Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Member Club Pro

Option d for me

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I couldn't find a recent "less than 14" clubs specific thread, but google helped me thread mine this one. Some of the <14 chat was in the 5 club challenge, and Golf club prioritisation threads.

I played with nine clubs today, because of a few reasons. It was a social round, so why not; I'd already broken my five iron shaft on the Friday of the Vic Champs; and, I wanted a lighter bag to carry to give the shoulder a fitness test.

It was fine. The main problem I had was that I accidentally put in an old Maxfli Ezydrive 22* hybrid, instead of the Nickent Genex 17* hybrid. This burnt me on the first four holes, where I would have used it.

The intended bag was:
    Driver 10*
    Hybrid 17*
    Irons 4, 6, 8, P
    Wedges 50*, 54*
    Putter

The one birdie that I scored was from a great approach with a club that would have been one more than what I would have usually used. I think we are playing another social nine holes next Sunday, so we'll see how things go with the correct hybrid in the bag.

Senior Member Major Winner

We had a 9 hole 3 club comp on Friday and I had 17 points. Today with a full bag (10 clubs) I had 13 around the front from the same tees.

It’s a funny game.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    We had a 9 hole 3 club comp on Friday and I had 17 points. Today with a full bag (10 clubs) I had 13 around the front from the same tees.

It’s a funny game.
    Kind of highlights what we’ve been saying

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post

It’s a funny game.
    Never had more than 17 with 14 clubs?

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

9 holes today walking with no clubs of my own. Just borrowed clubs and balls off the four guys playing in the comp.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    9 holes today walking with no clubs of my own. Just borrowed clubs and balls off the four guys playing in the comp.
    DQ but so much

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    Never had more than 17 with 14 clubs?
    Never had 14 clubs

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

My 10 club bag as follows:

Driver
    16 degree hybrid
    4 Iron
    6-PW
    Putter

If its a country course with few bunkers will probably swap the 56 for the gap wedge

My 16 hybrid with a full swing can reach up to 200 maximum (driver like swing!) , but I can also play a knockdown cut around 160. Its also perfect in sketchy rough as often I only need a 3/4 swing to reach the green

If you want the 3wood off the deck shot learn to use your driver, might launch a little lower but can get similar distance if you hit it correctly

I always walk unless the social club has pre booked carts. I like the exercise and the little longer between shots. I don't carry the bag though, just drag a buggy behind me. I don't have the full 14 clubs because I lost the 7 iron years ago and never replaced it. Driver, 3 and 5 wood, 3-9 iron minus the 7, PW, SW and of course the putter.

Last game 2 weekend ago at Blackwood I used the same half set plus my normal Driver in the carry bag I use for Xmas Cup at Keynton Valley.
    Driver
    Persimmon 4 wood
    1,3,5,7,9 Irons
    48 and 54 Wedges
    Putter
    Turned out the even number Iron would have been better than the odds.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Hatchy:

I concur, evens worked better for me as well, 2,4,6,8,w when I used an alternate iron setup

But now I just accept the fact for for any shot >150m I am happy to be less dialled into a number and more about getting it as close to the green as possible

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    Turned out the even number Iron would have been better than the odds.
    Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    Hatchy:

I concur, evens worked better for me as well, 2,4,6,8,w when I used an alternate iron setup

I like evens mainly because when I get down to the PW the gap to my sand wedge is precisely what the gap is between my irons. 6-8*.

Member Club Pro

I've also settled on evens. D, Hy, 4, 6, 8, PW, 52 seems to work perfectly for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hippo10 View Post
    I've also settled on evens. D, Hy, 4, 6, 8, PW, 52 seems to work perfectly for me.
    You still in France?? They let you be so provocative?

Golf is a walking game. I abhor cart golf and never use carts unless it's mandated. And I generally avoid courses where carts are mandated.
    I carry a lot, using my 2018 14-way Sun Mountain H2NO, although I had some unrelated stiffness in my back recently that has forced me to use my Clicgear 3.5+. I love the freedom that carrying gives you - you have your hands free and you just feel like you can go anywhere.
    I've not yet had much experience with half sets. Will give it a crack next time I go for a practice round. Did you guys listen to that recent episode of The Golfer's Journal podcast where Tom Coyne interview Geoff Cunningham from LinkSoul? Among other things, they talk about the colour-coded four-club set of irons LinkSoul has designed with Muira. Man, I could listen to Geoff Cunningham and John Ashworth talk about golf all day long. I totally lean into their philosophy on golf and life. Would love to visit The Goat one day too.
    Ping G400 Max 9* w/ KuroKage TiNi Silver 60
    Titleist 917 F2 15* w/ Aldila Rogue Max 75 S
    TaylorMade TP UDI 20* w/ KuroKage 70 S graphite
    Mizuno MP-4 4-PW w/ Project X Rifle 6.0
    SM5 Vokey 50* F Grind & 54* F Grind
    SM6 Vokey 60* S Grind
    Bettinardi Queen B 8

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyJuzzy View Post
    Golf is a walking game. I abhor cart golf and never use carts unless it's mandated. And I generally avoid courses where carts are mandated.
    I carry a lot, using my 2018 14-way Sun Mountain H2NO, although I had some unrelated stiffness in my back recently that has forced me to use my Clicgear 3.5+. I love the freedom that carrying gives you - you have your hands free and you just feel like you can go anywhere.
    I've not yet had much experience with half sets. Will give it a crack next time I go for a practice round. Did you guys listen to that recent episode of The Golfer's Journal podcast where Tom Coyne interview Geoff Cunningham from LinkSoul? Among other things, they talk about the colour-coded four-club set of irons LinkSoul has designed with Muira. Man, I could listen to Geoff Cunningham and John Ashworth talk about golf all day long. I totally lean into their philosophy on golf and life. Would love to visit The Goat one day too.
    Fuzzy: ditch the 14 way bag and get yourself a PING Moonlite or Callaway Hyperlite complete with a sandwich container for sand. Weight difference might not seem much but your back will feel much lighter particularly on the back nine playing a sub 3 hour round

Personally I have the Hyperlite bag and love having two straps as it helps me balance the weight on my sensitive back

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Whilst I am not a half set player,I did play a half set while at Cobden.I had all my clubs in the bag,but pulled the iron covers off all the even numbers and only played those.It made me play a couple of shots I normally wouldn't,but in the end found no real disadvantage.Toying with the idea of a half set for tomorrow in the Beacon hills monthly medal

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Do it, Joe, and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    Whilst I am not a half set player,I did play a half set while at Cobden.I had all my clubs in the bag,but pulled the iron covers off all the even numbers and only played those.It made me play a couple of shots I normally wouldn't,but in the end found no real disadvantage.Toying with the idea of a half set for tomorrow in the Beacon hills monthly medalSent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    You’ve won everything with a full bag, it’s time to challenge yourself

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

He won everything because he had a full bag. Why mess with a winning formula.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Walked today with 9 sticks in the bag. As enjoyable as ever.

Will walk again tomorrow with the same.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Ok.Bag is a Mizuno aerolite DLX.
    In the bag
    Driver :TM m3 9.5degree
    Hybrid : titleist 915hd 20.5degree
    Irons: 5,7,9
    Wedges 52,56,60
    Putter : ping answer 2 milled face
    Ball : Callaway ERC soft
    Will be carrying.Lets see how this goes

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Member Club Pro

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    You still in France?? They let you be so provocative?
    Yep, the country is revolutionary and proud of it!

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

I have played with 9-10 clubs almost all comps since our 5 club challenge months ago. Have scored no worse. Had a 38 and 39 stab pts with part set. Last week was the first round where I felt I always landed on the yardage for a missing wedge or iron and messed up the 3/4 swing most times. Like a few above, walking direct lines, plonking your sticks on the tee box, lighter bag and free hands are all pluses to the day. My biggest beef is frequently leaving the range finder in the full club bag when I take the carry bag and vica versa. That stuffs my day on a big scale.

Thread Information