Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Launch Monitor

Member Trainee Pro

I have a R10 and it’s very sensitive to colourbond.
    When I bring it outdoors it picks up every shot, at home it picks no faster swing than an 8 iron.
    Plus the spin and distance numbers are way off I think.
    Happiness is a long walk with a putter.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I think for at home, indoor use the camera based ones are the go - skytrak, gc2/3/quad. I'd like to upgrade to a gc3, if I can justify the cost...

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    Looks like something similar is being set up in Sydney, Alexandria…..
    https://www.golfspace.com.au/indoor-...olf-simulator/
    Went and checked out this joint today and to say it’s impressive is an understatement…..
    Good luck to them, massive outlay but impressive nonetheless…..
    Plenty of involvement from guys at my club.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Wow that does look impressive!

Certainly is.
    Would want to be would have cost a shit load to set up!

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Went and checked out this joint today and to say it’s impressive is an understatement…..
    Good luck to them, massive outlay but impressive nonetheless…..
    Plenty of involvement from guys at my club.
    If you decide from the Trackman that the clubs you are using arent suitable do you wander 100m down the road and buy them at PureForm? Seems they both have 1/2 a business or is it the same people?

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    If you decide from the Trackman that the clubs you are using arent suitable do you wander 100m down the road and buy them at PureForm? Seems they both have 1/2 a business or is it the same people?
    Nah totally different mob.
    I’ll be using it for rainy days, they have downloaded our course into the system so we can play it!
    im keen on ball testing too…..

These guys aren’t selling any gear, it’s totally a practice/teaching facility….

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

Nah totally different mob.
    I’ll be using it for rainy days, they have downloaded our course into the system so we can play it!
    im keen on ball testing too…..

These guys aren’t selling any gear, it’s totally a practice/teaching facility….
    Pretty cool to play course in the rain!

How much an hour is it roughly?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 3 Jab View Post
    Pretty cool to play course in the rain!

How much an hour is it roughly?
    All on the website, I think $80 casual fee……

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    I've found that every club I've been fitted to at Pureform fits me brilliantly at the Pureform fitting session.

But less so outside the session.

Not to mention Pureform won't let you try stock shafts.

I like the idea of doing Trackman with my clubs and no pressure.

I do wish they had a setup like Col Clubs in Narrabeen where you can hit out on range and see your ball flight.
    Last edited by sfdoddsy; 11th February 2022 at 10:28 PM.
    Ping G430 Max
    Ping G410 5 wood
    Ping G425/Mizuno FliHi hybrids
    Cleveland XL Halo driving irons
    PXG 0311P Gen 3 Steelfiber i95 irons
    Cleveland CBX Zipcore
    Odyssey Rossie OG

Member Trainee Pro

Quote Originally Posted by sfdoddsy View Post
    I've found that every club I've been fitted to at Pureform fits me brilliantly at the Pureform fitting session.But less so outside the session.Not to mention Pureform won't let you try stock shafts.I like the idea of doing Trackman with my clubs and no pressure.I do wish they had a setup like Col Clubs in Narrabeen where you can hit out on range and see your ball flight.
    Agreed. I could never replicate the speed I was swinging at in Pureform on a July morning. I was getting put in x stiff heavy shafts and I raised the question about replicating the SS on course and was given a stock answer about when I trust my equipment more I will swing faster.
    Happiness is a long walk with a putter.

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rickie prowler View Post
    Agreed. I could never replicate the speed I was swinging at in Pureform on a July morning. I was getting put in x stiff heavy shafts and I raised the question about replicating the SS on course and was given a stock answer about when I trust my equipment more I will swing faster.
    That sounds very familiar, as I had a putter 'fitting' many years ago, which I thought lacked trying any basic (head, neck, length, grip) options to direct me to cutting 2" off, installing weights at both ends of the shaft and a large SS grip. When it didn't perform at the studio, I was told that I need to change my putting style for it to work. (They could not see the irony of advertising that they custom fit the equipment to each golfer's individuality.)

It didn't work, binned the putter (it gave me back pain and too hard to DIY customise) and wrote it off like a bad concert or restaurant experience.

Last year, my bro 'phoned to say he was just custom fitted at a new franchise and was sprouting about the impressive figures of a Cobra Radspeed with custom shaft (I didn't ask whether they used different sample sizes to get the 'best 5 shots', like they did when I experienced at a driver fitting.)

When the custom fitted driver didn't launch and spin on the course, he asked them to check it and was told that moving the sliding weight back would fix it.
    Very slight improvement, so back again to give them an opportunity to fix it by trying a higher loft head, which resulted in 'you don't need a higher loft head, as you can adjust the hosel'.
    Still worse than any off the rack club (which his playing partners kept commenting on, as he is usually an annoyingly consistent driver), only to be told that he wasn't swinging it correctly to make that set-up work.

By chance, his mate had an old 10.5* Cobra in the garage with an OEM reg. shaft (as my bro couldn't experiment with his/mate's Titleist/TM/Callaway spares).
    The low launch/spin Pureform fitted shaft in a 5yo head worked did the trick and comparable to any other driver he has used on the course.
    Even the 5yo OEM reg. shaft in the fitted 9* Radspeed head was a big improvement over the custom-fitted set-up (and he has never bought a reg. club in 40+ years).

Jado was right.
    Last edited by Dotty; 12th February 2022 at 08:22 AM.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

I've been down to Golfspace a couple of times now and it is very cool.

They have an off-peak deal where it is only $40 for an hour on Trackman.

If you have a basic understanding of launch monitors you can get some really useful data.

Pureform and Cool Clubs do much more. You can try different clubs and shafts and take advantage of the 'expertise' of their fitters. So the $150 or so a 1 &1/2 hour driver fitting at Pureform, for example, can be justified.

But if you are a bit of ho like many here, Golfspace provides easy empirical data to justify your last purchase, or encourage you to make another one.

I've done a couple of driver/shaft shootouts there and the results mirror and explain my on course findings. This unfortunate as I really want to switch to the new Rogue ST because I love the sound and feel. But the numbers give me no excuse.

Even more productive was an iron comparison and gapping session.

I've always suspected that my gaps compressed to almost nothing once I got beyond my 7 iron, and Trackman confirmed it. Rare perfect strikes aside, my 4, 5 and 6 iron had similar distance averages.

The hybrids I've been dabbling with restored the gaps. But even then I've learned that I don't need the full 3,4,5,6 set.

Likewise my sessions confirmed what I've always suspected about my iron inconsistency.

I have a strongly positive Angle of attack with my driver which is good. It allows me to get the most from my diminishing swing speed as I age.

But I also have a positive AofA with my irons. Which is bad. And also explains why hybrids agree with me.

But it is very useful to try different things to improve this an immediately see the effect.

I haven't tried the various play a famous course settings, but imagine with a group and a few beers it might be fun.

It'd be great if they had clubs and shafts to try, but then I guess you are into Pureform overheads.

So, as you can guess, I'm a fan.
    Ping G430 Max
    Ping G410 5 wood
    Ping G425/Mizuno FliHi hybrids
    Cleveland XL Halo driving irons
    PXG 0311P Gen 3 Steelfiber i95 irons
    Cleveland CBX Zipcore
    Odyssey Rossie OG

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

You made an interesting point, Dave Tutleman has written extensively about iron gaps droop. Ie as the irons get longer the distance gap diminishes, even for pros but moreso as swing speed slows.

https://www.tutelman.com/golf/clubs/singleLength1.php

If you have any interest in maths/physics/engineering you will get lost on his website for a few years.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    I just visited Golf24 here on Gold Coast for the complimentary tour and try out, and FWIW if you are around here, its definitely worth having a look. Lots to like and nothing to dislike. Not even a hard sell at the end he just asks you to sign up online from home, after which there is one more free session for onboarding.
    https://www.golf24.com.au/

I was going to buy a Garmin for $800, but I got nowhere to use it, except a driving range with dud golf balls and its not very good anyway.
    Compared to access to top of the line trackman, for $190 + $25 a session. If I use it once a month for a year, I am in front. I will give it a go for a year
    A Golf24 has just opened up across the road from my office in Hendra, and there is also one in Indooroopilly, which is 15min from home. I'm trying to work out how much I would use it, and if I could justify the cost on top of a normal club membership.

I joined golf24 in Feb and have used it twice ( plus the two free to start) My plan was once a month
    I am always gonna go later.

Its never been booked out whenever i looked, never been more than 1 other person there.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    I joined golf24 in Feb and have used it twice ( plus the two free to start) My plan was once a month
    I am always gonna go later.

Its never been booked out whenever i looked, never been more than 1 other person there.
    I figure that I would have to go once a month to make it worthwhile. The current deal is one extra month given for the membership, one free 50min session, and a cap. I was going to the Airport driving range once or month or so, so this would be a better replacement, since it is always so windy at that outdoor range.

Same.. once a month is cheaper than buying a garmin LM.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Junior Member Plays socially on a regular basis

I just bought an R10. Most of the knocks are with indoor use and wrong predicted ball path. It is ok outside, with only a few WTF but they are easy to weed out. Only had for a few weeks and used thrice. My course is that busy post rain, with other courses still closed or gimmicky, that finding quiet time to use practice area (hitting onto fairway) is my limiter. All local ranges have such poor condition balls it is pointless for data gathering re; club gapping.

It is obviously no trackman, but the video with data capability is kinda cool. I tend to aim right and swing further and further right, which promotes a flip to save. You can see it clearly with vision and data. The garmin struggles with the flip hook as it sees the ball start right but doesn’t get the Federer top spin forehand flight. You still get the path massive in to out. It is a fun toy.

I'd have to figure out what I'm meant to do with all that data though.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    I'd have to figure out what I'm meant to do with all that data though.
    Well... for one thing you wont need a spreadsheet. You will get one free session with the pro, ( not the induction) where he will identify what metrics you need to imprve on and how to understand it all
    --
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Bump for goughy.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Ta, Ap!

Been having a glance at the PGRG one, or whatever it is. I'm actually surprised these things are this cheap! My main thoughts are to help dial in club distances, full more than half shots. I'm just all over the shop. I don't have a net at home; just use birdie balls in the backyard, but could get a net some time. You hit uphill at my clubs range and I think I'd tap out at about a 5i with it, so it's not super great for gauging distances. Could obviously hit at the nets at the club too, once I'm down to clubs too long for our range.
    Wouldn't probably like to keep an eye on my swing speed, and maybe see what it is like with reg shafts rather than stiff. I'm not the longest hitter, so have wondered if the ego needs to go away?
    If you use these at a driving range, do you need to account for the limited flight balls? I mean, the cheaper ones I assume are only measuring at impact and extrapolating everything from there.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Just rent the LM at your club for an hour and do your distances. Much cheaper
    --
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

I'd never thought of that! I'll have to ask.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Thread Information