Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Major Winner

Default Great Irons & Woods Pre 1990. Those sticks you liked or had

Jack's pictures of a great looking set of Cobra Mild Steel Blades got me thinking of some of the great sets of sticks I've had over the years.

There are plenty of threads on crap clubs we've had/used.
    Thought it would be good to talk about some of the good ones we've had the pleasure of playing or those ones that some one else had in the club that you wanted yourself but were never able to get. Post pics of the models in question if you have them or can find them.

For me it's:
    No.1_Cobra Tourmodel II's.
    Got down to 12 playing a set of PGF Slammers (shovels) in my Junior years and went from 12 to into single figures playing my old man's Prosimmon Hallmarks when he was recovering from a knee injury. A couple of good golfers in the club had Tourmodel II's and I just loved the look of these blades and it was time to up grade from the shovels. They were no longer available new so I bought the replacement model TLC Grind (see worst stick thread). I tried hard to like the TLC Grinds but within 2 months I was regretting buying them and was on the hunt for some second hand Tourmodel II's. Got lucky after about 6 months when someone traded a set at the only Pro Shop in the area for some Spalding Tour Editions. Word got back to me that a set had been traded and a good deal was struck with the Pro as he knew I was unhappy with the TLC Grinds. Played a heap of good golf with these for a couple of years before upgrading to something else.
    Cobra Tour Model II_1982-84 (2).jpgCobra Tour Model II_1982-84.jpgCobra Tour Model II_1982-84 (1).jpg

No.2 Golden Ram Tour Grind Vib. Match
    Was happy with the Cobra Tourmodel II's but these always caught my eye sitting in the rack every time I went up to Renmark for a hit. All shiny and new and a slightly smaller head than the Cobras the voice in the back of my head keep whispering "you have to have these". Finally succumb to the inner voice. Played a heap of good golf with these for a couple of years too before the cavity back craze really took off with the Tommy Armour 845's and I followed like a sheep.
    Golden Ram Tour Grind Vib Match_1983-86 (1).jpgGolden Ram Tour Grind Vib Match_1983-86.jpg

No.3 Prosimmon Hallmark
    My old man had a set of these for 2 months before getting a knee injury playing indoor cricket in the Golf Club Team. I played these for about 3 months while he was on the side lines and went from 12 to single figures while waiting for my TLC Grinds to arrive. This was my first time using blades and hit them quite well. I didn't mid the look and loved the feel.
    I can't find any pics of these.
    Last edited by Hatchman; 17th May 2014 at 01:56 AM.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Hatch, the clubs from that era were really good. I had a set of Prosimmon Staffs that I played my best golf with. Tiny little heads but great ball flight and control.

For anyone after a set of Cobra Mild Steels, have a serious look at these:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wauch...ubs/1046706219

Full set 1-SW and they appear to be in really good nick. The price of $300 is completely unrealistic, but if you could get them for $150 then its a decent deal. They are very hard to find especially in a full set. There appears to be a couple of persimmon woods as well.

Was it the Macgregor tourney blade.. The wider one...

That was my favourite of the time.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Maxlfi DP 30. Maybe a little later than the vintage you guys are talking, but sweet none the less!
    In the bag

Taylormade Stealth 2 9.0 - AD DI 7X, Taylormade Sim 5 wood - AD DI 8X, P790 2/5-GW S300 AMT, Taylormade Hi Toe 53/14, 57/14, 60/10, Taylormade Spider, Taylormade 2018 staff bag

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post
    Was it the Macgregor tourney blade.. The wider one...

That was my favourite of the time.
    Which one Virge? The Muirfield 20th was the longer blade model that came out in 86 after Jack won the Masters with them. All the other Macgregor musclebaks are essentially the same club.

Quote Originally Posted by davepuppies View Post
    Maxlfi DP 30. Maybe a little later than the vintage you guys are talking, but sweet none the less!
    Agreed, a favourite. I still play with a guy who uses them (and flushes them). He loves them. Allenby used them as an amateur when he finished 2nd in the 1990 Aust Open at RM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Which one Virge? The Muirfield 20th was the longer blade model that came out in 86 after Jack won the Masters with them. All the other Macgregor musclebaks are essentially the same club.
    Very true - the one i remember had a diamond shape muscleback that was very subtle in the head. Trying to find one in google images.

Too many other versions of it.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I used to think the Cobra mild steels were the best looking clubs ever. Now to me they look like junkyard scrap metal.

Ah the good old days.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

The only pre 1990 sticks I've ever owned were PGF Status blades and Prosimmon DRK III's. I reckon the PGF's might even still be floating around at the olds... Might.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

There were a few versions of the Muirfield, the 20th was the largest. I prefered the standard Muirfield, nice compact blade with the diamond stamps, but they were all good.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Do putters count?

Sure

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

You say pre-1990 (but some of us aren't that old)... do these count? http://valueguide.pga.com/detail-exe...0Silver%20Scot

845s_silverscot_med.jpg

I remember a mate of mine getting a set of these in high school (so would've been 1991/1992 I reckon). Wished I had the cash to get a set, they were a sweet set of irons.
    Chopperlink | Chopperstats | Chopsticks | #ConfederatetillIdie

I used the 1 iron from the 845 set for a few years. The most offset club I've ever seen. Great fairway finder though.

I've gone back to putting with this 1979 model Ping Anser with the slot in the bottom. Still the benchmark for the style.

Macgregor made some great blades had a set of colokrom a thin top line. Copper faced! 2BEBA0B17815499D8184C00BF6582717.jpg

Got a set of Brosnan Tour Classics must have been crap as they gave them to me.
    Then moved onto the Ping eye 2 bandwagon that lasted years!
    Had a Hogan speed slot driver. A beast of a club with a ping 3 wood.
    Agree with all of the above some great sticks around!
    Last edited by Coldtopper; 16th May 2014 at 08:11 PM.

I used the 1 iron from the 845 set for a few years. The most offset club I've ever seen. Great fairway finder though.

I've gone back to putting with this 1979 model Ping Anser with the slot in the bottom. Still the benchmark for the style.

845s were awesome sticks.

Jack. That Anser is a thing of beauty. I still have the Redwood that you were kind enough to move on along with another that I bought and had re-milled and re finished. Just love it.

The sound that the slot on yours makes is awesome as well. Rarely, if ever replicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldtopper View Post
    Macgregor made some great blades had a set of colokrom a thin top line. Copper faced! Attachment 30492

Had a Hogan power slot driver. A beast of a club with a ping 3 wood.
    The colokroms were great irons. Small, precise heads that demanded pure swings.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaWatty View Post
    845s were awesome sticks.

Jack. That Anser is a thing of beauty. I still have the Redwood that you were kind enough to move on along with another that I bought and had re-milled and re finished. Just love it.

The sound that the slot on yours makes is awesome as well. Rarely, if ever replicated.
    Glad you are still luvvin the Redwood. I got it from Blakey I think. The slotted Pings feel really good. Way better than that Scotty whatshisname rubbish.

Found a speed slot wonder how many cc they had it was a massive head compared to many drivers. Hogan made some great woods and irons! Attachment 30493

nice putter jack! My ping anser is in the Yarra River after a trainee event at Latrobe. They made a great sound!

The guys at thegolfforum have a couple of retro days each year where we wheel out the old clubs like these. Guys play everything from hickories, to 50's Macgregor sets to the stuff I liked in the late 80's. It's great fun.

I played these at the last game we had at Healesville in Feburary:

Driver - Cleveland Classic RC85
    4 wood - Macgregor Muirfield 20th
    1-SW - Macgregor Muirfield
    Putter - Old Master W802 blade
    Ball - Titleist Professional 90 wound.

Had a set of the Muirfield 20th they were OK for me then, i found eye2's they stayed with me for the next 10 years

Decent sets i had from the period

FG17's - the loft went out on these real quick, complete with the JP wedges all really nice
    Maxfli Australian Blades- the ones with the gold script writing loved the block letter ones like Terry Gales but they were Japanese only
    Hallmarks- longer in the blade than anything else i really liked them, every one had a set
    Sounder SBIV - bought these not long ago but they got lost in a move nice compact great looking bats

I liked but could never afford anything Mizuno they were the MS back then, also love the look of the TP9's? the ones Lyle used at Augusta great looking irons

No idea about Woods, i can recall i had a hallmark driver and 3 wood, a Joe Powell deep head thing, a couple of hogans and a few Clevelands I always wanted the M85W Eye o Matic a great looking stick, i never found one. Got one of them in the museum Jack?
    Driver- Slazenger Bruce Devlin 1 1/2
    Fwy Wood - PGF Kel Nagle
    Irons - 2-PW Keith Knox R700
    Wedges - Wilson Jerry Pate
    Putter - ​Bulls Eye Copy

Quote Originally Posted by BenM View Post
    You say pre-1990 (but some of us aren't that old)... do these count? http://valueguide.pga.com/detail-exe...5s Silver Scot

Attachment 30491

I remember a mate of mine getting a set of these in high school (so would've been 1991/1992 I reckon). Wished I had the cash to get a set, they were a sweet set of irons.
    There were ones before that that were huge on the US Tour, they tried there hardest to beat Ping
    Fwy Wood - PGF Kel Nagle
    Putter - ​Bulls Eye Copy

Thats so cool Jack all matching! Green and white staff bag? The professional ball was the one in 90 or 100. Late 80's to 90's ?? Although tour editions was my choice then moved onto royal balata in the DDH pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldtopper View Post
    Macgregor made some great blades had a set of colokrom a thin top line. Copper faced! Attachment 30492

Had a Hogan speed slot driver. A beast of a club with a ping 3 wood.
    Hollowhead had those Macgregors

I remember the Brosnans, yours would have had X100 back then as well
    Fwy Wood - PGF Kel Nagle
    Putter - ​Bulls Eye Copy

Quote Originally Posted by spanner039 View Post
    I always wanted the M85W Eye o Matic a great looking stick, i never found one. Got one of them in the museum Jack?
    Actually, I have two.

This one is a mid 80's version

And this one is a 1952 original that I have just finished restoring, from this:

to this

There a full thread here which shows many of the other guys clubs (hope the Ozgolf mods don't mind me linking, please remove if not ok)

http://www.thegolfforum.com/index.ph...y-woods/page-1

Thread Information