Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Medal day at Eastlake yesterday, DSR 72 / Par 72 mate won A grade with Nett 70 (2 under)... Finished Birdie / Birdie on 2 of the harder holes (rated 1 & 3)... quality stuff!!

Next best in A grade was Nett 72 (Even)... B grade won with 67, next best 71...C grade 71, next 72. So in all only 4 out of 147 players under par!

In comparison, at my old mans club at Camden, par 71 / ACR 71. DSR?
    63 (8 under) won A grade on a Countback!!! 63 won B grade and 63 won C grade. Crazy stuff!

I know where I would rather be playing.. be absolutely pissed to come in with a nett 8 under and loose on a countback!!!

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Played Bankstown today and it rated 2 under the scr rating. I swear my hcp would be 2 shots lower if they went back to the fixed rating. The DSR is killing me!

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Rodent View Post
    Played Bankstown today and it rated 2 under the scr rating. I swear my hcp would be 2 shots lower if they went back to the fixed rating. The DSR is killing me!
    On that thinking so would all the others your playing against on the same courses.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by HatchmanSS76 View Post
    On that thinking so would all the others your playing against on the same courses.
    True and I'd be delighted to see them all on lower handicaps.

My last 27 games have been on 12 different courses. Twin Creeks, Liverpool, Bankstown, Stonecutters Ridge, Camden Lakeside, Oatlands, Kogarah, Marrickville, Hurstville, Bexley, Massey Park and Barnwell Park. The DSR has rated 1 over the scr rating just twice. Four times the DSR has equalled the scr rating.The other 21 times it has rated under the DSR.
    In my last 20, the DSR has averaged 1.5 under the scr rating.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

First 6 look night day in hardness to the rest, although I haven't played all of them myself?

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday View Post
    First 6 look night day in hardness to the rest, although I haven't played all of them myself?
    You're right. That's why their scratch rating is much higher. The DSR figures I've quoted are relative to the scr rating, not to par. It doesn't seem to matter where I play, the DSR is consistently under the scr rating.

Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

Played stonecutters just after the nsw open and it rated 70 lol.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Played stonecutters just after the nsw open and it rated 70 lol.
    That's a classic example. I can't help thinking there's a vicious cycle. Low DSR's make hcps high which makes stableford scores high which make low DSRs
    Last edited by Rodent; 11th December 2014 at 09:06 AM.

Default Home course rating easy rant

Played Gailes yesterday in a midweek comp off the middle tees. Par 73, aCR was 71 on the card. DSR for the day was 68. I am seriously confused by this.

Anyway one over off the stick at Gailes equates to a played to 5.5. Can anyone explain this to me?

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by backintheswing View Post
    Played Gailes yesterday in a midweek comp off the middle tees. Par 73, aCR was 71 on the card. DSR for the day was 68. I am seriously confused by this.

Anyway one over off the stick at Gailes equates to a played to 5.5. Can anyone explain this to me?
    How did the Pings go?

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

So the ACR is the par for the tees you were playing off. So it can go 3 shots under or over I think of this number regardless of par

Shooting 1 over (and I don't know your handicap but doesn't really matter) means that's a 74. Par for the day (DSR) was 68 so it's basically 6 over par for the day based on how everyone went. So it'll come up as a 'played to' 5.7 or whatever it says.

It sucks big time for lower markers. I had +2 and a played to 6.6 or the like a few weeks ago. Yesterday had 37 points and played to 2 over my handicap.

Like people have said, seems a cycle that won't stop which is course rating easy, so handicaps go up, so people have better scores like 42+ points, which makes the course DSR rate easy, which makes handicaps go up, which leads to higher scores on good days................

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Reading this thread for players at clubs that have this problem regularly, I don't understand why they don't take it up with their committee to then take it up with GA, rather than just complain about it.

As it isn't happening at every club there must be something wrong either in terms of rating or even something like the club using the software incorrectly.

Either way you'd think people would query it in the appropriate place rather than just waaaaaaahhhh

Quote Originally Posted by coalesce View Post
    Reading this thread for players at clubs that have this problem regularly, I don't understand why they don't take it up with their committee to then take it up with GA, rather than just complain about it.

As it isn't happening at every club there must be something wrong either in terms of rating or even something like the club using the software incorrectly.

Either way you'd think people would query it in the appropriate place rather than just waaaaaaahhhh
    This is not my home club, so not going to take it up with anyone at the club.

Not having a waaaaaaaah. Gailes would be one of the harder courses in Brisbane, the greens were sandy and difficult to read.

No way in the world a scratch market is going to shoot 5 under around there 8 times out of 20.

I wasn't specifically referring to you but there is a lot of wah in this thread and I've only just got around to posting my confusion about it.

I would genuinely be interested to see how a query to a club about it would be dealt with because as I said, it doesn't seem to happen at my course. We've actually had the opposite happen once. There was a round that came out as DSR 75 that was mysteriously changed down to 72 later that week

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by coalesce View Post
    I wasn't specifically referring to you but there is a lot of wah in this thread and I've only just got around to posting my confusion about it.

I would genuinely be interested to see how a query to a club about it would be dealt with because as I said, it doesn't seem to happen at my course. We've actually had the opposite happen once. There was a round that came out as DSR 75 that was mysteriously changed down to 72 later that week
    Never did find out what occurred with that round Coalesce!?

What were the winning scores on the day?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodent View Post
    Hurstville's rating is a joke. Again yesterday the course rated 5 under par (2 under the ACR)
    it means your course is easy relative to its par. Simple, nothing else to it.

Is it any wonder there are no low markers at Hurstville? Low markers who want to get their handicap down simply can't play there. If the scratch marker wants to play to his handicap, he needs 5 under!
    and? Its an easy course, shouldnt be a problem if he is any good
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

i think i do need to say something to the committee, the greens keepers cut the rough surrounding the greens short (before when it was long it caused all troubles for every skill level) and i think they're planning to keep it that way. we need to get a re-evaluated slope rating
    Last edited by gumby; 17th December 2014 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nadg63 View Post
    Never did find out what occurred with that round Coalesce!?
    No idea. I didn't ask. I just presumed it was a mistake as the DSR is never that high

Played Macquarie Links today. Only the 2nd time I've played it. Lovely golf course. I think it's relatively easy though. Slope 138....really? Each time I've played Mac Links I've brought my B game and had no trouble getting a flagged round. Each time my “played to“ has been better than my personal best played to at my home course. Ratings are a joke. Lately I've been playing the so called hard courses and the flags are lining up. Hard shmard!

Yeah I agree, 138 is supposedly tough and that isn't, unless the greens play tough in winter or something to justify.

played the sat comp, lowest gross was 76 which was done by like 4 players (0-2 markers). pins were probably in the hardest spots that you can possibly put them in. still rated in as 70, what a joke. 26 marker in my group, never seen anyone have so many 4 pointers in a round. stiffs his 2nd shot on a 350m par 4 to 6 feet and gets 3/5. it's a never ending snowball effect, higher handicappers shooting 40+ odd points, only losing 0.X off their GA, their daily handicap will probably end up still being the same! bring back fixed scratched ratings!!!!

Sounds like your slope rating is way too high.

Sounds like someone's high.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Thread Information