Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Launch Monitor

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

These are going for 99 at GCO, worth it?

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

It's OK but IMO there are newer options out there that do much more although at a higher price.

I had one a few years ago and it worked well but my local range uses range balls which are limited flight as it's downhill to the fences with national park behind.

There's plenty of talk on GolfWRX about the Flightscope Mevo which is more expensive but has great reviews.

There's one on eBay AU right now starting at $550 but nobody bid so it's been relisted once already.

just saw on FB there is a shop selling the Mevo for $900pp
    Just wondering how people use the a launch monitor to practice? plus if using it at the range, and the range balls doesnt give accurate details, then is it self defeating trying to practice at range unless you have a hitting net at home using premium balls?

Quote Originally Posted by okitoki View Post
    just saw on FB there is a shop selling the Mevo for $900pp
    Just wondering how people use the a launch monitor to practice? plus if using it at the range, and the range balls doesnt give accurate details, then is it self defeating trying to practice at range unless you have a hitting net at home using premium balls?
    I use a Skytrak in my net at home, have had it for about 4 months and honestly I have not used it well as I just keep chasing distance!

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Ihave see the flood of adverts on FB too.
    Its only USD 500 RRP, so they are jacking up the price of it.

Mind you.... my company does the same thing for stuff we import and sell suppliers dont necessarily give deep discounts to distributors, but this Mevo thing aint exactly a high maintenence item to import, stock and support.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

yeah had a look at the price... at $500 USD plus average $60 shipping plus GST; probably about $800 plus landed though

The distributor is also the same popular guy that runs a facebook group that blocked almost everyone here... i think
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

haha... I see

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I'm interested in finding out my swing speed, and then trying to improve it. Does this mean I should get a cheap launch monitor, like the Voice Caddie SC200 or SC300 to measure this? Are these the best cheaper launch monitors?

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    I'm interested in finding out my swing speed, and then trying to improve it. Does this mean I should get a cheap launch monitor, like the Voice Caddie SC200 or SC300 to measure this? Are these the best cheaper launch monitors?
    I got PRGR for this, works well

Ah yes, I had seen a favourable review on that one.
    https://practical-golf.com/prgr-launch-monitor-review/

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Problem is as soon as you want angles etc you need the big ones.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Andy there is some even cheaper LMs than SC200 that do swing speed nicely. Labels are in japanese though but easy to use. Search on ebay to find them.

Garmin and Bushnell ( by foresight) are about to launch their own home use LM's that are gonna be wizzers.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Andy there is some even cheaper LMs than SC200 that do swing speed nicely. Labels are in japanese though but easy to use. Search on ebay to find them.

Garmin and Bushnell ( by foresight) are about to launch their own home use LM's that are gonna be wizzers.
    The PRGR is Japanese, rebranded for the US. I'll have a look.

I saw the Garmin one when looking around today; it would work in nicely with my Garmin watch, but a bit too much at over $800.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I am interested to see how the Garmin R10 performs - some early reviews have been very positive (comparative to GC Quad) for ball speed, swing speed etc, mixed responses for spin prediction, and quite a bit less enthusiastic about swing path measurements.

I had a Voice Caddy SC200 and ended up giving it away to someone on here (can't remember who know actually). It seemed reasonably good for swing speed and ball speed, but only up to about 100mph. After that, it simply did not record accurately. My hybrid, 3 wood and driver all reported basically identical numbers. I have heard of other people have the same problem (I think Rick Shiels did a review that showed the same problem). So if you are trying to accurately gauge whether you are increasing swing speed, I would suggest some caution in using that one.

Edit: Rick Shiels review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOoipRcGV3w
    Last edited by Stuart; 2nd September 2021 at 03:15 PM.

Just to be clear my use case for the PRGR is only to measure my swing speed and how swing changes/exercise plan is changing that. While it does ball speed and distance I pay no attention to that as it’s of no interest to me.

Yep Andy thats the jap one i have seen about. ( And also the PRGR). I have also read good reports about them on some forum somewhere. Might have been in a discussion about the Garmin.

I will likely buy the Bushnell unless its >2k, then i will have to reconsider the Garmin, though i wiĺl wait for the dust to settle, garmins implentation of golf stuff hasnt been very good (aside from GPS) and have shown no interest in improving. I do have a pocketful of drummonds vouchers which need to be spent on something.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfer5 View Post
    Just to be clear my use case for the PRGR is only to measure my swing speed and how swing changes/exercise plan is changing that. While it does ball speed and distance I pay no attention to that as it’s of no interest to me.
    I wouldn't mind some accuracy with distances, and apparently the older PRGR isn't great with wedge distances, but the newer model is better.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I see the Garmin R10 starting to make waves in the market. It's currently sold out in preorders on Golfbox. It looks pretty promising considering all the metrics and the price point $880 AUD - note many are calculations not direct measurements. Golfbox will be releasing a video soon comparing it to a GC quad, not as a direct comparison of course but more as a "is it in the ballpark" comparison.
    WITB
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 65g S
    5 Wood: Ping G425 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 75g S
    4 hybrid: Ping G w Alta R
    Irons: 5-PW Ping i210 w PX LZ 5.5
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50-10*, SM8 58-10*
    Putter: 2022 Bettinardi BB-8W, 35 inch
    Bag: Jones Original Carry Bag

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I found this comparison (R10 v GC Quad) interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAT9XbBrN3s

There is some potential for the Garmin to improve its accuracy, as some of the data is calculated rather than directly measured, so fixing the underlying algorithm could decrease the gap. If Garmin bothers to do that.
    Last edited by Stuart; 3rd September 2021 at 08:44 AM.

I've ruled out the Yupiteru. I found it for $190 on eBay, which is a great price, and I'd get it, if I only wanted it for swing speed training, but I have thoughts of putting up a practice net at home too.

That leaves the new model PRGR for about $320, or the SC200Plus which I could get for $425 new, or $380 off Gumtree including case. The SC200Plus has a few more options for practice, and stores results.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    I found this comparison (R10 v GC Quad) interesting:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAT9XbBrN3sThere is some potential for the Garmin to improve its accuracy, as some of the data is calculated rather than directly measured, so fixing the underlying algorithm could decrease the gap. If Garmin bothers to do that.
    I just watched that. The spin axis and club path data worries me but like you say maybe some of this can be updated in software.. path seemed to be way off the quad.
    WITB
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 65g S
    5 Wood: Ping G425 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 75g S
    4 hybrid: Ping G w Alta R
    Irons: 5-PW Ping i210 w PX LZ 5.5
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50-10*, SM8 58-10*
    Putter: 2022 Bettinardi BB-8W, 35 inch
    Bag: Jones Original Carry Bag

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    I wouldn't mind some accuracy with distances, and apparently the older PRGR isn't great with wedge distances, but the newer model is better.
    I definitely have the older model but haven’t tested wedges on it, in lockdown so can’t jump out to give you my view.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfer5 View Post
    I definitely have the older model but haven’t tested wedges on it, in lockdown so can’t jump out to give you my view.
    Apparently it struggles with the shots under 100m, but it could be improved by sitting it on something.

Thread Information