Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    goughy

Default Non-ozgolf members interested in playing the champs?

I was thinking if we should set some rules regarding the available places in the ozgolf champs. A mate of mine who came to bribie with us last year is interested in playing at the champs. Should we set it that ozgolfers have first priority up to a certain date before the champs (including spouses) or is it just gonna be first in best dressed?

I've told him that it may depend on places, but I thought we should formalise it before we go any further. Any thoughts?

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I didn't think we had a set number of places. If we get over 52 on the list, then we book some more tee times.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

I'm with ap, however rules on winning major prizes should be enforced.

Nudgee Plate /McLeod Cup

The battle field

As has been the case previously.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Do these mate have internet connections ???

why not make it a stipulation that to play in the Champs, you first have to sign up to Ozgolf ..

.. just a thought.
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Some guys just don't have an interest in babbling on a forum. I can understand that.

I'd rather not have any restrictions on who can play. It's just a big social round.

Quote Originally Posted by golfer69
    That could be easier said than done.
    The earlier, the better, right?

If people declare their interest early, we book for that number. It's easier to reduce the number of players than increase it.

We're booked for 52 when we had 35 last year, that's already a conservative booking.

goughy

All points taken. He/I could easily join him up but he would never be an active member of ozgolf. And I'm sure he wouldn't care about the major prizes. He'd just think it was a trip.

Dont take this the wrong way just consider this point.

Most of us organise golf days so we can catch up with the nobheads we dribble crap with in the forum.

As an example on my 1st Ozg day, i played with Jarro, Nudgee, and Gazgolf - you cant get much more Ozgolf than that.

On my 2nd Ozg day i played with 3 strangers who i had never heard of before and never again. Nice people but..... that wasnt the reason i came to play.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

yeah i would agree with mTb there, id be there at the champs to meet up with people that i chat with and sometimes argue with on the forums i wouldnt like it if i had to play in a 4some of strangers that i dont know from online...

Regardless i think anyone that wants to play can play, i wouldnt mind meeting strangers just not playing golf with them when i can be cusing out andylo...

yep I've ended up in groups with non ozgolfers here and there, and while the company has been fine, I'd often have preferred to be in a group of all ozgolfers.
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake
    Dont take this the wrong way just consider this point.

Most of us organise golf days so we can catch up with the nobheads we dribble crap with in the forum.

As an example on my 1st Ozg day, i played with Jarro, Nudgee, and Gazgolf - you cant get much more Ozgolf than that.

On my 2nd Ozg day i played with 3 strangers who i had never heard of before and never again. Nice people but..... that wasnt the reason i came to play.
    What's happened to Doug?

I suppose if an Ozgolfer brought a visitor, they'd play in the same group. I can't see a problem with that.

This year, I think we should get rid of the seeding system for the second round and mix the groups up so you don't play with the same guys twice.

that sounds like a great idea Jono, there are still local Ozgolfers who i've never played with yet.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I'm with Jono and Jarro on this one...

No seeding, just mix it up with a few other Ozgolfers... although the chance to wina prestigous prize is at stake I still would like to "share myself around" with those I have not played with and have chatted to etc...

OZgolfer friends should definitely not be guaranteed to play with their mate. Especially not for both rounds.

Now that the stupid seeding idea has been trialled, I'm glad some agree it should go.

so how will we work out who plays with who in the 2nd round

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

easy, pick them out of a hat and then we can trade groups if needed be..

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

When I went away with the guys from my club up to Port Stephens last month we had planned of organising groups sp that guy played every round with someone that they had not played with or very oftern at Mac Grange. The idea worked oon the 1st Day but the second day guys wanted to pick and choose groups once more and it defeated the purpose of the weekend.
    I had played with the same guy in my group 3 out of 4 days. I got the ****s and just kept quiet when all the argueing about groups were going on.
    Try and do a random draw for each day or draw and then just play in competition (nett) order for the 2nd day. Both ways would be pretty random.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I think it should be all mixed up and it $hits me to tears when you get those anal clicky guys who only want to play with certain guys.

As I live so far away and I don't get down to play with most of the SE QLD players on a regular basis I like to play with different people every time I come down when I can.

And the second round say the top 12 players should be seeded and play at the end and the rest of the names out of a hat.
    Home Club Coral Cove GC
    Taylormade man all the way

I agree with the general concensus. I've only met & played with about 5 or 6 Ozgolfers. If I make it to the Champs, I want to play with as many as possible of the members I haven't yet met. No offence, but I don't want to come all the way down there to play with people I will never see or speak to again.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Thread Information