Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Default Parry reckons game favours long hitters

Parry: Long hitters favouredby: Marcus WilsonSportal.com.au

Veteran golfer Craig Parry says his short stature and modest hitting power makes winning this week's Jacob's Creek Open a huge challenge.

The 40-year-old predicts players that are adept at striking the long ball will have a distinct advantage at Royal Adelaide.

"This is a tough golf course, yesterday, in the sea breeze, it was very difficult - I think the long hitters do have an advantage around this golf course," he said.

"They are able to hit medium to short irons into the long par fours whereas the rest of us are using long irons in and it's very difficult to control the ball.

"Once you're using a two iron, quail high, just getting it in really low and it's not going to stop that quick."

He also joked the designer of the South Australian course wasn't thinking of shorter players (Parry is 168cm tall) when designing the challenging layout.

"I'm playing alright but I always struggle around (Royal) Adelaide because a lot of the holes go right to left and a lot of the holes are blind to me," he said.

"I mean the six foot guys might be able see a few more of the fairways but a lot of the fairways are blind."

And despite being one of the event's high profile competitors, Parry says competition will be tough.

He's confident Australia's emerging golfers will perform well in this week's event.

"There are so many young players coming through and it's just so hard to keep up with all of them."

A crop of talented American players are also set to vie for the championship.

But Parry believes the local golfers will have the edge, especially heading into the final two days of the event.

"It definitely favours the Aussies because of way the golf course will play, it's going to play harder and faster as the time goes on," he said.

"The guys from America aren't going to be used to be able to hit the ball in low …in general it will suit the Aussies."
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

The JW Classic at Vines is an example where course design didn't necessarily favour the long bombers.

Due to the course design, the long hitters had to throttle back to 3Ws and less to put the ball in attack positions. The long hitters could go the 'Big Dog' but they would have to be very accurate.

While walking with Aguilar (he could bomb it for his size) on a practise round on the Tuesday, we discussed the course setup. He felt that he had to play more shots that required him to be accurate and have to use mid-irons more than short irons.

He felt that the course dictated where he had to hit the ball rather than play his own game.
    "I don’t want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
    - Woody Allen

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Drive for show and putt for $$$$$$$$$$$

Banned

Someone just get him a milk crate

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by zigwah View Post
    Someone just get him a milk crate
    Pallett jack ?

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I bet a lot of the long-bombers wish they could chip'n'putt like Parry though
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

He's got a point, although at 6'2" I still had trouble seeing many of the landing areas at Royal Adelaide.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Quote Originally Posted by idgolfguy View Post
    The JW Classic at Vines is an example where course design didn't necessarily favour the long bombers.

Due to the course design, the long hitters had to throttle back to 3Ws and less to put the ball in attack positions. The long hitters could go the 'Big Dog' but they would have to be very accurate.

While walking with Aguilar (he could bomb it for his size) on a practise round on the Tuesday, we discussed the course setup. He felt that he had to play more shots that required him to be accurate and have to use mid-irons more than short irons.
    You're kidding, right. If they can hit a fairway wood or even a hybrid to the same place a shorter hitter hits driver, how can you say length isn't a massive bonus? 99% of golfers are more accurate with less club in their hands, so how is that not a benefit to being a big hitter?

Senior Member Major Winner

Fairly stupid statement as of course a longer hitter is going to have an advantage over a shorter hitter given their skill levels are similar.
    I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by dc68 View Post
    Fairly stupid statement as of course a longer hitter is going to have an advantage over a shorter hitter given their skill levels are similar.

I am with you mate.

What a bloody stupid comment.

His point was that when it came down to the shots requiring irons, there was not much of a difference in terms of distance and error margin when comparing a 6 iron to 7 iron. The high percentage areas didn't change whether you were long or short. The Vines' 'safe areas' did not require drivers even for the short hitters. They were fixed distances that did not require drivers even for the short hitters.

For example, the 17th did not require a driver unless you wanted to be playing your shot on a downslope. The flat spot on that hole was about 20-30 long. You either used a 6 iron or 7 iron in from there.

The 18th was the same. To reach the slope, you needed to carry 265m. Once you got there the slope carried you down to the 285-300m mark giving you about 165-180m in. For most this is a 1-1.5 club difference.

I saw Casey hit his drive past Dougherty on the 7th - about 15m in front. Casey's was 290m. He used an 8 iron cut in to 8ft. Dougherty used an 8 iron to 6ft.
    "I don’t want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
    - Woody Allen

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Poor Craig. A couple of flaws in his argument.

(1) Have a look at his physique. A few less chicko rolls & perhaps some more medicine ball crunches (and the rest) might help. Craig, give Tiger a call. He may have a few tips.

(2) To use a tennis analogy, imagine the laughter if someone like Hewitt claimed that the harder hitters had an advantage over the others. Duh?

Oh, and perhaps to throw in Craig's comment about having to hit two iron which is going to come in too low. Get a bloody hybrid mate if you want to launch higher.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrueReview View Post

(1) Have a look at his physique. A few less chicko rolls & perhaps some more medicine ball crunches (and the rest) might help. Craig, give Tiger a call. He may have a few tips.

(2) To use a tennis analogy, imagine the laughter if someone like Hewitt claimed that the harder hitters had an advantage over the others. Duh?

Oh, and perhaps to throw in Craig's comment about having to hit two iron which is going to come in too low. Get a bloody hybrid mate if you want to launch higher.

Quality post.
    Naturally grippy

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrueReview View Post
    So what he is saying is that "Short fat guys can't beat anyone"

Really . . . never would have picked that.

Next thing you know, chunky ex-NRL front-rowers will be complaining that forwards in the modern game need to be fit athletes; the fat bastards simply cannot compete.

News just in: Short players have a disadvantage in basketball!

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Being a short-arse who hit's worm burners never stopped Corey Pavin. I'm sick of hearing these whiney sound bites from Parry.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Quote Originally Posted by BrisVegas View Post
    Being a short-arse who hit's worm burners never stopped Corey Pavin. I'm sick of hearing these whiney sound bites from Parry.
    Or Justin Leonard.

I don't think Zach Johnson is a long hitter either.

RIP - Duncan Bennett & Leon Treadwell

Unitlink

Blog Entries

Ben Curtis too.

In Golf Digest WITB, his driver distance is 250m and 7 iron is 150m.
    Naturally grippy

Quote Originally Posted by BrisVegas View Post
    I'm sick of hearing these whiney sound bites from Parry.
    that's probably why he said it in 2006

Someone has been digging up old threads again !

Tim Clark is about a 4HC distance off all his clubs. He's 5'7'' and hits about 250m with the BigDog.
    - Woody Allen

But he uses a cheating stick.
    Forum needs more banter.

They should be banned. However, if they did, there would be almost no one playing on the Champions.
    - Woody Allen

So what? Who watches the senior tour anyway?
    Forum needs more banter.

If that tour dies, how am I going to get onto the pro circuit in a few years?
    - Woody Allen

I'll see your Zach Johnson & raise you a David Toms.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Thread Information