Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 61 of 62 FirstFirst ... 11 51 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 1538
    Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Another gap in my postings due to a few factors. Not lot of rounds played comparatively, but further Game Golf issues have stopped me uploading and having detailed stats to refer/compare to. Firstly, the Bag Update function stopped working/kept locking up. And when that was fixed, the Upload App kept falling over. I gather there is another server issue being worked on. I am now watching for a special on Arccos Link, as moving over seems to be getting more likely.

We have had a lot of wind in recent weeks and Wednesday's round was no different. A Cold SW kept building during the morning and was very gusty by the time we finished. The afternoon field definitely got the worst of it.

I started poorly, wiping the first hole and I lipped out the par putt on the second for a single point after two holes. I settled after that and finished the first nine with 15pts. Much more solid on the 2nd nine and I was unlucky to only tally 20 for 35 total. I got beaten out of 3rd in A Grade on a CB.

Driver 1: Callaway XR Pro 10.5* with Aldila NVS 55 Reg
    Driver 2: Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with PL Red Reg
    Fairway: Callaway XR 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Nike Vapor #3 19*
    I
    rons: Nike Vapor Fly 4 - PW
    Wedges Titleist Vokey 50* & 54*
    Putter: Affinity Touchstar CS CB 38"

I was very solid with both Drivers and barely missed a fairway all day. Both were straight and long, but I will give the Nike the win on the day.

My iron accuracy has been relatively poor of late. My striking is mostly OK, but in combating my bad shot pull right, I am now blocking more left. I did hit the 4i exceptionally well though and used it off the tee on some wind affected holes with good results.

Our greens are in great nick, but are being mown long at the moment. So they are very slow, grainy and stodgy to putt on. It took a while to get the pace. But once I got some momentum I very very solid on the greens (28 Putts). The Affinity is a super cheap putter ($20), I picked up from the US a long time ago. Lengthened and counter balanced it suits me very well and is as good for me as any of my much more expensive Putters.

I have given this thread a rest for a while. A combination of some issues with the Game Golf site, some poor golf and a feeling that my format had become a bit stale.

I was struggling with my irons in particular, which have been the weakest area of my play for a long time. The biggest frustration was the inconsistency. I would smash one shot and totally cruel the next, which quickly erodes the confidence and I seemed to be in defence mode way too often. I have gradually been able to work my way back. Still a lot of work to do, but my consistency is much better and my stats have improved noticeably.

This week I played Redcliffe on Monday with the Brissy Vets, then a Stab round and back marker Stroke at Reddie Bay. And I kept pretty much the same bag for the 3 rounds. I only swapped out an M4 3 wood for an M6 version. I also changed the loft on both Drivers.

I don't have GG stats for the Redcliffe because GG had another hiccup ( seems I tried to upload during a Site upgrade). I can probably get it recovered (the transfer file is still on my PC) if I message GG, but I can't really be bothered.

So the bag I played for the 3 rounds was;

Driver 1: Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 9.5 with Fujikura Rocketfuel 50 Stiff
    Driver 2: Taylormade M4 Tour 9.5* with Matrix HD Radix V Stiff
    Fairway: Taylormade M4/M6 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Taylormade GAPR Hi #3 19*
    I
    rons: Taylormade Burner 2.0 4 - PW
    Putter: Taylormade Rossa Monte Carlo CS CB 38"

I drove the ball OK at Redcliffe after a slow start where I was flaring them left. But they were coming out pretty low. So I changed both to +1.5* on the Adapters for the next two rounds. I drove the ball incredibly well in Wednesday's round at Reddie, only missing one fairway. I was just as solid with the RBZ on Saturday but I started poorly with the M4, this time hitting smother hooks over the first 3 holes of the back nine which cost me. I settled it down after that but was still noticeably short of the drives I did on the front nine with the RBZ. The RBZ was the clear winner for me, both on distance and control measures. I am usually not a great fan of increasing adapter loft due to the change in face angle look. but it worked this time for me.

I was very solid with the Burners, though I struggled a little with the short game on the tight lies we encountered on the approaches at Redcliffe. On Wednesday I hit 50% GIR and was only one green short of that on Saturday. Though there were two birdies on the front nine to offset that. I am hitting my irons about 2 clubs long at the moment. Which resulted in me
    sailing a few greens when I did not get the clubbing right into or with the wind.The strong Burner lofts partly explain about half that extra distance, the rest seems to be timing and striking. I should be able to sort this out over time and I am much happier with my iron play now.

My putting was super reliable. I barely missed anything inside 6 feet. I seem to be in a happy spot with my putting stroke at the moment. The Rossa has great alignment and feel and that certainly helped.

Final Stats;

Redcliffe: 29pts 57% FIR 11% GIR 30 Putts

Reddie Bay Wednesday: 39 Pts 92% FIR 50% GIR 30 Putts

Reddie Bay Saturday: 83/70 (71) 69% FIR 39% GIR 30 Putts
    Last edited by Daves; 4th October 2021 at 02:21 PM.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

About time. I like living vicariously through your posts, particularly as I'm not playing at the moment. At least I know your health is better than mine.
    Besides, the rest of the lefty golf economy needs to know you are still buying stuff.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    About time. I like living vicariously through your posts, particularly as I'm not playing at the moment. At least I know your health is better than mine.
    Besides, the rest of the lefty golf economy needs to know you are still buying stuff.
    Thanks Jim. Hope you are on the improve.

I do have some new purchase arrivals plus some others that are stuck in lockdown In Vic. There is a SIM 2, a ZX5 and a Ryoma Maxima pending. Stay tuned for reviews when I get them.

We had a public holiday last Monday, so no Vets round still today. I played on Wednesday and Saturday at Redland Bay.

I am trying to settle into a new format. Changing clubs every round is a bit a PITA. Especially as I have to update the bag each time on my Game Golf web page which is a slow process, because I have a 1000 clubs listed there. And not surprisingly it was effecting my consistency, though not perhaps how you would think. I found my swing dynamics had deteriorated, and using different clubs each round was making it hard to 1) identify the issues and 2) work on the fixes. I was also aware that using a different driver each nine (effectively for only 7 drives each round) was not letting me work out each driver and or maximise my results for assessment. Early days yet, but so far I m getting the outcomes I was hoping for. My ball striking has improved noticeably, which is bourne out by my stats and scores. Still lots of work to do, as consistency still needs some work, but I am getting there.

So for now I am looking to settle on a bag for the week and play it for my usual 3 comp rounds, with perhaps an odd change, if I have issues with a particular club.

This was a bit of a disjointed week, and I will need to get it back on a Monday to Saturday rotation, but for the last 3 rounds my bag was as follows:

Driver 1: Adams Fast 12 10.5* with Prolaunch Blue 55 Reg
    Driver 2: Adams Speedline Tech 10.5* with Matrix HD Radix V Stiff
    Fairway: Adams Insight XTD 14.5* 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Tour Prototype 18*
    I
    rons: Callaway 2013 X Forged 4 - PW
    Putter: Yes Athena Mallet/ STX 5.5 2 CS CB 38"

I had a really good week with the Drivers. A combination of some swing work, really getting to know each Driver, and a different ball all feed into to 77%/83%/73% FIR stats and distances I have not seen in quite a while. The ball in question is the Callaway Diablo. It is one of the balls that gets handed out with the Brisbane Vets, so I had a few but had not really used one till now. I seem to have adapted to it around the greens as well without drama. I preferred the Fast 12 slightly, though I got slightly longer results from the Tech. The Tech felt a touch harsh off the face, but nothing really off putting.

The X Forged were there to test my ball striking improvements and it was noticeable that I struck them cleaner and better overall. GIR stats were 28%/33%/33%, so still some way to go but the improvements also flowed into my short game and I made more up and downs. Partly, I guess, because my misses were closer, but my striking was also much crisper and clean. And my distance control was better as well. And I started making Birdies more consistently again.

The Athena was a new arrival and got thrown in the bag, perhaps prematurely. It was shorter than I normally play. I started OK with it but lost my distance control by the back nine. So the STX went in the bag for round two and my putting got back on track. I have lengthened the Athena now and it will get another run at opportunity. I also have a Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft #11 on the way that I am looking forward to trying.

So what were my scores for the 3 rounds?; 19/13 = 32, 21/18 = 39, 19/18 = 37 (Virginia).

It is Renovations week at Redland Bay his week, so not sure if I will have any proper rounds to record for the coming week.

Time for another weekly round up. Two weeks ago was renovation week at Reddie Bay, so no comp golf, just a couple of Gentsomes. This week I played Pacific with the Vets on Monday and had two Stab events back home.

Driver 1: Taylormade Sim Max D 10.5* with Fujikura ATMOS 5 Stiff
    Driver 2: Taylormade Sim 2 Max 9* with Fujikura Airspeed 45/PL Blue Reg/PL Red Stiff
    Fairway: Taylormade M2 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Taylormade SIM #3 19*
    I
    rons: Taylormade RocketBladez Tours 4 - PW
    Wedges Taylormade RSi1 50* & 55*
    Putter: Taylormade Spider Mallet 74 CS CB 38"/Yes Sandy 12 Mid 38"

I have had the SIM Max D since the beginning of the year and played it for several rounds without getting anything near the best out of it. This is one of the reasons I knew I needed to fix my swing, because my results were well below where they should have been with this tech. The SIM2 is a new arrival, having been held up for a couple of months by the VIC Lockdown. I am still waiting on a ZX5 I bought about the same time.

Monday's round at Pacific was an eye opener as I was hitting both clubs very well and long. My swing did deteriorate a little towards the end, but was pretty happy with the progress. One step forward and two back for the next round. I started well but lost the plot a little. My Tempo was off and I struggled with control. Still better than where I was but slow progress it seemed. Back out yesterday and I was back on song with the Drivers, and also really on with my irons, which was so satisfying. There is very little between the SIM versions. I had the SIM 2 set at +2* to get them as close as possible on spec. I probably favour the original SIM slightly. It won two out of the three sessions. But after Yesterday's effort I think the SIM 2 has more potential, but it is harder work for me. I hit the ball pretty low so the higher lofts tend to suit me more naturally. I hit both way longer than I have been able to for a long, long time.

Some comparative before and after numbers for the SIM;

Last 3 Rounds Prior 7 Rounds
    Average Distance 200M 167M
    Typical Drive (GG) 198M 182M
    FIR 77% 65%
    Longest Drive 245M 224M

The SIM 2 numbers for the same 3 rounds ;

Average Distance 192M
    Typical Drive 201M
    FIR 42%
    Longest Drive 238M

My iron striking is starting to show marked improvement. Still a lot of work needed, but yesterday I struck my irons as clean as I have in a long time. I am actually confident to take on some tough flags again. It scored me a Pro Pin yesterday, and it must have been very close to an eagle.

Cored greens means putting is a bit of a lottery still. I was pretty solid at Pacific and managed to keep all rounds to around 30 putts.

Stats for the week;

Scores of 34 (16/1, 31 (13/1, 36 (17/19).
    FIR 54% 77% 77%
    GIR 6% 17% 39%
    Putts 32 32 31

I played off 10 for the last two rounds, so single figures is back in sight if I can keep the improvements going.

This week I am playing Riverlakes tomorrow, and a couple of Stab events at Reddie Bay later in the week. I have a swag of new Ryoma Drivers to try.

Driver 1: Ryoma 2016 Maxima Type D 10.5* with Graphite Design AD MR - Reg
    Driver 2: Ryoma Maxima D-1 V Type 10.5* Graphite Design AD MX 65 Stiff
    Fairway: Lynx Parallax 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Lynx Parallax #3 19*
    I
    rons: Cobra King Forged Black CB/MB Combo 4 - PW
    Wedges Taylormade RSi1 50* & 55*
    Putter: Yes Sandy 12 Mid 38"

Another week of playing on recovering cored greens. Monday's Vet round was at Riverlakes. Wed and Sat were the usual single Stablefords at Redland Bay.

Two new to the collection Drivers this week, courtesy of Golf Mate Ebisu. I have another 3 in waiting for their first runs.

Very mixed rounds for me this week and it showed off the tee at times. I am trying to change my swing, or more correctly remove some limitations that have crept in over recent years. I am trying to get the lag back, settle my tempo and slow/delay my overly fast and at times erratic transition. It works for a fair percentage of swings but not always. I have found the SLKZ Gold Flex really helpful in getting me there, but I need to do more and get to the range for some drilling.

I started poorly at Riverlakes; Block, Block, Pull Hook, Pull for one point through the first 4! I forgot to swing the Gold Flex a few times before the first tee. Riverlakes 10th is not really the place to being hitting a Driver for the first time, without the usual warm up! Over the week I hit some very good drives with the Ryomas, and a few poor ones. Though I have to say it was nearly all about direction, as most strikes were out of the middle, or at worst high toe which I can live with. This did mean that bad direction shots went further into the Bunda than usual! In the end the 2016 D Type was the more consistent and easier to use Driver of the two. I struggled with direction more with the V Type, but it does seem to have a little more potential if I can tame it. I hit my longest Drives with it in each round, whereas I was able to work the D Type more easily into good positions more consistently. Both were competitively long and workable in comparison to the latest Drivers and also quite forgiving. All my Ryomas look very similar at address. The G Type looks slightly more closed, and the V Type a touch more so, but no overly so. The Toe looks just a touch higher, if anything.

My striking with the Cobra Forged Combo was pretty good all week. I was hitting them out of somewhere near the middle most of the time*. But intermittent big pulls were putting me in bad spots a lot of the time. My GIR stats were sound.

Putting was erratic on the bumpy surfaces and got worse as the week went on. I used my heavy cored greens putter all week and it helped but you can't do anything about the bumps off line and the weird lipouts you get in these conditions.

Stats for the week;

Scores of 26 (11/15), 30 (20/10, 32 (16/16).
    FIR 46% 46% 54%
    GIR 22% 28% 44%
    Putts 31 34 34

* Refer post in another thread!
    Last edited by Daves; 31st October 2021 at 08:12 PM.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Are you going to play in the Reddy Bay Open? I was going to put my name down for it. I was going to try and get a spot in the Windaroo Open as well.
    G/L

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    I was going to try and get a spot in the Windaroo Open as well.
    I was eyeing off the Windaroo Open too.

Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    Are you going to play in the Reddy Bay Open? I was going to put my name down for it. I was going to try and get a spot in the Windaroo Open as well.
    Not sure at this stage Bill. I don't usually play Sundays these days. But am keen if we don't have have anything else on (Grandparent duties). The booking sheet opens at the end of this week.

An interesting week with some very mixed rounds and extremes in my ball striking.

I started the week with a Vets round at Gainsborough Greens. Followed by a couple of single stablefords at Redland Bay on Wed. and Saturday.

Driver 1: Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5* with PL Blue Reg/UST Helium 4f3 Reg/ GD AD DI 7S
    Driver 2: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* with Alta CB Red 55 Stiff
    Fairway: PXG 0341X 3 Wood
    Hybrid: PXG 0371 #3 19*
    I
    rons: Cobra King Forged TEC Black 4 - PW
    Putter: Taylormade Spider Mallet 74 CS 38" CB

I had these two drivers in the bag this week because I don't believe I have not got anywhere near the best out of them in my previous rounds. Mainly due to my deteriorated swing mechanics, previously mentioned. I wanted to see if my swing work would translate to noticeably better results with these clubs. The short answer is yes, but I still have a lot of work to do! My ball striking was pretty solid on Monday. My Swing only let me down when I tried to step up a gear and lost my transition and rhythm. Only two missed Drives, but the both cost me. Everything else was on the short stuff in good position. Nothing particularly long (there was little run after the rain) ,but all solid. The Ping won out slightly on accuracy. There was nothing in distance between them.

I kept the momentum going in the Wednesday round. I was getting good distance, and was noticeably longer too (11m on average according to GG). This saw me go deeper into trouble when I missed my Drives (3 chip outs) but I was able to capitalise on the extra distance and scored solidly.

Saturday's round was unfortunately something of a step backwards. I lost my timing and tempo and was hitting a lot of shots out the toe and poorly. Still in all that I managed a couple of the longest Drives I have hit in a while (261m with the Ping on the 10th and 245m with the Callaway on the last).

I tried 3 different shafts in the Callaway, but really didn't find the sweet spot. I thought the Helium might have been too light, but the AD DI made little difference in feel or my results.

My iron striking was generally pretty good in the first two rounds, but not so much on Saturday. The TEC irons feel great and I really enjoyed them.

The greens have recovered pretty well ( Gainsborough greens looks to be at similar stage). So I was able to rack my cored green putter and go back to "normal". I putted pretty well most of the week and was solid, despite a number of wicked lipouts.

Stats for the week;

Scores of 32 (14/18 ), 37 (19/18 ), 29 (13/16).
    FIR 79% 57% 57%
    GIR 44% 17% 17%
    Putts 32 26 32

** Late Edit addition. Should also mention that the PXG 3 Wood and #3 Hybrid are both very good. Some of the best I have used.
    Last edited by Daves; 9th November 2021 at 02:05 PM.

I only got two rounds in this week. I didn't bother playing the Vets on Monday, the forecast was too dismal. Wednesday and Saturday rounds at Reddie Bay were stroke rounds off the back. Saturday being the delayed start of our Club Champs. I hit the ball pretty well both rounds but struggled to score, with little to no luck. I think I actually hit the ball better on Saturday but had a worse score. I ended up dead behind trees/tree roots a number of times in each round after wicked bounces. And as well as I putted, made nothing. Scores were (41/42) 83/72 and (43/48 ) 91/80.

Driver 1: PXG 0811XF 10.5* PL Red Reg
    Driver 2: Ryoma D-1 Maxima Type G 11.5* with Graphite Design AD MR GR2
    Fairway: Taylormade M6 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Taylormade GAPR Hi #3 19*
    I
    rons: Srixon Z565 4 - PW
    Putter: Yes Athena CB 38"

The PXG had only had a couple of previous runs, the Ryoma was a new arrival. Both went well, but my swing tempo/timing was a little off at times. I hit plenty of fairways with both though. They were both solidly long, and at times I managed to step on them for even longer drives. Both are a little closed at address, but nothing too off putting. I already had a 10.5* version of the Ryoma. With my low launch swing, I though I would see if extra loft helped at all. Probably not the best week for testing though as it was windy for most of the week and blowing a gale yesterday. Nevertheless, I never really hit it too high and I could not pick much between the 11.5* and the 10.5*.

I hit the Z565s very well, too well at times. I am getting significant extra distance with my swing revisions and sometimes I am overshooting by a long way. Historically I have had fairly steady yardages, so to be hitting shots 20m+ longer at times is proving hard to adjust to. The upside is that I am more confident in attempting difficult shots. And I am re-learning that preparation and routine are the keys. Don't rush the shot!

My short games was very mixed, tending to be either exceptionally good or exceptionally bad. Again, Prep and routine. When I did it I was hitting them dead, when I rushed Blaaah!

The Athena is another new Putter, only one previous outing I think, and that was in the original length (34") set up. I putted really well with it (no 3 putts), but made very little outside 6/8 feet.

Stats for the week;

FIR 69% 69%
    GIR 22% 28%
    Putts 32 34
    Last edited by Daves; 14th November 2021 at 09:16 AM.

I forgot to mention that I have been using a particular piece of equipment to help me with my swing. I have had it for a long time but it has been sitting gathering dust on my club rack.

It is the SKLZ Gold Flex Swing Trainer;

It has helped me enormously. Not only as a warm up tool, but in establishing 1) better takeaway, tempo, backswing speed and transition. 2) setting the wrists (lag) and feeling the hands leading the club head and 3) holding that lag and building swing speed and 4) I was surprised to find it improved my ball contact and striking enormously. A lot less toey hits! from when I was throwing the very little lag I had previously, away early.

I need to post a couple of weekly updates. This one covers 3 rounds on 20, 27 & 29 November. Lots of rain over the last few weeks, but the courses have generally been in pretty good condition, albeit with no run. at all. The first two were Club Champ rounds, the later a Vets round at Wynnum.

Driver 1: Taylormade M1 10.5* with Miyazaki Kusula Tour Black 61S
    Driver 2: Cleveland Classic 310 Tour with Miyazaki Kusula Tour Black 61S
    Fairway: Cleveland HB Launcher 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Clevleand HB Launcher #3 19*
    I
    rons: Taylorlmade Speedblades 4 - PW
    Putter: STX 5.5 2 CS CB 38"

I drove the ball OK for the most part and hit a high % of FIR each round, except for the last. But I did alternate a bit between pulls and blocks at times. Both of these are in my top 10 Drivers.

My iron play was less on song. Just could not get my tempo and rhythm right. And this played through to my short game which was below par.

Overall I did play reasonably solidly, but had no luck, and too many doubles and not enough pars.

Stats for the week;

FIR 62% 85% 31%
    GIR 11% 11% 17
    Putts 32 33

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I’m sure it’s been asked but I’m to lazy to go thru the pages. What’s the reason for 2 drivers?

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by bdoug10 View Post
    I’m sure it’s been asked but I’m to lazy to go thru the pages. What’s the reason for 2 drivers?
    If not the thread woukd be twice as long!
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    If not the thread woukd be twice as long!
    What Blakey said.

I have close to 200 Drivers. Add changeable shaft combinations to that. Two Drivers enables me 1) to get through them faster and 2) compare them on the same day and course with the same swing. I use Game Golf and have well over 700 rounds recorded, including individual Club stats.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

What’s the end goal? Do you think you will settle on a bag make up?

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Where would the fun be for Daves in that?

Short answer is no. I am combining my interest in club design and building, with my analytical bent, and adding some extra challenge and interest to my golf. The only true test of Clubs is on the course. When I first retired I spent a lot of time at the Driving range. That started my interest in testing different clubs. After a while, as I accumulated clubs, I moved my focus to the course and rarely go to the range these days (only if I want to drill a change). I have been doing Bag Lotto since 2014 and I am still enjoying it.

Even more rain in the last week or so. But the courses were somehow quite playable. Saturday was the last round of our club champs and I finally had a solid round. Monday the Vets were at Brisbane GC, and Wednesday was another Stroke round at Redland Bay. I had scores of 83/72, 81/71 (36pts) and 86/76.

Driver 1: Cobra King F9 10.5* with Aldila NV KVX 60S
    Driver 2: Cobra King Ltd 10.5* with PL Blue Reg
    Fairway: Cobra F Max 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Cobra Baffler Pro #2 18*
    I
    rons: Cobra King F8 4 - PW
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 7M C-B 38"

Damp courses and high humidity make Driver testing a bit of a challenge as it becomes more about carry and placement, rather than pure length. Both Drivers performed solidly and I had high FIR stats. Distance was really dependent on the that first bounce. Often it ended up being a mud ball (play as it lies) which made the next shot interesting. There wasn't a lot between these. The Ltd is usually longer on dry courses, but they were much the same in the wet. The F9 feels good off the face, but I still feel the F8 is longer. I have yet to try an SZ or a Rad to compare.

My iron play was pretty solid for the most part. And I really hit my straps with them around Brisbane on Monday. I hit a lot of GIR and my misses were mostly pretty close. The F8s felt great and have a lot forgiveness. They probably only lack a little on workability, and that may be a good thing because it makes you keep it relatively simple and straight. I have tendency to take too much on in shot shape at times, though you can't beat the feeling when you pull the shot off.

My short game was solid and that enabled me to take advantage with the Putter, around Reddie Bay at least. Unfortunately BGCs greens were unusually very grainy and like Treacle to putt on. Ever putt seemed to have to fight the grain to the hole. I made two birds nevertheless through some good approach shots.

Stats for the week;

FIR 62% 79% 62%
    GIR 11% 44% 22%
    Putts 26 34 28

Last edited by Daves; 11th December 2021 at 08:32 AM.

A couple of weeks to report.

I played comp rounds on the 11th, 13th and 15th. The 13th was around Pacific with the Brisbane Vets. I played solidly but am still not quite getting to the next level and staying there. I have runs of good play then loose the tempo and/or concentration for a while. I had scores of 33 (15/18 ), 30 (14/16), and 32 (12/20) points.

Driver 1: Ryoma Maxima D-1 D Type 10.5* with PL Axis Blue Reg
    Driver 2: Honma TW747 460 9.5* with Honma Vizard 60 Reg
    Fairway: Honma TW747 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Titleist 818 H1 20*
    I
    rons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V6 4 - PW
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Golo 5 Dual Balance 38"

This was my first time out with this particular Ryoma set up. It went OK once I got my head around the slightly closed face. But it took a while to settle in and pulls were the order of day till I did. That put me off balance a bit when I switched to the the Honma as well. I eventually got some control back and my last round was very solid with no pulls at all, and very solid accuracy and distance.

The V6s have C Tapers in them. I find them a touch tip firm, but quite good once I adjust to them. My striking was OK, but short of where I know I can get to.

I scrambled very well during the round on the 11th, OK in the other two. This reflected in my putting stats.

Stats for the week;

FIR 37% 43% 77%
    GIR 17% 11% 17%
    Putts 27 31 31

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    I have close to 200 Drivers.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

My reporting has stalled again, sorry. Some end of year non comp events (Ambroses) meant no data. Then the Game Golf Transfer App stopped working again, so again no data to report. The Ambrose Events were a bit of fun. They were played over obstacle courses set up by the Super (Green Keeper's Revenge).

I did get one more comp round in before Christmas, at Gailes with the Vets for 32 points with a wipe to start and finish the day!

Driver 1: Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with Graphite Design AD Di 7x
    Driver 2: Nike Vapor Flex 10.5* with Diamana S+ 60 Reg
    Fairway: Nike Vapor Fly 3 Wood
    Hybrid: N/A
    I
    rons: Ping i15 3 - PW
    Putter: Nike Ignite 4 CS Mallet C-B 38"

I was solid with both drivers for the most part. Only stumbling when i tried to hit them a bit harder. The Titleist was the most consistent, but I did sneak a few past with the Flex on a couple of holes.

I tried a 3i in place of a Hybrid for a change. Mixed results. I have some jacked 4is I use sometimes that can be useful on particular holes. But with the amount of rain we have had in recent weeks, most courses rough are un-mown and overgrown, so I am not sure that an Iron or Hybrid are going to make much difference.

I did putt solidly (29) on grainy slow greens.

The GG Transfer App is fixed so I have been able to upload and retrieve my rounds and get some data.

In the week 5/1 to 10/1 I played a Wed and a Sat round at Redland Bay. and then a Vets round at Oxley, for scores of 36, 31 & 30. I was reasonably happy with those scores as the rough was long an brutal on both courses. And the greens were very shaggy and slow at Oxley. No one really mastered them and the Daily Difficulty ended up at +2.

Driver 1: Callaway Razr Fit 9.5* with PL Blue Stiff
    Driver 2: Adams XTD 10.5* with MR Kuro Kage Black Reg
    Fairway: Callaway 2015 BB 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Titleist 915 Hd 18*
    I
    rons: Adams CB3 with Matrix Program 8.1 Reg 4 - PW
    Putter: Yes Stephanie Mallet C-B 38"

I am trying to get through Drivers I have not bagged for a long time. Both these had been close to 2 years since their last appearance. And both performed pretty well. I am a low launcher normally so I had to adjust to Razr Fit, but it didn't take long once I worked out not to force the shot. It still looks a classic driver at address. The XTD looks larger, and the Speed Slot can be polarising but it is pretty easy to hit. Both hold their own with modern drivers.

My Iron play was pretty solid in all the rounds. The CB3s are a favorite (I have 2 sets!), and I was able to hit plenty of greens, or have close misses that gave me up and down chances.

I putted solidly in each round. In the end it was my visits to the rough and its length that determined my score each round.

Rounds Stats were;

FIR 69% 73% 79%
    GIR 44% 22% 33%
    Putts 32 29 31

And the latest week ended on Monday at Keperra with the Vets. Prior to that I played two comp rounds at Redland Bay. Scores were 32, 28, 31 respectively. Thick, wet, heavy rough was the main feature again . Keperra in particular was mostly unmown. The rough was very long and thick and it was hard to find balls unless you were standing over them. It was a 5+ hr round as a result. And the greens were pretty poor; patchy, bumpy and variable speeds. We played with a member who said he thought they were well down on green staff due to Covid.

Driver 1: Nike VR II Pro Limited Edition 10.5* with Diamana 83 g4't Reg
    Driver 2: Cleveland 588 Custom 9* PL Red Stiff/Miyazaki Kauli 5S
    Fairway: Cleveland 588 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Nickent Genex 3DX 17*
    I
    rons: Titleist 714 AP1/710 AP2 Combo 4 - PW
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #11 Soft Mallet 35"/C-B 38"

Neither of these Drivers had seen my bag for a number of years. Each had only one prior comp round outing. I settled into the Nike fairly quickly. Though I did weight it up a bit after the first round as it was lighter than my normal MOI setting. The Cleveland took longer. I struggled with till I swapped to the lighter Miyazaki Shaft. I have a 10.5* version that has had more use, but I found I could flight the 9* OK, once I tuned it. Both performed pretty well comparatively. Lots of FIR and good distance when hit well. And they were reasonably forgiving for their age. The VR II looks great at address. The Cleveland is a larger footprint but it still looked pretty modern from above.

It took me a little while to adjust to the Titleist combo. I have never been a great fan of the AP1 feel/sound and lack of feedback. But I slowly worked them out and I was pretty solid with them towards the end. I did manage to hit all the par 3s (5) in reg at Keperra.

My short game was solid most of the time. But it was tough out of the rough when you got into it. Putting was average. These were my first outings with the Huntington Beach. I started with it at it standard 35"length, but lengthened it to my normal C-B 38" after the first round.

The Week's Stats were;

FIR 69% 54% 62%
    GIR 28% 17% 28%
    Putts 33 31 35

Thread Information