM Speedblade 5-SW
    Wilson 8802 variant

Thread Information