Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
    Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Default Possible New Zealand Holiday January

Hey all, we are thinking of heading to NZ in January. Probably 2 weeks and most likely just pottering about the South island. Already pencilled in a trip on the alpine train and an overnight boat cruise thing at Milford sound.

most likely have time for a game of golf at Queenstown or Christchurch, recommendations please.

Any other things that are great to see or do on the south island?

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I went over 15 years ago for a week driving around in a Maui camper with my brother. Great place. In Queenstown did bungy at The Ledge, Shotover jet boat (the family would love that). There's a glacier on the South Island that was incredible to see. Fox glacier?

Can't remember much more about the week.

But I do remember the time in Auckland we were in an underground bar playing pool when two women started playing with us. My brother thought he was on to a sure thing. I pointed out three things, the Adam's apple, the size of the hands, and how the toes went over the edge of the high heels. Probably the funniest thing I've ever seen was him trying to focus at these through his alcohol induced haze.

The ultimate judge of your swing is the flight of the ball. Ben Hogan

Exotics 9.5* XCG7 Beta- Titleist 913H 17* & 21* Hybrid - Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW - Miura 56* & 60* - Lajosi Putter

Blog Entries

Its ok, we are avoiding Auckland

Yea Franz Joseph and Fox Galciers are in the plan.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Get on a Marlborough wine tour. Plenty of wine, find one where lunch is included. Most end the day at a chocolate factory that has the best caramel pop corn. Kaikoura between Marlborough and Christchurch on the coast. Is a nice little spot. Whale watch tours and seals right on the beach. Also has these caravans that sell the best freshest crays. The drive along the coast is worth it.

Driver: Titleist 913D3 9.5*
    Hybrid: : Ping G20 17*
    Irons: Mizuno MP54 3-PW
    Wedges: Titleist 56* Standard Bounce
    Putter: Scotty Cameron California Monterey 35"
    Bag: Titleist s83 Staff

GOLFLINK

Blog Entries

Wine is out, boss is allergic to it Kaikouri is a possible.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyD View Post
    most likely have time for a game of golf at Queenstown or Christchurch, recommendations please.
    I haven't played golf in NZ, but there is Millbrook and Jack's Point around Queenstown. Very expensive though.

Any other things that are great to see or do on the south island?
    Break up your driving with walks. There are plenty of spots to stop and have a walk for a few k along a trail, where there is usually something good to look at, whether it is a view or waterfall.

I love Wanaka, as it is just as beautiful as Queenstown, but with less tourists.

Akaroa is a short drive from Christchurch and it is another stunning spot. You can also do a cruise from there that will go out and look at dolphins, seals, etc.

Good luck getting the kids to settle down before the sun goes down at 9p or so.

Blog Entries

Kids are a bit older now so that is not such an issue. Everything looks expensive around Queenstown.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

I haven't played around Christchurch but have played a few times in Queenstown. My mate lives there so can't advise on costs.

Jacks Point was a lot of fun but I also enjoyed my game at the Kelvin Heights (main Queenstown course). Arrowtown is a nice place and the golf course is quirky but good, Milbrook, meh and I haven't ever shelled out to play The Hills but think its $500.

Queenstown is a great place but also agree with AndyP on Wanaka.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyD View Post
    Kids are a bit older now so that is not such an issue. Everything looks expensive around Queenstown.
    Wanaka is only an hour away, so you could base yourself there and travel for Queenstown stuff. It still won't be cheap though, especially if you are only staying in places for a couple of nights, which takes out the option of renting a house.

If you are doing the Milford Cruise, you should probably stay in Te Anau, otherwise it is a very long day to get back to Queenstown. While you are in Te Anau, I would recommend doing the Glowworm Cave tour.

Blog Entries

Yea plan is to stay in Te Anau night after the cruise, and park in secure parking there and get the coach to the cruise. Cruise is an overnight so that should be fun. Glow worms are on the cards. I will investigate Wanaka. 1 hour is not a bad drive to go and do stuff at Queenstown. Accommodation is going to be exe most places as we are looking at 2 bedroom stuff.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

do the Skippers Canyon tour just outside of queenstown Pete. make sure you get the tour driver Wolfie (aka Wolfgang) as he is fantastic.

Milford sound, glaciers, Mt Cook yes.

I actually found the tranz alpine a bit boring though. scenery is good but hard to get photos on a fast moving train.

Golf definitely cheaper in Christchurch. I really enjoyed Queenstown when there last year, go to fergburger, they'll probably be lined up out the door but worth it.

Blog Entries

hmmm might not train it then. Been on some great trains in Japan.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Petey

I did it on my honeymoon near enough 10 years ago.We had 0 bookings, but Harry the Hyundai, a credit card and 14 days to drive. Only had one night where accommodation was a concern as we got there too late and had to backtrack.

I remember it like yesterday.

Day 1 - In at dark, so set up in Christchurch. Lots of things to see, but I am not sure how its recovered from the earthquake.
    Day 2 - drove up to Kaikoura, did a whale watching cruise. Massive storm came though, most the boat vomited. Awesome fun! Check out the 'beach'
    Day 3 - woke up to the mountains behind Kaikoura covered in snow. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. Drove all day over the island - Arthurs Pass was sensational. Stayed at Hokitika. Should have played golf there = looked like a scottish links.
    Day 4-5 - Glaciers - Franz and Fritz. Helicopter to the top and a couple of long walks. Outstanding area. Expensive though.
    Day 6 - Glaciers to Wanaka - lots of things to stop and check out. 9 holes at Wanaka Golf club. Not a great course but the wife wanted a day spa so I had hours to invest
    Day 7 - lots of wineries and things around there. Found a town called Cromwell - 18 holes at Cromwell. OK, slightly rolling dunes course, but not RM great. But $30NZ and the pro leant me his clubs!
    8-10 - Based ourselves in Queenstown - did all the fun stuff. There is tons to do. Went to Milfold Sound, love the engineering of Homer Tunnel. Check out the mountain parrots. The kids will spot LoTR scenery everywhere. Almost blew Harry Hyundai up doing the run back out of Milford Sound at 7000rpm. Harry was never the same.....
    11-14 - cruised back to Christchurch - spend a night at Lake Tekapo, and a night at Akaroa. Akaroa is cool. Last day was spent watching McGrath get a 5 fer and Ponting make a ton.

Things to note. You will average about 60-70kmh on the highway. There is about 10k of flat straight road on the whole island and its on the east coast!
    There is accommodation everywhere, but with kids that would make it harder to just turn up at motor inns and B&B's like we did.

All up - its like touring Tassie, but scaled up 200%.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Blog Entries

Some great suggestions everyone. Many things to look up. Given it is January and school holidays I think we will book accommodation before we go. We went there in 06 for a short trip to Christchurch and Hanmar Springs, so I have some idea of the roads

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

I must have found a flat road on the way back to Christchurch from Wanaka because I got a speeding fine for doing over 100kph. Zero points and just over 100 bucks, and it felt like a win.

I was in awe of Homer Tunnel too. I thought Hokitika, along with the whole West Coast, was very dreary, but there was still plenty to visit.

At that time of year Central Otago is pretty busy and accomodation at a reasonable price will be hard to find. Fantastic place for adventure and scenery, weather can be very changeable as well. As said the resort courses are top dollar, better off saving a few bucks and playing the local course, like Arrowtown and Queenstown GC. Christchurch's best would be Clearwater.

I was going to suggest Hanmer Springs but you have already been there. I loved it there. Just remember to take off any silver jewellery before getting in the pools. I agree with AndyP the west coast was a bit weird apart from the glaciers.

I think there are hot springs at Tekapo too, although I havent been to the springs there.

I think there is a luge thingy at Queenstown where the cable car is to the skyline restaurant.

The steamer across lake Wakatipu to have dinner at Walter Peak Station is good too. We got a shearing demo which was hilarious

Blog Entries

There is way too much to do at Queenstown ... The luge thingy looks great though, and horse riding is on the cards thanks to both females. And a shotover jet. The rapids look good but youngest child is 11 and they need to be 13.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

We did a quad pack at Queenstown. Shotover jet, helicopter to the luge for a few rides, then cable car back into tow. Fun day

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

I am not sure if New Zealand is open at that time of year.
    in the bag
    Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo
    RBZ tour spoon BT8M3 stiff
    HB 910 19deg Matrix O white x stiff
    Wilson staff FGV6 Tour Forged irons
    wedges trusty tour 50; 54; 58
    SC FB no1 or SC red X
    and stuff in the pocketsT7M3 S

Pete Google The Siberian Experience. Fantastic!http://www.siberiaexperience.co.nz/

I went to NZ for the first time around this time last year - brilliant place [apart from overhyped Queenstown] - I even didn't mind Auckland but the South Island is spectacular...- going back in 3 weeks to do some tramping.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by damoocow View Post
    I went to NZ for the first time around this time last year - brilliant place [apart from overhyped Queenstown] - I even didn't mind Auckland but the South Island is spectacular...- going back in 3 weeks to do some tramping.
    Nice one, Damo.

We're going back to the South Island next May (for about the 5th or 6th visit).
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Thread Information