Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

I'm glad the forum is back up and running. I've meet a bunch of good people here that I now consider friends. I've also have learnt so much about the game of golf, golf equipment and club building. I've also have had some of my best golf trip and some of my best days with OZgolfers. It would have been a shame if a handful of ppl ruin it for all.

Hopefully everyone can play nice.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I hadnt seen hardly any animosity or trolling in recent months. I'm still confused as to the sudden and childish reaction, and still not sure what rules have been broken?

I guess we are all at the beck and call of what the mods deem appropriate at any one time.

+1
    Why exactly do I need to answer to you?

Nullarbor Cup Record 4-0-0
    UnCivil War Record 2-0-0
    GSM Best Finish: 1st
    Vic Champs Best Finish: Tied 4th
    Number of Times beating DC: 1

Default Why did we close?

Quote Originally Posted by clikchic View Post
    If everyone behaved the same on the forum as they did in person I doubt we would have as much of a problem as we have been having. Treat people with respect on the forum as you would in person and there won't be any problems.
    Yoss does, but his comedic genius is much easier to recognise when you meet him in person. Doubt there's anyone that has met him that doesn't think he's a top bloke.
    Last edited by Ashes; 2nd July 2014 at 05:34 PM.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Ashes View Post
    Yoss does, but his comedic genius is much easier to recognise when you meat him in person. Doubt there's anyone that has met him that doesn't think he's a top bloke.
    Meat him?

Nice Freudian slip considering who you are talking about.

Yoss is a top guy. His recent actions were not severe at all.

Most of his arguments were intelligently stated, but could be seen as trolling, by some, which wasn't always the case. When his intelligent argument could not be rebutted, it was then deemed that he must be trolling.

He did have a history with upstanding former members Jaybam and Zigwah, but he had paid the price and served his time accordingly.

A ban now is unwarranted, but if those that own the site deem it should be done, it is ultimately their choice.

I have no issues with any mods and don't wish to have any, but there is one in particular that trolled and baited arguably more than Yoss in recent times. A lot of the time, Yoss was the target of it. Do I think anything needs to be done there? Not at all. It was done in good fun.

There are a few emotions riding high at the moment. People need to step back and relax a bit. "Nuking" is not the answer to this becoming a friendly environment.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Why was Golfer69 banned as well?
    And the mayor announced from Thursday on should not be shat into the creek anymore, because on Saturday beer is brewed.

Not everyone sees every bit of the trolling. The moderators make decisions based on the rules. Sometimes posts are removed before you see them.

There are several people who constantly push the boundaries for the fun of it, or troll in such a way that does not appear to be trolling except if you know the whole back story. Often you wont know the full story. Moderators have to make decisions based on the information they have available, which you may not be privy to.

Moderators are acting in the best interest of the forum and it's members. As long as members are respectful of other members and do not troll, they have nothing to worry about. If they are intentionally pushing the boundaries or trolling, (and those people know who they are) they are at risk of infractions and banning.

It is not fair that members are leaving the forum because of trolls. Members of admin have left or taken breaks because of trolling rather than cause a fuss because of not wanting to cause trouble and that is wrong. They shouldn't have to leave because someone is purposely trolling them. The trolls should be punished, not the member who is being trolled.

Everyone has their limits. Particularly when trying to moderate a forum where they have formed friendships with members. Admin is not childish for closing the forum for a short period. The childish ones are the ones who feel the need to constantly troll in order to gain attention. Shutting down the forum until things settle down, taking a break and reassessing is sensible action for someone to take when they are constantly being pushed. Many forget that each and every member of the admin and mod team are volunteers. They don't get paid to do the hard work of moderating. They do it because they love the forum and the friendships that form here. True friendships need respect to function properly. Disrespect does no one any good. It is time people started acting like adults instead of trolling forums just because they can.

Thanks clikchic. Appreciate it's a thankless task, and unfortunately some people take advantage of people's good nature.
    WITB -
    Driver - Nessie 9o
    Woods - Turbo Power III+ 3 & 5 wood
    Irons - Oxygen - Type S 3HL, 4HL, 5-PW
    Wedges - xds 56 & 60 degree
    Putter - Tomahawk Sniper

H'cap - 12.7 on 1/1/08, 12.8 on 1/1/09, 13.7 on 1/1/10

http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapH..._no=4130402024

"I played golf. I did not get a hole in one, but I did hit a guy. That was way more satisfying." Mitch Hedberg

Not everyone sees every bit of the trolling. The moderators make decisions based on the rules. Sometimes posts are removed before you see them.

There are several people who constantly push the boundaries for the fun of it, or troll in such a way that does not appear to be trolling except if you know the whole back story. Often you wont know the full story. Moderators have to make decisions based on the information they have available, which you may not be privy to.

Moderators are acting in the best interest of the forum and it's members. As long as members are respectful of other members and do not troll, they have nothing to worry about. If they are intentionally pushing the boundaries or trolling, (and those people know who they are) they are at risk of infractions and banning.

It is not fair that members are leaving the forum because of trolls. Members of admin have left or taken breaks because of trolling rather than cause a fuss because of not wanting to cause trouble and that is wrong. They shouldn't have to leave because someone is purposely trolling them. The trolls should be punished, not the member who is being trolled.

Everyone has their limits. Particularly when trying to moderate a forum where they have formed friendships with members. Admin is not childish for closing the forum for a short period. The childish ones are the ones who feel the need to constantly troll in order to gain attention. Shutting down the forum until things settle down, taking a break and reassessing is sensible action for someone to take when they are constantly being pushed. Many forget that each and every member of the admin and mod team are volunteers. They don't get paid to do the hard work of moderating. They do it because they love the forum and the friendships that form here. True friendships need respect to function properly. Disrespect does no one any good. It is time people started acting like adults instead of trolling forums just because they can.
    With all due respect, ClikChic, you don't spend much time here at all, so you wouldn't be up to speed about all of the happenings.

Other than Jarro who has a noted history with Yoss and maybe AP as he gets annoyed by stupidity easily, I can't see the other mods thinking a ban of Yoss was fitting as he really hadn't done much. The last I saw, he was arguing a point, but not trolling at all.

How could such severe actions be taken?

Regarding shutting it down, if you had two troublesome students in your child's class, would you cancel class until they were dealt with, or would you deal with those two students individually?

As for being admin, it's a thankless job, but it is required. It should just be done fairly.

Losing G69 is tough as he has more industry knowledge than anyone here. Not sure what he did this time to warrant it.

Quote Originally Posted by BrisWesty View Post
    Thanks clikchic. Appreciate it's a thankless task, and unfortunately some people take advantage of people's good nature.
    In what way?

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Wow....been golfing all day and missed what happened...who got banned?

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

As a longtime member I must admit i have lost a little interest in OzGolf. Until,

Last Sunday at Kogarah was an example to all of what it is about. A bunch of mates all gathering for a game of golf. Sure there is the chatter about it all but really I think that is what Jaster, Goughy and some others got together to make this site.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Wow....been golfing all day and missed what happened...who got banned?
    Are we allowed to know who is banned ?
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MegaWatty View Post
    It is now. Log out and back in.
    How very IT Support Desk of you

Quote Originally Posted by live4golf View Post
    How very IT Support Desk of you
    I do my best. If it didn't work, then cycling the power was next.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    With all due respect, ClikChic, you don't spend much time here at all, so you wouldn't be up to speed about all of the happenings.

Other than Jarro who has a noted history with Yoss and maybe AP as he gets annoyed by stupidity easily, I can't see the other mods thinking a ban of Yoss was fitting as he really hadn't done much. The last I saw, he was arguing a point, but not trolling at all.

How could such severe actions be taken?

Regarding shutting it down, if you had two troublesome students in your child's class, would you cancel class until they were dealt with, or would you deal with those two students individually?

As for being admin, it's a thankless job, but it is required. It should just be done fairly.

Losing G69 is tough as he has more industry knowledge than anyone here. Not sure what he did this time to warrant it.
    I may not spend a lot of time here of late but that doesn't mean I don't know what goes on. I do discuss issues with admin members from time to time directly and indirectly. I know of several issues that have come up over the years and I know how the forum is run. I don't see every post and I know not every moderator is impartial. We are all human. We all have our limits. In the grand scheme of things a forum shutting down for less than a day is hardly a major issue. If it helps people gain a little bit of perspective, it can only be a good thing.

I don't think you can really compare running a forum to running a classroom. Kids have boundaries and like to push them. I think the forum equates more to a toy than a classroom and sometimes kids need toys taken away to settle down and get perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by BrisWesty View Post
    I heart-fully agree!

What did Yoss do that warranted a banning?

If there were so many issues, how come the infraction system that was put in place wasn't followed?

Surely warnings should have been issued and time bans given before an absolute banning.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I'm glad the forum is back. I know what a thankless task it is being a mod/admin.

Will post an essay later maybe, if Tapatalk is working. Suffice to say I can understand why people got frustrated. Hope everyone can take the feedback on board and try to avoid it happening again.
    Chopperlink | Chopperstats | Chopsticks | #ConfederatetillIdie

I may not spend a lot of time here of late but that doesn't mean I don't know what goes on. I do discuss issues with admin members from time to time directly and indirectly. I know of several issues that have come up over the years and I know how the forum is run. I don't see every post and I know not every moderator is impartial. We are all human. We all have our limits. In the grand scheme of things a forum shutting down for less than a day is hardly a major issue. If it helps people gain a little bit of perspective, it can only be a good thing.

I don't think you can really compare running a forum to running a classroom. Kids have boundaries and like to push them. I think the forum equates more to a toy than a classroom and sometimes kids need toys taken away to settle down and get perspective.
    Well said. Can't say I agree about closing for the day but the sentiment is spot on.

Can I suggest that just deleting posts or threads will achieve more than booting people.
    If your smart ass post is wiped quickly u probably lose interest in doing it quick enough
    Cheers
    Craig

[<a href=http://i.imgur.com/q7UYKtc.jpg target=_blank><u><font size=2><font color=#0000ff><font size=2><font color=#0000ff>http://i.imgur.com/q7UYKtc.jpg</font></font></font></font></u></a>

WITB
    G30 LS 10.5* Attas5; Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood; Adams Proto DHY Super 18*/21*Kurokage; Cally Apex Pro 4-PW Steelfibre 110cw; Sky Dream Jump 51*; TVD 60* and Odyssey Black Series #1

First tee NSW is thriving. Just sayin

The ultimate judge of your swing is the flight of the ball. Ben Hogan

Exotics 9.5* XCG7 Beta- Titleist 913H 17* & 21* Hybrid - Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW - Miura 56* & 60* - Lajosi Putter

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    What did Yoss do that warranted a banning?

If there were so many issues, how come the infraction system that was put in place wasn't followed?

Surely warnings should have been issued and time bans given before an absolute banning.
    Convenient to blame Yoss and others.

In no way could the state of the forum be a reflection of those in charge of it.

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hux View Post
    Not posting just because you have nothing better to do and think you are funny.
    There goes most of my output.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hux View Post
    Well said. Can't say I agree about closing for the day but the sentiment is spot on.

Can I suggest that just deleting posts or threads will achieve more than booting people.
    If your smart ass post is wiped quickly u probably lose interest in doing it quick enough
    Well said Hux.
    Shutting the forum for most of the day has made us a laughing stock, particularly in the eyes of those at Iseekgolf.
    Things should have been handled far more maturely than they were.
    Rant over.
    Its great to have the best golf forum on the internet back up and running!
    Golflink

WITB
    Ping G400 SFT 12* Accra ST55 Tour Z M5
    Srixon Z355 17* FW Miyazaki Jinsoku S
    RBZ Black 3 HY 19* Rocketfuel 65S
    Srixon Zu65 3 20* Nippon NS Pro 980GH
    Srixon Z765 S300 4-PW
    Tourstage X Wedge 54/10, 58/12
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red CS 35"

So will Hocko return now? Isn't this what popped the pimple?

And yes, I'd say this in real life too, without an emoticon.

Gee.all this cos Hicko had a sissy fit
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Thread Information