Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 41 FirstFirst ... 25 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by TheNuclearOne View Post
    I never dreamed he'd have the humility to go thru all the hacking with injury after injury and come out the other side. I'll pay that.
    I said to someone a while ago the most realistic bloke in the world about his comeback and what he might be able to achieve has been him.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz18 View Post
    He's not the GOAT, but as always, that's just personal opinion. There is no metric that can ever prove it one way or another. That's why GOAT talk is so pointless, for anyone.I will agree with you though, pretty much any old piece of shit is worth more than a Jordan Spieth win.
    The GOAT conversation is usually hard to quantify in team sports like basketball (over different eras, defensive schemes, the strength of the coach and your team mates, injuries, number of championships, clutchness etc). But individual sports like golf makes it easier to quantify. Anyone can look up Tiger's list of accomplishments. The only other golfer that can even be considered as the GOAT is Jack. How do you measure ultimate golf success? Wins and major wins. Tiger is second in both categories and still has some time before calling it a day, Jack is first and third. Then you consider competition. There's no debating the sheer number of players and the talent now vs what it was in the past is at an all time high.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_of_oz View Post
    The GOAT conversation is usually hard to quantify in team sports like basketball (over different eras, defensive schemes, the strength of the coach and your team mates, injuries, number of championships, clutchness etc). But individual sports like golf makes it easier to quantify. Anyone can look up Tiger's list of accomplishments. The only other golfer that can even be considered as the GOAT is Jack. How do you measure ultimate golf success? Wins and major wins. Tiger is second in both categories and still has some time before calling it a day, Jack is first and third. Then you consider competition. There's no debating the sheer number of players and the talent now vs what it was in the past is at an all time high.
    You also have to factor in the intangibles:
    1. Amount of hookers / cocktails waitresses / strippers banged
    2. total amount of class A drugs in system at any one time

when you consider this it's a no brainer he is GOAT.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

I reckon the old guard had one and two well covered in their era
    If it aint for sale the right price has just not been offered

There's no debating the sheer number of players and the talent now vs what it was in the past is at an all time high.
    How do you work that out?

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    How do you work that out?
    From a sheer numbers point, you've got the popularity of the sport at an all time high, meaning far more players are vying to get on to the tour and the competition means that only the cream rises to the top. Technology for swing mechanics, attack angle, spin, shafts etc allow for the players to maximise their potential and optimise their game. Nutrition and fitness has come to the forefront now, and players are becoming more aware that all of these things add up.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

saw an article posted on FB about the comparison of Jack and Tiger
    https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/04/tig...-jack-nickalus

it does make it seem that Jack had more more 1 on 1 competition with other greats, while some can also argues that Tiger has a bigger pool of competition to play against ....

either way, both great players

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    I love the opening headline being about how much of a gold digger she is. Awesome.
    Same! LOL

Gotta make sure that clickbait gets swallowed.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

I said to someone a while ago the most realistic bloke in the world about his comeback and what he might be able to achieve has been him.
    That's probably spot on. He's been quite honest really. It was a pretty good interview post win and he certainly knows the game. I didn't think he'd ever get the driver under control tbh.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheNuclearOne View Post
    That's probably spot on. He's been quite honest really. It was a pretty good interview post win and he certainly knows the game. I didn't think he'd ever get the driver under control tbh.
    It's gotta be the twist face TNO!!!

Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by okitoki View Post
    saw an article posted on FB about the comparison of Jack and Tiger
    https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/04/tig...-jack-nickalus

it does make it seem that Jack had more more 1 on 1 competition with other greats, while some can also argues that Tiger has a bigger pool of competition to play against ....

either way, both great players
    This to me 5 this article like most things going working there is a Jack bias. I not saying that Tiger is clearly better than Jack but it's a close discussion.

They even talk about a final round were jack played shit for the first 3 rounds and then got hot in the 4th round and finished second yet they hammer tiger for not getting the W...Tiger played well this year at the PGA and they don't talk about how good his second placing was after being out of the game for so long. I felt he played well at the British Open but had a couple of unlucky boinches and putted like a busted arse. M7

They also diminish is achievement of dominating the WGC events but saying they a smaller field events, which is true, but they have the top 50 or 60 players in the world so the are probably the strongest fields all year!!Even after being out of the game for the best part of 3 years, he is still 13 WGC wins ahead of his nearest contemporary which is DJ (18 to 5) with 2 guys on 3 wins and a bunch of others on 2 wins.

"Their win totals are basically a wash given how the modern era of golf has a number of smaller events (WGC and FedEx Cup) and, thus, a better win probability.*"

Anyway to me tiger is the goat, but I'm not going to disagree with someone too much if they put him a close second

Banned

TW second in majors but second in wins? How do you come up with that?

TW second in majors but second in wins? How do you come up with that?
    Snead 82
    Tiger 80
    Jack 73
    Hogan 64

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluu View Post
    Snead 82
    Tiger 80
    Jack 73
    Hogan 64
    Oh shit, that's right, I forgot. The only thing that matters in golf is the PGA Tour.

It's gotta be the twist face TNO!!!
    Read something about dialing in more loft and changing to the current shaft. Whatever's going on it's certainly improved.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Oh shit, that's right, I forgot. The only thing that matters in golf is the PGA Tour.
    Ok let me know numbers worldwide??

Don't worry I will do it for U. Tiger is no.1 on PGA tour wins and number 3 on the European Tour, any others you want to look at??

Default Tiger's coming back next week! How long will he last?

Snead 82
    Tiger 80
    Jack 73
    Hogan 64
    Don’t forget that 2 of Snead’s wins were team events and one of his wins was the Bing Crosby which was decided to be a 3 way tie rather than play off (taking up valuable drinking time).

Technically Tiger is leading.

If Tiger was white he’d be offered a key to the universe already.

Banned

Ok let me know numbers worldwide??
    Only Wiki figures so take them for what they are:

Snead 165
    Player 165
    Nicklaus 117
    Woods 106

I don't think there is anyone in between Player/Snead and Nicklaus.

I'm not saying cockhead Woods isn't the GOAT and I'm not saying Jack/Player/Snead is. I'm just saying it's a ridiculous statement to say with any certainty that any of them are because there is no way of measuring it.

They all played in different eras, with different equipment, with different pressures, in different countries, on different golf courses against vastly different opponents. For example, Jack Nicklaus used to use one brand of clubs in the US and another brand when he came to Australia and he won 6 Australian Opens FFS! Bet little Tigger couldn't do that. I bet none if the precious little darlings these days could do that.

Greatness has very little to do with tally boards or "W's" if you really give it some thought. That's why it can't be quantified or compared.

Don't worry I will do it for U. Tiger is no.1 on PGA tour wins and number 3 on the European Tour, any others you want to look at??

You’d have to remove the co-sanctioned events for those numbers to have any value.

From a sheer numbers point, you've got the popularity of the sport at an all time high, meaning far more players are vying to get on to the tour and the competition means that only the cream rises to the top. Technology for swing mechanics, attack angle, spin, shafts etc allow for the players to maximise their potential and optimise their game. Nutrition and fitness has come to the forefront now, and players are becoming more aware that all of these things add up.
    No matter how many play the cream always rises to the top. Maybe players ranked 50+ are worse than 50 years ago which is why it’s easier to dominate.

The technology argument also says current F1 drivers are better than drivers 50 years ago because they’re faster.

No matter how many play the cream always rises to the top. Maybe players ranked 50+ are worse than 50 years ago which is why it’s easier to dominate. The technology argument also says current F1 drivers are better than drivers 50 years ago because they’re faster.
    One could make the argument that beating a deeper field that the top 50 could win on any given week would be harder than beating a field of top 15 players. But to your point, I've read arguments made for both Jack and Tiger having stronger competition and none which I've felt was conclusive.

Blog Entries

Jack probably wins the ‘most victories with a hangover’ stat.

Tiger wins the ‘most waitresses bedded after a win’ stat.
    Cobra Fly Z+ w/ Fujikura Pro 63x
    Cobra BioCell+ 16.5* w/ Diamana D+ 72s
    Cobra Amp Cell Pro 3-PW w/ Modus 120 S
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52*/56*
    Scotty Cameron GoLo 5 (knuckled)

One could make the argument that beating a deeper field that the top 50 could win on any given week would be harder than beating a field of top 15 players. But to your point, I've read arguments made for both Jack and Tiger having stronger competition and none which I've felt was conclusive.
    It’s impossible to measure which is why I enjoy people having such strong opinions. Nobody needs facts

Thread Information