Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 58 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Major Winner

There's a bit of reg flex creeping its way into the bags of late

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    There's a bit of reg flex creeping its way into the bags of late
    Yep, I bought a heap of PL Reg shafts to compare to the Stiff versions I already own. I am heading towards having a PL Red, and a PL Blue in S and in R for every adjustable driver I have i.e. Titleist, TM, Adams, Callaway, Cleveland, Nike, Ping, Cobra and Tour Stage. A mass long term experiment in kick point and flex variables/differences in distance and dispersion.
    Last edited by Daves; 26th July 2015 at 12:38 PM.

We're the same!

27 holes in with the PL blue and I'm happy so far.

You really are a glass half full guy aren't you 3pp.
    bio cell+ big stick - fly z+ 3W - b'bertha 4h - srickson 545/745
    46-50 RTX, 56-60 md2 - tank cruiser 38" count balance
    delilah smiley driver and MAGNETIC putter cover
    sun mountain bag C130S - clicgear & knob

Quote Originally Posted by Lagerlover View Post
    You really are a glass half full guy aren't you 3pp.
    Nope.

Didn't get play comp last week, Wed was rained out, and we had a family get together on the weekend.

Today's bag;

Driver: SLDR 430 12* with a PL Red Reg
    3 Wood: Cleveland Launcher with Fit on gold Reg
    Hybrids: Titleist 910 16.25*, Adams XTD Ti 20*, Wilson DXI 22*
    Irons: 4 & 5 Cobra S3, 7 - 9 Cobra S3 Pro MBs
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 46*, Yururi 53 & 57*
    Putter: Never Compromise Sub 30 Type 50
    Last edited by Daves; 1st August 2015 at 09:18 PM.

I will do the write up for Wednesday's round when I get a chance. It wasn't one of my more preferred memories, though there were some highlights! Playing with Club F'wit No. 2 and having 4 stone motherless unplayables were some of the lowlights!

Today's bag is full of new arrivals (yesterday!);

Driver: Adams XTD 12* with PL Blue Reg
    Fairway: Cleveland Launcher 3 wood with Fit on Gold
    Hybrids: Titleist 910 16.25*, Adams A4 19*, Adams A4 22*
    Irons: Adams Idea Tech A4 Forged with DGSL300S
    Putter: Yes C Groove Sandy 12 Mid 38"
    Last edited by Daves; 1st August 2015 at 09:18 PM.

Be good to hear what you think of the xtd vs sldr

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Two different animals. For starters the XTD likes to go right & the sldr likes to go left. No denying the XTD is a beast & comes with a great stock shaft in the 6Q3 but I think most struggle to get the best out them due to them playing stiffer or harder to load than stated flex. Either go down a flex or find a shaft you like & they're pretty darn long & still quite forgiving.
    You either like the Sldr or not, I find there's no middle ground with them. If you take the time to work out what shaft weight, length & loft you need they are the longest driver on the planet although if you hit them on the heel & toe you'll certainly see the often shitty results.
    Taylormade M1 16' 430 10.5* Attas G7s
    Taylormade M1 17' 460 10.5* Rogue 125msi 60s
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9* Rogue 125msi 60x
    Titleist 917 D2 9.5* Rogue 125msi 70s
    Cobra King LTD AD MT 7s
    Taylormade M2 15* Speeder Pro 73s
    Taylormade SLDR 19* Matrix HD7s
    Titleist 716 AP2 5-PW KBS Tour V X stiff
    Cleveland 588 Rotex 2.0 Raw Wedges 50* 54* 60* KBS Hi Rev
    Callaway MD3 64* PM Grind
    Taylormade Spider Si 35" Slant Neck

Quote Originally Posted by Gw 86 View Post
    Be good to hear what you think of the xtd vs sldr
    Quote Originally Posted by JADO75 View Post
    Two different animals. For starters the XTD likes to go right & the sldr likes to go left. No denying the XTD is a beast & comes with a great stock shaft in the 6Q3 but I think most struggle to get the best out them due to them playing stiffer or harder to load than stated flex. Either go down a flex or find a shaft you like & they're pretty darn long & still quite forgiving.
    You either like the Sldr or not, I find there's no middle ground with them. If you take the time to work out what shaft weight, length & loft you need they are the longest driver on the planet although if you hit them on the heel & toe you'll certainly see the often shitty results.
    The XTD I played today is a 12* version, with one of my own shafts preferences fitted, a Prolaunch Blue. I didn't find it wanted to go left (your right), it was very straight for me actually. I could hit baby draws fairly easily, but it mostly went dead straight. I have a 10.5* version which will get a run shortly with the same shaft for comparison.

I agree broadly re the SLDRs, I haven't struck a Driver head before that is so variable/tuneable depending on what shaft you put in them. I can usually make most shafts work in most drivers, but the SLDRs are the exemption.

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    Today's bag;

Driver: SLDR 430 12* with a PL Red Reg
    3 Wood: Cleveland Launcher with Fit on gold Reg
    Hybrids: Titleist 910 16.25*, Adams XTD Ti 20*, Wilson DXI 22*
    Irons: 4 & 5 Cobra S3, 7 - 9 Cobra S3 Pro MBs
    Putter: Never Compromise Sub 30 Type 50
    Wednesday's round wasn't one of my best, but it was more the player, than the clubs' fault.

I struggled with the SLDR 430 a bit, I pulled a lot of shots hard right during the round (straight pulls, no hooks). When I did hit it, it went OK, reasonably workable, but not nearly as friendly or forgiving as the 460 14*, or the Mini.

I hit the Launcher pretty well, nice flighted draws are pretty easy, but just as workable the other way when needed.

I love the Cobra S3 pros, probably my favorite iron set of them all. The short irons can be almost surgically accurate when I am swinging them well. The S3 longer irons complimented them well and made a pretty good blended set. Despite my overall relatively poor round, I actually hit more Greens than Fairways in reg. A few more blended sets will get a run in future rounds.

The NC Sub 30 didn't live up to its name, but I did like it and found I putted reasonably well with it. More to do with our crappy greens at the moment.

Today's bag is full of new arrivals (yesterday!);

Driver: Adams XTD 12* with PL Blue Reg
    Fairway: Cleveland Launcher 3 wood with Fit on Gold
    Hybrids: Titleist 910 16.25*, Adams A4 19*, Adams A4 22*
    Irons: Adams Idea Tech A4 Forged with DGSL300s
    Putter: Yes C Groove Sandy 12 Mid 38"
    As mentioned earlier, the XTD 12* was very straight, except when I tried to do too much with it and pushed it left. Mildly workable, but more at home just hitting it down the line. Flight was relatively high for me, but it didn't balloon.

I struggled to hit the A4 hybrids cleanly all day. I haven't done anything with them spec/fit wise, just shoved them in the bag as they arrived. New grips and possibly a bit of extra length might be needed?

The A4s went OK. I am not a big fan of the DG SLs I have to say, they seemed a bit too tip stiff for my liking. Having said that, I hit them mostly OK, so they might grow on me?

The C Groove is counter balanced with a Super Stroke shaft. I gather the Mid was the belly Putter version?, it plays very heavy, right off the scale on my SW scales. I found it reasonable to putt with, reasonably good distance control and quite natural to swing. Hard to rate it on a our greens at the moment, which were almost furry be the end of the day, and quite a few are full of weed couch, or are almost bare earth.
    Last edited by Daves; 4th August 2015 at 02:03 PM.

Tomorrow's Bag has been selected, more new arrivals to try out;

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 with Kuro Kage Black
    Driver 2: TM SLDR S Mini 14*
    Hybrids: Adams A12 Pro 16*, Callaway 815 20*, Adams A4 22*
    Irons: Callaway Apex 5 - 9
    Putter: SC Kombi

Tomorrow's Bag has been selected, more new arrivals to try out;

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 with Kuro Kage Black
    Driver 2: TM SLDR S Mini 14*
    Irons: Callaway Apex 5 - 9
    Played OK today for 34 points. I hit a few pulls, but contact was generally pretty good. The KK went alright in the D3. It is a touch softer than my usual stiff flex shaft, which probably suited me. I had the D3 dialled up to 11* as well and that seemed to work OK. My flight is fairly low these days, so lofting up seems to give me a bit more face to work with. I found it pretty easy to aim and hit straight down the middle, or shape it a little as required. My few bad shots were pulls where I over worked the shot.

The 815 20* Hybrid is sweet as! I had it dialled down to 19* I thought, but seems it might have actually been 21* instead when I checked it back home (I presumed it was a LH Adapter, perhaps not?). This would explain the highish flight I was getting, but I can't complain about how they were coming out.

The Cally Apexs went very well. Most shots seemed to come out of somewhere near the middle, and those that didn't (toe hits) went pretty well anyway, so forgiveness seems to be generous. I hit a good number of greens in reg, so they did their job well.

Next round is the Black Marker on Friday.

Bag selection for tomorrow's Black Marker;

Driver: Callaway BB Alpha 9* with PL Blue Reg
    3 Wood: Cleveland Launcher
    Irons: Ping i15s

Bag selection for tomorrow's Black Marker;

Driver: Callaway BB Alpha 9* with PL Blue Reg
    Irons: Ping i15s
    I had a good round today, though all the good golf was on the back nine.

The Alpha/PL Blue combo went OK. Not super long, but I found plenty of fairways with it.

How easy are the i series Ping irons to hit! I really enjoy playing them, simply for their consistency and easy of use. They won't replace my favorite forged sets, but they are a great club for most skill levels.

The Cally 815 Hybrid continues to impress. I might have to find a mate for it in a complimentary loft!

The Wedges went well as usual. And the Kombi is always good to use on our slowish, bumpy greens.

Another comp day tomorrow (someone has to do it! ), and my Bag Selection is as follows;

Driver: Cleveland Classic with PL Blue Reg
    Irons: Callaway Apex

Another comp day tomorrow (someone has to do it! ), and my Bag Selection is as follows;

Driver: Cleveland Classic with PL Blue Reg
    Irons: Callaway Apex
    Played OK today, managed to scramble 35 points, just wasn't as sharp as yesterday's back nine.

The Cleveland/ PL Blue combo felt OK, but I struggled to hit it consistently. I hit some really good drives, and some ordinary ones that left me with a not a lot of options. 57% FIR vs 39% GIR sort of tells the story, my iron play was very good, but I left myself scrambling and relying on my 3rd shot too often. Will have to give a check on the SW scale etc and see if is a balance thing, or was just me?

The Apexs went well again for. I am really liking these irons, very straight, reasonably long, forgiving and easy to hit. Can't remember a mishit in 2 round so far, the occasional straight pull is about the extent of it. They are giving the Pings are run for their money.

Next comp round should be Wednesday. Some incoming may make it in time to make that bag.

Tomorrow's bag selection;

Driver: Epon AF101 with PL Red
    3 Wood: Cobra LD F Speed 15.5*
    Hybrids: Adams Super 15*, Cobra AMP 19*, Adams A4 22*
    Irons: Adams A4 Forged 5-9
    Putter: NC Sub 30 Type 50

Tomorrow's bag selection;

Driver: Epon AF101 with PL Red
    3 Wood: Cobra LD F Speed 15.5*
    Hybrids: Adams Super 15*, Cobra AMP 19*, Adams A4 22*
    Irons: Adams A4 Forged 5-9
    Putter: NC Sub 30 Type 50
    We didn't managed to complete 18 holes today. A line of storms came through at the half way mark and the siren was blown to stop play. They didn't get started again for more than 45 minutes, so we didn't both going back out for the back nine. We would have been finishing in the dark, plus there were more storms on the way.

However, I played pretty solidly for (most of) the nine and there a few things that were standing out;

The Epon AF101 is without doubt the straightest and one of the easiest to hit Drivers I own. Love it! I must reshaft my 2nd one and see if I can get it performing as well! It is close, but the shaft (a genuine Bassara) is perhaps a tad light for me.

The Cobra LD F is an old favorite and lived up to its familarity.

The Adams Super Hybrid looks great, but seems to be a bit of a hook machine for me. Time will tell.

The Cobra AMP is an easy as Hybrid to hit, and I found very accurate and easy to shape.

The Adams A4 22* has been in the last few bags, but hasn't seen the light of day till now. I had lengthened and re-gripped it since its first outing, and it felt much better.

The Adams A4s are very nice, and feel as good as they look. I was initially hesitant about the DG SL300s, they seemed a touch too tip stiff for me. But I am now finding that I am liking them a lot. They are also the shafts in the Callaway Apexs I played last comp round, and I seem to be hitting darts with them at the moment. My last couple of rounds have been some of my highest GIR rounds for quite a while.

The Wedges combo is hard to fault, as long as I am swing the clubs OK, they seem to be getting me up and down more often than not.

The NC Sub30 Type 50 is also working pretty well for me and I am growing to like the feel of it quite a bit.

I shot 4 over the front, and that included a double after a hooked tee shot on the 5th, so I my game is in reasonable shape at the moment.

Friday's are usually just a practice/social round for me, but today we played the 9 hole chook run, and played the back nine as well. My Bag included some new arrivals and was as follows;

Driver: TM R15 with PL Red Reg
    3 Wood: Cleveland Classic XL
    Hybrids: Adams Black Super Hybrid 15*, Callaway 815 20*, Adams A4 22*
    Irons: Nike VR Red Split Cavity Forged 5 - 9
    Putter:Tommy Armour Torch 38"

The R15 was coming out of the middle most of the day, but it took me a long time to work out how to aim it. It was coming good toward the end, and was longish, but needs another round to assess it a bit better.

The Cleveland Classic XL looks great at address, I hit some really good shots with it , and a couple of pull hooks, so the jury is out so far.

Ditto the Adams Black Super, greats shots and hooks. I am thinking it was more me than the clubs.

The Nike VR Splits felt great, hit some really solid irons with them when I got to use them.

Wedges were their usual reliable selves, and saved a few pars as usual.

The TA Torch CB is a strange feeling putter to use. The balls off the face with almost a ping and you feel a bit wary using it. But I can't argue with the results, and sunk pretty much everything I expected to with it.

No golf tomorrow, looking at properties with the chilblains!

The Epon AF101 is without doubt the straightest and one of the easiest to hit Drivers I own. Love it! I must reshaft my 2nd one and see if I can get it performing as well! It is close, but the shaft (a genuine Bassara) is perhaps a tad light for me.
    I grabbed the 2nd AF101 out and found the shaft was actually a 73g version, rather than a light weight 50 grammer I thought it was. It was a bit over length at 46"+, I suspect to get the SW up. I trimmed it back closer to 45" and added some lead tape. A preview run on Monday suggested it was better, so it gets a run in tomorrow's bag.

Tomorrow's Bag:

Driver: Epon AF101 with Bassara 73 x5ct Reg
    3 Wood: Cleveland Classic XL 15*
    Irons: Titleist AP2s (Originals)
    Putter: Odyssey Versa #7
    Last edited by Daves; 18th August 2015 at 09:25 PM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Look forward to the review on the AF 101..

Tractor Boys

I grabbed the 2nd AF101 out and found the shaft was actually a 73g version, rather than a light weight 50 grammer I thought it was. It was a bit over length at 46"+, I suspect to get the SW up. I trimmed it back closer to 45" and added some lead tape. A preview run on Monday suggested it was better, so it gets a run in tomorrow's bag.

Tomorrow's Bag:

Driver: Epon AF101 with Bassara 73 x5ct Reg
    3 Wood: Cleveland Classic XL 15*
    Irons: Titleist AP2s (Originals)
    Putter: Odyssey Versa #7
    I played pretty well on Wednesday, though I leaked a few over the last few holes as the round time dragged a bit. I shot a net 71 in the monthly mug, so happy with that.

The altered Epon Driver went pretty well, but still needs some fine tuning I think. I blocked a few left, which suggests to me that the shaft might be a tad heavy for me, or the SW is a tad hefty (I think it is now D5). Some further tinkering will hopefully improve the results even further. I did hit a few pearlers with it, baby draws that were longer than my average.

The Cleveland 3 wood looks a touch closed at address, though it is apparently actually square. Together with the Reg shaft, it makes it an easy draw/hook monster if you aren't careful. Having said that, it also makes it easy to hit those power draws that run and run. I am finding that feature handy on a few of our left right holes. I even hit it off the tee on a longer par 4 and it went pretty much driver length.

The original AP2s were in my bag for a long time, so I am pretty comfortable with them. They might not look quite as modern and sexy as the more recent models, but I think they are just as good in terms of performance.

The Versa #7 was pretty special first up. I canned a lot of longer putts, and distance control with it was spot on. I have a Tank #7 on the way, so looking forward to its arrival and doing some comparisons and fiddling with set up.

I normally play Saturdays, but have again been recruited to do some house hunting, so next comp round won't probably be till next Wednesday.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Keen to see how the Epon goes with a lighter shaft.

A, will it give you more length.
    B, will it give you better consistency.

Tractor Boys

Quote Originally Posted by kiwitown View Post
    Keen to see how the Epon goes with a lighter shaft.

A, will it give you more length.
    B, will it give you better consistency.
    Epon AF No 1 has a PL Red in stiff (64 grams) in it. It is the straightest driver I have used, not the longest, but sneaky long.The No. 2 Epon with the heavier Bassara is probably fractionally longer, but not quite as straight for me, not yet anyway.

Personally, I wouldn't want to go any lighter, but I prefer slightly heavier clubs. I find it helps me get the club in the slot more reliably, with my quick, relatively aggressive transition. If you have a slow, smooth transition you should be able to go lighter.

Thread Information