Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Ozgolf Mod Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Default 2014 Shots of the Champs

Share moments of brilliance that you witnessed on course and believe are worthy of retelling.

For me, TS and his up and down on the 5th at Bonville from about 20-25m behind the green. Pitched, checked after a couple of bounces and ended up at tap in range. I haven't seen such a quality short game shot at a Champs since a certain shot in 2011...

Senior Member Major Winner

I can't choose, so here are my top few:
    TS on coffs 14. 20m off the green, dropped from the Hazard behind a tree. Bump and run for Tap in
    TS on bonville 5. See above.
    Any of DC's power hybrids from deep in the trees that missed everything through the 1 foot gaps.
    DC trying to kill KJ and TS on bonville 15.

Blog Entries

Peppas drive on the last at Coffs. We'd been waiting all day for one to hit the fairway.
    (Not exactly true, as he hit a beauty on the 25th, just to tempt him to persevere with the driver for the second nine.)

Dotty's opening drive on the 19th. 165-straighty and even PaigeRS giggled at it.

Rqrox and I had a good shootout on the par 3s at both courses. One with textbook irons. One with manufactured shots with anything, but an iron.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

A couple of good shots that turned bad and changed the course of the champs. Dotty's and RQrox's tee shots to the par 3 26th both looked to be totally on the money. But somehow they both ran though over the back, and left them with near impossible up and downs. What should have been an easy 2 or 3 pointer for both, ended as a wipe.

Dottys 5 wood approaches to numerous par 5s in the Coffs round... that man is money with a 5 wood approach shot!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peppas View Post
    Dottys 5 wood approaches to numerous par 5s in the Coffs round... that man is money with a 5 wood approach shot!
    Cheers. A lot of pressure on those two holes, as a good drive and 4w still had me over 150 out.

Peppas just carried the pond on Coffs 3rd (after going down a club, from watching three others hit the green and run through), then sunk it off the green.

Daves 'pitch' on Bonville 6th, that looked 'serviceable' from a distance, only to realise how good it was, as we got closer.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Lots of good shots from my group at Coffs, particularly from SMS, but no great shots come to mind. Perhaps Lager's chip to 3 feet on our first (the dreaded 19th) was the best, considering what followed from him.

The definite shot of our group at Bonville was Anfield's putt from the front edge of the second par 3 (5th?). 40 odd feet, up a tier, smashed way too hard, but it hit the back of the hole, jumped in the air and in for bird. Again, considering what followed from him, this was the shot of the day.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I'm also prepared to nominate Dotty's shot into the last at Bonville. An absolute ripper in front of a large gallery. By far the best shot we saw into that green. In hindsight, the shot that made him NSW Resident Champion.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    I'm also prepared to nominate Dotty's shot into the last at Bonville. An absolute ripper in front of a large gallery. By far the best shot we saw into that green. In hindsight, the shot that made him NSW Resident Champion.
    To their credit, I did have a 30m head-start on the others (courtesy of a faded drive into the hill, and a 5h for position).

If I only I could putt. Now rectified with a Pure Performance putting fitting voucher in the mail.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    I can't choose, so here are my top few:
    TS on coffs 14. 20m off the green, dropped from the Hazard behind a tree. Bump and run for Tap in
    TS on bonville 5. See above.
    Any of DC's power hybrids from deep in the trees that missed everything through the 1 foot gaps.
    DC trying to kill KJ and TS on bonville 15.
    I blame DC's s**** for my collapse in the last 4 holes. I was 2 up after 14 holes, but only manage 2 points for the last 4 holes.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Anything could of happened for half the field on Sunday. 10 guys could have been champ.
    10 guys finished in the 62-67 stableford point range. Pretty cool, really.
    But one stood tall.

The ultimate judge of your swing is the flight of the ball. Ben Hogan

Exotics 9.5* XCG7 Beta- Titleist 913H 17* & 21* Hybrid - Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW - Miura 56* & 60* - Lajosi Putter

Quote Originally Posted by TS View Post
    I blame DC's s**** for my collapse in the last 4 holes. I was 2 up after 14 holes, but only manage 2 points for the last 4 holes.
    I wouldn't feel too bad - I was 26pts through 11 holes, then put up a mighty 8 points over the last 7 holes. Really though I was heading for a great G Norman / A scott type of Majors moment.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't feel too bad - I was 26pts through 11 holes, then put up a mighty 8 points over the last 7 holes. Really though I was heading for a great G Norman / A scott type of Majors moment.
    There may have been a trend ... 1211132 finish for me
    3 putts on 12/14, and failed hero shots on 15/16.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    There may have been a trend ... 1211132 finish for me
    3 putts on 12/14, and failed hero shots on 15/16.
    Yep, watching DC execute a number of awesome hero shots got me thinking. Failed with them on 12 and 15, plus a dunk in the water on 17 (trying to play "safe"). Should have stuck to playing to a handicap par scenario. Oh well, got lucky in the end I guess.

But pulled off the Bradbury instead!
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    But pulled off the Bradbury instead!
    Maybe not to that extent, I wasn't half a lap behind 90% through. Maybe did an Ernie Els at the British open 2012.

Thread Information