Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3 43 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 1538
    Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

I was back out yesterday for a single Stableford at Reddie Bay. We were playing the same pins but off the forward Blue tees. I started poorly, the slide was back and I was pushing them left. And the golf gods were extracting their vengeance in the rough. My front nine was totally forgettable, 4 wipes and 10 points total. My second nine was much better, I made par on the first four holes, made another two, only to spoil it was a couple of doubles. Still I accumulated another 19 points for the total, and it probably should have been 22/23, but for some silly errors.

Driver: Cobra F8 with Aldila NV 2 KXV 60s
    Fairway:Cobra Baffler F Rail 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Golf Proto 18*
    Irons: Cobra Forged TEC 4 - PW
    Wedges TM RSi 1 50*, Yururi 53* & 57*
    Putter: Yes Natalie CS CB 38"

My Driving was very mixed, as mentioned. When I got it right, it was very good and the F8 feels sensational out of the middle. But the slide kept bobbing up and my hip was giving me curry.

The Forged TECs got a big workload, but more often than not I was in recovery mode, hitting back out of the trees and then putting pressure on the next shot. I was striking the ball pretty well, but I am still struggling with my angles and my direction at times. And it seemed that when I missed, it was always the wrong side.

Again my short game and putting were mixed. I didn't make much of any length and left more than a few in the jaws. Early on the short game was off, but it came good on the back nine and I was hitting them dead.

Different course, better ball striking, same result! Monday's round was at Wynnum. The course was in really good nick after the rain, though the rough had still not been mowed in places. Even if it had been mowed, it was super thick and a challenge to hit out of. The green were very good and quick. We found out they had their medal round on Saturday and we were playing the same pins.

I started OK, but then stumbled and finished with only 13 points on the nine with one wipe. My back nine was very mixed, 15 points with two wipes.

Driver: Adams Redline RPM 430Q 10.5* with Aldila NVS 65 Reg
    Fairway:Adams Insight XTD Pro 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Adams A4 Boxer 19*
    Irons: Adams CB3 with Matrix Program 8.1 Reg 4 - PW
    Wedges TM RSi 1 50*, Yururi 53* & 57*
    Putter: Adams A12 OS Mallet CB 38"

The RPM has been a very accurate driver for me in its two previous outings. I thought I would see if it could survives/override my recent push left tendency. It did for the most part. I missed only 4 fairways, 3 of which were pushes, the other an overcompensating pull. It wasn't particularly long, there wasn't any run. But you don't really need long around Wynnum. There is definitely limited forgiveness on off centre hits compared to modern drivers, but otherwise it is very enjoyable to use. I haven't toyed with the weights as yet. It is currently heavy weights back and I don't really see the need to change it as the ball flight and spin seem generally OK.

Where I did more damage in the round was with the A4 Hybrid. Every shot went straight left and high. I persisted but it never got better. I am still puzzled as if anything I would normally fear a hook with this club.

The CB3 were very solid. I really like these irons and I hit more greens than usual with them. The ball flight is high, so you need to be aware of this. It can be handy if you need to stop a ball quickly, but it adds some challenge in strong wind.

My short game was very mixed. Partly due to the bunkers that were a bit of a mess. Washed out and yet to be re-sanded etc. Or the opposite, washed out and a huge load of sand had been dumped into them, but not spread. The lies got quite interesting!

My putting was OK on the quick greens, but I still managed two 3 jabs. I never quite got comfortable with the offset on the A12, but it feels OK off the face.

My round yesterday was a single Stableford at Reddie Bay. I started very solidly with a 3 point par, then 7 straight 2 pointers, but wiped the last on the nine after a poor drive for 17 points out. Not quite as consistent on the second nine but no wipes for 18 points with a single bird. The rough is tough at present. Stray off the fairway and you are going to struggle, if you can find your ball in the first place. They just sit down in it, the rough is being mown at 50mm, so near 10mm over a ball's diameter. The green are looking and rolling terrific at present.

Driver: TM M4 9.5* Tour issue with MR Kuro Kage Black Reg
    Fairway:TM SLDR 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Adams Red 18*
    Irons: TM AeroBurners 4 - PW
    Wedges TM AB 49*, Yururi 53* & 57*
    Putter: TM Spider Ghost 38"

I was pretty solid with the M4. I did have few poor hurried swings, but otherwise was hitting the Driver pretty well. Still not a lot of run in the course, but I was getting good length most of the time. This M4 is quite open at address and I have found I can hit little draws with it, without the worry of it going hard right. I have also realised that consciously trying to fire the hips doesn't work and was the main cause of the case of the push lefts I developed. No pushes in this round, only drop kick drags when I got too quick.

It has been a while since I have bagged the Aeroburners. They have got plenty of booty and don't look that enticing sitting in my club rack. But none of that is really noticeable at address. They look OK from above and there isn't really an excess of offset to put you off. I found they quite good and easy to hit, even quite workable when needed.

My short game was mixed. I was chipping them reasonable close but not always converting the putt. To counter that I did sink some good putts late, and never looked like 3 jabbing any green.

Today's round was at Wantima, a course I have not played for a quite a while. For those that don't know, this is Cameron Smith's home club. It was still drying out and they were struggling still with the mowing as it was still pretty wet in places. But it was in pretty good nick considering. Preferred Lies were in force. The greens were mint, I heard not a nary of a complaint about them.

My bag selection was based mainly on my Sub 80 round performance data. Or at least the Driver and Irons were. I probably should have extended that to the Putter also. I didn't putt badly, I just didn't make much and missed a couple I shouldn't have. It mattered nought in the end, because 1) I did break 80 (38pts/79 Strokes), and 2) I won the day (or A Grade at least) , so any extra would have been wasted!

Driver: Cleveland Classic Tour 290 with c Kua 43 Reg
    Fairway:Cleveland Classic 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Cleveland Mashie M2 18*
    Irons: Cleveland 588TT 4 - PW
    Wedges TM AB 49*, Yururi 53* & 57*
    Putter: SC Futura 7M C-B 38"

I was solid with the Driver most of the day, and when I wasn't it was nothing too drastic. There was no run as such, so I was pretty happy with the distances I was getting. The Classic is a beautifully deep faced Driver head, and this set up is a light weight style that Cleveland does so well.

Love the 588TTs. They are one of my favorite sets, not just because I can score low with the, they feel terrific as well. The forged faces work well and I hit lots of greens with them.

My short game was mixed. I hit lots of greens, so it wasn't called on a lot. But I didn't make many U & Ds, despite having my chances. I didn't convert any of my GIRs into birdies either, so there is some more upside if I can get the short game back on song.

Yesterday was a Monthly Medal round at Reddie Bay. By the time we teed off there was a 25knot+ SE blowing, just to make it more interesting. I ground out the first nine, playing to handicap. But had a couple of bad scores on the back nine that slowed the grid to a crawl. But I managed to finish 1 over for the last four, with a Bird on the last, for an 87/75 result.

I selected another sub 80 bag, but didn't manage to get this one across the line this time.

Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS 10.5* with Aldila NVS K Reg
    Fairway:Adams Tight Lies 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Adams 9031 Pro Black 18*
    Irons: Adams A12 Pro 4 - PW
    Wedges A12 Pro 50*, Yururi 53* & 57*
    Putter: Seemore Si3 CS Cb 38"

My Stats with the Fast 12 LS didn't look that good, but I was mostly quite happy with how it went. My misses were mostly only slight, but the problem is that our rough at the moment makes any miss costly. There is no first cut, miss by 6 inches and you struggle to find your ball, let alone hit it. Add to that a couple of bad rubs and it cost me shots I really couldn't afford. Otherwise the LS was long and very easy to hit. It (they, I have a few!) just works and always has for me.

My striking with the A12 Pros was pretty poor for the most part. I did hit a couple of very good shots, but my full swing was off and I wasn't hitting the middle very often.

Which was somewhat ironic, because my short game was very warm for most of the round. My chip and run game was sharp and I finished off with a chip in on the last off a very difficult lie/stance. My putting was very solid. My distance control was a good as it gets, long putts were comfortably finishing inside 2 feet or better. A couple of lipouts spoilt an otherwise superior putting round.

Yesterday was my first round in nearly two weeks and the rust showed, literally! I was supposed to play on the 10th but we got rained out. Despite taking the irons out of the bag and wiping them down and leaving them out, the shafts are showing plenty of surface rust now! I started well ,but then had to scrambled hard.

Driver: Callaway X2 Hot 10.5* with Aldila Tour Blue ATX 55 Stiff
    Fairway:Nickent Genex 3DX 14*
    Hybrid: Nickent Genex 4DX 17*
    Irons: Callaway Apex 4 - PW
    Wedges Yururi 49*, 53* & 57*
    Putter: Yes Stacey 12 CS CB 38"

I was never really in rhythm with the X2 Hot. Few were coming out of the middle and my distance was down. There was a bit of breeze to contend with and my swing was rusty. Then I was trying to fix it , which rarely ends well. I manage to mostly keep it in play, but relied to much on my 2nd shot on too many holes.

The Nickent 14* went very well for the most part. The 17* didn't get used though.

My striking was better with the Apexs, but till well below par. I did hit above average GIR though.

The short game was cold though. Partly because of cored greens, partly rust. Putting was a lottery, aim at the hole and hit it was the order of the day.

Friday's round was a Black Marker Challenge. I started poorly and stumbled to 14 points on the front. I lead the group at that stage, so the quality of golf all round wasn't that high. I was much solider on the back, and managed 18 points for a 32 point total.

Driver: TM M1 460 10.5* with Miyazaki kusula tour 61S
    Fairway:Bridgestone J15 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Nickent Genex 4DX 17*
    Irons: Cobra King Forged CB/MB Combo 4 - PW
    Putter: Yes Sandy 12 Mid 38"

I was off with my Driver swing at the start. I just did not seem to be finding the middle for most of the day. I missed more fairways than I hit and only managed 1 FIR on the front nine. 5/7 coming home was the main reason for the better score on that nine. I like the TM M Series Drivers and usually get on OK with them. I think I was trying to force shots that were not my best option with my swing as it is. The second nine sort of reflected coming to grips with both and aiming more to keep it in play, than hitting shots per sec.

I love the Cobra Forged combos, and this latest set is as good as any of them. They just feel and sound so good off the face. Despite a poor driving performance, I was still mostly hitting greens or leaving them close when I was in range.

I struggled a bit with the short game. The cored greens made it really hard to get them consistently close. And a lack of confidence on the putt lottery certainly doesn't help. I had my Sand putter in the bag and it helped a bit, but the end result was much the same.

Yesterday was single Stab at Reddie Bay. The same course as Friday, but off the Blue Tees. My score was the same, off 1 shot less. I drove the ball better though, but did not really convert anymore than the two previous rounds. 15/17 for 32 was the end result.

Driver: Cobra King F8 10.5* with Aldila NV 2 KXV 60S
    Fairway:Bridgestone J15 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Cobra Baffler DWS 20*
    Irons: Cobra Bio Cell + 4 - PW

I was hitting them out of the middle with the F8, though my accuracy wasn't great. Only 1/7 on the front and I got punished badly by the Tree Gods. If I went near a tree, I ended up against it, or behind it. 5/7 on the way back reflected some improved accuracy, though the Tree Gods had not finished with me!

It has been a while since I played the Bio +. I enjoyed them and was pretty solid again when I was close enough.

Much of the same with the short game, though I made a couple of really good U & Ds from difficult lies and positions. But in the end my putting stats were much the same.

My golfing activity has been slowed significantly for obvious reasons, but I have managed 3 isolated rounds over the last couple of weeks. The golf has generally been of a very average standard, but for different reasons each time. We have been playing on cored greens, which has negated the short game to a fair degree, and made putting generally a lottery, However otherwise, Reddie Bay course overall is in the best condition it has been in for at least a few decades according to long term members, and I can't disagree with that view from my 13 years of membership experience. So it is a joy just to be out there.

I played a Single Stab on 28/3 and could only manage 27 points (13/14) with 4 wipes. I started well with a par on our index 2 first, but that was my only 3 pointer for the day and it was a slide down hill from there.

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 8.5* with Diamana D+ 70 S
    Fairway:TM M4 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Callaway Epic #3 19*
    Irons: Ping i15 4 - PW
    Putter: Yes Sandy Mid CB 38"

I drove the ball OK, apart for the odd pull. But I got punished every time I stray off the short stuff.

My iron work was OK, but nothing special. IO was thereabouts most of the time, but the short game and putting (35) were negated by the cored greens.

My next round was on 4/4 for another Single Stab. This time I managed 30 points (14/16) with only one wipe. My problem this time was with the Driver.

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex 10.5* with Diamana S+ 60R
    Fairway:TM M5 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Callaway XR Pro 18*
    Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo 4 - PW
    Putter: Yes Jennie 35"

I was having issues swinging the Flex. The weight port lip at the back of the sole was catching on the ground on the takeaway. i have encountered this spasmodically before, but not to the extent of this day. I have also had the issue occasionally with the TM M6 which has a similar keel type of sole. I try to keep my Driver takeaway low and wide and that is where the problem emanates. It is something very hard to fix during a round. The result is normally a disjointed abbreviated takeaway, and a resulting hard pull right as I try to save it. In the end I gave the Driver a rest for a while and used the 3 Wood instead. It was a disappointment because I like the Flex a lot and the sound and feel is somewhat unique and quite appealing.

The best part of the round was the VR Pros. I love these irons. They are right up there with the Cobra Combos for looks and feel. I was striking them pretty well too. but I had too because I was in trouble some much off the tee.

It was the same story as last round with the short game and putting (34).The cored greens negated any finesse around the green.

Which brings me to Wednesday's round, another Single Stab. Again I struggled to score, finishing with 30 points (12/18 ). The back nine was the positive, as I started to slowly turn it around.

Driver: Ryoma Maxima D1 - G Type 10.5* with Aldila NVS 65S
    Fairway:TM M6 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Cobra Max #3 19*
    Irons: ADAMS M2 4 - PW
    Putter: Yes Natalie CS CB 38"

I was quite happy with the way I drove the Ball with the Ryoma. There was a little bit of Lawnmower golf, Push, Push, Pull, as I tried to get my aim right, but nothing greatly offline. They were all straight with good flight. I don't remember missing the centre of the face all day, so I can't really say how forgiving it is. The strikes did feel good and the look at address is quite easy to live with. There is no obvious tech on these drivers, other than the rear mount weight. The G Type has a gold looking finish on the sole which looked good matched to the Tan NVS shaft.

I enjoyed the MB2, though not as much as the VR Pros of last round. The Dynalite Gold shafts feel a touch harsh and I did not get the same off the face feel as other forged clubs. These were the oiled finish version and have rusted up a fair bit sitting in my club rack. I could probably give them a sand blast and re oil at some stage, but for the time been I have given them a light coating of Lithium grease to keep the red cancer at bay.

It was similar story with the short game, the putting continues to be lottery as the greens struggle to recover from the coring. They are getting there slowly, but weather and a bit of Couch Mite damage have not helped.

It was another single stab at Reddie Bay yesterday. The greens are slowing coming back. They got extra attention this renovation cycle, and that has slowed the come back. I managed 33 points this time (17/16) with one wipe and one Bird. My driving and iron play were pretty solid, it was the short game that struggled again.

Driver: Ryoma Maxima D1 - D Type 10.5* with Prolaunch Axis Red 60S
    Fairway:Krank Formula 6 13* 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Krank Formula 6 #3 19*
    Irons: Titleist 710 MB 4 - PW
    Putter: Yes Sandy 12 38"

This time I tried the D Type version of the Ryoma. The D is a slightly heavier, lower spin version. I found very little difference in feel and performance. The D might be a fraction easier to work, but that may simply be me getting more used to these drivers. My Game Golf data shows very similar stats for the G & D. They both have as slightly closed face (1*) which you can see at address. Normally I don't like a closed face look, but these look fine to me. Maybe it is the prominent face finishes that make them look "normal"? Performance wise I found a lot to like about both versions. They are very easy to line up and aim. And I rarely seem to miss the centre of the face, they just feel right to swing for me. Distance is as good as anything I have used recently in comparable conditions, and very consistent, which is probably more important. And in the gusty westerlies yesterday, I found them easy to flight and hit down into the wind when I needed too.

Love the MBs, and struck them accordingly. I picked up this set a long time ago. The original owner had started to dime the faces and I found that I was managed to hit the dime more often than not yesterday. My distance control was very good and I hit well over my average GIR stat.

The short game was better, but again the bumpy greens defeated me more often than not.

I played a comp round on Thursday with mate who was busting for a hit. I struggled to get any momentum and finished with a very ordinary 28 points (13/15) with 3 wipes.

Driver: Wilson Staff D7 10.5* with UST Helium 45 Reg
    Fairway: Bridgestone J15F 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Mutant Lil' Kra-Z #2 19*
    Irons: Nike VR11 Pro Blades 4 - PW
    Putter: SC Futura 7M C-B 38"

My first time out with the D7. I had seen some pretty positive reviews of this Driver and was expecting good things. However, I was somewhat disappointed with my experience. It seems to me to be a super light weight slinger club. You can get some distance out of it, but you have to hit hooky slings to get there. Otherwise the shaft is a noodle and an ordinary swing see lots of spin and not a lot of control. I felt like I wasn't hitting the middle of the face enough and that sapped confidence. Not sure where to next with it? I will probably give it another run and then look at possibly re-shafting it if I can't get better results. In the end I spent too much time trying to recover from Drives going right and struggled to score from those positions.

The VR Pro Blades are beautiful irons, but I struggled to do them justice this time out. They have very little forgiveness and even what I thought were solid strikes felt a bit bleah! off the face. Still, I managed to hit a few GIR, but I had way too much to do most of the time.

I scrambled well at times, but I had too! I made 6 U & Ds and birdied the last for 30 putts for the day. Which sort of tells you how bad the rest of my round was!

I was back out on Friday for our Black Marker Challenge. I scored a bit better than Thursdays round for 31 points (14/17)with only one wipe. My Driving was better, but I struggled on the greens.

Driver: PXG 0811X 10.5* with PL Blue Stiff
    Fairway: TM M6 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Tour Prototype 18*
    Irons: Callaway 2013 X Forged 4 - PW
    Putter: Rife Guerin 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet CS CB 38"

The PXG was a brand new arrival. It seemed to review well, but being the low spin model I wasn't quite sure what to expect with my slower swing speed. Generally, I was pretty happy with it. It is certainly very low spin. The bottom weights were set up for maximum MOI, but even then it was a low bullet driver. Though it was quite controllable, and it felt pretty good. And the middle of the face seemed reasonably easy to hit consistently. It resisted going right till the very last hole when I managed to hit a huge pull hook into the trees right. But that was just me with a very ambitious and overly acute set up trying to hit a big sling draw with the wind behind us.

Less trouble meant more greens in reg. But I failed to convert most of the time. The X Forged were solid, but my striking wasn't up to standard and I didn't get the best out of them. My 2nd nine was better (5 pars) but my short game wasn't remotely warm and 34 putts was the result.

And back out again Saturday for my 3rd round in 3 days, but no better results. 29 points this time (15/14). Two wipes on the front, none on the back, but way too many 1 pointers. I struggled with the Driver again and was playing too much catch up.

Driver: Adam Speedline 9064LS 9.5* with Aldila RIP Gamma Stiff
    Fairway:TM Original Mini Driver 11.5*
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Gold 16*
    Irons: Adams A4 Forged 4 - PW

After enjoying the low spin PXG in the previous round, I thought I would run another low spin Driver for this round. But I probably needed to do some range work with it before hand. I actually have two of these Drivers in identical spec, and the Long Drive kit that they came with. In the end I probably put the wrong one in the bag. When I checked them back home, I realised the one I had was in the shorter version set up and well under my MOI target. I was also not sure about the +1* setting as they were coming out very low. My Driving wasn't terrible, but I think I was trying to hit it too hard and launch it higher, and sacrificed distance and accuracy in the end.

I hit the A4s OK and they feel really nice. But my striking wasn't were it needed to be and tending to favor my left hip, I pulled too many off target right. I was struggling a bit with my trailing hip and groin. Eventually I took some Ibuprofen, but they took too long to kick in!

My short game was a bit mixed, but my putting was pretty solid (30) and I managed to convert a few.

And back out again today for yet another Medley Single Stab. But this time I mostly got it right and scored well for 40 points (22/18 ) with one wipe/stumble. Which was good enough to win A Grade.

Driver: Ping G400 LST 10* with Ping Tour 65 Reg
    Fairway:TM M1 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Titleist 913Hd 18*
    Irons: Adams CB2 4 - PW
    Wedges TM RSI2 50*, 53* & 57*
    Putter: SC Kombi 38"

After my recent Driver struggles I decided to go with a more friendly option and Ping drivers mostly fit that description. Contrary to the preceding rounds I mostly had the ball on a string with G400. I barely missed a fairway all day and was hitting it long and straight. My front nine was almost clinical, only two missed putts spoilt a par round possibility. A little steadier on the back, but mostly still on target till I rushed a drive and paid the price on our 14th. But from there I was super solid to finish the last 4 in par, including a birdie from the Fairway bunker on the 17th.

And I hit the CB2s very well for my best GIR result for a while. I took my Ibuprofen early this time and managed to eliminate the pulls that plagued my last round.

My short game was hot and my putting mostly up to the task (28 putts). I had so many tap ins it was starting to get ridiculous.

Three rounds in 4 days last week and some Wire Weed poisoning in between. My Hips were stuffed by Sunday!

On Wednesday I played a Single Stableford at Reddie Bay. I didn't manage to match my previous round score wise. but I was still hitting the ball pretty well. In the end I managed 31 points (16/15) with 3 wipes. The wipes came from impatience with the slow pace of play. Hurrying shots when it finally came time to hit again.

Driver: Ryoma Maxima D-1 Type G 10.5* with Aldila NVS 65S
    Fairway:Adams Super LS 3 Wood
    Hybrid: PXG 0371 #3 19*
    Irons: Adams XTD Forged 4 - PW
    Putter: SC Golo Select CB 38"

I was hitting the Ryoma exceptionally well, as my playing partner kept reminding me. It is a very straight driver with a nice high launch and relatively low spin. My bad shot with it is when I get too quick and pull it hard right. It is workable to a degree, but my best results where when I hit it straight. The high launch gives me the option to go over the top of some obstacles that I normally have to steer my Tee shot around. It isn't the longest driver in my collection, but it is consistently long. And most strikes seem to come out of the middle .

The PXG Hybrid was on its first round and impressed me a lot. I bought it as a head only and fitted it up to my specs. Looks great at address, sounds great and I love the flight with it.

The XTD Forged are one of the softest irons I have played. They bruise easily, so a little caution in handling is warranted. The feel is very good and I hit plenty of greens with them, but I had 6 more putts than my previous round ie. I basically made nothing with the short stick.

I was back out on Friday for an early morning round with PeteyD. Much quicker this time, 3.10 vs the 3.45 of the previous later in the day round. My scoring was no better though, 30pts (12/18 ) but I finished it off a lot better. 2 wipes on the front.

Driver: Adams Fast 12 with PL Blue 55 Reg
    Fairway:Titleist 917 F2 16.5* 3 Wood
    Irons: Srixon 765 4 - PW
    Wedges TM RSi2 50*, 53* & 57*
    Putter: SC Golo 5 Dual Balance CS 38"

I struggled a little with the Fast 12. I was striking it OK most of the time, but my direction was all over the place. I'm a fan of the Fast 12 LS version, but the straight 12 doesn't do a lot for me. It has much bigger foot print and a closed look, and doesn't seem to have benefited as much from the light weight design approach. Perhaps it is the made for shaft? and a swap out might help?

The Srixons were made to work hard with plenty of recovery work on the agenda. They went OK without shining.

My back nine was one long scramble, but I managed to hold it together much better for a very consistent 18 points coming home (7 x 2, 1 x 3 & 1 x 1). My Tee errors were less damaging and my short game pretty solid. But I continued to struggle to make any putts over 5 feet.
    Last edited by Daves; 27th April 2020 at 02:40 PM.

And I was out again on Saturday for a slow grind 18 holes (3.40). I was pretty solid, but never seemed to be able to change up a gear, when needed. I assembled 35 points (17/18 ) without any wipes.

Driver: Ryoma Maxima D-1 Type D 10.5* with PL Axis Red 60S
    Fairway:Cobra S9-1 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Adams A4 Boxer #3 19*
    Irons: King Cobra Forged TEC 4 - PW
    Putter: Nike Ignite 4 CS CB 38"

I started poorly with the Ryoma. My first drive barely went 100m, and my 2nd ended up a full 2 fairways right. I had a par putt on both, which gives you an idea of how mixed my game was early on. But I settled down and started hitting it pretty well after that and barely missed a fairway from then on. It is quite similar to the G Type at address and there is very little between them on performance. The D Type is perhaps a fraction easier to work. My Stats after a few rounds with each are almost identical, The G Type hits slightly more FIR, the D Type is 1metre longer on average so there basically nothing in it.

I was pretty solid with the Forged TECs without fully utilising their potential. My GIR stats was solid and my misses were mostly close. I was playing around with lie angle at set up on non level shots and didn't always get it right. No regrets as I learnt a bit , but it did cost me a couple of shots in the end.

My short games was mixed but I generally scrambled OK. I am still struggling to make putts on the recovering greens (32).

Wednesday's round was another single Stableford at Reddie Bay in a packed field. I played solidly with the odd stumble to finish with 33 points (17/16) with one wipe.

Driver: PXG 0811X 10.5* with PL Blue Stiff
    Fairway: TM AeroBurner 3 Wood
    Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V6 4 - PW
    Wedges TM RSi2 50*, 53* & 57*
    Putter: Yes Stephanie 34"

I struggled for direction with the PXG early but then settled into a rhythm and was hitting it well for a while. That is till the field slowed to a crawl and the tee waits grew longer Resulting impatience lead to a couple of poor drives that cost me both shots and confidence. I need to learn stick to a routine and tempo and not feel hurried to hit my next shot.

I was happy with the V6s in their second outing. I really struggled with them the first time out (see Post #1270 ). They felt much better this time out and I was striking them a lot better. I hit a good number of greens or left them close most of the time.

My short game was pretty solid but I made very little with the putter. Our greens continue to be challenging at the moment. I am average 2 to 3 putts more a round in recent weeks, and so is most of the field (38pts won the day). The Yes Stephanie arrived the day before and went straight in the bag unaltered. I like the look and feel of it, but it was definitely set up too short for me.

I was back out yesterday for a Dew Sweeper round with PeteyD. We were both very solid on the first nine (started on 10), but stumbled a bit on the 2nd nine. I finished with 34 points (19/15) with 2 wipes in the middle of the second nine, but finished solidly.

Driver: TM AeroBurner 10.5* with PL Red Stiff
    Fairway: Cobra S3 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Nike Vapor Flex #3 19*
    Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 4 - PW
    Putter: TM Rossa Monte Carlo 7 CS CB 38

I was solid with the AeroBurner fro the most part, gradually working it out as I went. I pulled it right a couple of times trying to sneak some extra distance with a draw. But once I worked out how to aim it, it was ble to keep it in play without it being particularly long.

I got similar results with the F5s as I did last round with the V6s. Solid strikes with good GIR stats and plenty of close misses. My short game was mixed, as was my putting, though I was one putt less than last round. The greens on the back nine hadn't been mown when we went through which with a dewy surface made for some pretty slow putts. We sort of got on top of it by the turn only to find the second nine greens had been mown and sanded and were way faster. All good in the end but it was hard to get any feel going as the conditions varied considerably. I was pretty happy with my putting for the most part.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Dave, i am sure somewhere in here you have tried Ping irons. How did they stack up for build quality, ie SW, lie, Loft angles.

I know Ping do say the assemble to a high standard, and I have seen that in their factory tour. But surely the australian assembly line cant be as good, or is it?
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Member Teaching Pro

I have been to American Golf Supplies in Sutherland, they purely receive the boxed orders from US and then ship to distributors. The only thing I saw there was a machine to alter lie angles on irons and putters which they will do for free and change the colour code for you.

They do a great fitting onsite down there if you want it, then they email the fitting results to your preferred retailer.

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Dave, i am sure somewhere in here you have tried Ping irons. How did they stack up for build quality, ie SW, lie, Loft angles.

I know Ping do say the assemble to a high standard, and I have seen that in their factory tour. But surely the australian assembly line cant be as good, or is it?

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Thats interesting and I am pleased to know that, as i might have heard that they did assemble there and wasnt doing so good. but dont quote me on that. I could have conflated that with another OEM or unreliable source. Which is why am asking Dave

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Dave I am playing Callaway Steelhead XR pro irons with 2019 Pro Vx.
    What irons would you say from your stash are similar to these forgiving spinny heads?

Thread Information