Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Ghouls, the lotta you!

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    Next rotation as follows;

Driver: going retro; 909 D2 10.5* with PL Red
    Hybrids: Trying another slight variation of the Adams A12 #1
    Irons: Original AP2 with NS970s in Reg.
    909 Driver performed well, though it initially felt very boardy. I found the spine and adjusted the shaft a quarter turn, and that fixed the problem. I was hitting it very straight most of the time and getting good distance. I might have to drop one of my 905Rs into the bag soon.

The AP2s were my gamers for a long time, so very familiar feel and mostly good results. Longer and heavier has improved their feel and my contact as well I reckon.

Putter grip fix worked, though I didn't make any long putts, didn't miss anything inside 6 feet.

Next Rotation;

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 10.5* with Diamana White 70s. Will be trying various shaft combos in future rotations.
    Hybrid: Heavy (D8 ) #1 back in the bag
    Irons: Ping i5s
    Last edited by Daves; 18th January 2015 at 05:51 PM.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 10.5* with Diamana White 70s. Will be trying various shaft combos in future rotations.
    Hybrid: Heavy (D8 ) #1 back in the bag
    Irons: Ping i5s
    Interesting rotation. First hit of the 915 D3. I played 11 practice holes on Friday with the Whiteboard in. It was launching quite low, so I swapped over to a Rogue Silver 110 60s for Saturday's round. Still launched pretty low, but was very straight and accurate (except for 2 pull hooks early on). I was able to hit it pretty much where I aimed it. Not particularly long, but I did manage to sneak a bit more distance towards the end of the round, as I got used to the combo. The 915 looks great at address, typical Titleist classical look that I like so much. The feel off the face was a bit different to what I am used to, a harder, harsher feel. I am not sure if was the shafts, or the new face/slot technology. Time will tell with further shaft rotations to try.

The i5s are oh so easy to hit, it is almost like cheating! About the only misses all day were right of target, as I think I struggled a little to adjust to the extra offset. It could be lie angle, but I had a similar experience with the Adams V4s, so I am thinking it is the offset. I was also hitting them quite long, about half a club at least, and they aren't strong lofts. I have used the i5s before, but not lengthened hefty and heavy mode. I think the extra length and heft has made them even better for me.

I am hitting the Adams Hybrids pretty well, too well on a few shots! that I put over the back of a couple of greens.

Next rotation;

Driver: I am going to give the 915 a break before trying another shaft in it. Into the bag is a driver I have not used for yonks. Razr Xtreme 9.5* with Trinity 65S.
    Hybrid: Adams Super Hybrid #1 into the bag for the fav A12 Pro.
    Irons: Adams A12 Pro Forged 4-9, plus Cleveland 46/8 Wedge.

Next rotation;

Driver: I am going to give the 915 a break before trying another shaft in it. Into the bag is a driver I have not used for yonks. Razr Xtreme 9.5* with Trinity 65S.
    Hybrid: Adams Super Hybrid #1 into the bag for the fav A12 Pro.
    Irons: Adams A12 Pro Forged 4-9, plus Cleveland 46/8 Wedge.
    Now I remember why I haven't been using the Xtreme! Feels f'n horrid! off the face, like a lump of wood! I hit some OK drives, but I had to work bloody hard to get them out there. Bugger all forgiveness for me. I will give it one more try with another shaft, another time, but will flick it if it doesn't improve in the feel department.

I was hooking the Super Hybrid most of the day, ended up reverting to the #2 Hybrid in the end.

A12s were great, I was hitting them long and straight, and quite accurately. They set up nice and are really nice clubs to use. KBS tour stiffs would probably normally be a tad stiff for me, but playing them 1 & 1/2"over has softened them nicely.

Wednesday's rotation to be;

Driver: 915 D3 back with another shaft combo, this time the Rip Phenom 60S, which worked quite well in the 913 D3 for me.

Hybrid: A12 # 1 back in.

Irons: Tourstage 701 X Blades.

Senior Member Major Winner

Another heft is good story above.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Wednesday's rotation to be;

Driver: 915 D3 back with another shaft combo, this time the Rip Phenom 60S, which worked quite well in the 913 D3 for me.

Hybrid: A12 # 1 back in.

Irons: Tourstage 701 X Blades.
    This turned out to be one of my worse ball striking rounds in quite a while. The Driver swing was very average, and I didn't hit a reasonable iron shot all day (1 GIR). I will put it down to a crappy Tradesman, rather than the tools.

I haven't played for a week, so looking forward to a hit tomorrow (as I hear rain starting on the roof!).

Tomorrow's rotation to be;

Driver: 915 D3 with PL Red. This is a shaft I know well and it seems to work for me in various heads. It is going to become my shaft standard for comparison purposes. I will shortly have it in most tips to suit the adjustable Driver heads I have ( plus the ones I have incoming!).

Hybrids: The usual Adams A12 Pro trio. Some new Hybrids are on the way and will get trialled in coming weeks.

Irons: Some new additions to the collection: Adams XTD Forged with KBS Tour 90s, looking forward to their first run.

Tomorrow's rotation to be;

Driver: 915 D3 with PL Red. This is a shaft I know well and it seems to work for me in various heads. It is going to become my shaft standard for comparison purposes. I will shortly have it in most tips to suit the adjustable Driver heads I have ( plus the ones I have incoming!).

Hybrids: The usual Adams A12 Pro trio. Some new Hybrids are on the way and will get trialled in coming weeks.

Irons: Some new additions to the collection: Adams XTD Forged with KBS Tour 90s, looking forward to their first run.
    Marginally better ball striking with these, but the swing is still off, so didn't learn a lot. I was hitting a lot of toe shots with the XTDs, so was hard to get a feel for them. I am pointing the blame at my swing, this is typical contact for me if I revert to my old swing faults. Need to work on impact to follow through.

The 915 was also marginally better for me with the PL Red, but again I was swinging relatively poorly and pull hooking (same, same #1 Hybrid).

Today's rotation;

I am still undecided on my bag for the Barnbougle/Vic Champs trip so some last minute trialing;

Driver: Back to the 915 D3 and Silver Rogue. The Driver I take on the trip with me will be a Titty head and a couple of shafts. Today will hopefully help decide whether it will be a 913 or a 915 head.
    Hybrids: All Adams
    Irons: TM TP CBs. I am thinking of packing more forgiving irons for the trip that I can swing easy. Short list; AP2, i5s, TM TP CBS, Adams V4s, Adams A12s or 710 CBs.

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Bit messy. Was in much better nick last time I saw it.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyD View Post
    It's not really a DaveS effort, but not bad.
    It is my stuff, but he did miss a fair bit.

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

It is my stuff, but he did miss a fair bit.
    Yes I realised and editted

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Quote Originally Posted by Ned View Post
    Encouraging more pics of other's collections as after seeing the above my missus thinks I have slightly less of a problem.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

I need to show the misses those pics hahaha.

Great thread and great read !

That garage is one of golfs great wonders - first time I went there I just about shot a bolt.

Until I relised they were all backwards.

Blog Entries

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when trying to describe that for insurance purposes!
    Cobra Fly Z+ w/ Fujikura Pro 63x
    Cobra BioCell+ 16.5* w/ Diamana D+ 72s
    Cobra Amp Cell Pro 3-PW w/ Modus 120 S
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52*/56*
    Scotty Cameron GoLo 5 (knuckled)

Today's rotation;

I am still undecided on my bag for the Barnbougle/Vic Champs trip so some last minute trialing;

Driver: Back to the 915 D3 and Silver Rogue. The Driver I take on the trip with me will be a Titty head and a couple of shafts. Today will hopefully help decide whether it will be a 913 or a 915 head.
    Hybrids: All Adams
    Irons: TM TP CBs. I am thinking of packing more forgiving irons for the trip that I can swing easy. Short list; AP2, i5s, TM TP CBS, Adams V4s, Adams A12s or 710 CBs.
    Better ball striking today in the Texas Scramble. The TM TP CBs proved their worth and have been packed for the Champs trip.

The Barnbougle/Vic Champs bag will be;

Driver: 913 D3 9.5* with a variety of shaft combos, a Rombax, PL Red, Silver Rogue & TP6HD. Plus an Oban Gold to collect off Ray.
    Hybrids: The All Adams trio stay on
    Irons: TM TP CBs

Update report mid trip. The TM TP Co have been a winning choice so far. The larger soles were just the thing for the tightish lies at Barnbougle.

But I have had a few issues with the Titleist shafts. The Shotmaker came loose in the Rombax on day 1, & the Pl Red adaptor won't tighten correctly. The TP6HD was OK until I started to tire. The Silver Rogue will be it, until I collect the Oban Gold off Ray on Satur day,

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Got over this yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Got over this yet?
    I haven't swung a club in 3 weeks, so no updates. Hopefully will get a round in on the weekend. I haven't decided what the bag will be as yet ,but I have enough new clubs to keeping me going for a few months yet.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Love your resolve.

Some quick updates, as I have finally managed to get back on the course.

I played the Saturday comp, but I proved to be quite rusty. Not my swing so much, I was striking reasonably, more my course management wasn't quite on.

Bag for the day was;

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 with Rombax 6x07
    Hybrids: Adams A12 Pros #1 to #3
    Irons: TM TP CBs 4-PW
    Wedges: Yururi 53* & 61*
    Putter: Scotty Kombi

My Driver swing was only average, I tended to be hitting low pullish draws. Amazing how much swing speed you can lose after a few weeks off. I was feeling the gluts etc by the time I finished.

Hit the irons reasonably well, just didn't make the up and downs too often.

I had a practice hit yesterday, which was a chance to try a few of the new clubs that have arrived in the last month.

Driver: Nike Pro Limited Edition 10.5* with Blueboard s83 g4"t in Reg
    3 Wood: Adams Insight XTD Pro 14.5*
    Hybrids: Usual Adams A12 Pros
    Irons: Ping Eye 2s, 3-PW
    Wedges: Yururis
    Putter: Kombi.

The Nike Driver went quite well. I found it reasonably easy to hit, and it seemed to be reasonably long.

I hit a few very good shots early with the XTD Pro 3 wood, but then started hitting pushes left. More the swing, than the club though. Liking the flight out of this one. Time will tell whether a 3 wood can push its ways back into the bag, over the myriad Hybrid options that have been working so well for me.

I haven't tried Ping Eyes before, but they proved to be as easy to hit as they look. I struggled a little to adjust my club selections to the weaker lofts. And the huge offsets were a touch off putting, I found I was either pulling shots a bit right, or over allowing and pushing left. Something to get used to.

My next comp round is tomorrow, the bag to be chosen later when I wander out to the Golf Cave in my garage. Lots of new clubs to try, but I need to glue up a few of them, regrip etc when I get the urge.

Today's bag selection is as follows;

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* with the Prolaunch Red I glued up yesterday
    Hybrids: Adams A12 Pro #1 16*, Adams Idea Pro Gold Tour Proto 18*, Adams Idea Pro Gold Tour Proto 20*
    Irons: Titleist 710 CBs with R300s
    Wedges: Yururi 53* and 61*
    Putter: Kombi

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Daves, I am interested in your comment on using a hybrid instead of the 3 wood. I have been using a 4 wood instead of 3 wood for about a year and am about to upgrade to the 915 driver, wood and hybrid, but have been thinking that driver hybrid, hybrid might be the go. What do you think, and which Hybrids?
    Golf is an ineffectual attempt to get an uncontrollable sphere into an inaccessible hole with instruments ill adapted to the purpose

Woods: Titleist 915 D2 10.5*,
    915 f15*, 915 h21*
    Irons:
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW
    Wedges:
    Titleist SM5 54/10* & 60/7*
    Putter:
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red
    Bag: Eagles & Birdies Links
    Bugy: Clickgear 3.5

Home Club: Kooringal
    Handicap
    Game Golf

Hi Iano,

I find that I hit more consistent shots with a Hybrid, and I use them more often in a round. When I did carry a 3 wood, I might use it every other round. I don't hit my drives far enough to be in range on our par 5s very often. And even if I was, I can hit my 16* Hybrid pretty much as far, with the added bonus of being able to work the shot more consistently, and being able to handle less than perfect lies as well.

I prefer Cobra and Adams Hybrids myself, but there are plenty of choices now days in the 15/16* Hybrid. The Ping and Callaway Hybrids also look the goods, and I have had success in the past with a 17* Titleist, turned down to 16.25*. I also like the TM Jetspeed Hybrids a lot, but they only make 19* an 22* in Leftie models.

Thread Information