Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 62 FirstFirst ... 37 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 57 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1538
    Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Back out again yesterday for the Monthly Medal round. Same set up, and same pins as the Black Marker. I actually started off hitting the ball quite well and my striking was actually quite solid. But I had poor direction control, and just did not make the recovery scores that I had on Friday. In the end the difference was pretty much my score over the last 4 holes. I made everything on Friday and nothing yesterday.

Driver: Callaway Epic 10.5* with PL Blue Reg
    Fairway: Callaway Epic 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Titleist 915 Hd 18*
    Irons: Adams CB3 Pro 4 - PW
    Wedges: Yururi Tour 49*, 53* & 57*
    Putter: Adams A12 OS Mallet CB 38"

I was striking the Epic quite well and getting good distance, but I was still hitting pushes. As I improved my aim, my misses came from over working the ball. I hit a couple of very good drives to finish, but was unable to convert those into the pars they should have been.

Only one swing with the Epic 3 Wood, and it was a very good one.

I was middling the CB3s, but hitting them left or right of target and into trouble. With the odd shot even going long. My short game just didn't click like Friday. It wasn't bad, but I just was not able to convert many U & Ds. Putting was OK (32), but I didn't have the same confident stroke I had going on Friday.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Stick with the Scotty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Stick with the Scotty.
    That is not how it works in here.

Wednesday's round produced a better result, though my golf was quite mixed. 38 points with a triple and a double tossed in for variety!

Driver: Bridgestone J715 10.5* with PL Blue Stiff
    Fairway: Cleveland Black 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Cobra Baffler Pro 18*
    Irons: Adams CB3 Pro 4 - PW
    Putter: Odyssey DFX 2 Ball CB 38"

This was the 3rd time out for the Bridgestone. This time I built a PL Blue shaft for it, to see if I could fine tune it, and it worked pretty well for me. Previously I have found the J715 low launching and very straight. But not particularly long, and a bit harsh off the face. The PL Blue softened it a little. My strikes still felt hard off the face, but there was no vibration or harshness with it. And I got good distance back. I am still not getting it out past an average driver most of the time, but I think there is some more in it yet. And it hasn't lost its straightness, so I hit lots of fairways with it. I need to work on the launch a bit. If I can manage to launch it a bit higher, I think I can eek out some extra distance.

Sharped eyed readers will notice that I do not appear to have swapped out last round's irons. I actually have 2 sets of CB3s, with different flex shafts. I was frustrated that I did not hit more greens last time out, because the CB3s felt so good. The answer of course was to hit more fairways and the GIRs will come, which they did. I love these irons, they feel like forged (because they are), but have heaps of forgiveness, and look smick. And with the Program shafts I can launch them into the Stratosphere without spinning the proverbials off the ball.

I mentioned elsewhere that my newly installed Winn Putter Grip started to molt on me right from the gecko. It felt off putting but
    in the end did not affect my result. 29 putts was very solid, but did reflect that my short game was pretty warm for the most part.

Back out yesterday for another Stab event. Another very mixed result (14/20). I struggled to score on the front nine, but the back nine could have been anything as I strung together 6 regulation pars, before stumbling over the last 3 holes.

Driver: Cobra Max 10.5* with MFC Matrix White Tie 55 Reg
    Fairway: Wilson Staff Fybrid 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Wilson Staff FG Tour V5 20*
    Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V5 4 - PW
    Putter: SC Kombi S

I almost went with a full WS bag, but I struggled in practice with my Wilson Drivers. So the Cobra Max got a late call up to fill in for its 2nd time out. I struck it particularly well, but had alignment issues that had me struggling to keep it in play. I was striking it very straight, but spraying the direction around a far bit. I was also launching it mega high by my standards, but this wasn't a negative. There was no significant sideways movement and spin didn't appear to be a problem either.

Prior to the round I happened to watch a Shawn Clement video and a couple of lights went on for me. But of course, a comp round isn't the place to try and fix your swing! Still, I was not at all unhappy with the results. My striking with all clubs improved noticeably, even if my direction was off at times. But I hit enough good shots to convince myself I am on the right track.

The V5s arrived Wednesday, got MOI'd on Thursday, and got previewed in a practice round on Friday. Initially I was underwhelmed, I struggled to hit them cleanly in practice. But during the round yesterday it was entirely the opposite. I can barely remember a bad strike all day. And I hit lots of green with them. Six in the row on the back nine. They felt pretty good as well, so I am looking forward to bagging them again soon!

My putting wasn't my best though. I struggled with the pace of the greens at times and produced a few 3 jabs. And with my high GIR result came a lot more longer putts and lots of 2 putt greens.

There is another equipment rotation I have not mentioned yet. I have retired the CligGear Model 8 for the time being. The negative camber was probably getting worse (that what I was constantly being told anyway), but it was late round fatigue that finally got me to change. The Model 8 was a love hate relationship. I loved the net, it was so versatile and you always had a place to keep something temporary. And it was relatively straight forward to transport and assemble. I disliked the negative camber and tyre wear, the fragility ( I have had to repair a broken frame component a few times), and the relatively poor quality of some of the quite expensive accessories, of which I have a few! I also found it hard to adjust to my desired push height without the handle then getting in the way of getting clubs out of the bag, and stopping access to the net.

I have changed to my Micro Suspension Smoothy. This is the original one with the removable seat, sprung front suspension and sand bottle. It is a little more complicated to transport and assemble, because you need to transport the Seat and Sand Bottle separately. But once you are used to it, it is no big issue. It feels heavier, but the specs say there are only 300grams or so in it. The fatigue issue is no longer a problem for me. The Smoothy is noticeably easier to push once you get it moving. And I am gradually getting it set up as I like it. I use a Esky soft 6 pack bag for my drinks. I hang it over the handle and secure it to the frame with an Occy Strap. I still miss the net, the Smoothy only has a very shallow glovebox set up, though the seat box offers some extra storage options.

I need to get my Flip N Go out and give it a few rounds as well. And I still have a Smoothy Down Under in good nick, that needs to be used or moved on as it is taking up space.
    Last edited by Daves; 13th January 2019 at 10:01 AM.

It was a Monthly Mug round yesterday. I had been hitting the ball very well in practice, so I was looking forward to putting the tuned up swing into play. But early on it was pretty obvious it wasn't going to be my day. My front nine scoring was poor, but I tightened it right up on the back nine, and was super solid till a DB on the last after getting a bad kick off the back off the green into OB. in the end it was a 47/43 Net 77 result.

Driver: Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 9* with PL Blue Stiff
    Fairway: Titleist 915 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Adams A12 Pro 18*
    Irons: TM 2014 MCs 4 - PW
    Putter: Rife Guerin 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet CS CB 38"

I was determined to get the FG Tour Driver working. And in practice it went very well. I hit most fairways and had it pretty much under control. I was also middling it, which I had not done before (lots of toey hits). Yesterday the striking was still good, but I did not always have the line under control and got punished severally for it. A boomer drive down the left side of the 1st that ran into tree roots and I could only bunt out sideways outcome, was repeated a number of times during the round. In fact I got so used to it that I ended up making a couple of stunning U & Ds from dead behind trees late in the round! I was missing mostly left, straight pushes. I was also getting lots of run that wasn't always helpful. The Wilson isn't super friendly I have found. I put it down the lower loft on this head.

I struck the TM MCs pretty well and they felt good. They are reasonably forgiving, which I assume is due to the Speed Slots? I was getting consistent distance with them and found them very easy to flight up or down when needed.

My short game was good but I did get some mixed results. Our greens have gotten quite hard in recent weeks and their bounce is not always consistent, particularly because they are also quite slow. I was getting a lot of run out that is normally not there on chip and runs. But if you threw one into the air it would not roll out after landing at all.

My putting was pretty poor on the day. I missed a lot of putts that I am normally very safe on. I was struggling with the Rife. It was noticeably upright and I just wasn't getting my gripping and stroke right. The toe was sitting way high and if I re-gripped to get it sitting flat, it just did not feel right. I had to get my hands out from the body, which is just not my natural position. I measured the lie this morning and it is a touch over 74* which way too upright. I need to get it flatter, down to around 70/71*.
    Last edited by Daves; 17th January 2019 at 10:09 AM.

I have been slack on keeping my reporting up todate. I have made some swing changes and I am struggling to bed them in. When it is good it is great, but when its not it can be ughhh!!!

Saturday 19/1

Driver: Cleveland Classic tour 10.5* with Miyazaki Kusula Tour 61 Stiff
    Fairway: Cleveland Launcher 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Titleist 910H 17.5*
    Irons: Titleist 714 AP1 4 - PW
    Putter: Yes Stacey 12 CS CB 38"

I managed 33 points after wiping the last 2 holes. Mostly it was just solid hole by hole grinding. I was pushing my drives and then having to scramble hard to recover. I am struggling to get my swing lines re-aligned as they have changed. As has my ball position. The upside is I am mostly striking the ball better, and when I get it right I am longer and very straight, with better control over my ball flight, when needed.

The Classic Tour is an old favorite. I gamed this Driver for a quite while when I first got it, and it still feels good to swing. I sprayed them around a bit, but hit a few extra long when I got it right.

As mentioned, the day was mainly about the scramble. And I just could not complete enough U & Ds to get over the line in the end. And with slow, fluffy greens my Putting wasn't able to save me either (33 putts).

Wednesday 23/1

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 9.5* with Nunchuk
    Fairway: Srixon Z355 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Cobra Max #3 19*
    Irons: Titleist 714 CB 4 - PW Aerotech i95 Regs
    Putter: SC Golo 5 Dual Balance CB 38"

Nearly got there, but again stumbled over the last few holes to record 35 points, with only 3 of those in the last 3 holes.

It has been a while since I last bagged the 913 D3, or for that matter a Nunchuk equipped club. It was very straight, though not especially long. But it kept me in it for the most part.

I was able to convert better position off the tee into a few more greens hit. The CBs were solid, though the Aerotechs take a bit of getting used to. They are quite firm in the tip for a Reg Flex shaft.

The greens were slow and grainy again and it was tough to make anything of any distance (32 putts).

Saturday 26/1

Back out again yesterday with a mostly TM bag. After a very slow start I managed 33 points ( 15/18 ). But this time I came home strongly with 8 points from the last 3, and 25 points from last 11.

Driver: TM 2017 M2 10.5* with PL Blue Reg
    Fairway: TM 2017 M2 3 Wood
    Hybrid: TM 2017 M2 19*
    Irons: TM 2017 M2 4 - PW
    Putter: TM Spider Mallet 74 CS CB 38"

The M2 was solid but I was pushing them again and also swinging poorly at times. Too much mechanical thought. I need to get to a range and hit a couple of buckets of balls to start ingraining the swing I want.

The best shot I hit all day was a tee shot with the 4i with my eyes shut! That is one way to stopping unconsciously manipulating the club face at impact!

The short game was pretty solid. I had a chip for eagle bounce off the flag stick and stop inside 6 inches for a tap in bird. The greens were still slow and grainy, despite having been de-thatched earlier in the week. I made a few and with a tighter short game kept the putts to just 27.

Eagle chip on what hole? Long dog!!!

Drive the 5th??😀

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

They had some forward tees on a couple of the par 5s. Was great to have the course play a bit differently.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Eagle chip on what hole? Long dog!!!

Drive the 5th??
    The 9th. I tried to layup just short of the water with a 6i and left it just 6" short. 3rd was a flip with a wedge over the bunker to a back pin.

Tough flip made easy by OZgolf's pro JDM flipper.

Wednesday was the usual Stableford mid week event. I started strongly, one over through the first 5, and then I slowly leaked oil to the turn for 19 points. Started the back nine OK, but then got on the bogey train home.The last 4 were the most disappointing part of the round, 4 single points to finish with 34 pts all up.

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex 440 with Diamana S+ 60 Stiff
    Fairway: Nike Vapor Fly 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Nike Vapor Fly 18*
    Irons: Nike Vapor Fly 4 - PW
    Putter: Nike Method Matter M5 -10 CS CB 38"

I was pretty solid with the Flex, it is my favorite Nike Driver. The feel is as close as I have come to the feel of Wooden Head Driver. I hit plenty of FIR and my misses were mostly minor.

The Vapor Fly were also pretty solid, generally thereabouts.And I was getting good reliable distance from them.

My short games was OK, but I just did not convert enough to score well when I needed to. 31 putts with two 3 jabs on the back nine.

Back out yesterday for the Monthly Medal round. I wasn't sure how I would go as I have had limited rounds in the last few weeks, and virtually no practice at all. I started super solid and kept it going for the most part, with the occasional double bogey blip bringing me back to earth. My short game was white hot!.

Driver: Mizuno JPX-EZ 10.5% with Fujikura Evolution 757 X Flex
    Fairway: Mizuno JPX-900 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Mizuno JPX-EZ 19*
    Putter: Nike Oz4 Mallet CS CB 38"

The JPX-EZ is super easy to use and very friendly. The Evo X Flex basically took out the right side of the Fairways for me. If I lost one it was always to the left. A good number of FIR hit and my misses when generally OK, with the exception of a couple of negative rubs of the green where I ended up against a tree and then on a tree root. It was also sneaky long at times and ran me into a bunker that is normally out of range.

I am warming to the FG tours. They were coming out of the middle for the most part and I was on fire with the PW in close. My only problem was the occasional pull right, which is my normal miss. In this round the pull probably cost me 4/5 shots, and that would have been more except for a couple of exceptional U & Ds.

The Wedge game was were it was at for me though. I made 10 U & Ds, some from ridiculous positions. And whilst I putted very well, most of the U & Ds were from inside 3 feet. 26 putts told the story, my best for a while.

My final score was a net 68 which was good enough to win B grade on the day.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Boom!!!
    If it aint for sale the right price has just not been offered

Quote Originally Posted by Lucasto23 View Post
    Boom!!!
    Boom indeed. But it was only a single volley!

Back out again yesterday for a single Stab, hopeful of repeating the effort. And for the first 13 holes I was super solid. Not the same quality of short game, but nothing worse than 2 points and a 4 point birdie in the kick as well. I hit plenty of greens, had lots of birdie putts that I mostly left in the jaws, and made a couple of very good recoveries. Then the wheels fell off scoring wise, I was still hitting the ball OK, but could not take a trick. 4 points in the last 5 holes for 34 points total.

Driver: Ping G30 SF 12*with PL Blue Reg
    Fairway: Ping G Series 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Ping G30 19*
    Putter: Ping G5- Craz-E CS CB 38"

The G30 SF was very solid as usual. It only strayed when user error entered the equation. This thing is so friendly to use, it is hard not to love it. And at 12*, I can flight it super high if I need to. I hit 2 bad drives all day, with bad swings, trying to do too much over the last few holes. Got bent over on another that I hit too far and ended up dead up against a tree.

The FGs stayed in the bag, as I wanted to get more familiar with them, and they continued to impress.

I putted very well, but left too many in the jaws on the very slow greens. We are all looking forward to our new Super getting them back to their best! The short game was good for the most part, but got a bit shaky at times late in the round, when it was really needed.

Wednesday was another single Stab. And it was super hot, the hottest day of the year for the Bayside. I was super solid (again!) for 15 holes for 34 points, and then added only 2 more to the finish.

Driver: Ping G SF 12*with Alta Blue 55 Reg
    Irons: Ping E1 4 - PW
    Putter: Yes Natalie CS CB 38"

I can't find any significant difference between the G30 and G Series SFT. I do prefer the Stock Alta shaft over my standard PL Blue in these, otherwise only slight sound/feel differences only for me. I hit lots of fairways with both and their stats over a number of rounds are almost the same.

The E1s were very solid and I hit an above GIR stat. These have AWT X Flex shafts. I find that with the extra couple of inches of length I play my club, that I have no problem with X Flex in any iron shaft. And the AWTs are quite easy to flight for me as well.

My short game was a little mixed. I made some great U & Ds, but then mucked up a few easier ones. My putting was super solid (2 with the Natalie.

The Wheels fell off on the 17th. My Drive ended up in a Fairway bunker, which is usually no big deal, but I somehow managed to bury the ball completed into the revetted bunker face. I managed to hack it out of its hole, and then hit the next bunker shot way over the back of the green, and eventually wipe the hole. When I was doing my stats later that day, I realised I had pulled a 6i instead of an 8i for the bunker shots! The joy of playing in a cart!

Then I hit 2 good shots down the last only to see my wedge in bounce on the green 3 times and then run over the back. The chip back lipped out, and I left the par putt in the jaws!.

Back out again yesterday for another single Stab in much cooler, but very windy conditions. I was again very solid for most of the round. I had to grind it out for the first nine (started on the 10th), 17 pts through 8, then got done over by the wind on the 18th after a boom drive and 4i to inside 80m. I hit what I thought was a perfect wedge in only to see a big wind gust smack it down into a fried egg lie in the bunker. I got it out and it lipped out but was hot and ran over the back. The chip back lipped out as well, and then I left the putt in the jaws!

I tightened it up after that and was in the groove for most of the front nine for 20 pts coming home (5,5,4,4,4,4,4,4,6)

Driver: Ping G400 LST 10* with Ping Tour Reg
    Irons: Cleveland 588TT 4 - PW
    Wedges: Yururi Tour 53* & 57*, Cleveland 588 RTX 50*
    Putter: Yes Stacey 12 CS CB 38"

The G400 was a weapon in the wind. I only missed one fairway when I hit it too far and it ran it into the tree line (and all but dead up against a tree). And it was looong both with, and into the wind. I was able to flight it exactly as I wanted to, and it was super straight as well!

And I hit lots of greens with the 588TTs, and just missed quite a few as well. Lots of fringe putts. But I just could not get a putt (of any length) to drop. I was super solid with the putter and barely left any 2nd putt outside of 2 feet, but the 1st putts just would not go in.

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Daves - R U Ok?

Quote Originally Posted by CeeAy View Post
    Daves - R U Ok?
    Thanks for asking CeeAy. We are currently on an overseas cruise. I hope to get a round in and a report by the end of the month.Regards to all.Daves

Attached Images

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    Thanks for asking CeeAy. We are currently on an overseas cruise. I hope to get a round in and a report by the end of the month.Regards to all.Daves
    Good to hear you’re all good - enjoy the rest of your trip!

We are just sailing past Barnbougle Dunes/Lost Farm. Unfortunately, we are about 15kms offshore and I don't hit my Driver as far these days.

Need Jono.

Time to get this thread back on track. A few recent rounds to report, but first a short summary of my best results of the last 4.5 years of doing Bag Lotto. These are my best 9 scores, and the bags and basic stats of those rounds;

Driver Fairway Hybrid Irons Putter Score FIR GIR Putts
    SLDR 460 14* Cleveland Launcher Titleist 910 19* Callaway Apex Odyssey Versa #7 76 79% 56% 29
    TM M1 10.5* Cobra Baffler T Rail 16* Cobra Baffler DWS 20* Adams A12 Pro Yes Stacey 12 CS 76 64% 33% 27
    Mizuno JPX 850 Cobra Speed LD F 15.5* TM SLDR 17.5 Nike VR Red Forged Split Cavities Yes Stacey 12 CS 77 77% 38% 26
    Cobra F6 Cobra F6 3 Wood Cobra Baffler Pro 18* Cobra Fly Z Pro Combo Medicus CM2i CS Mallet CB 38" 77 79% 44% 29
    Cleveland XL 10.5* Cleveland Black 3 Wood Cleveland CG Black 5 Wood Cleveland 588TT Affinity Touchstar CS CB 38" 77 71% 61% 33
    Cleveland Classic Tour 290 Cleveland CG Lite 3 Wood Titleist 915 Hd 17.5* Adams CB3 Medicus MM1 CS Mallet CB 38" 77 79% 50% 28
    Cleveland Classic Tour 310 9.5* Cleveland Launcher Steel 15* Titleist 913 Hd 18* Cleveland 588TT Seemore Big FGP CS 38" 78 57% 72% 35
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9* Cleveland CG Black 3 Wood Cleveland Mashie M2 18* Adams A4 Steel Yes Stacey 12 CS "38" CB 78 100% 50% 29
    Ping G LS Tec 10.5* Ping G Series 3 Wood Ping G Series 17* Ping i20 Yes Sandy 12 Mid 78 71% 33% 28

Thread Information