Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 62 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 55 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Put them straight into play today and the first six shots wete horrible but then I started to flush a few.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Put them straight into play today and the first six shots wete horrible but then I started to flush a few.
    They sounded great today. You just need to learn to trust them and hit the shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post

Bag selection for tomorrow;

Driver: Nike Covert VR-S Tour with PL Red. Glued it up this arvo, so first run for this club.
    Hybrid: Adams 9031 Black #1, #2 & #3
    Irons: Titleist AP2s
    Wedges: Yururi 53* & 61*
    Putter: Scotty Kombi.
    The Covert was interesting. Probably one of the straightest drivers I have hit. It didn't seem to match with the PL Red all that well. Seems to me it needs a more active and higher launching shaft with my 95mph ish swing. I will have to check out the larder.

The AP2s were very reliable for most of the day. They really are a forgiving club, without the thick topline to put you off.

Tomorrow's bag;

Driver: Callaway BB Alpha 815 with Speeder shaft (arrived today, thanks Stealth2)
    Hybrids: Adams Pro Gold Protos #1, #2 & #3
    Irons: Titleist 714 CBs with i95s
    Putter: Undecided, might give the Kombi a rest tomorrow?

Tomorrow's bag;

Driver: Callaway BB Alpha 815 with Speeder shaft (arrived today, thanks Stealth2)
    Hybrids: Adams Pro Gold Protos #1, #2 & #3
    Irons: Titleist 714 CBs with i95s
    Putter: Undecided, might give the Kombi a rest tomorrow?
    The 815 is a keeper, liked it a lot.

The CBs with Steelfibers are really growing on me. I found the feel a bit different at first, but can't argue with the results, and these are very accurate to use. I find the Titty CBs (all models) fairly forgiving as well. Gave the TM Spider S a run, with similar results to the Kombi. I probably have a slight preference for the non insert milled face of the Scotty.

Today's bag as follows;

Driver: Cobra Bio Cell + with PL Red
    Fairway: Adams Insight XTD Pro 14.5*
    Hybrids: Adams Pro Gold #2 & #3
    Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo
    Putter: Scotty Squareback

Today's bag as follows;

Driver: Cobra Bio Cell + with PL Red
    Fairway: Adams Insight XTD Pro 14.5*
    Hybrids: Adams Pro Gold #2 & #3
    Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo
    Putter: Scotty Squareback
    The Bio Cell + went very well. Next step will be to try some diiferent shafts in it. I love the VR Pro Combos, they are up there with the Cobra Pros as one of my most favored sets. The Squareback felt pretty good, perhaps a little light in the head, but that may be bias from using larger mallets for a while.

Tomorrow's bag;

Driver: Ping i25 with PL Red. First Ping Driver for me.
    Hybrid: Hybrid #1, #2 & #3
    Irons: Adams V4 forged
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX 46*, Yururi 53* & 61*
    Putter: Scotty Kombi

Tomorrow's bag;

Driver: Ping i25 with PL Red. First Ping Driver for me.
    Hybrid: Hybrid #1, #2 & #3
    Irons: Adams V4 forged
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX 46*, Yururi 53* & 61*
    The i25 was a mixed bag. It started out fairly ordinary after an OK drive down the first, I started hitting them out of the toe. Half way round I twigged that the shaft might be a bit long, gripped down and started finding the middle. Very solid once that was solved and quite a straight driver. Next time round will be with another shorter shaft.

The Adams V4s are an interest set, forged with Adams black finish, but with lots of offset and cavity. The top line is quite thin, so it isn't so noticeable till the 6i and 5i, when you can see the big bum from above. They have potential, but so far I can't quite get the feel of them. I suspect it is the lightweight shafts that I am struggling with. When I catch one they really fly, and the strong lofts appeal to me a little as something different for the mix of irons I play, that make me think my club selection more carefully, and add some variety.

Love the Cleveland RTX PW (46), this is a real scoring club for me, and as good as the best PW feels in my sets. A great inclusion for sets that I only have down to 9i, or the PW isn't my favorite club.

Today's bag

Driver: TM SLDR 10.5* with Miyazaki Kusula Black. I am not a TM Driver fan I have to say, will be interesting how I go with this, given its rep.
    Hybrids: Adams A12 Pro #1, #2 & #3
    Irons: Titleist 710 AP2

Today's bag

Driver: TM SLDR 10.5* with Miyazaki Kusula Black. I am not a TM Driver fan I have to say, will be interesting how I go with this, given its rep.
    Hybrids: Adams A12 Pro #1, #2 & #3
    Irons: Titleist 710 AP2
    It took a little while to get the hang of the SLDR, hits felt like the head was a hard block of wood. It launches really, really low. The Miyazaki Black probably didn't help the launch either. There was a time when a club like this would go hard left for me, ditto most TMs Drivers I have found. But a swing rejig last year doesn't see me lose too many that way anymore. These were mostly straight with the odd baby draw, I would still really struggle to get this to go hard right though. Once I worked out how to aim it, it was quite effective and reasonable long (lots of run out). I really need to get the launch up though, even with the adapter set at +1.5* it was really low.

Tomorrow's bag;

Driver: Titleist 910 D3 with PL Blue S
    Hybrid: Titliest 910H #1, #2 & #3
    Irons: Ping i5s
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi

Tomorrow's bag;

Driver: Titleist 910 D3 with PL Blue S
    Hybrid: Titliest 910H #1, #2 & #3
    Irons: Ping i5s
    I guess my score is the best way to review this latest rotation. My best round for a while, though my consistency, and my ball striking have been building towards it for a little while now. I managed to accumulate 43 points in yesterday's comp to take out A Grade. The front nine was an even par 24 points, the back a more measly 19 points, after a little wobble after the turn. I came home in -1 for the last four holes to finish it off.

The D3 with PL Blue was a dart. Not super long, but consistently long and straight. I only missed 2 fairways (the wobble) all day with it.

The Titleist Hybrids were a bit a revelation, after a fair period of Adams only in the bag. I actually hit a couple of shots way long and through the greens when I flushed them.

The i5s are the classical GI clubs, with a little bit of workability when you need it. 50% GIR is a pretty good for me, but in reality there were another 3 or 4 approaches that were only missed by a metre or 2 (mostly long). A great 9i to a few feet for bird on the last left me feeling pretty good about the i5s, and also the i15 heads sitting on my workbench waiting to be shafted up. I will probably get a chance to do those shafts tomorrow, because it doesn't look like there is a hope in hell of me playing tomorrow!

Out of curiosity Daves.

Do you ever have trouble adjusting to new clubs every round?
    I wonder if this experiment would be better with a few rounds if each set?

Then again i saw some photos of your shed. No wonder you change every round!!

You dont have a 4 hybrid you want to part with do you?

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

What are the clubs you rate the highest Daves?
    What clubs would be in your "All Star" bag?

Quote Originally Posted by RobNewy View Post
    Out of curiosity Daves.

Do you ever have trouble adjusting to new clubs every round?
    I wonder if this experiment would be better with a few rounds if each set?

Then again i saw some photos of your shed. No wonder you change every round!!

You dont have a 4 hybrid you want to part with do you?
    Adjusting is part of the fun, I find. It becomes pretty easy after a while, and there is some element of improved awareness I think, as you adjust for distance/lofts/forgiveness variances. I do play practice rounds, and there are occasions that some clubs will get 2 outings in a row (or more) e.g. weekends away. As you say, it would take forever to get through them all if I didn't change them constantly.

I have a few #4s, and another one (a Wilson DXI) on the way. I think there are a few #5s in the collection as well. They might get a run with a cut down set of blades at some stage. I will see if I have anything spare. What are you after, anything in particular?

Cheers for the reply.

Im after a Nickent 5DX 20* with an Aldila NV85.

My McGregor broke a little bit on the weekend, and i have a 17* 5DX that i love so after something similar

Quote Originally Posted by aussieashley View Post
    What are the clubs you rate the highest Daves?
    What clubs would be in your "All Star" bag?
    Hi Ash,

Still working on the ratings, but in reality I can play pretty well with most of them I have found.

I love the Cobra S3s Pro Combos, they feel absolutely fabulous to use, ditto the Nike VR Pro Combos. And the Mizzys 53/59s are pretty nice to use as well. The AP2, i5s and A12s are easy as to hit and still feel nice. Add to that list the TM TP CBs and the Titty CBs.

A good set of Hybrids can cover a whole heap of situations and weakness with other clubs. I quite like Fairways, but struggle to justify them when I can hit Hybrids just as far.

There is a barely a Driver in the collection I can't use effectively, and with a mirade a shaft options I can keep the rotations going forever! There is probably only 10m difference in average distance between them, a few can get out there a bit further when needed, but I can work around each ones strengths and weaknesses.

In reality I tend to stick to same important clubs most rounds, the wedges and the putter. They are the scoring clubs for me and can cover a mirade of sins with the others.

Quote Originally Posted by RobNewy View Post
    Cheers for the reply.

Im after a Nickent 5DX 20* with an Aldila NV85.

My McGregor broke a little bit on the weekend, and i have a 17* 5DX that i love so after something similar
    Nothing in Nickent with that much loft, only 14* and 17* at present. You aren't a lefty though are you?

Nothing in Nickent with that much loft, only 14* and 17* at present. You aren't a lefty though are you?
    I didn't realise you were a lefty either!Kindly disregard

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

haha I was nearly going to chime in!!! Nice round Dave, got it going on

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Time to get some JDM irons Dave

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyD View Post
    Time to get some JDM irons Dave
    Tourstage X Blade 701s already in the collection, but wouldn't mind some Miuras, Epons or similar, even Srixons!

Today's bag;

Some more clubs arrived last week, so some newies to try.

Driver: Nike Covert 2.0 tour with Kuro Kage Silver
    Fairway: Wilson Staff Fybrid #3 15*
    Hybrids: 910H #2, Wilson Staff DXI #4
    Irons: Ping i15 with R400s
    Wedges : Yururi 53* & 61*

Wow a fairway in the bag and no Adams hybrids!! This could be interesting.

Today's bag;

Some more clubs arrived last week, so some newies to try.

Driver: Nike Covert 2.0 tour with Kuro Kage Silver
    Fairway: Wilson Staff Fybrid #3 15*
    Hybrids: 910H #2, Wilson Staff DXI #4
    Irons: Ping i15 with R400s
    Wedges : Yururi 53* & 61*
    Quote Originally Posted by backintheswing View Post
    Wow a fairway in the bag and no Adams hybrids!! This could be interesting.
    The Fybrid went OK, I could see the crossbreed advantages. I might give my FW fav, the Cobra tonk machine a run in the next bag.

The Covert 2.0 was a real struggle though. It only wanted to go left, and I just couldn't seem to catch it right. I managed a couple of straight ones late, but they barely got off the ground. And it felt horrible, even when I found the middle of the face. A check today threw up a few things;

1) I had the loft settings wrong. I didn't twig that the adapters are only RH orientated, so what I thought was 12.0*, was actually 8* (and the face would have been 3+* open).
    2. It SWs at D6 from the factory, too heavy for Driver for me.
    3. The KK shaft is extra big in the butt and the grip has a substantially larger diameter as a result. It also seems to be pretty soft, more A than R I reckon.

So I will give it another run at later date, with a few mods and see if it improves the feel and results.

I built the i15s on Tuesday, to the same length as my i5s, but with heavier R400s. I didn't pay much attention to their SWs, as I am used to and like playing heavy irons. However these ended up much heftier than I expected, D9 to E3. They went OK, but just didn't feel as good as the i5s and were a little more inconsistent. I hit some good shots with them, but they just didn't feel quite right. So I did a refit counter weighting job on them today to match the SWs of the i5s.

I still managed to scramble 35 points, mainly due to my GW, and PW putting quite a few recovery approaches inside 2m to scramble par.

I found it hard to do anything but fade/slice the Covert 1.0 that I had. Didn't matter what loft or face angle I had it set on.
    WITB
    Ping G430 LST 9 @10 - Tensei 1K Black 65S
    Titleist TSi2 16.5* - Tensei 1K Black 75S
    Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei 1K Black 75S
    Ping G400 23.5 - Vista Pro 80 S or Ping i210 4 - Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Ping i210 5-PW - Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Vokey SM9 50F, 54D, 60M -Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Odyssey 7S OG

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

2.0 tour driver was more fade biased than anything I've ever hit too. Even when you set the face angle to "left" which actually brings it back to near square, it's still a right machine.
    Last edited by JADO75; 8th May 2015 at 07:24 AM.
    Taylormade M1 16' 430 10.5* Attas G7s
    Taylormade M1 17' 460 10.5* Rogue 125msi 60s
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9* Rogue 125msi 60x
    Titleist 917 D2 9.5* Rogue 125msi 70s
    Cobra King LTD AD MT 7s
    Taylormade M2 15* Speeder Pro 73s
    Taylormade SLDR 19* Matrix HD7s
    Titleist 716 AP2 5-PW KBS Tour V X stiff
    Cleveland 588 Rotex 2.0 Raw Wedges 50* 54* 60* KBS Hi Rev
    Callaway MD3 64* PM Grind
    Taylormade Spider Si 35" Slant Neck

Quote Originally Posted by goonie View Post
    I found it hard to do anything but fade/slice the Covert 1.0 that I had. Didn't matter what loft or face angle I had it set on.
    Quote Originally Posted by JADO75 View Post
    2.0 tour driver was more fade biased than anything I've ever hit too. Even when you set the face angle to "right" which actually brings it back to near square, it's still a left machine.
    I had read it was fade biased, but didn't realise it was that much inclined. I will be interested to see if I can tame it? I have a Covert 1.0 Tour and it has been nothing like the 2.0 for me so far. I have a PL Red I have used in it, might have to try it in the 2.0. Ditto I might try the KK Silver in the 1.0 and see how it goes.

Time to rotate the wedges and putter, or is this a fake lotto?????
    Last edited by damoocow; 8th May 2015 at 10:49 AM.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by damoocow View Post
    Time to rotate the wedges and putter, or is this a fake lotto?????
    The actual lotto part hasn't started yet. We haven't quite reached the required 80 combinations.

A serious question for you, Daves. Having looked out my window today and seen a fairly strong breeze blowing, do you take weather conditions into account when making your assessments. Have you got to the point where you can pick combos for windy conditions, calm conditions, firm conditions v soft conditions?
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Thread Information