Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 62 FirstFirst ... 39 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 59 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1538
    Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Monday's round was at Gailes and it was the first round of the Brisbane Vets Champs. Another very mixed round for me, and slooow as well.

Driver: Srixon Z565 10.5* with Miyazaki Mizi Tour 5S
    Fairway: Srixon Z-355 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Gold Proto 18*
    Irons: Srixon Z565 4 - PW
    Wedges Yururi 49*, 53* & 57*
    Putter: Yes Natalie CS CB 38"

I struggled a little with the Z565 early. My first tee shot went out of bounds, 2nd shot down the middle for an easy par with my second ball! Pushed my 2nd tee shot left for another double, though that had more to do with some bad lies. I got it under control for the most part after that and hit some pretty good drives, a few quite longish. I still struggled a little with direction (little pushes or pulls), but the strikes and ball flight were pretty good. I needs some more time in the bag to decide on this one. It looks good at address but for some reason I just don't gel with it compared to other recent Drivers that have been in the bag. I also need to compare it to the Z765 and Z355 I have.

I continue to enjoy the Z565 irons a lot. These seem to evoke a lot of confidence and I am hitting some pretty sweet shots with them. They sound/feel brilliant as well.

My short game was very mixed. I never really came to grips with the variable greens. Some were quick and slick, other had been tined (but not sanded) and looked to be un-mown, and were very "fluffy" accordingly. Pace was all over the place. I saw lots of 3 and 4 putts, and made a few 3 jabs from close quarters myself.

It was our Monthly Medal round yesterday and I finally managed a good score, but I had to grind it out. In the end I got beaten on a countback.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 10.5* with PX Evenflow 65g 6.0
    Fairway: TM M4 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Adams Pro Mini 18*
    Irons: Adams XTD Forged 4 - PW
    Putter: SC Futura 5CB C-B 38"

It was my first comp round with the Rogue and I struggled a little with direction at times. This was mainly due to over correcting a case of the pulls from the previous day. But I got it going pretty well, though I am still under decided on the Rogue. At this stage I think I prefer the Epic, but that may just be familiarity. I was certainly getting good distance with it, but that meant some of my pushes ended up dead, well into the tree lines.

The XTD Forged look super soft irons and they feel like it as well. I really enjoy playing them. My striking was OK, but I relied on my short game to get me close me often than not.

The Futura is another new acquisition. I bought it as 34 incher and extended and counter-balanced it at 38" and boy did it feel good. I was super solid with it all day and made a few very good putts from distance as well.

My Monday round was at Oxley, the final round of the Vets Champs. I started poorly and never really recovered, though I almost finished with a HIO, that was an easy kick in bird to bring me back.

My driving was way off and it took quite a while to get it back on track. In fact it was only over the last few holes that I twigged what I was doing wrong. I was spraying them way high and left, something I have not done for a long time. In the end I worked out I wasn't engaging the hips and that was giving me the big out in slash across the ball. The joys of getting old! Something that you would not have even had to think about when you are younger, now needs to be consciously fired to get them working!

Driver: Cleveland 588 Custom 10.5* with PL Red Stiff
    Fairway: Cleveland Launcher 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Cleveland Mashie 18*
    Irons: Cleveland CG Black 4 - PW
    Putter: Rife Guerin Two Bar Hybrid Mallet CS CB 38"

My poor swing did not do the 588 Custom any justice. When I got it back on track it went well. But I will have to leave it to another session to judge how it stands up to newer Drivers.

The CG Blacks were pretty solid in the circumstances. They had a lot of recovery work to do and they did it pretty well. They are quite chunky to look at, but they feel pretty good to use. I actually hit some pretty good shots into greens, though too often it wasn't for regulation.

My short game was under pressure and it went OK, but I struggled to adjust to the variable approaches to a lot of the greens. Kikuyu fringes meant it was tough to bump and run the ball onto the greens. And flying them on had its own hazards, with their relatively small push ups and slopes. That flowed through to the Putter, which was solid for the most part, but had too much work to do.

Back to Reddie Bay yesterday for a Stableford Comp. I started super solidly and keep it going for most of the round. But lost my tempo with the Driver over the last few holes and had to scramble my way home. In the end I compiled 22/19 for 41 points which was enough for runner up in A Grade. I also won one of the Pro Approaches. 3 very good Birdies were the highlights of the day.

Driver: Titleist TS3 10.5* with PX Evenflow Stiff
    Fairway: Titliest 917 F2 16.5* 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1 19*
    Irons: Cobra King Black Forged Forged 4 - PW

The TS3 was super solid for all bar the last few holes. I had it on a string up till then. I am continuing to be greatly impressed by this Driver and love the sound/feel it has.

The Forged TECs are new arrivals and this was their first time out and boy did they go well. The look terrific, like my beloved Pro Combos and feel just as good. But they are also slightly jacked, so they go boom! but with the Recoil 780s the flight is high and easy to control. I hit a lot of greens and was very happy with the irons right through the set.

My short game was hot and my putter was red hot. I made lots of longer putts and missed nothing in closer. 26 putts for the day told the story. My higher than usually GIR figure made that even more impressive. The modified Futura has quickly made its way to the top of my favorites list.

Yesterday I played a Stableford at Reddie Bay in a very gusty Westerly. I started pretty well, but wobbled over the last few holes on the first nine (started on the 10th) for 14pts. I then put my head down and ground out 20 points on the 2nd nine, but it could have been so much better! (7 pars, 2 doubles). I am still sorting my swing revisions. They are working really well a fair percentage of the time, but I still need to bed them in.

Driver: Cobra F7 10.5* with PL Blue Reg
    Fairway: Cobra LD F Speed 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Cobra F6 22*
    Irons: Cobra King F8 5 - PW, S2 4i
    Putter: SC Golo Select CB 38"

I have not bagged the F7 a lot so far. I am not sure why? I was hitting it very well for much of the day yesterday and it felt/sounded very good as well. I am getting good extra distance with my swing revisions and the F7 seemed to maximise that for me yesterday. Even into the wind I was noticeably longer.

The F8s are new arrivals. I finished re-fitting them to my specs on Friday and they went straight into the bag. I wasn't expecting a lot. They were following the Forged TECs and in comparison they look very chunky, but they pleasantly surprised me. I hit the same percentage of GIR as I did with the TECs and given the conditions, that was a very good result. I like the flight a lot and they feel/sound very good for a non forged club. I guess the looks will grow on me! Special mention for the S2 4i I added to the F8 set. It was a weapon in the wind. I used it off the tee a couple of times and it was seriously long and straight

The Golo is another new arrival. Also altered and added on Friday. It wasn't hot yesterday,but it was super solid. Given the windy conditions and the amount of debris on the greens, it performed very well. My distance control with it was spot on.

Monday's Vets round was at Virginia. I have played this course a fair few times over the years, but the last time was at least 5 years ago. It hasn't changed much and was looking pretty dry (preferred lies were in play). I started with a Birdie after a great recovery from my Drive into the trees right. Sadly, I was unable to keep the recoveries going as my drives continued to go right more often than not. I eventually got on top of the Driver, but the the show was all but over by then. I managed 31 points with 3 wipes.

Driver: Epon AF101 with PL Red Reg
    Fairway: Cobra LD F Speed 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Adams A4 Boxer 19*
    Irons: Cobra King Forged TEC 4 - PW

The Forged TECs were very solid again. I love the feel of these irons and the flighting I can get with them is great.

I wasn't warm with the Futura, but it was pretty solid with only one 3 putt that resulted from some impatience on my part. We were a three behind a slow four and I often struggle to maintain Tempo and Concentration with all the waiting. I try to distract myself, but not always with success.
    Last edited by Daves; 13th August 2019 at 09:21 PM.

I played a Stableford at Reddie Bay yesterday. I started OK, but slowly lost my way as I struggled to correct a dose of the pulls. I ended up with 31 points with 2 wipes and finished with 4 straight 1 pointers.

Driver: Mizuno ST-180 11.5* with Speeder VC 6.3 Stiff
    Fairway: Mizuno JPX-900 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-Hi 19*
    Irons: Srizon Z-355 4 - PW
    Putter: TM TP Collection Berwick C-B 38"

The ST-180 is a new arrival. I picked the head up off US eBay dirt cheap because it has a couple of dings. One in the sole, and one on the crown. The bottom one is obvious but neither is noticeable at address. I set it at the highest loft because of what I had read about the low spin nature of this head. It definitely is a low spin, low launch Driver. I don't know about forgiveness as I seemed to get it out of the middle for most of the day, but I did struggle to point it, and never quite got comfortable with the somewhat harsh sound/feel. I found the face angle on the 11.5* setting was a little unsettling. I was getting good distance and the low spin meant plenty of run out, but I was struggling to control where I was hitting it. Partly because of the case of the pulls, and partly because I never felt comfortable with where it was pointing at address. I will try a lower loft setting next time out, but wonder whether I will have the Swing Speed needed to launch this Driver?

I also struggled with hitting occasional pull with my irons. It did not happen a lot ,but enough to make me a bit uncertain with my swing. My first iron shot of the day was a big pull, extra long (a 5i that went 205m!). The strike was sweet and the flight was very good as well, but it was finished 15m right and 40m long. I almost made the U & D save. The 2nd hole was a bit of a repeat and I did make the U & D this time, but the mental damage was done.

The TM Berwick is another new addition (a few more to come!). The classic mallet shape was the attraction. Set up at my specs it felt pretty good and I putted solidly with it. I made a couple of long snakes but also had quite a few lips outs with it.

Friday's round was the Black Marker Challenge. Quite forgettable from a scoring point of view. I had a bad case of the Pull Rights and made nothing on the greens, except for a bomb for a Bird on the 13th.

Driver: TM M3 10.5* with MC Tensei CK 60S
    Fairway: Adams Insight XTD Pro 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Adams 9031 Black 18*
    Irons: Cobra Forged TEC 4 - PW
    Putter: SC Golo Select C-B 38"

I was striking the M3 very well, but after a solid start the pulls emerged and from there it was mostly pulls or over-corrections left. I did boom one down the last to bring me back, and my striking was mostly pretty much out of the middle, I just did not have control. All me, nothing to do with the club.

The Forged TECs continue to impress. I love these irons and hit some very good shots with them. But I also had the pulls going with them at times and the confidence slowly sapped away over the round.

Nothing was warm in the short game and I struggled to make pars. Due to the the dry weather and little sign of rain the greens are being mown a little longer, and I struggled to adjust to the speed and grain.

Back out yesterday for a single Stab/4BBB combo. The scoring did not get any better, only the errors varied. I sorted the driver swing (it was a takeaway sequence issue) and only missed a couple of fairways all day. But I found new ways to butcher a hole from the middle of the fairway.Mostly through over thinking the shot and the rest were poor tempo/execution issues.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 10.5* with PX Evenflow 6.0 S
    Fairway: Cobra F8 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Callaway BB Alpha 815 18*
    Irons: Cobra F8 5 - PW, S2 4i

The Rogue felt much better this time out. I sorted my pull tendency and had it mostly on a string. The only fairway misses were a couple of execution errors. It was solidly long all day without going to the next level. I was trying to not over swing, given my recent swing tendencies, so I am still not sure of its ultimate ability as yet.

I was striking the F8s solidly, but just not getting the results most of the day. I was there abouts most of the time. But not close enough with a cold Putter.

17 x two putts and only one single tell the story. Lots of lip outs and kick ins. My short game was poor, I tried too hard and spoilt lots of good tee shots and the Putter couldn't save me.

Our Monday Vet's round was at Windyroo. Another course I have not played for at least five years. It was in great nick, unlike many other Brissy courses at the moment that are mostly very dry and dusty. Apparently they can go 6 months without rain with the water storage they have these days. The course has been cleaned up a lot since I lasted played it and was looking the best I have seen it. Given it was heavily inundated by the 2017 flood (lots of signs up in the trees showing how high it got) they have done very well to get it back to this condition.

Another mixed round that ended with 32 points with 3 wipes. I wasn't that unhappy with how I mostly struck the ball, just a poor start and a few wobbles when I tried too hard on a few easier holes and made silly errors. Windyroo lived up to its name with a very gusty North Westerly kicking in half way around, just to make it more interesting!

Driver: Srixon Z-765 10.5* with PL Blue Reg
    Fairway: Cobra Max 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Ping G400 19*
    Irons: Srixon Z-765 4 - PW
    Putter: SC Futura 7M C-B 38"

Other than a couple of poorly executed drives, I was pretty happy with the Z-765 for most of the day. I was hitting it very straight with solid distance. It is a very easy Driver to use, looks good at address and is reasonably forgiving.

The Z-765 irons are new arrivals. I actually bought these irons as individuals and matched them up. Boyles were selling them as individual irons and with eBay discount they ended up about $60 a club. They only had the 765s in 4 - 8, I added a 565 9 and PW to complete the set. The 765s have Modus 120 shafts, which I have not tried before. The 565s have the 980GH shafts. So two somewhat unknowns where how the shafts and the different loft profiles would blend into a single set. Neither proved to be an issue. I was very happy with my first run with the set. I struck them exceptionally well for the most part. They felt great and I was quite impressed by the Modus feel and flight. My only issue was estimating my distances, I under estimated them for the most part and hit quite a few shot long until I adjsuted. I still managed to hit a lot of greens in Reg, well above my long term average. But the greens were quick and slippery and whilst I putted well, I made very few, there were lots of lipouts.

The Futura putter was also another new arrival. Altered to my specs it felt pretty good and I was generally very happy with it. I didn't find it greatly different to the Futura 5CB, both are very easy to use.
    Last edited by Daves; 21st August 2019 at 10:03 AM.

Yesterday's round was a Single Stab. My first round for 10 days, after a week away on Straddie.

It was more of the same score wise, 32 points with three wipes. I thought I struck the ball pretty well, but direction control and rubs of the green were negatives.

Driver: Cobra F Max 10.5* with Cobra Superlite 50 Reg
    Hybrid: Cobra Baffler T Rail 19*
    Irons: TM Speedblade 4 - PW
    Wedges Yururi 53* & TM Speedblade 50* & 55*
    Putter: SC Futura 5B C-B 38"

The F Max is new, courtesy of a Golfbox clearance. It is super easy to use and very friendly, and the Black finish looks great at address. It launches super high, but did not seem to spin up to any great degree for me. I was getting good distance with it, and it was fun to launch Drives into the Stratosphere. The Wind was light on the day, so I don't know how it will go into a solid headwind.

I love the Speedblades. It has been a while, so it was nice to play them again. They are super jacked, but don't look that way. The 4i is a weapon and can substitute for Driver for me on a bad day with the big dog. I added the 50 and 55 to the bag and they went super well.

I putted well, but made nothing outside 10 feet all day. 30 putts with one 3 jab when I got too aggressive on a long putt.

I have been a bit slack with my reports. Here is a quick five;

Saturday 31/8, Reddie Bay Single stab, 14/17 = 31pts.

Driver: Krank Formula 5 LD 10.5* with Aldila Trinity Stiff
    Hybrid: Titleist 915Hd 17.5*
    Irons: Srixon 765 4 - PW
    Putter: TM TP Collection Berwick Mallet CB 38

I didn't hit a fairway with the Driver on the front nine, I was swinging terribly. Came good on the back but left too much to do.

Putting was the only solid part of my game (29)

Monday was a single stab with the Brisbane Vets at Carbrook, 13/15 = 28pts with 10 one pointers and a wipe.

Driver: Ping G30 SF Tec 12* with PL Blue Reg
    Fairway: Cobra XL 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Nickent 3DX 17*
    Irons: Cobra King Forged TEC Black 4 - PW
    Putter: Yes Stacey 12 CS CB 38

This round was the opposite of the last. I hit just about every fairway, but lost it around the green. I really struggled to come to grips with my bump and run game on the Kikuyu a approaches and the putter was cold. I slaughtered a lot of good tee/approach shots.

Wednesday 4/9 was a Single Stab at Reddie Bay in the wind. I managed 17/18 = 35 pts with a wipe.

Driver: TM M4 10.5* with Fujikura ATMOS 5 Reg
    Fairway: Cobra Fly Z XL 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Nickent 3DX 17*
    Irons: Cobra Fly Z 4 - PW
    Wedges Yururi 49*, 53 & 57*
    Putter: Yes Natalie CS CB 38"

The M4 is always solid and I am confident with it. It went mostly where I aimed with good length. I was thereabouts with my approach shots and putted (31) solidly without very getting warm.

Last Saturday was the Monthly Medal at Reddie Bay in the wind again. I managed a nett 74. I was playing to handicap but threw away a few shots over the closing holes.

Driver: RBZ Stage 2 9.5* with Fujikura Rocketfuel 50
    Fairway: TM SLDR 3 Wood
    Hybrid: TM TP SLDR 17.5*
    Irons: TM RSi2 4 - PW
    Wedges Yururi 53* & 57* TM RSi2 50*
    Putter: Odyssey Toe Up #9 Small Mallet 35"

The RBZ was awesome. It was very long and I was hitting it really well in the wind. Too well at times, as I hit it through the end of few Fairways that are normally not in play for me.

I was very solid with the RSi2s for the most part. In the end I had too many putts. I was actually pretty happy with the Toe Up on its first run, it was very accurate and easy to roll. It was only distance control that let me down. Partly due to the wind, and partly due to playing it at (its original) 35" rather than my normal 38" counter balanced set up.

Monday's round was Brisbane Vets at Keperra in a howling gale. I managed 14/16 = 30 pts with three wipes.

Driver: Callaway BB Alpha 9* with Speeder 565 Reg
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Gold Proto 18*
    Irons: Srixon 565 4 - PW
    Putter: SC Futura 5B C-B 38

The Alpha was super solid, I was really happy with the control I had with it and it was very long all day, even into the gale.

I was also solid with the Srixons but had a bit of a hiccup with my Bushnell Phantom for a few holes. Keperra is mapped as 3 separate nines, so I had to reset the course at the turn . For some reason the Phantom did a reboot and it took me a while to realise it had reset to yards, which explained the sailed greens!. Strangely, exactly the same thing happened to another of our group also using a Phantom??

I hardly made a putt (35) outside 5 feet all day, and rarely made it inside that distance.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Those scores make you look like a home course hero, Daves.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Those scores make you look like a home course hero, Daves.
    They do. It is one of the reasons I started playing other courses again, but so far I have not been able to put a full round together elsewhere.
    Last edited by Daves; 13th September 2019 at 07:12 AM.

Saturday's round was a Single Stab. Another very average round 17/14 = 31pts with 2 wipes. I was hitting the ball OK, but not scoring well. I did get to play with a 2 marker, so at least saw some good golf!

Driver: Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with Diamana A'hina 72 Stiff.
    Hybrid: Titleist 913Hd 18*
    Irons: Titleist 716 AP2 4 - PW
    Wedges TM RSi2 50*, Yururi 53* & 57*

It has been a while since the 910 has been in the bag. This was a gamer for me for sometime back when it was released. I was hitting to pretty well most of the time. Too well at times. With my swing tweaks I am getting some of my old distance back, and sometimes that mean I am hitting them through fairways and further into trouble.

Ditto with the AP2s. I am still coming to grips with my new distances. My wipes came from hitting my irons shots too far into places I really didn't want to be from an U & D perspective. With my attempted Tempo Calming I am fighting a pull tendency and the prerequisite over corrected push lefts. Even with that I hit an above average number of GIR.

My short game was mixed. Some good U & Ds but also a a lot of scrambled one pointers. 31 putts was OK without ever getting mildly warm with the Putter on the day.

Monday's Vets round was at Indooroopilly. We played the Blue/Green combo. I really enjoy all the Indo holes. It is a quality golf course and it is in pretty good nick in the current dry conditions. I managed 32 points with 3 wipes.The first nine was really mixed golf. I was 3 points after 3 holes but managed to get to 18 by the turn, including a 4 point bird. On the back I wiped a couple of holes when I hit it too far, but otherwise played to Handicap.

Driver: TM RBZ Stage 2 9.5* with Fujikura RocketFuel 50 Stiff
    Fairway: TM 2017 M2 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Cobra Baffler Pro 18*
    Irons: Cobra F8 4 - PW
    Putter: TM TP Collection Berwick 38"

The RBZ continues to really impress. I am hitting it extra long and it was noticeable on the day that I was hitting it well past one of my regular playing partners who previously has been around the same length off the tee as me. But it is not only distance that impresses, it is easy to flight and generally has a great flight. And it also pretty friendly, though I don't seem to miss the middle with it that often anyway.

I bought the F8s as a 5 - PW set, but found a matching 4i at Golfbox, so this was the sets first run as a 4 - PW and it went pretty well. I hit well over my average GIR percentage, and was really close most of the time. As mentioned, occasionally I went long and and paid the penalty.

My short game was OK, but I made nothing with the Putter (35 putts).
    Last edited by Daves; 29th September 2019 at 11:50 AM.

I caught a lurgy a few weeks ago and I am only just getting over it. Here are a few reports I had not got around to posting;

Wednesday 18/9 was our Monthly Mug Stroke Event at Reddie Bay. I was about 3 days in with the Lurgy, but had not hit the worst of it as yet. I managed a fairly solid round for a net 71 (68 won the day).

Driver: Cobra F Max 10.5* with Cobra Superlite 50 Reg
    Fairway: Cobra F Max 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Cobra Max #3 19*
    Irons: Cobra King Forged TEC 4 - PW
    Putter: SC Futura 7M C-B 38"

My 2nd time out with the F Max and it continues to impress. It is a real fairway finder. Not especially long, but very easy to swing and hit once you make peace with the closed face and offset. If you a slow swing speed chronic slicer, this club is for you (along with some lessons! to make the most of it).

I hit a good number of greens and managed to keep my ball in play for the most part. I managed to make lots of pars and bogeys and only 2 doubles (both on par 3s) spoilt an otherwise very solidly ground out round.

The short game was also solid for the most part, as was the putting but I made nothing of any length (32 putts)

After a sleepless night I was back out first thing on Friday 20/9 for our Black Marker Challenge. I never really got it going and struggled to score. I ended up with 31pts (16/15) with only 4 pars and 2 wipes.

Driver: TM Burner Superfast 10.5* with Matrix Ozik Xcon 4.8 Reg
    Fairway: TM Burner Superfast 3 Wood
    Hybrid: TM M6 #3 19*
    Irons: TM Burners 2.0 4 - PW
    Putter: TM Spider Mallet CS CB 38"

I started OK, and I was hitting the Burner OK, but just could not convert. The Burner stands up pretty well compared to modern drivers. It is plenty long and relatively easy to hit. It isn't unfriendly either, but it is just not as forgiving as a twist face club for example. You could though happily game one and not really notice any distance loss in most instances.

My lack of scoring was more to do with my approach and short games. There weren't bad, just not warm and I made virtually nothing all day 35 putts).

I was back out again on Saturday 21/9, after another sleepless night. This time it was another SS at Reddie Bay. Whilst my Stats were similar to Friday's, I did manage to score a better for 34pts (16/1 with no wipes, and finished with a birdie on the last.

Driver: Callaway XR Pro 10.5* with Aldila Tour Blue Stiff
    Fairway: Callaway XR 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Callaway Epic #3 19*
    Irons: Adams CB3 4 - PW
    Putter: Odyssey DFX 2 Ball CB 38.5"

I struggled a bit early with the XR Pro. I was striking it OK ,but just not aiming it well. I came good on the back nine and hit it pretty solidly coming back. It was very solid on length, and the flight was also very good. It felt/sounded very good as well. I need to get the XR Pro 16 out and give it a run.

My GIR Stats were actually pretty solid, but my misses were not great on a few holes and 4 doubles derailed the scoring side.

Again, I made nothing with the Putter (34 putts).

I was back out again first thing on Sunday morning, at the invitation of Ferrins to play RQ. I should not have played, the Lurgy had me well and truly now, and the rain early in the round did not help. I won't record the round here, because it was shite for the most part. My head was spinning and I had very little clue with my striking.

I took a week break after that, including a trip to Emergency during the week. I finally felt well enough to play again yesterday. It was a SS at Reddie Bay and I managed to accumulate 36 points (17/19) with a bird on the last to bring me back.

Driver: TM RBZ Stage 2 9.5* with Fujikura RocketFuel 50 Stiff
    Irons: TM RSi1 4 - PW

I wasn't hitting the RBZ as well as I have early on, but I steadied through the round and finished pretty well with it. It is sneaky long, to the point where it is almost too long on a couple of our shorter par 4s, where you can run out of fairway around 225+.

I was solid with the RSi1s without lifting it to the next level. I particularly like the 4i, which tends to get plenty of work during a round.

I changed to a Prov1 for this round, a ball I have not played for a while. And it was noticeably different to most of my recent ball choices. I didn't quite adjust to it as well I would have liked, but it felt great and I am keen to keep using ProVs, to see how I can use it in my short game. I was getting noticeable more check and this is where I didn't quite adjust 100%. I was hitting chips I thought were spot on off the face, but they were checking up a little short. Everything else was great with though, it felt terrific off the face and I felt like I could control it better than the average.More work needed on this. My Putter was warm and this helped me convert a good number of those short chip results

Last Monday was a Vets round at Wynnum. I started well with regulation pars; Fairway, GIR and 2 putts. Then we waited the usual 10+ minutes on the 3rd tee and I started spraying them a bit. Steadied and scrambled through the nine for 20 points. Lost it on the back nine though, scrambled my arse off, but could do no better than 2 or 1 points each hole. End result was 20/14 = 34 points, no wipes.

Driver: Ryoma Maxima D-1 Type G1 10.5* with Aldila NVS 65 Stiff
    Irons: Tourstage X Blades 701 4 - PW
    Putter: Yes Stacey 12 CS CB 38"

The Ryoma was a recent arrival. I like the look of the head, but the face looks closed at address (it is according to specs, 1*). I struggled with the aiming of it at times. But it was going quite long and I could work it when I swung it well. Time will tell if I can adjust to it. I have a Type D head coming, so it will be interesting to compare.

My swing was a bit off and I was struggling with my striking and timing at times. But I did hit some nice shots with the X Blades, when I got it right. But I also hit some shockers, but that was me not the clubs.

My short game was pretty reasonable, but it had to be. The Wynnum Greens were on their way back from coring and were slow and a touch bumpy. I left a few in the jaws, but putted pretty solidly overall (31)

Thread Information