Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Default Disilusioned Member

Really disillusioned with my club at the moment. Seriously considering cancelling membership . As I have just renewed and am paying by the month it should not be too hard. Am sick to death of being a member of a club that caters for everyone other than the members. We only have 90 odd members with a max limit of 200

I even ran for a position on the Board Of Governors when it was offered last year. Just to show how the owner treated me, he pulled me aside one night after I had applied, it was not an elected postion but aselected one by the owner, he told me that I was not dressing appropriately for someone running for the board. I had popped into the club on my way home from work and was putting my name in the tee time sheets. . Was I supposed to go home and put on a suit and tie to enter the club?

They did send me a bunch of flowers when I got home from hospital but that was more work of a mates wife that works at the front desk.

I now have almost every month as was suggested to every member that the Board of Governor would be our voice and our communication source with the members. This month I went into how we could get the course to rate a little harder and therefore be more of a challenge. I doubt I will get any feedback other than to say they got my letter.

Sorry for the rant I needed to get this off my chest.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

man that sounds annoying, especially when you're a board member and a peer they should respect that. do you love playing the course?

if the board think the course is their own personal chattel then that's a little wrong but i would guess that's the same at a lot of clubs.

is there somewhere nearer or a good alternative? move to the gold coast?

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Grant, my club is similar to yours, as in being privately owned, yet has members, as opposed to members owing and running the whole shebang.

Actually our club is very much like St Andrews, which has several independant 'clubs' based there ( a lot of people dont realise that the Royal and Ancient does not own the course ) .

Although I pay my membership to the club, I mainly play in the "Saturday Golf Club" which runs as its own entity, raises its own funds, has its own championships, and has Nominated Representatives - President, Captain, Sec/Treasurer and Committee, that have been appointed by the owners. There is also the Wednesday Club, Business Ladies, Veterans and someother thing, all independant of each other.

Its much like we are a Social Club that plays the same course all the time, which is how it all began when the Course was strictly a Public Green Fee course.

There was many changes over the years, with at one time the Owners taking over the Saturday club entirely, but after a while handed back control to the members, which made everyone much happier.

It sounds to me like you need more involvement by the members in running of your club. Not sure if the board of Governers you mentioned is for the interests of the owners or the members.

In any case, I'd suggest you lobby your mates and make a representation to the owner that the members would like to make a greater contribution to the running of the club and the activities of the members.

Just word it carefully, if you say it the wrong way it will sound like you are looking after your own self interests.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 18th February 2006 at 08:05 PM.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Grant,

Quit and join another club. There is no future there....

Course = crap
    Owner = nazi
    Respect for members = none

what Trung said
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Blog Entries

has been thought of, mate. Thinking of New Brighton, where Amanda & Matt3Jab are members.
    Last edited by Grunt; 19th February 2006 at 06:15 PM.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

and Connico

Blog Entries

oh yeah and brad too.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

So all the good players really

Blog Entries

I will rasie the standard too
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

don't join Windsor ... i hear all the toffy-nosed poncers prance around there
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Blog Entries

Well the plan is to look into joining New Brighton tomorrow, on their web site it has a no joining fee offer but hte links it has to click on are not working hopefully the offer is still there.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt
    Well the plan is to look into joining New Brighton tomorrow, on their web site it has a no joining fee offer but hte links it has to click on are not working hopefully the offer is still there.
    Shouldn't you sort out your resignation from your old club first?

AP,

Grant can be a member of 2 clubs at the same time...

Quote Originally Posted by Trung
    AP,

Grant can be a member of 2 clubs at the same time...
    Yes, but I assumed that he wouldn't want to be financially committed to two at once, just in case his assumption that he could get out of a monthly payment plan was incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by jarro
    don't join Windsor ... i hear all the toffy-nosed poncers prance around there
    idiot, apart from the fact it would probably take over a hour to get there.

Peter

Senior Member Major Winner

Grant - there are so many other courses to choose from. Dump Mac Grange, sounds ridiculous. The only thing to consider is that you will have to factor in your 'nomination fee' before joining a new club. But 90 playing members isn't a lot - even at Gordon with swiss-cheese timesheets there are at least 120 starters every Saturday.
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Blog Entries

Just looking at the website for the pay by the month company Pay As You Golf. They have paid my membership in full so there is no getting out of my membership this year. I guess all I can do is keep at the current club admin to try and get Mac Grange into a decent facility for members.

You got me to look AndyP, I guess thanks are sort of in order I think.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

You got me to look AndyP, I guess thanks are sort of in order I think.
    Grunt, you are a hell of a lot more compulsive than me, whereas I tend to overanalyse things sometimes.

At least you've got some time now to decide if you really want to leave, and which club would be the best for you to go to.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Grant,

Another vote for changing clubs. After your membership runs out, give Mac the flick. It sounds like the owner is a real _____ (insert you choice of description here).

New Brighton is a good idea, but also consider Camden Valley. IMO, both are better layouts than Mac Grange.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Grant,

Another vote for changing clubs. After your membership runs out, give Mac the flick. It sounds like the owner is a real _____ (insert you choice of description here).

New Brighton is a good idea, but also consider Camden Valley. IMO, both are better layouts than Mac Grange.
    My membership runs out in 51 weeks. I renewed last Monday
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

Senior Member Major Winner

My membership runs out in 51 weeks. I renewed last Monday
    In that case, turn up, enjoy the golf, go home.

If you don't feel it's appropriate then don't spend your money over the bar or at the restaurant, but at the end of the day, it's still golf. Don't let club politics ruin your enjoyment of the game.
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

How can pay by the month pay your membership fee for the whole year???...

Regardless, i thought you could quit a club and get some of your subs back, shouldnt to hard to talk them through it and get a refund?

What Dan said, plus simply stay away from the controversies and keep your worthwhile opinions to yourself.

Your club will be poorer, but I guess it's part of being a privately owned club (or a one owner club, if you like).

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by connico
    How can pay by the month pay your membership fee for the whole year???...

Regardless, i thought you could quit a club and get some of your subs back, shouldnt to hard to talk them through it and get a refund?
    you subscript for the year, but the club allows you to pay it monthly. You would need to check the fineprint but I would think you have committed to 12 monthly instalments.

P

Thread Information