Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Chipping yips.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default Chipping yips.

How to overcome the chipping yips. I know a golfer who cant chip and stabs everything. Just seeing if anyone has overcame this issue or knows how? I was thinking a backhanded 5 wood. He uses a putter from 30 out!
    Last edited by Coldtopper; 16th September 2014 at 01:31 PM.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Coldtopper View Post
    How to overcome the chipping yips. I know a golfer who cant chip and stabs everything. Just seeing if anyone has overcame this issue or knows how? I was thinking a backhanded 5 wood. He uses a putter from 30 out!
    Yes me. I had the dread shanks for about 4 years and the worse part of my game was the chipping and pitching.

I would teach him swing path and how to use the bounce.

http://www.mytpi.com/exercises/#hydr...chipping_drill

Last edited by mrbluu; 16th September 2014 at 12:06 PM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Practise hitting chips whilst watching the club head come from an inside path. This helped me with both accuracy and eliminated most of the chunks and thins because in order to watch the club head you have to stay down through it.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Doing one handed chips (with your right hand if right handed) is a good drill to do.

For an awful second thought this may have been directed at me, but i use the putter from 40 out not 30.

Good luck
    Driver- Slazenger Bruce Devlin 1 1/2
    Fwy Wood - PGF Kel Nagle
    Irons - 2-PW Keith Knox R700
    Wedges - Wilson Jerry Pate
    Putter - ​Bulls Eye Copy

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Me too Spanner. Last weekend I had about 10 pitches and chips. 9 duffed or bladed. 1 perfect and straight into the cup.

Golf just sucks sometimes.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Unreal!!! But I thought you were heaps better than me, I can't remember the last time I duffed and sculled my putter from 40

I see your rocking the 7 wood - give it a go
    Fwy Wood - PGF Kel Nagle
    Putter - ​Bulls Eye Copy

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

I skulled a chip so badly on Saturday that the ball didn't move. At least if I had gone with the putter it would have ended up in the bunker one shot earlier than it actually did.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by LarryLong View Post
    I skulled a chip so badly on Saturday that the ball didn't move. At least if I had gone with the putter it would have ended up in the bunker one shot earlier than it actually did.
    Is this even possible???

Quote Originally Posted by LarryLong View Post
    ..... At least if I had gone with the putter it would have ended up in the bunker one shot earlier than it actually did.
    I chuckled.

I'm another that has difficulty finding the middle ground between digging a trench and blading the shite out of it. I have a tendency to stab at it, which ultimately ends up with me stabbing the head of my wedge into the ground axe style after the ball has either gone nowhere, or about 5 times as far as intended, and at shin height!

Sometimes this forum makes me feel bad about my golf. Sometimes it makes me feel good. This thread is one of the latter times

Sent these guys an email to see if it comes in mens as well the reply came back "probably"

Larry you can go first

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Two-Way-2-Way-Golf-Chipper-Stainless-Steel-Ladies-Women-/151050525530?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item232b501b5a&_uh b=1

Fwy Wood - PGF Kel Nagle
    Putter - ​Bulls Eye Copy

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluu View Post

I would teach him swing path and how to use the bounce.
    Geez that's a good clip Blu thanks for sharing that one.

Cheers HB

Quote Originally Posted by spanner039 View Post
    Unreal!!! But I thought you were heaps better than me, I can't remember the last time I duffed and sculled my putter from 40

I see your rocking the 7 wood - give it a go
    We all need a V Steel 7 wood. I'm looking for mine atm great for that tricky chip that get away from you. Wont you be putting from 20 out with your new Geisha inspired driver?

Quote Originally Posted by G.K View Post
    I chuckled.

I'm another that has difficulty finding the middle ground between digging a trench and blading the shite out of it. I have a tendency to stab at it, which ultimately ends up with me stabbing the head of my wedge into the ground axe style after the ball has either gone nowhere, or about 5 times as far as intended, and at shin height!
    Thanks for the post makes some feel good!

Wont you be putting from 20 out with your new Geisha inspired driver?
    Yes your right, but ill probably have to chip back onto the fairway first.

Never had trouble chipping sideways or even backwards.
    Fwy Wood - PGF Kel Nagle
    Putter - ​Bulls Eye Copy

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Peter Senior suffered the chipping yips for several years. He went to a left hand low grip and chipped cross handed.
    I believe the only way to chip is to close the clubface during the takeaway by rotating both forearms with a see-saw shoulder action and allow the arms to relax in the forward swing. The clubface stays on target from start to finish with this chipping action.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Junior Member Plays with an ex-hire set

For a start never mention that hideous little word yips. Talking about negative stuff just enables it to feed.
    Read an interesting book by Tim Gallway (sports psychologist and ex tennis pro) "The inner game of golf".
    The focus was on how to deal with the negative (fear) thoughts he called Self 2 and how to maximise the positive Self 1
    In tennis the trick was to say out loud "bounce" as the ball bounced on your side of the net and "hit" the very moment you hit the ball. I have done this and it works.
    Golf - you can say "back" takeaway and "hit".
    This distracts Self 2 as he has a different task.
    Along with this you have to start a mental routine as you approach the ball. You have to keep no.2 busy by working out what the terrain to the hole is like - what club you are going to use - visualise the shot nice and smooth back and thru - practice the shot then get to it.
    If you stuff it up - don't spit it. Ask what went wrong - was the swing too fast - did I look up etc.
    This is all fine but you need a basic technique.
    To stop the really bad topping and fat shots - initially play the ball off the right big toe (righthanders) - keep your left arm rigid (no bent elbow no wrist break) take it straight back - keep most of your weight on the left leg (90+%) - brace your right leg so tightly that there is absolutely no body movement (lifting or swaying) and the final piece of the puzzle - make sure your head is in front of the ball. DON'T LOOK UP!!!
    Keeping my head in front of the ball has been tremendously helpful.
    Next you need to practice - hundreds of easy shots to build a foundation of confidence.
    This has been a work in progress for me over 10 years or so - I can now pull out an 8,9,W and focus on the pin not the fear!
    You can do this in the backyard.

Anyone use one these? Was thinking it may work thumbnail.asp.jpg or are the ones with 2 balls better?
    Thanks for the tips will pass them on!

Quote Originally Posted by jumbuck View Post
    Golf - you can say "back" takeaway and "hit".
    JB I heard this helps with driving yips.....maybe IBF should tried this method???

HammerX Intro Video: http://youtu.be/IYI0bPnvzOY

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Interesting article about a guy on the European Tour who changed to chipping one-handed to beat the yips

http://bbc.in/1tvHY7g

I used to be a good natural chipper but now im cr@p. These things help me get avereage results.

1)Head absolutely still...dont let it bob up and down at all
    2)put the ball just back of the low spot (no further back than middle...dont give the leading edge a chance to dig)
    3)Use the natural swing arc (come into the ball from the inside) not straight back
    4)Make sure club head accelerates...general rule; follow thgrough two or three times as long as backswing
    5)landing spot is your target not the hole
    6)Lots of practice!

I get up and down a from time to time, but its a struggle. I usually fluff at least 1 per round, mainly because i havent done 1 or 3 (or both).
    I also have Bob Rotella in my mind (love your wedge)....im trying!

I went through a patch last year when i had the Y things and was hitting every chip fat. I started looking at the front of the ball and made that my target. I stopped hitting it fat.
    Nike Vapor Flex Accra Tour Z 85 ST
    TEE E8b 15* Whiteboard 100
    TEE XCG7b 19* Accra XH105 Tour Red
    j36 CB 3-9 SPB
    Scratch 48b SPB
    Vokey 54, 60 C Taper
    Boccieri F3-DF Heavy
    #3 soft bristle Aldi special
    Chromesoft

Quote Originally Posted by Scifisicko View Post
    I used to be a good natural chipper but now im cr@p. These things help me get avereage results.

1)Head absolutely still...dont let it bob up and down at all
    2)put the ball just back of the low spot (no further back than middle...dont give the leading edge a chance to dig)
    3)Use the natural swing arc (come into the ball from the inside) not straight back
    4)Make sure club head accelerates...general rule; follow thgrough two or three times as long as backswing
    5)landing spot is your target not the hole
    6)Lots of practice!

I get up and down a from time to time, but its a struggle. I usually fluff at least 1 per round, mainly because i havent done 1 or 3 (or both).
    I also have Bob Rotella in my mind (love your wedge)....im trying!

I went through a patch last year when i had the Y things and was hitting every chip fat. I started looking at the front of the ball and made that my target. I stopped hitting it fat.
    Points 1 and 5 I really agree with!!! Points 2, 4, 5 and 6 I'm 50/50 on.

Point 3 I completely disagree with. For me, I've found that the club head needs to be outside the hands and ideally the you are hitting little cut shots with the pitch shots so its a little more of an out to in swing.

You can play the ball much more forward than you think if you are using the bounce and to change where the club bottoms out you move your weight a little or a lot forward.

If you used the right techniques then tonnes of practice is not necessary and if you have the wrong technique then all the practice in the world is not going to help!!!

Here is a good video for ppl struggling with their chipping. Combine this with Ben Crane's using the bounce.

http://www.mytpi.com/exercises/#hydr...chipping_drill

My take on the path is that good chippers can manufacture almost anything with their hands. Cr@p chippers (like me) need to take out the little muscles and give up on manipulating things like the path. I have one basic high(ish) percentage chip stroke and loft choice to manipulate the flight. It works in most situations.

I agree on the ball position, it can be forward of center if you move the arc forward. Striking at the bottom or forward of bottom of the arc is higher % than striking down on a ball behind the low point.

You should practice what gives you the best chance of going low. For many thats the short game.
    Nike Vapor Flex Accra Tour Z 85 ST
    TEE E8b 15* Whiteboard 100
    TEE XCG7b 19* Accra XH105 Tour Red
    j36 CB 3-9 SPB
    Scratch 48b SPB
    Vokey 54, 60 C Taper
    Boccieri F3-DF Heavy
    #3 soft bristle Aldi special
    Chromesoft

Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

As the name suggests I'm well versed in this area. The video above on bounce and the one's by Phil Mickelson have helped me improve dramatically, can't recommend enough. Understanding bounce has been a game changer.

Thread Information