Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 62 FirstFirst ... 41 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1538
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Get an F9 they are awesome
    If it aint for sale the right price has just not been offered

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucasto23 View Post
    He probably already has about 4 of them

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    Last Friday was a Black Marker Challenge at Reddie Bay. I struggled to hit fairways right from the start. I seemed to have some extraneous move going on in my swing and everything was coming out of the toe. It took me most of the round to fix it and I never really got in front with my scoring. I managed to finish with 11 points over the last 5 holes, but that only gave 31 (14/17) total.

Driver: Cobra King F8 with Aldila NV 2 KVX 60S
    Fairway:Adams Insight XTD Pro 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Cobra F8 #3 19*
    Irons: Cobra King Forged CB/MB Combo 4 - PW
    Wedges TM RSi2 50*, Yururi 53* & 57*
    Putter: SC Futura 7M C-B 38"

I was disappointing to not to be swinging the F8 well, as it performed superbly for me on its first outing at Redcliffe recently. Even with the very toey hits (mostly extreme toe!) it was performing well and showing how forgiving it is. It was the off directions that were punishing me score wise.

The Forged CB/MBs (2017) are a new acquisition and the penultimate version of one of my favorite iron model lines. These have C Taper shafts which I have not used before. Compared to my Forged TEC set these heads are noticeably shorter with thinner soles and this gets even more noticeable as you move into the MB end of the set. From above the top line isn't noticeably thinner, but you do notice the lack comparably of any significant offset. I was really looking forward to playing them, but my poor tee shots loaded the deck against them, and I spent most of the day hitting out of trouble with them. I did hit some good shots with them and look forward to the next round I get to use them (which will be today).

My short game was OK ,but had a lot of work to do. I putted very well (29).
    Because that driver shaft is shite!

Can I have it please?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Because that driver shaft is shite!

Can I have it please?
    Can you handle it? it is a stiff flex!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucasto23 View Post
    Golfbox just put them on special, but RH only

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Congrats on winning the Mug!
    I havent noticed before, are you always using the same ball?
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Congrats on winning the Mug!
    I havent noticed before, are you always using the same ball?
    I have been using Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis most rounds for the last couple of years.

Yesterday was a Single Stab with 4BBB in conjunction at Reddie Bay in the wind. I struggled with the Driver at times but managed to score very well most of the time for 39 points with 2 wipes. Our 4B tallied 52pts but we still got knocked off for the win. This round could have been a replay of my nett 64 Mug win, but for a poor finish over the last few holes. It ended up 3 shots higher off my lowered handicap. And as a result the handicap has now fallen into single figures for the first time in a couple of years.

Driver: Titleist TS3 with Project X Evenflow Stiff
    Fairway:Cobra F Max 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Titleist 915Hd #3 20.5*
    Irons: Titleist 714 CBs 4 - PW
    Putter: SC Golo Select 38"

My driving was very mixed, mostly very bad or very good. I hit half a dozen bad drives that mostly ended up costing me shots. But I also hit some pearlers, including my longest drive of the year so far. It was me, not the TS3. I struggled to correct it at the time, but on reflection it was a combination of straying slightly from my routine and getting club head fixated, rather than focusing on the ball and forward.

I was very comfortable with the CBs and they felt great. I am really enjoying playing MB/CB players irons at the moment. The 714s had a lot of recovery work to do at times, but managed to come through for me when I needed them. My ball striking wasn't perfect, the poor driving had an effect, but I hit some great shots with them and hit lots of GIRs.

My short game was pretty hot. I made a lot of U & Ds from great chips, mostly leaving the ball dead by the hole. And my putting was pretty solid as well, never looked like a making a 3 putts. My distance control was spot on.

Another single stab at Reddie Bay yesterday. I was slow out of the blocks and struggled to get going. A strong, hot Northerly didn't help. When I did get going I was very good (2 Birdies), when I was bad ... (3 wipes). In the end I accumulated 32pts (15/17). I birdied the 18th after just missing the eagle, so finished positively.

Driver: Cobra King Ltd with Aldila Rogue MSI 95 Stiff
    Fairway:Cobra King Ltd 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Cobra Baffler T Rail #3 19*
    Irons: Cobra King Forged Combo 4 - PW
    Putter: SC Golo 5 Dual Balance CB 38"

A very mixed round with the King Ltd. I was struggling for rhythm and hit some shockers trying to get the swing working. But I did manage some crackers with it as well, and was able to convert two into birds. The King is right up there with the best Drivers when I am swinging it well. It seems to be fair low spin, but also reasonably friendly across the face. The feel off the face is firmish, without being harsh. It is very Cobra like in looks etc, which is a big positive to me.

My poor driving put added pressure on my iron play, but it held up for the most part. The Forged Combo continue to impress and feel great. My short game wasn't up to my usual standard. It had its moments, but generally I was leaving my chips and putts short most of the day. The greens seemed to be slower and grainier than they have been. Probably to protect them from the forecast heat coming this week.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Hybrid: Cobra Baffler T Rail #3 19
    The twin rails seem be a feature that just works and never improved upon. Gotta be nearly 40 years since i first saw these. They were good then too
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    The twin rails seem be a feature that just works and never improved upon. Gotta be nearly 40 years since i first saw these. They were good then too
    Yep, never had a Baffler I didn't like.

Yesterday was my only comp round of the week, and I had to loosen up some rust on the swing. I started very slowly with the Driver. I was striking it OK, but my direction was off and I was playing catch up from the trees more often than not. I managed to limit the damage and finished the nine with 8 bogies and a par. The 2nd nine was much tighter for most of the half, but I leak 3 shots over the last two to finish with a 44/41 85/74 result.

Driver: TM M6 10.5* Fujikura ATMOS 5 Stiff
    Fairway:TM M4 3 Wood
    Hybrid: TM M6 #3 19*
    Irons: TM 2014 MC TPs 4 - PW
    Putter: TM TP Collection Berwick CB 38"

The M6 feels very good, and sounds great, As one of my playing group said a few times, the sound tells you a lot about the strike. And I was striking it very well, but my direction was off. When I caught it well and it was on target, it was long and the flight was very good. It is a super friendly face and as mentioned the sound is very notable and positive.

I enjoyed the MCs. They don't feel quite as good as my Cobra Combos, but are still pretty nice. I hit some very good shots with them, but they had too much to do for much of the round and my GIR stats weren't up to recent efforts.

My sort game was a little mixed, I wasn't hitting it as close as I have, but my putting backed it up fairly solidly. I missed nothing I should have got, and got a few longer ones for solid U & D. Two successful birdie putts were the highlights.

A Vets round at Gailes yesterday morning. I started OK, but then started struggling to keep my Drives on the fairway. I think I started slapping the ball rather than hitting it. My short game was very mixed and at the extremes, particularly my sand play. I made a few Sand Saves but then also left the ball in the sand trying to be too cute. And did a Saddam (Bunker to Bunker) as well. My final score was 31 points (19/12) with 3 wipes, two from the middle of the fairway. I made some good U & D scrambles but my pitch games was not up to my usual standard. Partly, I think, because I used a different spin ball (Chrome Soft X) and didn't quite master the extra spin I was getting.

Driver: TM M4 9.5* with MR Kuro Kage Black Reg
    Fairway:TM M3 3 Wood
    Hybrid: TM M2 #3 19*
    Irons: TM RocketBladez Tours 4 - PW
    Putter: TM Spinder Mallet 74 CB 38"

The M4 is a recent arrival and is supposed to be a Tour Van Head. I can't tell if that is the case or not. It has no Serial number and it looks to have spent some time on the Driving Range, so possibly. Doesn't matter really as I got it very cheap in any case. I was interested to see if the lower loft made any difference and it certainly seemed to. I am still getting used to how to swing it, and as mentioned I lost the plot for a while with my Driver Swing and started slapping it. When I did hit it well it was quite long. And I hit some low spin knuckle balls with it as well. But I could also get a good high launch out if it as well, but swing adjustments to do so were a bit hit and miss, for me. More work need on this one, but it does have potential.

I wasn't on with the R'Bladez and never really got a good strike on them all day. Not sure why?, but struggled to find the middle and when I did I was well off line.

My short game has already been mentioned, but I should add my Putting was rock solid, I sunk everything I should have, and a made a few longer ones when needed. I made 8 pars in the round, but only hit 2 GIRs, so my scrambling was pretty solid in hindsight.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

The Gailes newsletter was saying that they think their course is in one of the best conditions in Brisbane at the moment, all things considered. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    The Gailes newsletter was saying that they think their course is in one of the best conditions in Brisbane at the moment, all things considered. What do you think?
    The course was in way better nick than I expected. The Greens looked have been renovated some weeks ago and are pretty much back to their best. They were a touch slower than I remember, but that is probably because of the current heat wave. They have very good cover on them and rolled very well. And the fairways were in very good nick as well. They have a Recycled Water Supply and are obviously watering hard. Though the natural water on course was just about dried up. Anywhere away from the Sprinklers' reach was bone dry and pretty much Dust/Talc. The Roos are keeping it well fertilised as well!, just mind your step. Would definitely be one of the better conditioned SEQ courses at the moment.

Two comp rounds this week where I had good scoring rounds that should have been much better. The first was on Wednesday, a Single Stab at Redland Bay. My Handicap has been coming down steadily in recent weeks and I was off 10 for this one. I started solidly and had accumulated a solid 16 points through 8, but then I somehow managed to wipe the 9th from the middle of the fairway!? I steadied for solid 19 points on the back, to give me 35 total, but never managed to recover the damage of the wipe.

Driver: Ping G Series SFT 12* with Ping TFC 419D Blue Reg
    Hybrid: Ping G400 #3 19*
    Irons: Ping S56 4 - PW
    Putter: Ping Ketsch Straight Arc 38"

After my poor Driving at Gailes on Monday, I decided to put a "comfort" Driver in the bag. I was hoping it help get my driving back and track and it certainly did that! I barely missed a fairway all day, and I was also long with it. Ironically, the longest and straightest Drive all day was on the hole I managed to wipe. My impatience got me, I hurried my second shot, didn't follow my normal short routine, hit a shocker into the trees and was dead for my 3rd. The G Series SFT is right up there among my top 5 Drivers.

It has been a while since I played the S56. They went well, but I never quite got them going as well as my recent bags. Their feel just doesn't inspire me. They are quite friendly for a Player's Iron and I was finding the middle most of the time, but I just didn't seems as confident with them. Nevertheless, I hit a good number of greens and made lots of pars.

My short game was solid. I made more U & Ds than I missed, but it never got to recent levels. That was reflected in my putting (33) which was solid but wobbled a little at times.

Yesterday was a Black Marker at Reddie Bay. I started solidly and just kept making pars on the front nine. I lipped out a putt on the 9th for 21 points (2 over). I stumbled a little at the start of the back nine. I then steadied and was traveling really well until the last few holes where my impatience got me again and I only managed 3 points over the last 3 for 36 points total (19/15).

Driver: Ping G30 SFT 12* with Ping Alta Blue Reg
    Hybrid: Ping G30 19*
    Irons: TM 2011 TP CBs 4 - PW
    Wedges TM TP CB 51*, Yururi 53* & 57*
    Putter: SC Futura 7M C-B 38"

After my Driving with the G Series on Wednesday, I couldn't resist putting the G30 version in the bag. And it performed up to expectations. I actually slightly favour the G30 over the G Series, but there is bugger all difference between them. Perhaps a subtle sound difference but it is barely noticeable.

My driving wsn't quite as good as Wednesdays, but I managed to hit more greens in reg. I will put that down to the TP CBs. These are one of my favorite TM irons. Right up there with the Speedblades for results and feel. Shot of the day was a 4i to 10 feet on the 9th from 180m, after having drowned on off the tee.

I wasn't quite as solid for most of the round as I was on Wednesday, but my short game was mostly hot and made up for it. I hit plenty of chip shots dead when I needed to. And my putting was mostly super solid (30). A good number given the number of greens I hit in reg.

Yesterday was the last Vet's event for the year at Indooroopilly. We played the Captains' course (Green/Gold) but unfortunately the Greens had been cored and there was a shortened Hole with a Temp Green on the Green nine. There was also a substitute hole, though I though that was a positive.

We played the Green Nine earlier in the year. The greens had been cored a few weeks ago, so were still bumpy but playable. Unfortunately the Gold Nine greens had only just been done and were mostly very bumpy sand. I have played a the Gold Nine before, some years ago. It had been a while, but I still remembered them pretty well. I was solid on the front nine for the most part, but had too many 1 pointers. I started the Gold Nine poorly, but then played five of the six holes very well, including a Birdie on the Index 1 hole for a 15/16 = 31 point round.

Driver: King Cobra F8 10.5* with Aldila NV 2 KXV 60S
    Fairway:King Cobra F8 3 Wood
    Hybrid: King Cobra F8 19*
    Irons: TM Speedblade 4 - PW
    Wedges TM RSi 1 50*, Yururi 53* & 57*
    Putter: Yes Sandy 12 Mid CB 38"

I hit a lot of fairways, but I was a bit variable with the F8. I was tending to slap my drives a bit and I was losing distance and control. I got it going eventually and was reasonably solid to the finish.

I was looking forward to the Speedblades but started a bit loose with them. Again I was tending to slap my strikes and was getting variable distances with them. Once I settled down, I was getting good strikes and started hitting them relatively close. But the cored greens made the conversions a bit of a Lottery, especially the back nine.

My short game wasn't hot, but then the greens were not conducive to touch shots. I had my Sand Green Putter with me, but it made little difference, as it was very hard to get any sort of consistent roll on the putts.

Yesterday was (likely) my penultimate Comp round for the year. It was our final Monthly Mug event for the year, and I was hoping to do well, after winning last month. I started solidly and was going quite well until I managed to make back to back 3 putts. I steadied and was going OK for while but impatience beat me again. I ended up with an 86/75.

Driver: TM M6 10.5* with Fujikura ATMOS 5 Stiff
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Tour Prototype 18*
    Irons: Cleveland CG Black 4 - PW
    Putter: Yes Stacey 12 CS CB 38"

I am really warming to the M6. I hit it well for most of the round. I was still making the occasional slap, but generally I was striking it well and long. And I also grew in confidence in being able to shape it as needed. The M6 is potentially very long. I actually hit a couple of Drives into Bunkers that are normally not in range for me, and I wasn't really going after it.

The CG Blacks were where some of my struggle started. I was hitting them OK, but could not quite tune in distance control and/or shape. They are quiet friendly, but resist shaping to a fair degree. Perfectly OK for straight shots or slight shaping. but anything more than a metre or 2 was very difficult. That plus some mental errors in club selection lead to sloppy bogies, when the Drive had put me in position to score well.

My short game was a bit loose. It was thereabouts, but not often inside that 5 foot circle that I am capable off. My putting was solid for the most part, so the 3 x 3 putts were confidence sappers. But I did end with two very good putts for par over the final two holes to finish on a high.

Saturday's round was single stableford. I started poorly, but gradually pulled it back for 17 points on the first nine. I held it together for a while but stumbled badly over the last 4 holes for 12 more to take to total to 29.

Driver: Ping G400 LST 10.5* with Ping Tour 65 Reg
    Hybrid: TM M6 #3 19*
    Irons: Wilson FG Tour V6 4 - PW
    Putter: Nike Ignite 004 CS Mallet CB 38"

Normally any Ping Driver is a good one for me. But I was swinging the G400 pretty poorly for most of the day. Back into a case of the slaps rather than hitting through the ball.

My first time out with the V6s and I have to say I was very disappointed with them. I am not sure why, but they felt horrible and I had no confidence in them.

My short game had a lot of work to do, and did not lift enough to save me. The Nike Ignite however was very good. Firs time out for it as well and it felt terrific. It reminded me a lot of one of my favorite Yes Putters, the Horseshoe shaped Natalie.

As it turned out I managed to slip one more Comp round into the year on Monday. See my next report and year end wrap up when I get a chance to post it.

I was back on Reddie Bay on Monday for a team 4 Ball matchplay replay with some friends. It was supposed to be a social round but there was a comp on so I entered. It wasn't my best golf, but it was very solid. I made lots of U & Ds for 35 points (20/15), but a slight stumble over the first few holes of the 2nd nine spoilt an otherwise very solid result.

Driver: Cobra King F8 10.5* with Aldila NV 2 KXV 60S
    Fairway:Cobra F8 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Cobra F8 #3 19*
    Irons: Cobra King Forged TEC 4 - PW
    Putter: SC Golo Select CB 38"

Another very solid round with the F8 Driver. It is a very easy Driver to use. It looks great at address, like most Cobras. And it is super friendly on off-centre hits. My only misses were from my bad swing pulls.

The F8 3 Wood and Hybrid are also very easy to use.

Another solid round with the Forged TECs. These would have to be one of the better GI irons available. They feel as good as my Pro Combo sets, but with stronger lofts and plenty of launch when you need it. The Pro Combos still win for me, but only by the slightest margin.

Another solid short game round. I made lots of U & Ds and my putting was super solid.

A quick look at my stats for the year.

95 comp rounds in 2019 vs 91 in 2018.

Ave Score was 0.45 lower than 2018

I hit 1.5% more FIR, but was nearly 2% lower on GIR.

Ave Putts per round was .1 higher.

But it was a tale of quarters and my last quarter results were noticeably better, after a rather average start to the year.

In the last quarter my ave score was 1.8 shots lower, FIR 1.5% lower, but GIR was 6% higher. And I gained 6m on my average drive.

Starting GA HCP was 10.4 and the finishing was 9.4. In the last quarter I started on 12.5, so it was 3.2 improvement to get to 9.4.

My first comp round of the year was a Single Stab on Wednesday. I played super solid for 37pts (17/20), 9 pars and 9 bogeys.

Driver: Cobra King Ltd 10.5* with Aldila Rogue 95 MSI Stiff
    Fairway:Cobra King Ltd 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Mutant golf Lil_Kra-Z 19*
    Irons: Cobra King Forged Combo 4 - PW
    Putter: MacGregor by Bobby Grace V Foil CS Mallet 37"

I was pretty solid with the Ltd Driver. It is quite low spin so I have to adjust my swing a bit accordingly, but it is pretty easy to hit knuckle balls with it and keep it in play. My stats tell me it gives me very similar results to my other Cobras, and my better Drivers overall.

I love the Combos, can't say that often enough. I was solid on GIR but my misses were mostly pretty close as well. This helped my short game where I made lots of U & Ds when needed. And the V Foil backed that up with 29 putts.

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    A quick look at my stats for the year.

95 comp rounds in 2019 vs 91 in 2018.

Ave Score was 0.45 lower than 2018

I hit 1.5% more FIR, but was nearly 2% lower on GIR.

Ave Putts per round was .1 higher.

But it was a tale of quarters and my last quarter results were noticeably better, after a rather average start to the year.

In the last quarter my ave score was 1.8 shots lower, FIR 1.5% lower, but GIR was 6% higher. And I gained 6m on my average drive.

Starting GA HCP was 10.4 and the finishing was 9.4. In the last quarter I started on 12.5, so it was 3.2 improvement to get to 9.4.
    Great read and summary as always Dave!

Are you able to give us a run down of your top few favourite clubs in each category and why? (If you get the chance!)

Quote Originally Posted by CeeAy View Post
    Great read and summary as always Dave!

Are you able to give us a run down of your top few favourite clubs in each category and why? (If you get the chance!)
    Thanks for the feedback CeeAy. Much appreciated.

I do get asked that question a fair bit. In some categories it is an relatively easy answer, in others not so much.

Drivers:

There are so many good drivers these days, it is hard to buy a bad one really. But it is the fitting that is probably the key for the individual. Part of the fun of Club Rotation is learning to play what you have in the bag with the swing you have on the day. I get a lot of satisfaction in pulling a round back from the edge by getting on top of a club (usually Driver) that I am struggling with early. And I guess that gives me my short list because there are a few Drivers where that usually isn't an issue because they are just so usable on any day.

Ping Drivers in general are at the top of this list for me and in particular the G30 SFT 12* has become a favorite. Some are put off by the sound of the Pings, but it doesn't worry me.

If I were to add two more (non Pings) it would be;

2) Epon AF101 - JDM goodness, beautiful shape and finish, Nice and compact but very friendly and a fairway finder ( I have two of them)

3) Adam Fast 12 LS.The best lightweight driver I have found so far and so easy to hit. It isn't always the more expensive Drivers that are the best.

In Irons it is a little easier because for me it is all about Feel (sound) and Confidence. Cobra Irons in general and in particular any of the Pro Combo sets do it for me. I still have soft spot for the S3 Combos which were my first experience with these models.

Adding another three choices it would be;

2) Taylormade Speedblades - these are so jacked and so long, but still launch well and feel great. You can't not enjoy playing with them. I remember the first time I hit a Speedblade 4i it went over 220m which was past my ave driver distance at the time. And the flight was beautiful.

3) Adams CB3 - Forged goodness in beautiful black finish and plenty of cavity without compromising the looks. They feel great and I always enjoy hitting them.

4) Cleveland 588TT - Forged Faces for feel, great classic CB shape and they just go. Probably the bargain set (along with the CB3s) for the average amateur

For Wedges it is a bit unfair because I don't change them often. I love my JDM Yururi Wedges, so little else get a looks in. I do have a heap of wedges to try, but have just not yet gotten around to setting them up to use. Most are still in the plastic or just as they arrived. Maybe this can be a project for 2020? Though I have a bit off other stuff on my plate at the moment.

I will come back to finish off with my Fairway, Hybrid and Putter selections when I get a chance.

Thread Information