Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I've got some awesome post-boosting happening here.

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    Indeed, I think we would all be better off giving that site some publicity and support so that the dissenters have somewhere to go that isn't ISG. Once the dust settles we could even have a cooperative relationship (and an annual golf challenge).
    I don't have a problem with any of the forums, not that I frequent them either. I don't think the user AndyP can be separated from the OZgolf forum in people's eyes.

www.shanksarefunny.com is a forum that some of the guys started up a while ago, but have actively promoted after the last couple of days. There are plenty of familiar faces there. I hope we haven't lost them completely. I think you cop an infraction for keeping a WA thread on-topic though.

http://forums.iseekgolf.com is where this forum originally split off from. Personally, I never had an issue with the place. I came here because this is where the guys that I played golf with moved to. Have a look for yourself, if you haven't before.

http://www.thegolfforum.com/ Not one that I visit, but I know that course architecture is a strength of that forum.

I think there might be some other minor split off ones around, that felt like they didn't fit in with the other options, but I don't know if they still exist.

Please don't bag the other forums on this forum. Each forum meets the needs of those that post on them.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    I've got some awesome post-boosting happening here.

I don't have a problem with any of the forums, not that I frequent them either. I don't think the user AndyP can be separated from the OZgolf forum in people's eyes.

www.shanksarefunny.com is a forum that some of the guys started up a while ago, but have actively promoted after the last couple of days. There are plenty of familiar faces there. I hope we haven't lost them completely. I think you cop an infraction for keeping a WA thread on-topic though.

http://forums.iseekgolf.com is where this forum originally split off from. Personally, I never had an issue with the place. I came here because this is where the guys that I played golf with moved to. Have a look for yourself, if you haven't before.

http://www.thegolfforum.com/ Not one that I visit, but I know that course architecture is a strength of that forum.

I think there might be some other minor split off ones around, that felt like they didn't fit in with the other options, but I don't know if they still exist.

Please don't bag the other forums on this forum. Each forum meets the needs of those that post on them.

You may find that Shanks triggers inappropriate content warnings through internet content filters at Government and other monitored workplaces.
    I have made a deliberate decision to avoid it on non-personal devices.

If you reckon ozgolf was cliquey, TGF is a different world. There are 2 levels of posters - those who are sandbelt members and the rest somewhere below them. However, there are some fantastic blokes on there who are also here who I have had the pleasure of playing with such as Boonie, Bruce, Andigold, Jack, Firey, Judge Smails, VMan, QbnChopper just to name a few. I use the forum to learn about architecture and wind up the Liberal Party faithful.

ISG? Meh. And no, not Macjackass. Its just meh...

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    I also would like to think that the moderarators in most cases would Not take action until a post was reported.
    Unfortunately, it hasn't worked. Maybe now that something has happened and we're talking about it, it will.
    Last edited by AndyP; 4th July 2014 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wbennett View Post
    You may find that Shanks triggers inappropriate content warnings through internet content filters at Government and other monitored workplaces.
    I have made a deliberate decision to avoid it on non-personal devices.
    I want people to be able to read the forum on their work PC if they want to, even if they are not allowed to. NSFW (Not Safe For Work) is not always about one individual image, it could because of the affect of a whole page of images.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Welcome back AP.

I tend to agree with Boonie, if someone warrants an infraction just give them a spell for a couple of days instead. All it creates (for some) is the need to test the boundaries.

The forums were a much nicer place a couple of years ago, as Hux said.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

I also would like to think that the moderarators in most cases would Not take action until a post was reported.

A good example of my point might be the deliberate threadjacking in the proshop. Unless the OP reports it then it should be left alone.

Of course that doesn't apply in all cases.
    People are doing a subtle proshop threadjack by offering trades.

One thing I have forgotten to mention is that the forum is currently closed to new registrations. I just want things to settle before I open it up again, and maybe some people watching from the outside would be interested in joining.

OZgolfers, I'm going to close this thread temporarily until tomorrow. As I said before, I don't want the thread getting out of control, if I'm not available to provide the answers.
    I have my year's goal run tomorrow, so I need to try to get myself right for that and switch off from this, if that is possible.

I'm encouraged by this thread so far, so thank you for reading my posts and providing your comments and feedback.

Yo, I'm back online after my dismal failure this morning.

Keep the questions/feedback coming if you have something to say.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Yo, I'm back online after my dismal failure this morning.
    I saw your time. Anyone else on here would give their left nut for that time. Granted it's not what you were looking for and probably caps off a rough week. But I wouldn't think it's dismal at all.

Thanks. I'll chuck something in the run thread later.

I am going to give my 2 bobs here.

I dont post a lot on the forum but I do read some of it. I am not into nunchuk shafts etc so those sort of threads dont hold a great deal of interest to me. I came to the forum because of my love for golf, to talk about it here and to meet people and play golf. I have attended 2 Ozgolf champs and 2 WAnker champs and had a great time at all of them and met a lot of nice people. I like the forum for being informative at times and most of all giving me laughs (Hatchman please give us another thread like the Griswolds).

You have to have rules otherwise people will push the boundaries and you will end up with a lawless mishmash of crap.

The administration of the forum and the moderating are thankless tasks but someone has to do it. It is like being on committees of clubs etc, someone has to do it and there are always going to be critics and unhappy campers.

I still do not know what caused all this, obviously in a thread I was not following. It must have been pretty serious to shut it down temporarily. I am not sure that this was the best method of dealing with the issue but it has happened and hopefully things can move along.

Members, please remember the mods give their time free to do what they do.

Cosmo

Cosmo,

I have been torn in regards to passing comment on the whole debacle since I presume that any negative post from me will see a banning. I don't think it is any secret that I've sailed close to the wind in the past and I suspect that am next on the hitlist.

I spend (spent) a fair bit of time here and I have no idea what brought this to a head. I suspect that it was something pretty minimal that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

The fact that a bunch of direct questions were not met with direct answers alienated a lot of people and I suspect that was even more so than the lockout.

Anyway, what is done is done. Hopefully AndyP/goughy/clickchic find whatever it is that they are looking for. The rest of us aren't mind readers.
    Forum needs more banter.

Quote Originally Posted by sms316 View Post
    Cosmo,

I have been torn in regards to passing comment on the whole debacle since I presume that any negative post from me will see a banning. I don't think it is any secret that I've sailed close to the wind in the past and I suspect that am next on the hitlist.

I spend (spent) a fair bit of time here and I have no idea what brought this to a head. I suspect that it was something pretty minimal that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

The fact that a bunch of direct questions were not met with direct answers alienated a lot of people and I suspect that was even more so than the lockout.

Anyway, what is done is done. Hopefully AndyP/goughy/clickchic find whatever it is that they are looking for. The rest of us aren't mind readers.
    perhaps we could get a condensed version of what happened (no names though) so at least we are not in the dark of what happened?

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I think the big problem the Golf Forum Industry is facing is golf fatigue. Most of us forum veterans have already discussed almost every golf related topic, and played many of the bucket list courses that are available for us to organise games at. So the nostalgia for the good old days is very hard to turn into reality.

Accordingly, many of the veterans get a bit bored, and resort to boundary pushing in order to retain their interest.

Fortunately for OzGolf, the equipment ho's never get sick of looking for the next magic wand, so there will always be something for us to talk about.

Hopefully, we will all learn from this experience, treat each other as human beings and respect their right to disagree with what we think. Except for Manly supporters, of course.

Lets just get on with it, at whichever forum we prefer. I prefer this one.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

I rarely wade into these things, but I'd suggest a period of settling down and then a return to a benign dictatorship would be a good thing. Moderation and rules shouldn't be on the agenda every day of the year. I think the mods tried too hard to be transparent and accountable with the infraction system and this seemed to create a culture of every member expecting the mods to be accountable to them for every decision they made. Not a response to any particular post or person, just an observation of, as Denis Denuto would say, the vibe.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Good observation Larry.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Why is the initial justification thread gone?
    The secret of golf it to turn three shots in two. - Bobby Jones

A tale of golfing mediocrity

Blog Entries

Not part of the vision?
    Golflink

WITB
    Ping G400 SFT 12* Accra ST55 Tour Z M5
    Srixon Z355 17* FW Miyazaki Jinsoku S
    RBZ Black 3 HY 19* Rocketfuel 65S
    Srixon Zu65 3 20* Nippon NS Pro 980GH
    Srixon Z765 S300 4-PW
    Tourstage X Wedge 54/10, 58/12
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red CS 35"

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I was reading most of the posts on that black night until well after midnight and I saw nothing. I remain perplexed.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Why is the initial justification thread gone?
    I suspect it became uncomfortable for the person who started it.

Blog Entries

I was reading most of the posts on that black night until well after midnight and I saw nothing. I remain perplexed.
    +1
    Makes no sense whatsoever!
    Golflink

WITB
    Ping G400 SFT 12* Accra ST55 Tour Z M5
    Srixon Z355 17* FW Miyazaki Jinsoku S
    RBZ Black 3 HY 19* Rocketfuel 65S
    Srixon Zu65 3 20* Nippon NS Pro 980GH
    Srixon Z765 S300 4-PW
    Tourstage X Wedge 54/10, 58/12
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red CS 35"

I believe all these talks trying to justify actions taken by the mod team on a few nights ago aren't getting to the point.

I am not an internet forum expert and have never been involved in owning or moderating one. However, it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion.

I loved Ozgolf.net even though I don't really know many users personally. I have only met a few guys from Sydney to buy or sell some stuff and because of that fact, I believe I can be way more objective than Clikchic in every way.

I took me good 2-3 years to get myself accustomed to post something on here. It wasn't because of people not welcoming new users. It's the vibe about this forum. Although I felt like I could post up any useless stuff on the other forum, it made me believe that I shouldn't post here unless I had something substantial to contribute.

However, I always found the forum informative when needed otherwise just fun to read and spend some time on until the hell broke out.

I don't really know what have been happening all those years. If something has been going on, it must been a long time ago because I have never experienced anything that's been described to be happening since I have joined the forum.

However, now I am realising this place wasn't what I have believed to be because of the following facts.

1. Appearance of Clikchic - Until she posted that msg (which has now disappeared), I never knew who owned the site or whatever. But did it really matter who had the ownership? Once you decided to set up an internet forum for whatever reasons and started to have other users joining up and forming a community, this forum belongs to everyone of us. You can't just show up and be an arrogant landlord telling to vacate the place. It's not like this forum was set up yesterday. That's very intrusive and does not serve the purpose of an internet forum. If you haven't been contributing continuously as one of us from day one, you should've kept on staying in the back seat.

2. Moderating work - you guys tirelessly mention how stressful and thankless task it is. Did any of us force you to become a moderator? You know what's involved. You know what needs to be done or what it takes to do the job. It's the sacrifice you CHOSE to make. So stop whining about how difficult it is. If you had too much of it and it affects your life, I am sure you can just quit. I believe the more invisible moderators are, the better the forum is.

3. Sensorship/Transparency - This is an INTERNET forum in AUSTRALIA. It's not an page of a history book of a third world country. Why do you need to delete/lock so many posts? What were there that we as users couldn't handle? This forum does not have any transparency. If something happened which required an action from the mod team, you should've left the offending threads open so each one of us can come up with our own decisions as well. Then we could have better understood what you have been through. Without transparency, it suggests that you were emotionally burnt out of running the site and acted on an impulse which wasn't in the interest of the forum's future.

4. Trolling - I never sort of knew what that word meant until you mentioned it a few days ago. So who have been trolled by who for a prolonged period of time? I couldn't find that many posts someone continuously trolling someone. Everyone has different ideas and we talk about our differences and come to an agreements or arguments. Isn't that the purpose of a forum? A place to express your opinion? I don't know any user claiming they have been trolled by a mod because they always seem to have different ideas just about everything. Unless someone has been always abusive and have been offending a lot of users, you can't accuse them of trolling. The interesting bit was the banned users were allegedly trolled the mod team not other users.

I think the mod team needs to take the chill pill or take some time off moderating. Don't act like as if you are constantly nagged by feds to clean up the site.
    I don't think anyone else other than us are interested in what goes on around here.

Have a bit of sense of humour and openness, I am sure you could have just laughed off about a lot of stuff that went on here.

SMS told me in one of the posts that I am full of shit (an example of trolling??), does that make I am full of shit? I don't think so. So I just laugh it off and chose to ignore that post.

IMO, respect is something that is earned not forced upon. Even without respect between each others, this place will remain peaceful, fun, interesting and informative if we show a little bit of courtesy.

And even though some users may have failed to show courtesy towards the mod team, the mod team failed to show your courtesy to all the users by shutting the site down intentionally.

If you really want a site where everything happens your way, maybe just have a private site between your mates?

I wouldn't have posted all this bs if I wasn't as passionate about the site as you (owners & mods) are.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Tank33; 5th July 2014 at 06:56 PM.

Thanks for your observations.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmopolite View Post
    perhaps we could get a condensed version of what happened (no names though) so at least we are not in the dark of what happened?
    Cosmo, I don't think there is any benefit in posting the details.

Cosmo, I don't think there is any benefit in posting the details.
    AP, in my humble opinion this is hardly a helpful response. You have just had a bunch of posts saying how they are perplexed by the whole thing and you have chosen to leave them perplexed. I understand that you are hardly a confrontational kind of guy but this might be a time to get out of the comfort zone for the betterment of the forum.

At the moment I only have the assumption that Yoss was banned for being a pest, g69 for saying something mildly negative (6 months after saying something similar) and Moe was banned because he hurt goughy's feelings so he got his wife to stand up for him.

You are the only one who can set people straight.

Anyway, it's best I stay out of this thread from here. Later.
    Last edited by sms316; 5th July 2014 at 07:13 PM.
    Forum needs more banter.

AP, in my humble opinion this is hardly a helpful response. You have just had a bunch of posts saying how they are perplexed by the whole thing and you have chosen to leave them perplexed. I understand that you are hardly a confrontational kind of guy but this might be a time to get out of the comfort zone for the betterment of the forum.
    Sorry, but I replied to cosmo's post alone. The other posts were not there when I started the reply and I have not had the chance to reply to the other posts.

Thread Information