Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I'm still gaming one but now it's a Ping Ketsch TR Heavy with one of the new Superstroke XL grips with the 50g weight that screws into the grip cap.

Results have been variable but that more me getting distance control dialled in and alignment correct.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I love my 38" Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7. It really helps me with distance control and not decelerating on the stroke. I can feel my putting motion is more of a pendulum (or not - in turn it also helps me feel when it is wrong too).

Maybe I need a counterbalanced wedge too I can't seem to solve the deceleration problem when I chip...

Spider Mallet 2.0 here. Although it's not a true counterbalance, it certainly helped me.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by coalesce View Post
    I love my 38" Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7. It really helps me with distance control and not decelerating on the stroke. I can feel my putting motion is more of a pendulum (or not - in turn it also helps me feel when it is wrong too).

Maybe I need a counterbalanced wedge too I can't seem to solve the deceleration problem when I chip...

Hocko!
    G'day. Good to see you're here still even if under a diff name.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by simmsy View Post
    Hocko!
    G'day. Good to see you're here still even if under a diff name.
    Nasty.

Banned

Just gone back to my TM Spider S counterbalanced. Even though not strictly counterbalanced, the heavy head and the heavy grip make it almost (and I stress, almost) automatic from inside 4-5 feet which I can't say about other putters I have.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I got a scotty x5 dual balance today. I actually putted best with my hands at the top of the grip. Better for the back too. I actually got it with the idea of removing the counter weight and having it 35 and really head heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by meh View Post
    I got a scotty x5 dual balance today. I actually putted best with my hands at the top of the grip. Better for the back too. I actually got it with the idea of removing the counter weight and having it 35 and really head heavy.
    Just got the Futura Dual Balance off mAxis1 with the same intention and just hitting putts on the carpet feel pure as is, Same thing though, standing tall and gripping high up. Interested to see how it goes on the weekend considering counterbalance and I do not get on.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I've played around a bit. Watched Matt Kuchar using a 38inch putter gripped low (for a while) for the counterbalance effect and tried it myself, then went to a 35 inch mallet. To experiment with counterbalancing I stuck a few different sized phillips head screw drivers through the pin hole in the end of the grip, weighing anyware from 40g to 150g. They stay in there very solidly even when you pull the club out of the bag repeatedly. Also tried a pair of 250g vice grip pliers on the end of the grip just to experience the effect of extreme couterbalancing. Ended up playing a few rounds with 75/100g screwdrivers in the end of a 35inch putter before settling on 100g as the right weight. IMO you sacrafice a tiny bit of distance control for a tiny bit more accuracy on short putts. To get the best of both worlds, I replaced the 35 inch shaft with a 37 inch shaft which gives me approximately 100g above my hands when gripped short and i grip it taller for long putts. I feel more confident over 4 footers, I suspect that is the main difference.
    Nike Vapor Flex Accra Tour Z 85 ST
    TEE E8b 15* Whiteboard 100
    TEE XCG7b 19* Accra XH105 Tour Red
    j36 CB 3-9 SPB
    Scratch 48b SPB
    Vokey 54, 60 C Taper
    Boccieri F3-DF Heavy
    #3 soft bristle Aldi special
    Chromesoft

Member Teaching Pro

i was fitted for a counterbalanced wide versa. very happy. much stronger for the short to medium putts.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Tried, don't like it, keep leaving putts short, gone back to my odyssey #7.

I have the SC Futura X Counterbalanced and my distance control has been very good with it and I seem to hardly miss anything within 5 feet now. My only gripe is that the longer I have had this putter the more I dislike the look of it. My wife bought it for me for Christmas so it is pretty hard to just ditch it as she would notice now that she plays golf with me pretty regularly now
    Golf is an ineffectual attempt to get an uncontrollable sphere into an inaccessible hole with instruments ill adapted to the purpose

Woods: Titleist 915 D2 10.5*,
    915 f15*, 915 h21*
    Irons:
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW
    Wedges:
    Titleist SM5 54/10* & 60/7*
    Putter:
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red
    Bag: Eagles & Birdies Links
    Bugy: Clickgear 3.5

Home Club: Kooringal
    Handicap
    Game Golf

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Hit one today and they feel like crap so glad I didn't get the Tank yesterday.

I just got a Bettinardi BB32 CB 38" as a training aid to smooth out my stroke. I fail to grasp how anyone could seriously consider gaming one though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    I just got a Bettinardi BB32 CB 38" as a training aid to smooth out my stroke. I fail to grasp how anyone could seriously consider gaming one though.
    They are a band aid solution. I have a 38" TM Daddy Long Legs counter balanced. It produced instant results to my at the time 6 putting but the long term effects were very detrimental. I find the extreme counter balancing encourages you to release the putter head way ahead of the hands, you then compensate by applying an extreme forward press. It throws everything out of whack including your sanity.

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    They are a band aid solution. I have a 38" TM Daddy Long Legs counter balanced. It produced instant results to my at the time 6 putting but the long term effects were very detrimental. I find the extreme counter balancing encourages you to release the putter head way ahead of the hands, you then compensate by applying an extreme forward press. It throws everything out of whack including your sanity.
    Edit: Having read the above posts I agree that 35" and lower is ok for counter balancing, my post is more directed at the extra long putters

Senior Member Major Winner

I have had as much success with my 37" counterbalanced putters as well as my 35" non-CB putters. I find as long as you don't rush the excess weight (back smooth, through smooth), they are as equally capable as regular putters.

I'm a fan of rolling 20-30 putts a day purely for rhythm and tempo. I have a debilatating shoulder injury that now effects my putting stroke. Drinking a fair bit of Bourban then racing around on a 500cc racing dirt was not one of my best moves. That was 25 years ago since I went went over the handle bars at about 80klm's with no helmet on.

I'm a fan of rolling 20-30 putts a day purely for rhythm and tempo. I have a debilatating shoulder injury that now effects my putting stroke. Drinking a fair bit of Bourban then racing around on a 500cc racing dirt was not one of my best moves. That was 25 years ago since I went went over the handle bars at about 80klm's with no helmet on.
    Were you the real Jake Peralta?

I'm a fan of rolling 20-30 putts a day purely for rhythm and tempo.
    Ive been doing the same thing with a putting mat and a mirror. Has helped my putting immensely - gone from averaging low 30s to high 20s per round, and has helped me get from 9 to 6 over the last few months.
    WITB (27/12/2022):Titleist TSR3 10 (Tour AD-DI 7S), Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Tour AD-95R), Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi (Project X U R), Titleist T300 4-P (DG AMT R), TItleist SM8 50.12, 54.8, 58.8 (DG), Scotty Cameron Monoblok 6.5 (35”, LA Golf Soho)

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Putted with a stroke lab square back putter today and have to say I was quite underwhelmed. I tried it originally in Drummond and it felt good, but once I got it out on course I really struggled with it. Obviously its more me but I didnt really like it at all. Face was too soft, didnt feel like I had control over the ball.
    WITB:
    Taylormade M3 9.5 Aldila Rogue X Stiff 70g
    Taylormade M1 3 Wood Aldila Rogue X Stiff 70g
    Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-6 with DG X100 shafts hard stepped.
    Mizuno MP20 Blade 7-P with DG X100 shafts hard stepped.
    Vokey SM7 50/08, 54/10, 60/08. 50deg in DG X100, 54deg & 60deg in S300.
    Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.5
    Titleist ProV1

Thread Information